What do you think of Warren Ellis, Sup Forums?

What do you think of Warren Ellis, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rape_of_Wonder_Woman_(Unreleased_Mark_Millar_Comic_Book_Script)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like his comic that stars the cynical British guy with a substance abuse problem.

>So you like to watch Castlevania

I like Transmetropolitan, not a fan of much else.

I'm a fan since Transmetropolitan, have read almost everything since then, but I don't think he ever achieved that level of quality again

I haven't read all that he has written, but all he has written I read, I liked.

He have a nice beard

>psychopass insect.png
Thats a mothafucking STALKER suit. Go play that game and educate your ignorant self

More a line cook than a chef

Nothing great or good. Just mediocre in a medium filled with shit.

Why did he cut ties with Avatar Press? He used to write comics for them all the time, but now all of his creator-owned comics work is at Image.

Cannot finish a job. Lazy off of laurels.

Planetary was great, he really needs to break out of his usual style more often.

Supergod?

Planetary and transmetropolitian have given him some good reads

No, the other one.

Nextwave's fun too. He does fall back on his Marvel books though. They're fun pageturners, but they don't do much beyond that, and by the time Ellis finally gets a grasp on what he wants to do with the character, he hands it off to another writer for a less interesting run.

I'd argue that Transmet is good. Not great all the way through but it does have some great issues. Most of his stuff comes off like an edgy teenager that's mad at his parents because they won't let him stay out past curfew. That bleeds into Transmet a bit but he manages to pull back just enough not to spoil the whole thing.

I think he deserves a spot with Moore and Gaiman. He's not always good like Gaiman and doesn't hit the highs of Moore but he is damned good at what he does
read Orbiter, everyone forgets about that one

he's become unreliable, I can only start reading his stuff once it's finished because he loses interest fast

I looked forward to Gun Machine being a TV show, but then everyone saw Powers on Sony and like that all the original TV initiatives disappeared for video game consoles.

Also Global Frequency never catching on was a shame.

He is a poet of vulgarity and love him for it.

He's a good writer. He can handle vulgarity and violence in a way that manchildren like Millar can't, in that it feels organic to his stories.

Nextwave?

>but then everyone saw Powers on Sony and like that all the original TV initiatives disappeared for video game consoles
BEEEEEENDIIIIISSSSSS

I prefer when he stears away from it a bit. No Hero was absolute garbage

I want him and Morrison to rub their heads together to make fire

I hear Castlevania was good. As for his works, I fucking love Planetary, really like Authority and Moon Knight, I didn't really care for his X-Men and I'm waiting to see when Injection will end so I can read it.
What other works should I read? I'm going to read Global Frequency and Thunderbolts. What other good/great stuff he has written?

Sup Forums of ages past lusted after his daughter

a Sup Forumsmrade actually dated Gaiman's daughter

>Sup Forums of ages past lusted after his daughter
What kind of daughter user?

Even though the finale's in development limbo, Fell is fucking cool.

why didn't you like his X-men? I loved it, it spotlighted the part that had been dropped since Claremont. They are all sexual deviants

His Thunderbolts run is amazing. Read Supergod, it's pretty interesting. His Nextwave run is also good.

In an industry filled with assholes that spend 12++ issues to write "epics", 9 times out of 10 he manages to outdo them all with 20 page stories.

I would have liked it more if Ellis continued beyond a handful of trades. It seemed like he was going to carve a new path for the X-Men like Morrison did, but he got bored and left before he could actually do it.

oh yeah, I kinda agree on that point. I wouldn't compare him to Morrison's run, more Whedon's run. Also, he started off with 2 amazing artists and it went downhill FAST

Just felt too artificial. Also didn't really know what it wanted to be. It was trying to be an Ellis'blockbuster but he had to be reigned in because it couldn't go full edge so it ended up being really boring and so unremarkable that I don't even know what actually happened.

>Also, he started off with 2 amazing artists and it went downhill FAST
Just like Morrison then

Yeah, I think Marvel was scared that Ellis would pull a Morrison and make the X-Men stray too far from the status quo. And because of that, there hasn't been a great X-Men comic in ages, and with Perlmutter and Alonso, I doubt we'll ever get one.

One of my very favorite authors. I like his in-your-face style and his newsletter is pretty interesting when he hasn't worn himself out traveling.

Supergod is terrible, but I like it in a "so bad it's good" way. Nextwave is amazing though.

Millar uses his edge to try and be taken seriously. Ellis uses edge because he recognizes the ludicrousness of it and does it for fun.

Huh, I just realized the mayor in the first episode of Castlevania was a Warren Ellis self-insert.

>I'm waiting to see when Injection will end so I can read it.

I'm still waiting for Trees, but I don't think he will end any of that anytime soon.

Ironically No Hero was the first thing of his I read so everything else he wrote that I read after seemed tamer and more reasonable by comparison.

No Hero is about the only one of his works I've read so far that I actively hate. It reads more like an above average Millar comic (which is still shit).

planetary, authority/stormwatch, nextwave
some of the best cape comics ever done
he's awesome, never read anything he's done that i haven't liked

Not that one, the other one.

You can pick up the double shots from Avatar fairly cheap:

MEK/Reload
Tokyo Storm Warning/RED (yes, that Red, which is vastly different from the film but it is also 3 issues)

These are all basically him running on one-note ideas but they're fun.

