Let's have a Spaceknight thread, Sup Forums. We don't have these nearly often enough

Let's have a Spaceknight thread, Sup Forums. We don't have these nearly often enough.

- Created by the great Bill Mantlo
- Really cool lore and good stories despite being a throw-away toy license
- Most of the property now owned by Marvel
- Marvel doesn't give a shit

Favorite spaceknight stories? Favorite character? How do you like the IDW ROM relaunch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uiMZIH8kvTo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ROM is terribly underrated and Marvel made a huge mistake doing absolutely nothing with him for so many years which leads me to bring up,
>How do you like the IDW ROM relaunch?
I'm actually enjoying it a lot and I've noticed the art has gotten a bit better with each issue. The Dire wraiths are neat and the supporting human characters are likeable and have something interesting to them while not hogging any spotlight away from the space knights whatsoever.
Honestly I'm glad IDW got ahold of ROM because with all the awful stuff they've been churning out...It was practically rescued.

>all the awful stuff MARVEL has been churning out
Needed to be more specific there.

I agree. I like the take they did on it to make it original but keep it close to Mantlo's version. It feels like it could be a realunch of the same character, barring the copyright nonsense.

And since Marvel and Disney don't care enough to buy the rights to ROM from Hasbro or even sign a contract to republish his comics, this is probably the best we can hope for.

Man ROM was my childhood but I never actually got to read the end of the series, someone storytimed it back a few months ago and frankly... I'd have preferred if I had kept my memories

What's wrong user?

Rom is pretty fucking shit desu

Seconded. It was a bit awkward at first, but now that we're in full ROM mode, with minimal crossovers and such, it really does feel like an updated version of the original with some added wrinkles. I'm really enjoying ROM's interaction with his fellow Spaceknights in particular.

As for Marvel, I wish someone would tell us what happened to Brandy Clark and Ikon. I know that Galador was apparently destroyed a while back and that there's a team of random space yahoos using the Spaceknights name, but I'd love a story about Starshine and Ikon, the adopted queen of a dead planet and her failed steward, just travelling around the universe trying to keep the Galadorian way alive. Or something like that.

FUCK YEAH ROM

Why don't you like it?

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW!!!

I tried to read the IDW series, but the seemingly constant crossovers with every other possible Hasbro property were getting a bit much.

yeah, that bit is terrible

Mantlo really liked the "Kill everyone off when the title ends" type of conclusion. He did it both for ROM and for Micronauts.

IDW ROM is amazing. Fuck them for ending it.

Buncha old woman. Get balls woman.

It's ending already?

As an ongoing. Its merging with Micronauts to become 'ROM & The Micronauts', but thats all we know.

HOPEFULLY, that means two separate stories in one issue or something, but it won't be.

It sucking fucks, it fucking sucks, it fucking blows, it's a piece of shit... and I don't like it

ROBOTITS

What the fuck are you even talking about, idiot?

That's a bit unfair, Marvel can use the Spaceknights but not ROM himself nor the dire wraiths, and they were killed off anyway so there's really no point. That said, recently the Spaceknights have appeared in Annihilation, Conquest, and Infinity, so they're still a part of Cosmic. They also tried pushing Ikon as the new ROM in Annihilators but she didn't make much of a splash.

I have no idea what that is, but the coloring of that cover makes me cream.

Storytime in progress

So does the IDW version of Rom have there own space knights or something else? I think Marvel and IDW both had wraiths as enemies? Its been a while since I read anything ROM related.

Yes and yes.

IDW Rom has the "solstar order" who were mentioned in the original toy commercial and thus isn't Marvel's. The wraiths were also mentioned in that commercial, though Marvel tried to sue IDW over them anyway. Not sure what happened there.

>Honestly I'm glad IDW got ahold of ROM because with all the awful stuff they've been churning out...It was practically rescued.

They were going to give ROM to Bendis if Marvel got the rights back.

ROM going to IDW was for the best.

What the fuck? Seriously? I like both but both comics have a very distinct feel.

Up for an artdump?

>tfw Steve fucking Ditko takes over your comic

One of the benefits of rebooting ROM in the company that you own: getting to hire anyone you want to do covers.

Including the actual, original ROM artist.

Man, a whole issue of ROM by Simonson would've been godlike.

Looks like shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=uiMZIH8kvTo

More

kil self

bump

Is this for real?

I don't know. They might just be fan art. There was a Rom art jam some years back as part of a fundraiser for Bill Mantlo, IIRC.