Mister Miracle issue #2 preview

>[ Kingspeak Intensifies ]
adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/07/13/dc-preview-mister-miracle-2/

>Preview for issue #1:
pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVGpvzcHko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>kingfags will defend this autism

I think your autism is worse

it's clearly a thematic choice in this case

it didn't work in i am suicide but that's also because janin's art is shit

here the grid, the setting, and the colors all help the dialogue spark

I JUST WANT IT TO BE GOOD

I just want a New Gods comic to be good. Please, Tom.

REALLY not feeling this grim and gritty realism pencil work for the fucking New Gods of all things.

>characters can only be depicted in certain ways based on past appearances and nothing else because its tonally different

This is a huge shift in tone from the original Mister Miracle Comics.
They might as well make this New Gods story with new characters.

Honestly? Yes. Every form of entertainment fills it's own niche. You don't read a Wonder Woman book for shitting dick nipples. You go to /d/ for that. The New Gods and related characters have their own niche they can freely move around in. When you deviate too far from the norm, you end up with books like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl or movies like Fant4stic.

The New Gods are fantastical and larger than life. Drawing them in this ultra gritty and personal manner doesn't suit their tone at all.

This looks like it could be ok.

The art's different, but (at least on these pages) it's really consistent and the panels are well composed.

The action/dialogue repetition in these initial pages is ok for an intro sequence/setup, but it doesn't actually tell me anything about how well the story will flow past this point. So we'll have to see I guess?

promising though, I'll read this.
not that that means anything because by read I mean download and not pay anything for because I'm cancer

okay but wonder woman and the fantastic four have all been passed through many different hands and then what is determined to be definitive?

>No one can out-Kirby Kirby. You can’t make an epic as great as he did. It’s like trying to make Star Wars again, or like trying to rewrite the Iliad. You can take those grand cosmic space opera themes and internalize them and use them to tell a very personal story. That’s what appealed to me about it. We were going to take the bigness of Kirby and turn that into the intimacy of Mister Miracle’s life. Kirby used a metaphor for his time, written in the late ‘60s early ‘70s when the world was going utterly insane. We’re going to use it as a metaphor for our time, the late 2010s, when once again the world is going insane. It’s almost like we’re holding up a mirror to that work, or internalizing it. We’re going step-in-step with him.

I would agree if it wasn't for Morrison

the only redeemable value of the original run is kirby's art. he was a good artist not a good writer

>Expect colorful silliness fit for the New Gods
>Get some Zack Snyder-esque shit

Was making me mad part of your plan, King?

>the world is going insane
I know the comics industry is full of libcucks but it gets tiring to hear this repeated ad nauseam.

>When you deviate too far from the norm, you end up with books like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl or movies like Fant4stic.

Or stuff like King's Vision. This is exactly the kind of thing Tom King should be doing, he writes better stories when he deviates.

>small minded autists

this is why Sup Forums is so shit, you guys are so fucking obsessed with whats come before you cant have any real discussion about new art or new takes on old stuff

>hurr durr its dark so its Snyder XDDDD

fucking off yourself

What are you guys even saying? Jack Kirby had flat out genocide in his books, entire species erradicated. One of the main characters is warlord with a legion of slaves. Some of the bad guys are literally created through torture. I mean, shit, you ever read fucking Hunger Dogs?

I fucking hate new Sup Forums so much. Fucking casuals getting mad to fit in.

Ah, so this is nu/co/ revisionism. First Kirby wasn't a good writer, then he wasn't a good artist. All just to make hacks like King look good.

I like that you're so insecure that you hear the words "the world is going insane" which has probably been said in some form a million times a day since the dawn of time and you instantly assume it's an attack on your ideology

He's comparing the late 2010s to the two decades that were the closest humanity's ever gotten into mass-suicide by nukes. I doubt he's drawing a parallel between the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Islamic Terror attacks in Europe.

