Comics Alliance and Sites Like It

I don't know about the rest of Sup Forums but I liked the website, as it did focus more on comic news and opinion pieces that read like the people knew what they were talking about, but I am relatively new to Sup Forums and don't know it's history to the site, so what does Sup Forums think and what sites are there that are similar or are better than it?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/stillgray/status/790204593481224193/photo/1
comicsalliance.com/dc-universe-rebirth-1-roundtable-review/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Comics Alliance is patient zero of all the social justice bullshit that's been going on in comics for the last few years. "Think pieces" written by morons and one of the dumbest mother fuckers around (Andrew Wheeler) who ran the site for a few years. Also trying to help their buddy ruin another artist because of said buddy's grudge is pretty shitty.

The buddy ruining an artist thing, is that Sims you're talking about?

I thought it was pretty good until Wheeler took it over, and after that it published more dumb shit while still having occasional good shit.

Comics Alliance gave Kate Leth a career in comics. For that, they will always be shit.

Aren't the ones who broke in to comics making it their mission to bring the rest of their cancerous brethren into the industry to reshape it in their image?

What'd she do?

So who is Andrew Wheeler and what did he do o the site that made it different than before?

She did a comic strip for them. But I remember they also used to have David Uzumeri writing regular articles and that stopped a couple years back.

Does anyone have the image detailing her affair with that dude who has cancer? Not only is she a terrible writer, she's an even more terrible human being.

So I'm guessing any dislike to Comics Alliance is more what it has done to the overall industry in its short-bursts rather than anything meaningful, after all, people who talk about the industry will get themselves involved. I had heard about some controversy involving one of their writers harassing an artist and I want to know if there's any truth to that or supposed SJW outrage (I first heard it on the Mary Sue). Plus, please recommend me on good comic news sites.

There aren't any. There are a couple good podcasts/youtube channels. Comic Pop might be the best cause Sal had good taste and has no problem calling a book sgit when it is. And Tiff is adorable. Linkara is ok but i think he's too forgiving on shit comics, but that may be because he reads too much bad stuff to review.

Comics Alliance is responsible for the transition websites made from "Comics News" to "Comics Politics". Shit-slinging and virtue-signaling and outrage-mongering got more clickbait than just relaying solicitations and press releases, so they briefly saw a huge surge in popularity. The competition like CBR and Bleeding Cool began to emulate CA's style to compete and now we are where we are.

What killed CA was that the nonstop outrage train they ran day in and day out, having to dig for increasingly more silly things to get upset about, eventually burned their readership out. You can't stay in a perpetual state of outrage and righteous indignity. The succession of site runners with their specific agendas eventually ran it into the ground.

>Laura Hudson
Feminist agenda, wanting more girls in comics and going on about "toxic masculinity" before it was cool
>David Brothers
Black guy who wanted to see more brothers and sisters in the industry and was willing to call every publisher a racist until they filled more diversity quotas
>Andrew Wheeler
Gay guy who was just upset about EVERYTHING. Really ran with the transgender stuff, but was willing to get mad and make a scandal about anything and everything just to keep eyes on the site. He's the one who really burned readers out.

Comics Alliance may be gone, but the damage they dealt the industry may never be repaired.

Isn't Comics Alliance shutting down soon?

Don't read the Mary Sue, they are fucking batshit crazy.

And this is coming from an user who enjoys reading Sam Wilson and fem Thor.

While she worked at Comics Alliance, she was a giant shill for Marvel books. In particular, she shilled the worst of the worst books like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl. She jokingly gave one of the earliest issues of SG a "nuts about that booty award" because SG was drawn fat. The next issue of SG had cover art that featured this dumb "award".

Leth is known for writing a particular strip for Comcs Alliance in which she says "I'm a huge fan of Batman. I do not read Batman." She then passive-aggressively insults all DC books for being too dark and praises all the feminist Marvel books instead.

In her personal life, as said, she publicly documented on twitter her affair with a married man, making a spectacle of it along with the fact that he was dying of cancer.

She then went on to work for Marvel, writing a new run for Hellcat, which in every way represents the horrible bullshit Marvel has been excreting for years now.

They've been dead for months.

Sad thing is that CA got SO BAD near the end that the best writer on their site was Chris Sims. Not because he was good, but because reading snide reviews of Power Rangers episodes was a refreshing change of pace from I'M ANGRY I'M ANGRY I'M ANGRY that made up every other post on the site.

That's because those are good comics (a certain Titania scene excepted), while CA is just bad politics.

>the best writer on their site was Chris Sims.

That's pathetic.

