Was he right? Should the kind of immigrants Superman represent still be seen as the ideal...

Was he right? Should the kind of immigrants Superman represent still be seen as the ideal? Should he continue to represent the idea that people should forgo their original culture and integrate into their new country?

>was he right?
Does he need to be?

Superman was made by 2 jewish guys during the peak of the jewish assimilation, when jews thought gentiles would let them alone if they left or downright reject their semite heritage. Things have changed. It's a very complicated topic and it'll get ugly because Sup Forums

Supergirl's sorta the more relevant one there honestly. Clark generally doesn't know anything about his heritage until he's older. I wouldn't expect a Vietnamese baby or whatever raised basically from birth in Kansas to be different from any other American.

Yes, but. It's not something Ennis touches on extensively in that issue, but I think one of the most understated elements of the "Superman as the ultimate immigrant" metaphor is the Fortress of Solitude. It's a place of his own where he can be alone, away from the society he integrates in, and keep a part of his birth world alive through keepsakes, imagery and mementos. A place of quiet reflection and return to his roots, but at the same time not something that chains him to that identity. He doesn't stop seeing himself as american or an earthman just because he keeps all that stuff, but he keeps it anyway, and through it keeps Krypton, or his idea of Krypton, alive.
In a roundabout way, I feel like Superman can definitely be portrayed as a man integrating wholly into his world, creating a new home and family, but to do so it's not strictly necessary for him to forgo everything about his birthplace.

Yeppp. Reminds me of when I was talking to this Pakistani girl who was born in London and spent most of her life in Texas. She was majoring in SE Asian studies, and had to take a course on Hindi.
When the subject came up in conversation, she launched into a huge rant about how Hindi was just fake Urdu and how India was a colonial invention and that Pakistanis were really the true heirs of whatever, and so forth.

Like what the fuck is the point of getting educated if you're still just gonna hold onto all those biases and shit? She's just the example that sticks most in my mind, I can think of others.

STOP BAITING WITH POLITICS
I KNOW THEY'RE DEALING WITH THEM IN THIS COMIC BUT THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS
IT ALWAYS DEVOLVES INTO "YOU'RE A KEK" AND "BACK TO /POL"

JUST STOP

Superman can pass like another white trash. A vietnamese baby raised on America will never be seen as a real American, he'll always be seen as a chink.

>people should forgo their original culture and integrate into their new country?
I won't dignify such an intentionally loaded phrasing of the question, but I will respond to it with another.
Why take lengths to go somewhere new if only intent to bring the old closely behind you?

Would the same not apply to a baby Kal-El who was born in Vietnam?

Because you're a human being and are crafted from your life experiences. It's easy to say assimilate but another thing entirely to do it.
has a good point and so does

This is a good interpenetration we need, none of that throw away your past and become bland or reject your new home and keep all the shit that made you leave in the first place bullshit people keep pushing

>Because you're a human being and are crafted from your life experiences.
Then let a new life be among those crafting experience.

If somehow we found ourselves contacted by an intergalactic society tomorrow, and I made the choice or found myself having to leave to a new foreign world for whatever reason, I would not expect bringing all my human/terran customs while neglecting or outright rejecting all extraterrestrial ones to go over well. By such a philosophy I choose segregation from others, I am not segregated by others.

It's not so much foregoing your original culture entirely.
Superman is openly Alien....as Superman atleast.
Though it kind of helps he's not really even an immigrant, he was raised here as a literal newborn. His Kryptonian heritage is just artifacts given to him by his dead parents but he wasn't raised in them.

But what Hitman is on about is just not being a cunt about your heritage. You don't need to reject it completely but don't feel it sets you apart as an American, don't place others of your homeland above people different from you, and don't continue old grudges. Basically, don't be a cunt.

>Should the kind of immigrants Superman represent still be seen as the ideal

Ideal for whom?

Assimilation/melting pot is required for things like common causes so people can share the same norms and goals.

But for day to day life, to get ahead of each other, self-centered and, yes, tribal thinking is required. Tribalism is the perfect blend of self-aggrandizement and hypocrisy that allows people to only be empathetic towards those they identify with while putting other people down regardless how arbitrary the criteria is.

A society without a major polarizing force that unites people, is kind of like a self-sorting algorithm where people rise and fall in economic status based on a lot of different things, and that's where tribalism and its more known cousin, nepotism, comes into play. There are only a certain number of good jobs, good houses, beautiful spouses.

This is what I've seen, at least

No, chinks are from china, he would be a gook.

Yes.

Gooks are Japanese
He would be a zip.

You aren't wrong, but the idea is that people should assimilate into a new tribe. Yes, tribalism the human default. We aren't changing that. But the melting pot is a real thing and it should be working towards the goal of having everyone break old tribal bonds and move wholesale into a new tribe. In Ennis' case, it's the American tribe. People should go in and drop the old ties they have and just become American. That doesn't mean losing all culture or identity. Again, that's what the melting pot is for. Keep your holidays and your religion and your food and whatever else. But burn away the old politics and bring your unique "flavor" to the American tribe.

That's assuming the american tribe would let you in.

We let fucking anyone in. Just do it legally.

Its really only America and Europe where immigrants integrating into the local culture is seen as this awful thing.

If an American moved to Korea, refused to learn Korean and tried to force all his American values and customs onto the locals he'd just be called an ignorant selfish filthy American pig, both by the koreans and by other americans.

That's the truth.

>We let anyone fucking in
Come on, not even you believe that bullshit. Murricans have treated immigrants like shit since the start. Hell, before WW2, USA was the leading nation on eugenics

>>You aren't wrong, but the idea is that people should assimilate into a new tribe.

only if it's beneficial will people make the attempt and even then, there will be china towns and so forth. I'm not really arguing morality here.

We also used to accept slavery as being totally awesome. What's your point in bringing up the past? Shit hasn't changed at all?

To be fair American Eugenics was pretend the whites were all white and the blacks were all black, unless it's a splish splash of injun blood because that sure is exotic. And this here mulatto label, never happened.

Again, you're right. I was more arguing the ideal, not the reality.

>when Sup Forums decides to post both Captain America and Superman to drop company wars and ally against Sup Forums

Hangook saram, it's korean actually

It's honestly really weird how it's seen as a bad thing.

Like, nobody even takes the time to learn other languages in America, yet most of these liberals are a-okay with strictly spanish speaking mexicans coming in and not learning english. I just wonder if they get that eventually, spanish will be a forced 2nd language in the US if things keep up. Hell, from what I've heard, in certain places in Cali, you actually have to speak spanish if you want service. That's just plain fucked up.

And this isn't even the absolute worst case scenario. At least it's spanish instead of arabic. At least it's a language that has a similar structure to the english language. Arabic is entirely foreign, and that's becoming the forced 2nd language to a lot of European countries.

>speaking more than one language is fucked up
kek