Why didn't this guy catch on

I thought he was going to be Gotham's protector next to Batman

Too weird.

Never heard of him, care to give a quick run down?

>When he initially appears, Simon Dark has amnesia. He exhibits some super-human abilities such as enhanced speed and agility, as well as extraordinary strength. He acts as a protector of a neighborhood called "the Village" in Gotham City; for its part the neighborhood is happy for their odd protector's presence.

>As the comic progresses it is revealed that Simon Dark was created from the bodies of 20 boys by a desperate medical genius who turned to a dark cult for assistance. Simon, and several other characters in the comic, were created using science and magic but only Simon was created with a purpose; to stop the dark cult that created him.

>Eventually Simon transforms from a scared and confused creature with a childlike mentality into a powerful and confident supernatural being with a laundry list of vaguely defined occult superpowers, many of which are only used once. He is resistant to damage (bullets hurt but don't seem to seriously impair him), extremely strong, can read minds, pasts and futures by touching people and can change his appearance (or at least his face) to hide his scarred face. He can cast magical rituals that allow him to see far away places and the future, and transport himself and other people to other dimensions. Once, he uses a magical rock like a floating high speed weapon, slamming through enemies like a bullet under his mental direction. He also has three shapechanging servants he calls his 'familiars', who he liberates from the evil cult; they are physically very powerful.

>Apparently, he can also bring dead people back to life by sacrificing some of the 20 souls that constitute him.

>He also becomes the magical overseer of Gotham (confusingly called The Mayor), who controls the flow of supernatural creatures into the city

but that's the best part

Well, I'm reading this now

I love Simon Dark, but he's one of those character whose charm is heavily based on the writing style of it's creator, the wonderful macabre yet incredibly witty sense of humor of the original series is not something that can be easily replicated.

This guy is way more interesting than Batman

Who wouldn't want to live in Gotham?

Scott Snyder should have a go at this character, Simon Dark would suit his style

I had no idea this guy existed. Will definitely have to give him a read.

he seems overpowered as fuck

Literally me

>Okay... So... We need something that's reminiscent of The Crow... Mixed with The Darkness. Anyone got any ideas?

Did they cancelled it? Im interested.

The first arc was basically 13 issues logn and the villains were sucky. I did like the chacretr a lot and I'm a big fan of Scott Hampton so I think he's a good character with lots of room to do new stuff with. Niles is not a very good writer though and while concept and art where great, dialogue and scripting were weak sometimes.

It laste 18 issues.
Like mentioned, the first arc is a year long, and the second one feels kinda rushed and just sorta end after they deal with the big villain of the moment, but it still all worth a read.

it was 18 issues in like 2008
they should bring him back, he'd make more sense on the JLD than most of them

He's kinda all over the place with his power ain't he. But I don't think he would mesh that well in current Gotham really.

JLD is a horrible name, just bring back Shadowpact. No Zatanna or Constantine or Swamp Thing though.

Boom, team him up with Blue Devil, that's a tasty stew

Gotham already has other protectors besides Batman.
Extra Robins, Batwoman, Ragman, The Spectre sometimes, Onyx, Batgirl(s), that kid with the venom who was damian's buddy, etc.

Too OP and he doesn't fit in Gotham.

If he was introduced in the 80's he might have a small fan following but now? No way.

Never properly defined. No real direction. I dont think the creator thought it was going to last as long as it did, which is too bad because it had potential if the writer had been more competent.

I was kind of hoping for a Candyman like hero, but Simon himself turned out in the worst way.