I think most people can agree that out of all the Spider-Man movies, The Amazing Spider-Man had the best Flash

I think most people can agree that out of all the Spider-Man movies, The Amazing Spider-Man had the best Flash.

I think most people don't give a shit about Flash Thompson and wouldn't remember him from the Raimi or Webb movies.

I can agree that he played the jock role pretty well, but Homecoming really captured the douchiness and popularity pretty well.

He wasn't very accurate (none of them were), but seeing him try to console Peter after the chocolate milk incident was nice.

>Penis Parker

This. Flash also being a Spidey fanboy at the end was pretty accurate

Raimi's Flash looked like a Disney bully. Webb' Flash looked like an actual jock bully, but had an empathetic side. Disney's Flash is fucked.
I don't know what this guy is smoking.

I don't know how they managed to bastardize Flash so badly in Homecoming. Flash is supposed to be a dumb muscular jock, not a scrawny nerd who looks like he doesn't even weigh 100 pounds soaking wet.

Funny how he's Mac Gargan in Homecoming.

Why would a dumb jock be in a preppy school of super geniuses?

We haven't had a single good Flash because nobody remembers what Flash actually was. He wasn't just some bully jock or a douchey popular kid. He was a guy struggling to remain relevant to his "friends" who both envied Peter's intelligence and was frustrated by the dude's antisocial personality. He constantly jeered at Peter and got pissy about Liz, but his being a bully was mostly in Peter's head.

Why would Peter have to be in a gimmicky school of quirky genius kids

Because he's a quirky genius kid?

Replace quirky with "stick in the mud antisocial."

>Quirky

Nope

You can go to schools that can have classes specifically for smart kids but the whole fucking school doesn't have to be specifically for that just so we can get weird characters that fall flat at being funny

>Sony executive thought process

This. No one ever cared about Flash in the movies, and the only time Comic readers ever gave any kind of a fuck about him was during Agent Venom. Most "Not Muh Flash" and Poo in Da Loo complaints can be boiled down to "We'll never have agent Venom in the mcu" and big deal, that was never ever going to happen.

WHEN I SAY PENIS YOU SAY PARKER

PENIS

>the only time Comic readers ever gave any kind of a fuck about him was during Agent Venom
Fuck you, you don't get to speak for me.

I liked the hint about his background with abuse too. As far as one-note bully characters go, he was fine.

MORALES

>douche, jerkass yet popular chad who constantly belittles peter for being smarter than he is
seems like homecoming captured flash pretty well
he doesnt need to be a 50s sports jock, which would be somewhat out of place in a tech school anyways

seems like a good way to modernize the character

Okay, so Flash had a pretty cool moment in Maximum Carnage where he was trying to defend the Parker home, but got beat up and saved by the Molten Man. But can you honestly say that you cared at all about Flash before he was teamed up with Venom? I know I sure as hell can't.

You'd be wrong.

See
Even in the Ditko days, Flash was barely a bully and his popularity was depicted as ephemeral. The elements they've retained are just as superficial as his being a jock.

The thing is, times do change. The buff chad type bully is kind of an old stereotype. Most jocks have to stay in line and be nice. They're so inwardly focused they have little time to bully. They also are often on teams and know about morale. They tend to be good people.

Where as rich Indian kids are entitled snobbish human garbage. It makes sense flash would be this, because these are kinds of jealous insecure fuck heads who try to belittle others to make themselves look better.

This.

>Characters only matter when fighting bad guys.
>Flash's decades long arc? Fuck that, he fought a bad guy in a shit crossover! Becoming a coach to find an outlet for his pent up aggression and help kids? YAWN!

Go fuck yourself, seriously. This kind of thinking leads to awful storytelling.

I'd say so yeah

That seems a bit far fetched.

Flash is irrelevant outside of Agent Venom, he's simply a staple for the "nerd persona" that needs to bully people to show that Peter is an outcast/loser. Which he was in Homecoming, the Garfield version was just a douche who rode a skateboard. Pajeet Flash is at least rememberable.

Go be a contrarian dipshit someplace else.

>I don't know how they managed to bastardize Flash

He's just someone that makes fun of Peter. It's a completely background character. Holy shit you wikifags are in full force, do you also want the film to take place in the 60's and Peter to go through all his established love interests and events from the comics in a chronological order?

Except, as discussed earlier in the thread, the "bullying" is mostly in Peter's head and stories that necessitate Peter actually getting bullied tend to use other characters, usually no-names.