King is good though

The dialogue is just boring

>you guys are so fucking obsessed with whats come before
You do know that this is by Tom "Kite-Man, Hell yeah!" King, right, senpai? 90% of his fanbase is pure nostalgia fagging.

Calm down, autismo. You quoted me but I never mentioned anything about the tone of the subject matter. I'm talking about aesthetic visual tone. Not story. This current pencil style just doesn't fit.

This. All of it. Hating Sup Forums included. Everyone goes on and on like hipsters about the good old days and when it is even hinted at you fuckers get negative. True casuals.

>here the grid, the setting, and the colors all help the dialogue spark
Riiiiiiight. "Sparky" is clearly the word, not "repetitive", "tedious", or, ya know, "autistic."

>Kingspeak Intensifies
Stop forcing shitty memes

Soooo.... pure classic Kirby cheeseball designs. Is this set in the main universe? A random whatever mini? Will the New Gods upcoming appearance in HJatGLC pull a Rebirth whammy on them and give us back the fucking New Gods proper?

Just shut the fuck up. Please, just shut the fuck up

I like how the coloring makes the costumes pop out.

Snyder isn't just dark, he's a bit stupid. Also, Scott was raised a slave in the worst place in the universe. Even if Kirby's vision wasn't gritty, the concept lends itself for that sort of story.

>pencil work
>clearly digital art

The only autism here is someone who saw a meme on Sup Forums once and all he got out of it was "dude repeated dialogue sucks lmao"

Maybe I'm getting too used to his writing, but does anyone else think King is losing it? This writing seems phoned in and the repetitive dialogue isn't working.

i disagree. This seems almost similar to what happened when omega men was announced, except there were fewer people raging about the repeated dialogue. plus i think that the repeated dialogue kinda fits here since barda and scott were raised by granny goodness and therefore have taking orders and obeying drilled in their head.

Sure thing, m8. Keep believing that delusion.

I thought he's been stepping it up recently compared to the last year or so. "The Brave and the Mold" and the Batman/Elmer Fudd crossover are easily my two favorite Batman issues he's written, and I like the beginning of "War of Jokes and Riddles" more than the Bane stories.

Mister Miracle looks like what I expected from King right after Vision and Sheriff of Babylon ended.

glad they went with these as opposed to the dumb new 52 versions

Sup Forums will never like any New Gods stuff unless Jack Kirby comes back from the dead to write and draw it

>except there were fewer people raging about the repeated dialogue.
I don't remember the dialog in anything prior to Batman being *overly* repetitive so if he was repeating things it didn't really make an impact but with Batman it started to get silly with him literally just saying how he was gonna break Bane's back like 7 fucking times in one issue or with the Cat/Bat stuff where they seem to start or end every goddamned sentence with their pet names.

>>clearly digital art
Not even "art" really. The backgrounds just look like filtered photos of Volcano National Park in Hawaii.

but that's the point. all 3 of his previous 12-issue series (vision/sheriff of babylon and omega men) relied on a certain amount of repetition for various reasons but you don't notice it, or you don't think of it as an issue. in batman, the repetition is off base from the batman that everyone has seen for 75 years, so it becomes an issue. in the case of the new gods, i honestly think that he'll be able to use the repetition to tell the story better

>in the case of the new gods, i honestly think that he'll be able to use the repetition to tell the story better
Maybe, I mean: I'm going to check out the first issue or two via the win-o thread because I've liked more of his stuff than I've disliked; and I only know MM from a few issues of JL,JSA and JLI so I'm not going to be bothered with "correct character voice".

However, this:
Is like someone yelling "Titans Together" or "Avengers Assemble" over and over and over again. Even if the page were a montage over multiple battles you just don't do that. Either do it once and let it be implied everywhere else or, if you want to be clever about it, stick the words in the center square of Muh Nine Panel Grid and have tails leading out from there to the other 8 panels.

These pages were so much stronger before the dialogue was put in.

1 - Why is Barda not waking up from there yelling?
2 - Is this as Flashback? Will this mini address Barda's status after Darkseid War? Because that is still in continuity as we are getting Diana's brother soon.

