/who/ - Doctor Who General

Memorial edition.

PREVIOUSLY

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/georgiaEtennant/status/957666470233870337
theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/09/pearl-mackie-doctor-who-interview-companion-not-many-like-me-on-tv
curiouscat.me/NeoCloister
curiouscat.me/lymmy
curiouscat.me/elgatodocecolas
curiouscat.me/Ingiga
curiouscat.me/mastergrade
curiouscat.me/GarethFanboi
docs.google.com/forms/d/1nx9Rr-oHKNc1gXb_Xbnr_WLDjt3rVqwNwk8VEEMEa4s/
docs.google.com/forms/d/1JVFNPP7x28NxzJztOq97-nt9icfYSmqx9PTcKRdTqxM/
twitter.com/MrWhelan101/status/957731575097188352
youtu.be/sAknPKGpcv0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

New minisode
twitter.com/georgiaEtennant/status/957666470233870337

Moving the discussion cause this is something I'm really interested in right now and I'm hoping for a lot of (You)s.

I'd be really up for that, the longer the Master gets dragged out the more times we end up having to "end" and then re-start their story. NuWho has a serious villain problem and we need a new character who can actually stick around for a long time.

theguardian.com/global/2017/apr/09/pearl-mackie-doctor-who-interview-companion-not-many-like-me-on-tv

>She questions things that haven’t been questioned in a really long time, which is fun.” Bill will also be openly gay. “It shouldn’t be a big deal in the 21st century. It’s about time, isn’t it?”

>She maintains a vigorous Twitter account which doesn’t shy away from tweets of a political bent, referencing Black Lives Matter and talking about both Trump and Brexit.

>“I just think you can’t not have an opinion about the current state of the world and if I’ve got a slight platform to raise awareness about things, then that’s a great thing to use it for.”

Powerful stuff.

Just bring back this guy

>'[Gary Russell]'s gonna be sucked inside Cardiff Bay'
>'Well it wouldn't be the first time'

>Georgia putting on a better performance than David
Also wow. They totally bring DW into the bedroom don't they?

A foil or counterpart to the doctor's general OPness done well would be nice.

KEK

hi honey

Is (((sesska))) jewish? I mean, her nose.

Legit kino

post all the curious cat links

curiouscat.me/NeoCloister

curiouscat.me/lymmy

curiouscat.me/elgatodocecolas

curiouscat.me/Ingiga

curiouscat.me/mastergrade

curiouscat.me/GarethFanboi

Why do you people care so much about the personal lives of random posters?

this

1 and a half hours until I can email him again.

kino

Oh I missed a few! I don't think mine have been replied to yet.
They aren't random posters. A few have been posting for years and over time you can develop a bit of kinship with them. Even picking out their anonymous posts.

It's surprising how good The Woman Who Lived script is. But if you have to imagine an actual woman playing the Ashildr role, instead of a dwarfish teenager who hasn't had her 2nd growth spurt yet.

Can we do one of these but for /who/ lore?

Sure. What are your ideas?

>They aren't random posters. A few have been posting for years and over time you can develop a bit of kinship with them. Even picking out their anonymous posts.

ok, makes sense

Doctor Who is dead.

Wot? Capaldi has a very Roman nose (but that said, he's half Italian anyway), Sesska has a small snub of a nose in comparison.

womb

Sure, I'm game. Two trips have made claim to /who/'s origination. TooMuchTime and MrEko. Where that would go I have no idea.

Simmcaust new meme?

I’d love the Doctor having another nemesis. Someone competent that turns up and does dispicible things.

It would be great to have an enemy that the Doctor can’t thwart for once and wins without a ‘reverse time so no one actually dies or events actually happen’ conclusion.

Speaking of the Doctor winning (isthatwhatyouthinkit'sabout?), I'd like to see more episodes where the Doctor essentially loses and the goal is just to get back to the TARDIS alive and leave sulking. This would have worked especially well with Smith, I think, but all Doctors could pull it off cause it's such an unusual concept for Doctor Who.