Flash's purpose over time --at least before they became friends as adults-- was to subtly highlight that Peter isn't an absolute moral compass. He deals with a lot of similar problems to Peter and they antagonize each other constantly. The worst Flash does in 616 is occasionally push or trip Parker, and this is an expression of his strong sense for justice and childishness (Peter comes off as a cold, antisocial slimeball to a lot of people).

He's an extremely important facet to the story of Peter's youth and it's fucking amazing how people keep getting it wrong despite the collective boner for young Peter.

All of what you wrote I could see in Flasheet during the movie, I can at least call him an actual character unlike the one in the OP which I barely remember. Being a tall, white and blond jock is a cliché if anything at this point.

Would Flasheet be a good Agent Venom?

>The worst Flash does in 616 is occasionally push or trip Parker

Oh, well that's totally normal and okay behavior. I know if I, as an adult, were regularly pushed and tripped by another adult I would just shrug it off. It's really no big deal.

Well I would Spider Sense flip behind him and garrote his throat with my razor thin web.

>Oh, well that's totally normal and okay behavior.
For kids, yeah! Especially considering almost every instance is retaliation to Peter's douchebaggery. It stopped when they were, what, sophomores in college?

I'm not saying Flash is in the right, he was a fucking dick, but he sure as fuck wasn't a bully. Peter talked mad fucking shit, nabbed his girlfriend and disrespected her at the same time, pissed all over Flash's hero, and knocked the motherfucker out in a friendly. The whole fucking point is that Peter doesn't get that they're pretty much the same.

You know, I'm not gonna argue either version is good, but Flash looking stereotypical is just as intentional as Peter looking like a stereotypical nerd. They both assume the other is a stereotype, which frustrates them and causes them to lash out at each other.

>Peter
>Shrugging things off

We're talking about the guy who has an endless guilt complex because some family members died, constantly undermines himself for petty reasons, and has had like ten existential crises.

Do you people even read comics?

Amy Pascal wanted curry nigger Venom. Hence making Flash a curry nigger, since they could then give him a spin-off where he gets the alien costume and becomes an edgy as hell super-hero that torments poor little white boy Peter Parker.

Actually it wasn't. Ditko/Lee Flash Thompson, was a right shit, though they also made a huge point about downplaying his sports ability as part of their deconstruction of the attractive jock character so fans couldn't sympathize with him.

This was partly Ditko's doing since he saw Flash, per his Randian philosophy, as a worthless dumb jock who was a fake and a fraud of a tough guy and who not only wasn't fit to carry Peter's jock strap, but also unknowingly worshipped Peter's costumed identity.

It was not until Ditko left the book that Stan Lee started to try and "rehab" Flash's character, via the tried and true cliche where the school bully decides college is for suckers and goes into the military, which fucks his shit up so badly that the bully repents and changes his evil ways and tries to make amends when he gets out. With the added bonus of Vietnam mindfucking Flash to the point of breaking him of his egomania and shit and cause him to want to apologize to Peter, who by this point is now the Alpha Chad and has his own harem (Gwen, MJ, Betty, and Flash's ex Liz).

Also the abuse angle is a retcon tossed in during the eary 90s to further retcon Flash's bad behavior and explain it away as far as why Peter would want to be in the same room as Flash, let alone worry about him when his psycho ex Black Cat started fucking him and when Kingsley framed him as Hobgoblin.

Also Flash's dad was a big shot smarty type who hated that he had a dirty jock as a son and beat him mercilessly to beat the athlete out of him.

Later, they ended up re-retconning his dad from a successful teacher type to a worthless drunk, when they decided to make Flash a drunk to.

Ironically, this is why Flash as Venom never fucking worked. The only fucking reason for making Flash Venom would be to reset Venom back to pure evil, since Flash has legit reasons to want Peter dead that would make him and the costume fast friends.

You're describing Steve's intent, not what actually made it to page. You'd have to either skim the book or have a similar mindset to read Flash in the early issues as anything more than a slightly jerky guy swinging back at Peter. It's similar to how Steve would empathize with Peter not getting a date with Liz after he blew her off to save people. Sure, Steve sees it that way, but in the comic itself you just have Peter being oblivious to how much of a jerk he came off as.

In short, it's a Death of the Author situation. The later retcons were based on extrapolation from what was already there, not a whitewashing of the scenario.

>Venom/Flash would only work from mutual hate.
>Not because of their mutual, complicated feelings towards Peter, the suit acting as a substance abuse allegory and an outlet for his frustrations, and the various other themes directly addressed in the Flash-Venom books.
You're entitled to your opinion, but that's fucking nonsense. Even if Flash never changed from ASM 5, his idolization of Spider-Man outweighs any beef he had with Peter.