>90% of his fanbase is pure nostalgia fagging.
That's a new one

Anti King autists have to keep coming up with new memes, gotta keep this ball rolling otherwise they might have to talk about his work for a change.

Literally the entire point is that Scott and Barda surmount that for a deep and yet ordinary love though. Look at them living in the suburbs, which it seems like King does get because he's totally updated that to the 2010s. Scott shouldn't be your guy who is unrelentingly grim, in fact he can never be that guy: his essential nature is that we will never be that guy. He's freedom, he can never be won over to anti-life. He makes others free too.

Now the way King wrote Omega Men and Vision and the attention he shows to the physical construction of a comic book, I think we can all see what might of cage could be getting built here. And fundamentally no matter how dark and gritty this gets, I expect Scott Free to bust out of that cage. But preferably with less grim headbutts and oh I'm so portentously broken, sure.

>what might of cage could
"What kinda cage might"

I really don't know if I'm half asleep so I couldn't fully comprehend what you were saying but adding my 2 cents here, King aims to capture the Zeitgeist of the contemporary social atmosphere so the characters have to be subjected to certain scrutiny of the so called realistic chaos and realism. I don't know if King is going to offer the solution here and I think while solution is important, capturing the Zeitgeist is important more so.

This will be great, memers gonna meme.

>not fucking posting the covers first

FIN

>issue 2 preview
>issue 1 isn't even out yet

It was dumb when Batman or Bane kept saying the same phrases every 2 seconds, but here it's clearly used to depict the passage of time between boxes

The secret is he was never a good writer and now it's just becoming glaringly obvious as his one trick pony is wearing thin.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVGpvzcHko

We know it's not right
We know it's not funny, but we'll
Stop beating this dead horse when it
Stops spitting out money

Not really feeling the flow of this comic

This is what casuals have done to the genre.
Please go back to plebbit instead of shitting here. There you can kiss your cereal lord's ass all day long and praise rebland for changing the medium.

It was off base in Batman because it was used in an action comic full of splash pages. Same for that letter issue.

Why don't you actually talk about his work then?

It's overwrought, repetitive, shallow, nihilistic garbage that gets overinflated due to superficial trappings of grandeur such as using Watchmen's schtick or putting quotes at the beginning or end of every issue.

>nihilistic
>it's an user who just learned his $2 thesaurus word uses it in any context possible episode
Seriously refer to this

Omega Men and Vision have some real problems that people always ignore even when you bring them up. His first 3 issues on Grayson were magnificent but then his last 3 were... meh as fuck.

Batman: Superheroics are a form of suicide
Omega Men: War is brutal and will never end
Vision: Suburban life is a sham and attempts to find love and empathy will end in tragedy

I really got my $2 worth

>Suburban life is a sham and attempts to find love and empathy will end in tragedy
I think your reading of the texts is very shallow but especially this one. The social commentary is deeper than that. Also criticizing any social construct is not nihilistic. Do you say that about every time Moore or Ennis write shitting on societal structure? Do you really even know what nihilistic is my man?

Why all the hate? The repetition depicts the tiredness of Scott as he follows orders in a warzone, repeating the war shout as a way to keep himself motivated and to self indoctrinate himself.

I like it. It's not Kirby but fuck off to everyone who can't accept any other depiction of the characters. I didn't see you all crying over Mr Miracle (not Scott) being randomly shot in Final Crisis.

>I didn't see you all crying over Mr Miracle (not Scott) being randomly shot in Final Crisis.

Because it was Shilo Norman, and he's defeated death before.

Morrison really shit on new gods to make psuedo references to Ragnarok and war of heaven and hell and other mythological stuff because he's ass bent on contextualizing DC heroes as modern mythical avatars but it was Morrison so b-based Morrison I guess.

It's not deeper than that. It's a robot trying to have feelings and discover humanity story that ends in bloodshed and death, a story that has been told a million times before. There is nothing to the so-called social criticism either. All of King's work, save for maybe his Green Lantern one shot, is under the childish umbrella of life being essentially meaningless and attempts to understand it and fix it only lead to horror and death.

