"You go to church every Sunday, Captain. What I've got to say is no stranger than that."

>"You go to church every Sunday, Captain. What I've got to say is no stranger than that."

Was he right?

Bump

Yeah, the stuff Thor said it only considered weird because most people don't believe in it or anything similar.

Remember that Christianity was incredibly weird and odd pretty much until Rome adopted it as their religion, it was basically a cult for a very long time

No, that's fucking retarded. The bible doesn't have to be taken literally, but that dude claims he is a prince from a magical world in the clouds somewhere.

I would say that norse mythology is still 'weirder'than the Christian religion.

>The bible doesn't have to be taken literally

LMAAOOOOO

Thats been the case since long, long, long before you and I were born, my friend.

>Was he right?

Well, yeah.
He actually sorta was Jesus too.

Is it, though? Or are you just more used to one? Is Loki getting impregnated by a horse really that much weirder than Noah refusing to take dinosaurs on his hand-built Titanic-sized boat?

Yeah, I'd say that the fact that there's only one God, and everything is explained to be part of one whole, whether you buy that or not, does make it less strange than norse mythology with its giant cast of wacky supernatural characters and disjointed, random myths.

The bibles full of scientific errors and written contradictions.

So is whatever is islam too.

Most sand nigger religions are silly.

Or Ezekiel 23:20. I'd say there's roughly equivalent bizzare things in both.
Plus some of the cool wild shit got de-canonized, like Jesus saving some kids from a bunch of dragons.

>Yeah, I'd say that the fact that there's only one God, and everything is explained to be part of one whole, whether you buy that or not, does make it less strange
By definition it IS strange, because very few religions tried to argue that other faiths are evil. Abraham invented the concept of people being guilty for not being a believer, an alien idea that no one else shares. Thus, strange.

>I'm the viking god of warriors fucking shit up sent here to save the world from itself which is why I demand an increase in foreign aid and hang around with drunk scene kids who have never experienced war.

I'd say that's stranger than what most people hear at church. But this already degenerating into a Sup Forums fedora thread.

>I'd say that's stranger than what most people hear at church
That's your mistake. What you hear at church doesn't go from cover to cover of the Bible for a reason.

This is such a meaningless and stupid comment.

I suppose democracy is by definition 'strange', because up till a while ago, it was an alien idea that no one actually used?

And democracy is 'strange', because it was barely ever used until just recently?

I feel like a lot of Thor's characterization in Ultimates was designed to make the reader question his authenticity. But the writing had no subtly and game off weird.

>go to Church to foster a sense of community and hear lectures about morals where a guy has boiled things down to relate them to modern life without going into burning bushes that tell you to murder your sons to spite the devil in a bet
>"lol is what im saying any crazier than CHRISTIANITY"

whew lads.

But the thing is that even Christianity has a large cast of supernatural characters. The various Angels and Demons may not be Gods, but they're still hell of supernatural. Are Uriel, Metatron, and Lucifer that much weirder than Heimdall, Loki and Thor?

It doesn't have to.
Doesn't mean there aren't a shit ton of people that do, though.

Doesn't he turn out to be right though?

Thought you said Megatron at first.

Even back when it was a thing, Norse mythology was usually seen as metaphors, as were most religions. Their gods weren't all powerful, and often pretty flawed, to represent how life is pretty chaotic.

Judaism, Christianity and Islam were the only ones that went "No! My OC God can kick all your gods' asses, and anyone who disagrees is going to hell. Also, these things literally happened. How DARE you imply Jesus didn't walk on water? Plus, MY God is a loving God that murders the fuck out of people on a whim if he doesn't like what they're doing".

You're used to it, because you grew up around it,but it doesn't make it any less weird

Uriel and Metatron are angels that variously fight evil, act as messengers or just fill up a space in the angel hierarchy, with no wacky or bizarre stories to their name.
Lucifer is a supernatural being that turned againt its creator and hates its creation.
None of this is particularly strange or bizarre compared to a God turning himself into and getting fucked by a horse.

Democracy ain't even kinda new.
What?

Thor's a hippie liberal vs conserative cap.

Punisher in ultimate wanted sarah palin as pres.

Yes but it's not a persuasive argument to say "well, this 4,000 year old text you ascribe cultural significance to says some pretty crazy shit, so is it so crazy that I claim to be a divine being from another reality?"

You didn't address my point at all, I'm actually sad I had to read your post.

The OP image suggests that literally believing Norse mythology (not as a metaphor) is no stranger than following Christianity., and I said that it is stranger because the mythology itself has more wacky characters and happenings that aren't really tied together with thematic or logical throughlines. You completely failed to address this in favour of a rant about how, like, totally SILLY and HYPOCRITICAL Christians are, dude!

Jesus times had dicatorships and jesus supported obey dicatorships.

Usa isn't a democracy but a republic. Early usa only let land owners vote.

The british empire was mostly a Authorian rule.

There's a difference between going to church and hearing stories that relate to one's moral compass and a guy telling you he's a god and all about his mystical adventures.

I'm not even religious and I know that. Let me guess: Mark "I just toss out random shit and act like it's profound" Millar wrote this.

Judaism (and its monotheistic precursors) has existed for a long, long time going back thousands of years, but for a long time it wasn't particularly widespread. Today, its believed by much of the world and has been for thousands of years at this point.

Democracy has existed for a long, long time going back thousands of years, but for a long time it wasn't particularly widespread. Today, its used by much of the world and has been for hundred of years at this point.

How is it that is democracy not strange but monotheism is?

Hey guys, you all are arguing about whether or not Norse mythology is harder to believe than Christianity but failing to consider it in the context of the Marvel (Ultimate) Universe. Is it strange THERE? Considering all the superheroes that exist?