It wasn't THAT bad

It wasn't THAT bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W2IjiIiw3-k
fanfiction.net/s/12557068/1/The-Actions-That-Follow
youtube.com/watch?v=ug4MfzcC-jo
youtube.com/watch?v=IoiVETkVvnQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was because you can't just put the story of 3-4 episodes into 1 without fucking it up.

Taking the issues of the season's pacing into account, you're right, it was actually a very good ending.

Yeah it was,but at least is over and we can finally move on

I liked TTGL too

>thingsyousaywhensomethingisterriblebutyoureindenial.txt

>goes against the countless times jack put others above his quest
>dressed everything that happened in the show
It's terrible

But Jack put other savored his quest.

He spent 50 years of suffering to save the goddamn galaxy.

My only complaint was the pacing of the last episode. I'm glad the grimdark tone didn't last because it was pretty rough watching the hero I grew up with busted and broken like that. I liked Ashi because she made Jack happy.

I will never stop laughing at this.

Who did it better?

it's only considrred bad in comparison to tje other episodes

GL since it actually had a purpose and the ending made you feel like something was accomplished.

It wasn't that good either. Endings are hard to write, but given the quality of the writing for most of the series we really expected better.

Honestly. All the problems with the series could have been solved with more episodes, or better pacing. And honestly i loved the ending. I think it was incredibly bittersweet and that's exactly what i wanted. Fucking idiots wanted him to stay in the future, I only ever wanted to see Jack fulfill his purpose. Which he did.

>multiple times in seasons 1-4 where he has a portal available, he would still ignore it in order to help fight with others
>seasons 5 he just says "fuck you guys" and leaves literally everyone he's ever helped to be slaughtered by Aku.
Not to mention all the other completely poorly executed things that happened along the way

It was never going to be good enough

SJ is the only piece of fiction I know of that did the reverse-Chekhov's gun. Keep using the gun throughout the duration of the series, then suddenly through it back on the shelf at the very ending.

ashi RUINED the complete flow of the show.

It only had pacing problems caused by shoving a two parter story into a single episode. Still 8/10 for me.

>Samurai "End Your Friends" Jack
>Samurai "Blot out the Scot" Jack
>Samurai "Don't Save the Rave" Jack
>Samurai "Gutter-stomp the guttersnipe" Jack
>Samurai "Get rid of the kids" Jack
>Samurai "Monks get dunked" Jack
>Samurai "Who's Lulu?" Jack
>Samurai "Retcon the Robot" Jack
>Samurai "Girl-Be-Gone" Jack
>Samurai The doggone dogs are gone" Jack
>Samurai "No True Scotsman" Jack
>Samurai "Daughter Eraser" Jack
>Samurai "Purple-haired girls don't belong in this world" Jack
>Samurai "Archer? I hardly know her!" Jack
>Samurai "Too fat to exist" Jack
>Samurai "Gone baby, gone" Jack

I felt pretty cheated by it, since they waited until the final episode to reveal the show is aimed at you Italian adults. What with its ending message being "Forsake everything you built with your own two hand and get rid of your gf/fiancee so that you can go back to living with your mother". I'm genuinely and completely unironically surprised that apparently there are people who watched the original seasons when they aired (meaning they're at least in their twenties) and find this ending compelling.

Also, the ending makes Jack look like a complete dick, which is just inexcusable.

All in all, contrasted with the rest of the series, I'd say it's one of the worst endings I've evere seen. And I saw many shitty ones, believe me.

"young italian adults" ffs

You know what would have been great?
>Ashi raises the point that she can open a portal through time now, and suggests the option to Jack
>Jack declines, opting instead for Ashi to continue distracting Aku while Jack gets the jump on him
>All the fighters continue to war against Aku's minions, while shouting encouragement at Jack and Ashi
>A glorious battle goes on for some time, until eventually Aku is slain
>Cue cheering and joy from the crowd
>Ashi notes that Aku's power in her is fading, so if they're going to go to the past they need to do so now
>Jack agrees, and thanks the warriors for all their help
>Scotsman thanks Jack for everything, then encourages him to go back and make the future a better place in a true bro moment

They did Ashi's characterization and redemption arc all wrong.

Her childhood flashbacks are always showing her more interested in the outside world than her training and devotion to aku. So Ashi should have been relieved to be finally alone and free of her sisters and threat of punishment. Not trusting of the Samurai, but not screaming "die die die aku will get you!". Just wants to see what the world is really like. Since she never really bought into what her mother and others taught her.

though we still have the problem of Ashi's existence. since it negates all the build up in the previous seasons, because ashi is all Jack needed. Reducing 4 seasons of world building and characters to a clip episode to finish Ashi McGuffin's redemption arc.