THE DARK DIMENSION

I conceptualised an episode where the Doctor loses the TARDIS on what is essentially a giant planetary spaceport. The TARDIS is checked in and transported all over the planet between different terminals due to spacefaring bureaucracy (like a real airport).

The Doctor has to spend years tracking it down across the surface from giant terminal to giant terminal. They could get separated from the companion at the beginning and the companion has to learn to adapt to the strange environment not knowing if he’ll return.

No big enemy, more a companion-focussed episode showing the downside to travelling with a mad person in a box. Could have lasting effects on their trust in later episodes.

>new

A lot of Hartnell stories are basically what you described.

docs.google.com/forms/d/1nx9Rr-oHKNc1gXb_Xbnr_WLDjt3rVqwNwk8VEEMEa4s/

Reminder to rank every Doctor Who episode from 1 to 10!

Also a reminder to participate in our demographics poll!

docs.google.com/forms/d/1JVFNPP7x28NxzJztOq97-nt9icfYSmqx9PTcKRdTqxM/

Polling will end on the 10th of February.

did you do it?

this is canon right?
and who is Georgia in this story? Jenny again?

she just has certain larger features than other people

convert lyms timeline and add pages from the wiki

The Velvet Web is kino. I think the realization that you've been touching and eating disgusting things without knowing it is a really fundamental source of horror that doesn't depend on a high budget and doesn't have to be softened for kids. The POV shots when Barbara wakes up are an unusually sophisticated directorial choice for Classic Who. Only the ending is a bit lame, when Barbara effortlessly breaks out of Ian's stranglehold and smashes the brains, but even then the brain repeating "kill her, kill her" is pretty creepy.

Also
>Barbara saves the day while the Doctor has no active role in the episode
wtf, this is supposed to be Doctor Who, not Barbara Who!! fucking sjws and their stronk independent womyns who don't need no man.

I wouldn't read that much into it, I don't think she has a character at all

Definitely canon

Television debut WHEN

Ohh new outfit! Nice to see him out of his usual attire. Makes me wonder if he requested it. Anyone have an idea where this fits into 10's time line?

Your perfect nemesis of the Doctor, in classic Who, was the Master.

>Just started In the Forest of the Night for the first time since it aired

Why the fuck is the TARDIS saying 'You have reached your destination?' When the fuck has the TARDIS ever had a voice? And I don't mean the voice interface, I mean speaking like Siri or something.

I was hoping my memory of this episode had just gotten worse over time and that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, but fuck me.

I'm watching The Web Planet right now and this has to be some the biggest piece of god damn shit I have ever seen, holy fuck.

got you covered senpai

Carol Anne Ford says the scariest monsters she encountered on Doctor Who were those brains, and that they gave her nightmares afterwards, kek.

Marinus is kino.

What has been the most iconic Doctor Who outfit?

Imagine being this much of a pleb

>the Master
>someone competent

You just have to embrace the weirdness.

Nation should have been proud of Marinus desu.

My headcanon is that the Doctor just has a regular GPS built into the console for some reason, but I think Cottrell-Boyce might actually intend that to be the voice of the TARDIS, which would indeed be shit.

It's Meta Crisis 10 in his older years

>You just have to embrace the weirdness
I'd be able to embrace the weirdness if the story wasn't dull as drywall. I'm only on episode two, though, maybe it gets better.
>Nation should have been proud of Marinus desu
Was he not? It may not have had the impact of The Daleks, but I think it's quite good. Written in a hurry, I recall, but solid nonetheless. The trial stuff is rad.

It was always the scarf up until Matt Smith. Now it's the bow tie.

Would you approve of the TARDIS directly modeling an actual police box from back in the day like pic related?

I want it to be modelled after one of the shit ones in Edinburgh

>I think Cottrell-Boyce might actually intend that to be the voice of the TARDIS
How can someone be such a bad writer and manage to write for the show twice?

I wouldn't care. Part of me would be more interested to see it go in the other direction, and have weird modern proportions with no resemblance to the original, just to see how much Clayton would rage.

How about this one?

