I decided to give Marvel a shot. I've read some comics in the past and I have a general idea who's who...

I decided to give Marvel a shot. I've read some comics in the past and I have a general idea who's who. Supposedly Marvel NOW! is a good place to start but I wanted to begin with AvX.

My question is - will it make any sense for a new reader like me? I have all the tie-ins and stuff like that but I have no idea what have happened in House of M and other stories that were before AvX.

Don't give Marvel a shot. It'll make your life easier.

The non-meme answer: The thing about events, especially Marvel events, is that they establish the status quo for the next event- so its really hard to pick a clean jumping on point for the whole universe if you don't want to start back in 2004 or whatever. What I'd recommend is to start with a character or team that you're interested in. When their comic leads into an event, then, at least you'll have context for SOME of the characters, and the rest you can pick up along the way.

AvX is in a way the final chapter of a 10 year run.

Find a character that you are interested in and find a point that's an easy start point for new readers.

Avoid events they aren't catered to you and they are mostly pretty terrible for those they are created for.

Current Marvel started with Bendis Avengers desu

Read Muh Phoenix instead

>unironically suggesting Bendis to anyone

Crossovers in general are a bad place to start, they're always such a mess. It's more fun reading a run leading up to a big event then the event itself.

Don't worry about references to previous crossovers since those are going to reference previous stuff before it and will lead to a never ending cycle of looking up past events to know what happened.

start with solo runs or team runs.
and STAY AWAY FROM SJW COMICS

Thanks for the replies guys... So i've made up my mind and I decided to start with Marvel NOW! right away. I want to go with Thor, Moonknight, Deadpool and I'd like one Avengers, one X-men and one Spiderman series. Which ones wouldd you consider to be worthwile?

Read the hickman run, both avengers and new avengers
For x-men, read uncanny x-force by remender from 2010
I'd recommend no recent spider man series

Thor God of Thunder is a great one. The first 12 issues work as a self-contained story with an epilogue of sorts.
You can also read on further, if you are not bothered by the fact that Thor's hammer will eventually get passed to a woman. That story really tested the fragile masculinity of most manchildren on Sup Forums.

Personally I would say skip the Deadpool comics with the US president thing going on. It wasn't a good time.

It sets up the working relationship of Agent Preston and Deadpool and connects Wade with the magical part of MU, which will remain a part of Duggan's run going further. Plus it did have some good jokes.

AvX doesn't make any sense regardless of how new you are.

Both recent Moon Knight volumes were really solid. Can't go wrong with those.

Thor God of Thunder is really good fun. It is generally a better idea to look at individual arcs and not really caring about the era/meta-plot. Practically every crossover has some really weak issues and several people of varying skill levels writing parts of the same story is not a great idea if you want things to make sense.

I stopped reading as it stank of editorial meddling. After the whole God Butcher thing and Thor being such an OG it was really jarring for him to suddenly not be worthy. Got the impression that it was going to go in a much more interesting direction as well before the femThor stuff. Started reading Azarello's Wonder Woman instead which was a pretty great replacement.

>After the whole God Butcher thing
Ah, but see, there's no "after", that storyarc is still going on and it's central to the reason as to why Odinson lost his hammer.
So I don't see how editors have anything to do with that.

> skip Dead Presidents

every damn time Duggan's run is mentioned someone says this, stop it.

You should read the ultimates line, at least it was made for people like you and you can get the gist of things.

>Thor, Moonknight, Deadpool
Great picks.

Thor is great, and if you like what you read in this current run there are TONS of great Thor mythos you can read

Moonknight has less books but most of them are REALLY good, so if you like what you read you can pretty much pick up any of his books and enjoy

Deadpool really doesn't have to worry about continuity so again, you can just pick up almost anything except Waypool

>one X-men series
>after Marvel Now
Oh boy.
So do you want a cool series that was cancelled too early and is ultimately irrelevant to everything else or do you prefer a comic that goes on forever and where nothing fucking happens for years?
Seriously, the X-Men franchise was left in a terrible spot after AvX, with a complete idiot in charge of the main titles.

You know what, read Uncanny Avengers. It's not exactly my taste, but it's better than recommending anything else that was going on in a "major" X-Men comic. At least that had an actual plot and wasn't immediately cancelled after the next relaunch.

>Supposedly Marvel NOW!

You got jewed user.

He should be going back to 2004 anyways if he wants a cluster of good stories. Everything somewhat current is either crap or a rare diamond that doesnt link up easier to other diamonds.

I agree.
2000s were a good decade for Marvel. 2010s really, really suck.