I fucking hate Morrison's New Gods and how everyone acts like they're this definitive shit.

>fifth world
Fuck off

It figures that Morrison haters wouldn't understand the basics of Kirby's inspiration.

> trying to make Star Wars again or like trying to rewrite the Illiad
Have you read the Illiad? It's not good. It's up on a pedestal because it is old, and because it was the only example we had for a very long time, and because your teacher in college said you will lose marks if you don't say it's good.
If you say "I can't do it" and use the fallacy of antiquity to prove why you'll never measure up -- well guess what sunshine: you're right, you will never ever measure up because you aren't trying.

>It's not deeper than that. It's a robot trying to have feelings and discover humanity story that ends in bloodshed and death, a story that has been told a million times before.
I mean I already guessed your ability to comprehend metaphoric messages of the text were nil but thanks for confirming.
Also you actively avoided answering
>Do you say that about every time Moore or Ennis write shitting on societal structure?
and you'll continue to do so for the remainder of the conversation.

I notice that you aren't adding anything of substance to the conversation besides "nuh uh you didn't get it", so keep banging that drum that I didn't address the social criticism aspect. I would think it is obvious that I don't equate social critiques with nihilism, but hey, I'm avoiding having a conversation right?

Kirby's was the work of myths, yes. But don't pretend Morrison is writing that story based on that context, he's more busy masturbating himself. Morrison's work is first and foremost self congratulatory. And I do like Final Crisis because of all this shit but don't pretend only Morrison "gets New Gods and Kirby."

Didio and Giffen understand the Fourth World more than Morrison.

>I would think it is obvious that I don't equate social critiques with nihilism
Disregarding Vision which obviously went over your head, and I can explain where it went over your head, what's your excuse for having this same criticism about his other works.

Ok chief, keep pretending like Morrison doesn't get the New Gods because he wanted to write a "pseudo-reference to Ragnarok", which is literally exactly what Kirby was drawing upon for inspiration.

I already wrote about it and you are repeatedly failing to address it in service of avoiding having to engage in the conversation.

>I already wrote about it
What? "War is bad and endless and this is nihilistic." Did you literally walk out of your first high school moral education of right and wrong? Or maybe read an essay about moral pacifism by Gandhi?

Those are some cogent points you made there well done. I can see why you like King's ad nauseam repetition.

who's the inverse mr miracle?

Actually Kirby's stuff was much more Judeo-Christian interpreted by Jewish lense, not wholly Nordic.

Yeah nothing Nordic at all about his work right before he wrote New Gods.

But you literally did write that my dude. Also you can't actually into metaphorical state of text. Here's a proposition, if I do interpret Vision for you, provide you the deeper context, would you have a moral dilemma about shitposting the exact same thing in next King thread? Because shitposting the same thing again might be too morally grey, one might call it nihilistic.

Salient point once again. You are running circles around me.

>all about his work right before
>post a panel
>not recognizing the distinction of before or meaning of all
>not recognizing the meaning of wholly

>Not being able to form a coherent thought

Ok where do you want me to start? At Vision? Do you promise to refrain from shitposting after that? At least about that book?

>Highfather is Moses
>The Source Wall is the Burning Bush
>The Source Wall is also the writing on the wall
>Mister Miracle is also slightly Moses
>...and he's also Jesus
>Kalibak is Cain to Orion's Abel

And much much more!

It doesn't have the bombast and mythic drama of Kirby, but making assumptions based on King and his background, I think it's entirely appropriate. There's political subtext playing out, and it isn't pretty.

That's still fully in-line with Kirby. His Fourth World material was not apolitical, and used some of the ugliness of the Vietnam era.

But absolutely zero influence from Ragnarok though amiright?

There's as much of Wagner's Ring Cycle as there is Judeo-Christian shit m8

I actually want to see how much longer you can keep going without actually saying anything.