>mfw i assumed the guy in that pic Neo keeps posting saying "Am I proud of anything in The Keys of Marinus ? I can really say…no." was Terry Nation

Not really, no. The TARDIS has gained an iconic look now. A lamp, 'Police PUBLIC CALL Box', two windows with six panes, three panels on each door and the 'PULL TO OPEN' sign. To change any of that would not only be unnecessary, but it'd alienate all audiences, fans and casuals alike.

12s alternate Tardis

Wait, me too. Who was it?

i'd say it's still the scarf but the bow tie will replace it soon

It's a ...ahem....divisive episode Written specifically for the under age 12 yr old viewers (and parents getting a bit tipsy after a few bottles of wine on a weekend), but broadcast too late in the evening for any of that potential audience.

I always assumed this as well for some reason. Even though I know what Terry Nation looks like.

Designer Raymond P. Cusick who designed a lot of the first two seasons of Doctor Who, including the iconic Daleks

twitter.com/MrWhelan101/status/957731575097188352

What did he mean by this?

t. Hickman

There's arguments for both, but I think it's to do with the generation and the iconic Who of the time. For people maybe 30+ it's Tom Baker, otherwise it's David Tennant and/or Matt Smith.

it's a comfy episode desu

I can understand him not being proud of it, since it does look pretty cheap, though I'm sure it was the best they could do with the budget.

This makes it better. I actually really like Keys of Marinus, particularly the courtroom stuff.

That fucking fez too. Even though 7 did the fez and mop first

Just seen this: youtu.be/sAknPKGpcv0

Why are there singing Daleks in Jubilee (I haven’t listened to it)? What’s the context?

The dumbest recorded sentence in human history.

they should do an episode where he fixes the chameleon circuit but the next place he lands is [time era when police boxes were a thing] so it turns into one of these or these . Doctor who doesn't like it so changes the settings on the chameleon circuit back to last used and turns it off.

He doesn't believe that a species capable of making posts as stupid as what he reads on reddit would be capable of travelling to the moon.

They're made of mentally ill humans IIRC

The Dalek supremes hold a talent show to identify which Daleks are not pure because Daleks should not have talent.

'Bow ties are cool' became the cringiest thing to come out of Doctor Who. The phrase itself is fine, it's the masses of normie Tumblr girls who made it what it is. The majority of them won't even be fans anymore.

fucking hell Shearman

I think it looks quite good and was surprised to hear him so down on it. The stuff with the plants does look a bit shoddy, but apart from that it was alright.

I like how he uses the exact same technique to simulate distance on Marinus as he did on Skaro, with the matte painting making it look like there are multiple arches in the distance of each other

I bet they don't even understand the point is that bowties are -not- cool and Eleven is out of touch

>10.33 GB for 5 minutes of episode

this recon can go fuck itself

I loved all the stuff in The Snows of Terror.

Is this for the TUAT recon?

Just started listening to it, hope it’s kino. Supposedly it’s one of the best Who stories ever and a credit to early BF.

It is pretty fucking kino. 6 and Evelyn are the team we desperately needed on TV.

Yeah. The Heaven Sent one wasn't this huge because it was pretty much just a slideshow in iMovie, I'm using Final Cut Pro for this one so it's got loads more overlay effects to make it more accurate to Loose Cannon.

That's the problem. So fucking annoying to see 'fans' not understand that Eleven isn't meant to be a cool hip young man who's quirky and silly, he's an old man who got a young body and tried too hard to utilise it. 'Is he old? Please, tell me I didn't get old, anything but old. I was young!' That's the overview of Smith's personality in a nutshell, admitted in his last onscreen appearance (so far).

damn I was looking forward to it

Look at the face of this brave Osgood cosplayer after she's been told that 13 will be a womyn.
Pure victory.

Nah I'm still doing it, I've put it on my external hard drive now.

idk, man

Makes it all worth it doesn't it

forgot pic

Would you like to see Romana come back to the show? If she were to come back, she probably won't have been President, which would be a huge shame.

The Trial theme is fucking kino in audio form (as is Seven's)