Marvel is backpedaling big time

Marvel is backpedaling big time.

ign.com/articles/2017/07/10/spider-man-homecoming-producers-on-the-reveal-of-that-characters-nickname

>Feige: Well, we never even looked at it as a big reveal necessarily but more of just a fun homage to his past adventures and his past love. She's not Mary Jane Watson. She never was Mary Jane Watson. She was always this new high school character, Michelle, who we know there's an "M" in Michelle and an "M" in Mary. [laughs] So we're so clever and we thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if her initials were MJ?" And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate. It was never a big, "Oh my God, it's a big reveal!" There are big reveals in the movie. That's not one of them.

>Pascal: She is not going to end as being Mary Jane Watson.

>Feige: She's not Mary-Jane Watson. Is she going to date Peter? Are they going to fall in love? She seems to be intrigued with him. There's a nice chemistry there. Who knows what will happen in the future films?

Lets devote an entire scene to having Michelle telling everyone to call her "MJ". But its definitely not intended to be taken seriously. Was just a funny nod, guise!

I'm so sick of dozens of threads about this bitch.

I wish she was MJ just to piss off the racist fans.

Is everyone with the last name Feig/Feige a colossal piece of dogshit?

People are more upset about the waffling and Sony trying to have it both ways with a OC creation

>Wanting a character even vaguely resemble the character they are named after is now racist

>backpedaling

Define backpedaling. You think they're scared of the couple of idiots crying online about a nickname?

People have been saying that since for fucking ever. Sorry your outrage-driven headcanon wasn't validated user.

No. Feig and Feige are completely different people, dumbass.

>You think they're scared of the couple of idiots crying online about a nickname?

Yeah, Feige has openly stated that this has been a colossal PR nightmare.

>outrage-driven headcanon wasn't validated
wut?

>named after
Oh yeah, remember Michelle from the comics, she's my fav

Has he? Or are you referring to the OP quote?

We've wasted so much energy on a character we knew since 8 months ago wasn't going to be Mary Jane not being Mary jane that we haven't talked how terrible a John Hughes/Spiderman mashup was going to be.
>like seriously John Hughes?

>"MJ"
>Not named after someone in the comics

>Or are you referring to the OP quote?
He literally says in the OP: "And then I think it leaked that she would be playing MJ and then it became a whole headache for Zendaya to have to navigate."

Feige has been playing damage control since the movie came out.

you are literally so autistic it's giving me secondhand embarrassment, you need to chill the fuck out and do something with your life op, this shit is unhealthy

Is her name Mary Jane watson.
>no
Then she was never supposed to be Mary Jane Watson.

>So we're so clever
i hope they fire this guy,he sounds like an asshole

No she's supposed to be Spider-Man's love interest named MJ, that's completely different

I thought they were calling her MJ cause she looks like a feminine version of Micheal Jackson.

Whats the problem with spiderman wanting to bang mixed/light skinned black girls? Is MJ being red haired and having a super model body the only important aspects to her character? Whats wrong with trying something new?

Wow, how fucking stupid do you have to be to not only read a post wrong, but to reply in such a completely retarded manner.
I feel legitimately sorry for your parents and anyone unfortunate enough to have to spend time around your downs-syndrome ass.

>running-through-backyards routine from Ferris Bueller
>I got that ref-
>they just straight ups how the movie out in the yard with Peter saying "GOOD MOVIE!"

You could really tell that some idiot from Sony was afraid that the kids wouldn't catch the obvious references and made sure they put that in there.

Thing is, it's not that Zendaya is Mary Jane; she's "MJ" and she's replacing Mary Jane altogether.

...because journalist after journalist kept asking her if she was really Mary Jane, because her actual role in the movie fell into irrelevancy as people were more curious about the leak than what she or the director had to say, not because people hated her for stealing Mary Jane's role or whatever you're thinking

>sony
You mean Marvel.

It's pandering, lazy, and it's hard to care about characters that change dramatically every few years to satisfy the current zeitgeist

>she's replacing Mary Jane altogether
No she isn't.

Welcome to comic books, user.

so who plays Mary Jane?

So Mary jane character is entirely wrapped up in the fact that she's white.

at least Cap didn't tell us to go home because the movie is already over.

although Deadpool already did that.

No, I don't. Marvel hasn't felt the need to explain their references in such an obvious stupid manner before, whereas the Sony people always act like goddamn retards. So it's a good bet that the retarded idea came from the retarded side of the collaboration, same place the "no big deal!" hip-with-the-kids v-logging shit came from.

>trying something new
It's not exactly "something new" any more.
It's a Hollywood meme and it's outstayed its welcome.