It was.
I expected an action-adventure and I got it the first three episodes.
But the rest was just romance with a dystopian setting as a scenery

Are you seriously trying to convince an entire board?

Heresy.

>back when Jack saved his father from Aku's minions, he was an emaciated old man
>when Jack comes back, he's back to his young appearance

It was average, the first half of the episode was stronger than the second. In general though I thought season 5 was really good, especially episodes 1 to 3 which were the best animated thing on television for at least a decade.

They almost could have just released that on its own as a standalone movie it was that good.

This user gets it.

You see, Jack saved their lives so that eventually they'd repay their debt by helping him accidentally erase them from existence.

Jack learned to let go of the past and to build a better future.
And then he said NOPE and FFFFFFUCKED IT ALL UP.
Except, of course, it was Ashi! Not Jack! Which is the kind of garbage guilt deflection you'd see in the shittiest of all storytelling devices like One More Day.

Don't you tell me what is and isn't heresy.

THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GL had the worst ending by far. There was no logic to Nia's death, she just wilted away to make people sad. At least with Jack, it's common sense that there'd be a paradox.

Also, Jack quietly mourning is way better than Simon fucking off to become a literal hobo even though he saved the universe.

Shut the fuck up, it was horrible

It also wasn't that good.

I don't get how Ashi just up and vanished while her wedding dress, the marriage ceremony, and everyone's memories remained intact. I thought that if she never existed, none of that shit would've happened in the first place since they're in the same timeline. I'm probably being stupid, but I don't fucking get it.

Get rid of Ashi entirely, focus on Jack, and have more connections to older seasons and the 5th season would have better.

This

There's no logical reason behind it, she just stayed around longer because it was more dramatic. You could come up with an explanation involving time being more solid and needing time to repair itself, but let's be real here, it was for drama.

Which I am personally fine with.

Timelines are formed at the point of disembarkment, not the point of entry.

So, when Jack left the first portal, it split the timelines into one where Aku was successful (i.e. no Jack) and one where Ashi was born. When Jack travels back to the past, it creates a third timeline. The one where Ashi was born is now without a Jack as well.

Timeline 1: No Jack since the first battle. Aku dominates
Timeline 2: Jack exits, exists briefly, Ashi is born, and Jack leaves.
Timeline 3: Jack and Ashi kill Aku.

Timeline1: Aku victory
Timeline 2: No victory. As this timeline only existed to form Timeline 1 and 3, it slowly fades. By the time it finally fades, Ashi fades as well.
Timeline 3: Jack (and the Gods) victory.

Know what would have been better?
No Ashi

>I can't believe Jack abandoned all his friends!
>His friends that would keep aging without him
>His friends that have aged 50 years past him
>His friends that got killed by Aku

Did we watch the same show?

Nice argument. Maybe a (You) will make you leave.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The ending was really bad sadly

Sup Forums was too hard on most of it but even I'll admit the finale was a let down. The one great thing about it was the intro explanation.

if it was multiple coexisting timelines, Ashi wouldn't have disappeared in the first place.

Nothing is that bad considering that nothing really matters. That being said, it was still shit. Assassin girl #3 should have just died when Jack dropped her off the cliff.

youtube.com/watch?v=W2IjiIiw3-k

Does anyone know any musicians who make songs similar to the one in the ending scene? Like, peaceful, yet grand fantasy instrumentals with someone singing indistinguishable words?

>I only ever wanted to see Jack fulfill his purpose
emperor please go

I hear people complaining about Jack passing up opportunities to go back to the past in the previous seasons only for him to do go back at the end.
Personally, I think it makes sense within one of the themes of the new season.
How the original status quo became unsustainable and degraded both Jack and Aku into shells of their former selves.
Aku has had many, many chances to kill Jack but he always fucked it up because he was too damn evil to just let it rest or do it the easy way. He either betrayed his allies too soon (the sea people, for example) or saved Jack just to kill him in a more humiliating way (the cementer fight or when he turned into a woman). Jack also suffers from this flaw by putting the lives of others above his quest to return to the past. Whether this was just honor or Jack assuming he'd find a way back without sacrificing an innocent doesn't really matters. What matters is that last portal Jack found 50 years ago.
At that point Aku's had enough of their fighting and wants it to end, so he destroys every single portal and as soon as Jack spots one he fucking dashes for it no questions asked, no "my quest is finally at an end" or any other bullshit.
tl;dr Jack is a victim of his benignity as much as Aku is of his own maliciousness. That's the main reason their conflict went on for so long at all.

What it needed was a closing episode, like jump to the future were Aku is... A long told spooky myth and the foolish samurai who slayed him became a shining legend.
Show some of the characters Jack made living simple happy lives. Like the electric dig mom dropping her electric dog child off at school, the Scottsman being a detective busting dark Aku cults, The Samurai still running a bar but also a dojo during the day... Like a collection of shorts you know? Give us some damn closure about the future as well as the past.