The Comics Journal

OP here. Actually Linkara got me into comics and he's more of a person who reviews old stuff rather than talk about the new/relevant

Wheeler summed up in his own words:
twitter.com/stillgray/status/790204593481224193/photo/1

>twitter.com/stillgray/status/790204593481224193/photo/1

Proof that homosexuality is a mental illness.

Why doesn't Sup Forums do their own comics news site?

I'm surprised she likes dudes.

But Comics Journal seems ashamed to talk about mainstream comics or at least capeshit, not to say that they are the only type to talk about. But it's like the thing needs to have some artistic expression, instead of just being fun so it's a comic in artform only. I just want a site with a healthy dose of mainstream capeshit and indie stuff.

OP. I'm just disappointed with that, tired and not outraged because, well, for God's sake, I don't know him, I've never met him and I have no animosity for the guy. The only thing I've read from him was the Jughead Asexual post and I actually like it enough. I like the idea of Jughead being asexual as a retcon to why he's never been into girls and always into hamburgers. But that twitter post is just disappointing and sad.

Don't forget that at the end of the hellcat run she retconed her rape into fucking the guy and then telling everybody she was raped.

I think that was somehow meant to make you sympathize with her.

Leth wrote Hellcat for a female audience, and women don't feel as negatively about false rape accusations as men do (they just consider it another weapon in their arsenal). So Leth and her female readership likely never gave it a second thought.

That was Mockingbird, my dudes. Leth didn't write that one. But it was still shit.

Are there ANY good sites left then?

Oh yeah.
Was hellcat the one where some kid got away with murdering two cops because reasons.

I know it was the one where she complained about a lack of female heros when she was growing up despite that being blatently untrue.

I'm pretty sure all of those are Mockingbird. They managed to cram a lot of bullshit into that book in just 8 issues.

It's not homosexuality that's the mental illness, it's SJWism.

No industry connections, no rich families, no privilege.

Jughead is pretty clearly asexual, apart from one or two stories. Then again, it's been decades since I read Archie.

The sad part about Mockingbird was that apart from those two issues, the run was overall great.
Meanwhile, Leth's Hellcat was overal lousy, aside from the Black Cat arc. But there was very little to specifically get upset about, other than that one page of "My boyfriend got angry at me so he dropped something valuable down the sewer grate, please save me!"

>Not mentioning Ben's glorious puns

For shame.

Yeah. For shame on me, he's a very likable person too. Only Ethan is isn't a completely charismatic person. He's not unlikable just not as amazing as the rest

I was gonna make a remark of how you seemed to be behind on news, but then I realized that it might just be an example of how CA kind of diminished its readership over time to the point that most people weren't aware of what was happening with it in its final years.

Like last year Wheeler's comments about Rebirth in the Roundtable, those would've been circulated around comics internet in the early 10's and someone would try to start threads on Sup Forums to bait people. But I didn't even know there was a roundtable on CA about Rebirth till November last year. That was a bad sign.

What did he say about Rebirth?

I think that's why I like CA during its final moments because there was less of the apparent SJW stuff, or at least I didn't notice it, and had gone back to liking comics for what they are, to an extent

Well for not-cape comics TCJ, and Comics & Cola are good.

comicsalliance.com/dc-universe-rebirth-1-roundtable-review/

Yeah, those turned out to be pretty good.

comicscontium
firstcomicsnews
comiclist

are good websites for comics news

TCJ is seriously hit or miss.

David Uzumeri was the only person worth reading on that site.

More hit than CA ever was.

>Elle: The idea of a Bolland Joker really bugs me too, because Bolland’s really only known for one Joker story. Why isn’t there a Jim Aparo Joker? Oh yeah, it’s because we have to keep reminding the most misogynistic DC fans that the one story they love so much totally definitely happened.

What the actual fuck??

Sup Forums doesn't read comics and once voted for forever evil as the best graphic novel of the year.

That is true, but that's not much of a high bar.

I liked Ask Chris. Sims is probably the most knowledgeable comics journalist around.

I like Greg Burgas' reviews and "comics you should own" columns. He used to write for CBR'S comics should be good section, but moved out to atomic junk shop after CBR merged the CBSG part with the rest.
Sequart got some good articles on capeshit and mainstream comics, though they seem to be interested more in British invasion writers.

>I liked Ask Chris. Sims is probably the most knowledgeable comics journalist around.

Too bad he couldn't channel all that knowledge into writing a good comic book.

I'm OP. I like X-Men '92, although I dropped off, and I'm really enjoying Swordquest

X-Men 92 really fizzled out past the initial mini.

I followed it until the vampire stuff, then it seemed to get kinda boring

>Sup Forums doesn't read comics and once voted for forever evil as the best graphic novel of the year
It's slightly justifiable in that the voting was run by someone from the cartoon side of the board, who made stupid categories and let things like Forever Evil slip into the running.