>that the kids wouldn't catch the obvious references
Why the fuck WOULD kids catch it? How many parents do you think are showing their kids Feris Buller or how many kids do you think even give a shit about that movie?

I doubt you knew every single reference Animaniacs did as a kid.

Right, and John Blake was never supposed to be Robin, right?

That's not even remotely what I said, but yes, race is an aspect of her character

if they had left her white but made her rich instead of poor or a scientist instead of an actor it, particularly to pander to the audience, it would still have been shit

We don't know.

>Is MJ being red haired and having a super model body the only important aspects to her character?

Why don't you try reading a comic sometime and find out for yourself?

So nobody

When you have a long established character called MJ and you delete her and and add new character called MJ, that's a replacement

Knowing this generation, they'd assume that it was spoofing the Dominos commercial, not Feris Buller.

Hey fucko, go back to Sup Forums

>race is an aspect of Mary jane
No it isn't, race never played a factor in her character.

>Is MJ being red haired and having a super model body the only important aspects to her character?

Well, yes.

I can tell you don't like Mary Jane. The problem isn't even just not looking like her, is that she doesn't even have the same personality or even anything vaguely resembling the same personality.

>writing the classic character MJ out of the movie
Wow, sexist much Sony/Marvel?

>up and coming disney channel starlet
>given a controversial role in the mcu, because who knows, her manager knew which strings to pull and she didn't want to be in the Descendants 2 or something.

Blame Disney for this one.

race plays a factor in every character, particularly with marvel who love to touch on social issues

I hope she is the MCUs Mary Jane Watson and I hope you screeching retards lose lots of sleep over it

How does race play into Mary jane watson's character then.
Explain how being white is central to Mary Jane watson.

So should Animaniacs have spelt out all of the references so that kids couldn't miss any of them? Of fucking course not.

Showing the exact scene on a tv while you're doing your version of it serves no goddamn purpose. Either the kid doesn't know about that scene and then having the same thing happen on the tv in the scene makes no sense, or they have seen it and shouldn't need it pointed out. It's done for the dumbest of mouthbreathers who would have asked "so that part where he ran through backyards was an homage to Ferris Bueller, right?" if they hadn't gotten definitive proof of it in the scene.

>pair all white female heroes with black men
>pair all black female heroes with white men
>pair Asian women with robots
>pair Asian men with NO ONE

>this character that isn't Maty jane doesn't act like Mary jane.

Because MJ is a successful model that gets repeat exposure on real magazines made for normal women, not ebony fair and shit.

>It's done for the dumbest of mouthbreathers who would have asked
Who? Children?

Who the fuck are you insulting in this sentence, because you seem to be wildly moving your targets to express rage at a two second joke.

we've already established that she's the MCU's Mary Jane Watson, they just changed her name to Michelle and they cast a black girl to score diversity points

She's white, along with her red hair it's the first thing you'd notice about her

>this character isn't anything like Mary Jane!
Cause she's not.

Great, how much sleep have you lost? Please keep me updated

>called "MJ"
>budding interest in Peter
>a rebellious, free-spirited girl (much like what MJ was in 60s)
>played by a model
She is Disney's Marvel's New and Improved "MJ". Enjoy your cheese, mousekeeter.

>we've already established that she's the MCU's Mary Jane Watson
No you haven't, you made the claim but you never proved it.

>called "MJ"
Is her name Mary jane tho?
>no
Then it's not Mary Jane.

She's the character meant to replace MJ. Until the actual Mary Jane Watson shows up (she won't), this will still be the case.

that's the problem, why delete a long beloved character like MJ just for this pickaninny?

I just woke up, slept great, saw Baby Driver the other day instead of wasting my money on this Retcon nonsense

Of course she's not Mary Jane, but she's still "MJ". It's the same shit Nolan did in TDKR with Robin.

Who said anything about proving anything? do you have to prove that the sky is blue? No, it just is.

There was one MJ, now there's a different MJ, Mary Jane Watson doesn't exist in the MCU, why don;'t you prove any of that incorrect?

>She's the character meant to replace MJ.
Except that's something that inly you've been saying. This shit is like a vroken record right now.
>I can't believe they fucked up Mary Jane like this!
>she's not Mary Jane
>well she's her replacement
>but still I can't believe they fucked up Mary Jane like this!

She's Jonahs kid

> obsessed with Peter
> Dad is obsessed with Spidey
> Michelle Jameson
> last name secret for a reason
> callback to the Vulture dad reveal in the next movie

They fucked up because they cut out a hole where Mary Jane was supposed to be and in her place put a replacement straight out of tumblr.

