GALAGA ANIMATED SERIES IN DEVELOPMENT

variety.com/2017/digital/news/classic-video-game-galaga-developed-animated-series-1202503087/

>Anyone old enough to have set foot in a video arcade recognizes the name Galaga, the game that had players vaporizing housefly-like aliens in outer space. Now, in the endless hunt for marketable IP, the insectoids are getting their own back story.

>Sweden- and L.A.-based production company The Nuttery Entertainment is developing an animated series and other extensions of the 35-year-old Galaga brand. The Nuttery has signed an agreement with Bandai Namco Entertainment, the Japanese video-game firm responsible for Galaga, which was spawned by an earlier classic, Galaxian.

>The Nuttery, a new outfit specializing in digital content, is expecting to develop new characters and stories based on Galaga, including an animated series titled “Galaga Chronicles.” The company’s creators, Magnus Jansson and Erik Öhrner, previously founded animation studio Assorted Nuts. The new Galaga projects are to cut across various platforms.

>“We are incredibly honored to be able to work on such an amazing legacy property and help launch it into the animated space,” Jansson said. “There is such a deep love for this game from fans around the world, and our team is excited make sure the next chapter in the Galaga saga is equally impressive and inspiring as its humble 8-bit beginnings.”

>Added Hirotaka Watanabe, an executive officer at Bandai Namco: “While the re-imagining of the game into animation will be unique and, for the first time in Galaga’s history, story- and character-based, there is also a great respect for its history.”

>The Galaga deal continues the trend of transferring video games to film and TV, including such properties as Lara Croft and World of Warcraft.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too. Cautiously optimistic though.

This belongs in Saturday Supercade.

Bump

I mean, it could be anything. What kind of story is there to build off of?

Remember when Namco made the Mappy office comedy? Nobody does except me. It was comfy. The only thing anyone remembers that whole venture for is Homestuck, and even that was swiftly forgotten.

My brother and I used to joke about a Pong movie starring Vin Diesel where aliens are trying to use their massive planar spaceship to bounce the Earth into the sun, so Diesel's character has to pilot the giant experimental P.A.D.D.L.E. ship to bounce it back into orbit

I hope this is kind of like that.

I watched that, and also read/watched the Bravoman stuff. It's a shame that neither of them got any attention for those series.

Xevious > Galaga

Gotta say I never expected Galaga of all games to get a series. Regardless I am hyped.

Will a compete with the production of the Tetris cinematic universe?

>yes that's an actual goddamn thing now

I blame "That man is playing Galaga" for this.

It better be super 80s themed

Most of me thinks this is a stupid idea, but a small part of me is hoping for awesome space dog fights.

You know what I'll take it. PAC Man has his shows why not some other characters. Although they should use a series with a actual character. I'd watch Dig Dug the animated series

Dig Dug reminds me of Andrew Dobson.

>get used to bullet-hells
>Play Galaga, it's piss

Oh wow! I can't wait for the episode in which a pilot is shifting left to right while shooting a bunch of enemies in a static formation! And the second episode where that happens, the third, the fourth and the fifth!

>Namco still won't make a Tekken cartoon

How hard is it to make a wacky action comedy?

We did get a Tekken OVA, which had Hayabusa, or whatever the dude with the wild hair was called, throwing his child down a ravine.

My first thought as well.

HAS BAMCO LEARNT NOTHING??

i know that series it was good

Ditto I would have love to see one of r-type though.

DAMMIT I HAD THIS SAME IDEA LAST YEAR AND MADE PICTURES AND EVERYTHING.

Will it at least have an 80's aesthetic to it?

Man what a bummer. But I'm obviously also excited.

Well that all depends if they're going to try another "kids show" based cartoon.

>DAMMIT I HAD THIS SAME IDEA LAST YEAR AND MADE PICTURES AND EVERYTHING.

Post the pictures

Is this due to the success of castlevania?

I think it might be but until we have more information about what they're going to do with the series it may be better to approach with a sense of cautious optimism and not expect too much yet.

>it's just namco high TAS

Same

If they don't, they're doing it wrong.

The Centipede comic has been a great apocalyptic epic, so who knows.

I love the game but...well we'll see, I guess