Yes it was

This ending will always be bittersweet for me, and not even in the context of the show. While I don't know if I'll ever come to terms with it, it at least inspired me to start writing, if only to give myself closure.

That's why I'm going to shamelessly plug the AU I've been working on, in hopes that it'll help other get over it as well.

fanfiction.net/s/12557068/1/The-Actions-That-Follow

If you enjoyed Jack and Ashi's interactions in the show, you might enjoy this, too.

>DUDE WITHOUT AKU I NEVER EXISTED LMAO

WTF I GOT AKU POWERS NOW LOL

>Bring back a series thats been dead for 13 years for only 10 episodes
>Dedicate 7 episodes to some baboon faced, literally who character that should have died in Ep 3
>Reduce all of Jacks internal conflict to a cringy forced romance in the end
>Blatantly rip off an anime ending for the finale

It was awful. Jack dying after falling off the branch at the end of Ep 3, would have made a more satisfying conclusion than what we got.

Pointlessly long and drawn out and obnoxiously melodramatic. The vast majority of people who came to help Jack, died, because it was a fucking curbstomp just like Jack vs. Aku is always going to be a curbstomp.

It's real bad writing to change the mechanics of how the show works to get the one ending you wanna see.

So, is this basically what people wanted?
youtube.com/watch?v=ug4MfzcC-jo

Yes it was. And I'm over it but I'm still pretty fucking mad when I think about it at the same time.

A-ASHI I.... I WUB YOUUUUUU

Jack... apparently I have Aku powers...!

I woulda been fine with this
youtube.com/watch?v=IoiVETkVvnQ

Dawww.
Alright, I can accept that as an alternate ending.

SHE SHOULD HAVE DIED THE INSTANT AKU DIED THEN WTF WAS THIS PACING BS WHERE THEY WAIT UNTIL THE WEDDING TO HAVE HER KICK IT WHAT THE FUCK WERE THE WRITERS SMOKING WHEN THEY FINISHED THE SERIES I MEAN YEAH I GET THEY WANTED TO FINISH THIS SHOW, REALLY I DO, BUT THEY FUCKED UP NEARLY EVERY EXCEPTIONAL MOMENT IN THE SHOW. THE WRITERS WERE EITHER TOO SCHIZOPHRENIC TO DECIDE ON A DIRECTION, OR GENNDY WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF HIS GOURD. THEY EVEN MANAGED TO FUCK UP THE SCOTSMAN. I CANNOT FATHOM HOW HORRENDOUS THIS FINAL SEASON WAS AND I HOPE THAT THE WRITERS, THE ANIMATORS, AND NEARLY EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THIS STEAMING PILE OF GARBAGE GET BLACKLISTED FROM EVERY ANIMATION STUDIO FROM NEW YORK TO CALIFORNIA. I LOVED THIS FUCKING SHOW AND THEY RUINED IT AT NEARLY EVERY OPPORTUNITY WITH JOKES ABOUT A GUYS HEAD LOOKING LIKE A FUCKING PENIS, A BABOON FACED MARY SUE, AND A CONVOLUTED PLOT THAT THEY ONLY HALFWAY MANAGED TO SALVAGE TO MAKE A COHERENT ENDING. FUCK THESE PEOPLE, FUCK TOONAMI, FUCK ADULT SWIM AND FUCK SAMURAI JACK.

wheres the pick were he is hanging from the tree

I got you.

>Extended ending
>Zooms out from tree.
>Shows Japan progressing year by year, day by day.
>The dojos and wooden buildings grow into apartment buildings and skyscrapers, before becoming space ports and glass houses.
>Then the sky gets darker, everything looks rundown, the glass homes slowly get replaced by ominous red architecture.
>"HAHAHAHAHA!"
>"Many years have passed, but I do not age. Time has lost it's effect on me. Yet the suffering continues. Aku's grasp chokes the past, present, and future. All hope is lost. Gotta get back to the past... The past... SAMURAI JACK!"

>It wasn't THAT bad.
Yes it was. Instead Jack's army building itself up over the course of the entire show in order to fight Aku's army of minions and evil robots, we got to see mostly unmemorable side characters see a television broadcast and suddenly decide to get off their asses, somehow know where Aku's lair is, and do a useless attack against an entity they can't hurt for half the episode just for their efforts to go unacknowledged minutes after.

>Jack actually finds a Time Portal
>Aku is unnaware
>Jack jumps in
>It sends him even further into the future

A-ASHI!

KAWAII-UGUU~!

It's not like Aku kept his lair a secret. It's been in the same spot for decades and he even had a sign out front stating that visitors aren't welcome.

Why would an invicible demon god keep their whereabout shidden when they expect people to come from all over to worship him there?