>why delete a long beloved character like MJ
They didn't, you're assuming that they did and getiing outraged but that is an unfounded claim.

>why delete a long beloved character like MJ just for this pickaninny?
Because having attractive women in your story is sexist and Problematic, didn't you know?

Mary jane was never involved in High school spider-man tho, She's only appeared when he was in college.

Pretty much this. Mary Jane will never be in these movies because they already have their "MJ".

unless you're an ultimates casual

I think that was being sarcastic, since he's saying it in the context of admitting the "clever" idea blew up in their faces.

Children who knows of Ferris Bueller and the adult capeshit crowd who can't think for themselves.

The scene simply did not need a tv playing the original scene in the background. It's like doing the Deadpool post-credits scene, except instead of just having Deadpool do the bit from the movie you also have the scene playing on the tv behind Deadpool, because you won't trust your audience.

>a two second joke.
Practically the first rule of comedy is that you don't explain the joke.

>Spiderfags have their 999th autistic fit of the day that Spidey doesn't have his boring token waifu

Who's outraged? I'm simply telling the truth, there is one MJ in the MCU and she's not Mary Jane Watson, if you honestly believe they're going to introduce a second MJ named Mary Jane and she'll be the red head from the comics, good for you, but obviously that's a retarded premise, I shouldn't have to spell out to you why they aren't going to do that.

That does sound like current Marvel, they sure do love their ugly women

I hope she doesn't turn out to be the real MJ. I don't really have a problem with her being Mexican but she is ugly as fuck.....and looks like a man and is not ladylike at all

>It's the same shit Nolan did in TDKR with Robin.

You mean the character who had nothing in common with any of the Robins and who never became a Robin?

>Who said anything about proving anything?
You did when you said we've established she's mcu mary jane.

>delete

That's one funny way to look at things, they didn't use her = so they brutally murdered her character and everything she represents

Was Raimi cruel for "deleting" Gwen (at least initially) and using MJ as the first love that gets threatened by Goblin? Did you hate when the TASM movies "deleted" Gwen Stacy to replace her with a quirky nerd that stole her name? What about all the other spider-babes that these movies barely mention? So much deletion!

Is the character named MJ, is she in the MCU?

MARVEL IS DRINKING YOUR TEARS

>Until the actual Mary Jane Watson shows up (she won't), this will still be the case.

I don't think she won't show up. Especially if assuming your theory of her being a replacement is true. Making a new character, but the only similarity being the initials? Sounds like they intended it as a dip in the water.

I'm sure that they (assuming they haven't already) will change their minds about the character because of the negative blacklash they're getting and they'll either deliver a proper Mary Jane or write Michelle out and not use Mary Jane either.

To be fair, it's not exactly the first time the MCU has taken cues from the Ultimate universe.

>Is the character named MJ
No she's not, MJ is a nickname.

Why do you guys talk about the same thing every day

this board is such shit lol

They know damn well that she was intended to be Mary Jane, but when the leak happened they realized that their retarded pandering will get them nowhere they had to redo everything.

>Children who knows of Ferris Bueller
They don't. Children aren't watching old 80's movies unless their parents introduce it to them first.

>the adult capeshit crowd who can't think for themselves.
Oh, you're just a mad autist yourself who wants to sling around buzzwords. You should've said so, I wouldn't have bothered responding to you in the first place.

Next time be more obvious in your first post and say children who like capeshit or something so people know to ignore you right off the bat.

Why are you getting so worked up?

not using her is the same as deleting her from continuity, and yeah I think if I made a Spider-man movie I would start with Gwen and then move on to MJ, that's the proper way to do it.

I wouldn't make a brand new MJ and if I did I wouldn't cast her as some ugly wog and i would have written her a personality that men desire, because she's meant to be desirable.

>who's outraged
You are.
>I simply stating a fact
No you're not. You're making an erroneous assumption and refusing to back down from it.

Not exactly helping your case, user. If I didn't already know that was a girl I'd be commending them on their tuckjob.

Way to move those goal posts

>Children aren't watching old 80's movies unless their parents introduce it to them first.
And most parents do.

Spider-man fans are cementing themselves as one of the worst cape fanbases on Sup Forums

lol Ok so when they make the sequel and they have two characters running around named MJ we'll know you're right then, good luck with that

HAHAHA

most parents make their kids watch youtube

Michelle will be called MJ until Mary Jane shows up, Spidey jokes about two MJs in his life and Michelle becomes Michelle again

most obvious love triangle in the world

Wow what a surprise people bristle at forced diversity in movies, especially when they have to lose characters they love, what a shock, it's not like we have this conversation every time a black is cast in a white role.