Probably shit artists

His health can't handle a Bendis or Bunn-tier workload.

don't break the truce

ok, I get that. But I still class it higher than anything since him except Spurrier

You mean that one black and white comic he did about British archers in medieval times?

(Someone remind me what that was called, by the way.)

You mean his Sherlock black and white book in Steampunk era? Aetheric Mechanics?

I'm just being an ass here

>So you like to play Castlevania, Mr. Stark.

He is a man with a vision. Also if you grant Sup Forums another of your visits, please tell us what the future will bring.

I think he needs to finish Trees already in two plumes into this shit and we've got no anwser and no sequel

So you don't like Transmetropolitan?

Even when I knew Spider was American, I just imagined him sounding like Michael Caine.

If DC had gone through with that, then the Bat-Nipples in Batman and Robin would suddenly make a lot more sense.

We don't go there

>Global Frequency

I completely forgot about this. The two guys with healing factors fight was nuts.

Planetary was his best work by far though.

The savior of anime

orbiter is great, probably my favorite from him

Well, not directly. But he played a part in inspiring its true saviors.

No goddammit the other one!

trees
fell
doktor sleepless
desolation jones
new universal
jack cross
anna mercury

welcome to purgatory user

Ellis needs some Ritalin, because he has a hundred unfinished projects that never get done because he always announces a dozen more every other month.

>Hickman V1

hahah yesss.jpg

he's not as good as everyone thinks he is

hickman is finishing the dying and the dead
SHIELD has been done since 2014 or something but marvel doesn't publish it for some reason

Gotta say, seeing his name in the credits made me go "Oh, that explains it."

>Ellis needs some Ritalin, because he has a hundred unfinished projects that never get done because he always announces a dozen more every other month.
Sounds like the same illness Del Toro's suffering from.

His Thunderbolts got me into Thunderbolts. To me it seemed he has great respect for Marvel universe, referencing Daredevil's #191 issue right off the bat, having just majestic Goblin characterization and etc.

Too bad Marvel has none of that these days.

Huh. All this time I thought it WAS a Millar comic.

makes me think...Was he making a jab at Millar?

Crecy.

I love much of his earlier work, and strongly suggest people read Lazarus Churchyard and City of Silence, but he lost his fire when his laptop with shitloads of scripts disappeared after the repairguy died.

It killed off Fell and Doktor Sleepless, which was a shame. It killed off Desolation Jones, which I don't care about.

We will never have Stealth Tribes released. Fuck this timeline.

>Why did he cut ties with Avatar Press?

Wait, he did? I mean I was guessing Avatar might be having some kind of financial situation (weren't some of the books like the recent Uber miniseries Kickstarted?)

>Millar uses his edge to try and be taken seriously. Ellis uses edge because he recognizes the ludicrousness of it and does it for fun.

Really? Cause I get the impression Millar does it for fun as well. I don't get a sense that Millar's trying to be taken seriously the way like Identity Crisis gets taken seriously or whatever.

He's really bad.

He's my favorite comic book writer. over 50% of my comic collection is written by this man. I buy pretty much anything he writes. I loved his short story Dead Pig Collector.

That was very informative. Turns out it was an exercise in corpse disposal. Also, I learned that it only takes $100 and a Home Depot to properly dispose of a corpse.

His Avatar Press comics are sorely underrated.

I've had the chance to converse with him back when he was writing FreakAngels and posting on the WhiteChapel forums. He's a character alright.

Pic related

Millar just sucks. People were praising his Jupiters trilogy as the best deconstruction of Superheros since Watchmen. But it is just paper thin garbage (even No Hero was better and I hated that). It's just paste on characters with no personality. maybe it's it's attempt to critique cartoon characters, but it fails because it's just so badly written. I feel like I'm reading some sort of garfield strip for fuck sakes.

I want to know too! His work at Avatar Press is some of my favorite!

He never finished writing the last two issues of Anna Mercury 2.

God dammit I wanted to see her and every other agent take on that city sized viking longboat from beyond space.

>His Avatar Press comics are sorely underrated.
this

Ah, Supergod was a great read.

3rd best comic writer of all time

>Millar just sucks.

This is true but it doesn't discredit the idea that Millar does it because he thinks it's funny.

This is the guy who said

>"I pitched this to DC for a laugh years back. The idea was that, like Death of Superman, we had Rape of Wonder Woman; a twenty-two page rape scene that opened up into a gatefold at the end just like Superman did."

lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rape_of_Wonder_Woman_(Unreleased_Mark_Millar_Comic_Book_Script)

He's planning on ending Trees soon. He stated in his newsletter that Trees never caught on the way he wanted it to so it's going to wrap up after the next arc or two.

Ellis is in Injection for the long haul. He likes that book and adores working with Declan Shalvey.

I'm still miffed at him for never finishing Anna Mercury 2.

It's pretty mental.

oh my fucking god...

All of Ellis' works are mental, and that's why I love reading his stuff.

He's self aware and puts in the work. That is when he actually finishes a project.

>adores working with Declan Shalvey.
who wouldn't. The guy is a master

He's pretty good.

the art's nice at least

>over 50% of my comic collection is written by this man
your collection must be pretty small

I'm also a fan of his entire bibliography.

Quietly is overrated as fuck. He's good but not good if he has to put out a book on time. Keep him on graphic novels and he would be better. Him on a monthly is a no buy for me cause he doesn't do a good job

People take Identity Crisis seriously? I mean I liked it at first but I've never read more of a 'whoops wrote myself into a corner here' ending.