How does Sup Forums feel about Penny Arcade?

I've heard them described as the "New Yorker" of webcomics, and I think I'd agree. Neither is funny.

its alright

Used to be funny. Aren't funny any more. When they were good they were amazing, now they're just painful.

I've heard you described as the "Liberace" of original posters and I'd agree. Both of you are faggots.

Usually at least passable writing although pretty much everyone hates the current artstyle. Although to be fair it's not incompetent or horribly lazy, it's just deliberately made ugly because Gabe wanted to push his art in a terrible direction for some reason.

They still occasionally produce a really good strip, it's just rare.

I miss when they used to actually talk about games that were current.

Used to be pretty good, now are good fuel for LOL threads

used to like them. That was the better part of a decade ago now

Their quality seemed to dip around the time of hte ps3/360/wii era

It's weird you pick that comic because I think their bodily non sequitur joke comics are the weakest, and their criticisms of games (video, tabletop) more poignant.

Or, if it has to be a dick joke, at least make it gaming related, like the dickwolves.

That was about the time they got famous, and when they got famous they got mainstreamed. They can't afford to have edgy, contrarian opinions any more. Got to keep the gravy train rolling in.

>like the dickwolves
They can't make jokes like that anymore, they're liberal northwest overlords won't let them.

I like a lot of their content outside the actual comic itself, like Acq Inc and their podcasts. Their actual comics are meh though

Tycho can't really write, nor could he ever. Have you ever read the comic descriptions? He has no sense of flow between his paragraphs. He'll open on one subject and without any transition at all move onto a wholly new subject

I agree, using big words doesn't make you a good writer

it's been on my backlog since forever, and even though I'm barely entry level, I usually come off as a 'penny arcade forums guy'.

I liked the first 2, the last one felt rushed and was overall pretty meh

I liked the RPGs starring them. Old-timey mystery solvers fighting fruit fucking robots and eldritch gods. Wish we could continue using our OC in the last game, but I liked what I got in the end.

see

Lol, I forgot about those.

Started all those shitty gaming webcomics that are painfully unfunny or flat

they made a joke about how in MMO Quests you only rescue X amount of people to win by having the X+1 person look at the character and plead for help saying he gets raped by dick wolves

B^U

I get the feeling they don't play as many games anymore.

And conventions are kryptonite to controversy.

And they had a hilarious rebuttal the next strip or two. They've walked it back since, iirc.

Came here to say I had a lot of fun playing their games. They were short but sweet.

I wasn't big on the third game's transition to pixel art style, though.

>I wasn't big on the third game's transition to pixel art style, though.
Yeah, felt like it was a big step down in quality too.

This. I used to enjoy reading PA, but I dropped that shit some time ago. The focus on their actual selves instead of just their comic selves, coupled with increasingly questionably art decisions just took away anything worth getting from the strip.

We'll always have the best strip, though.

Can't forget the times they lambasted Buckley. Has he done that lately?

It doesn't help that the third game was genuinely the worst of the series. It was bad enough I dropped it and didn't finish it and go onto 4 until years later.

Totally worth it though, 4 was great.

Seems like they ran out of money but wanted to finish the trilogy. I think the second one sold way worst than the first.

Every time I see one of their strips I think "well they can't possibly draw an uglier one than this".
Then I see another one and find out I was wrong.

It doesn't reach the same heights it used to, but I still get a smile out of it sometimes

It seems like most of them these days just fall into the template of "Tycho and Gabe sit/stand and talk about something".

I wish they worked harder to shit out a jpg three times a week, instead of relying on the newspost to explain the joke.

Why he keep drawing himself with hairs?

Brb, changing my Steam handle to Jew Lemon.

What's your favorite PA strip Sup Forums?

Rules to live by.

I really loved it around 2007-2009 ish
It's different now

>it's a your mum joke
>but it didn't use the phrase fat pipes
Fucking awful

Can't think of an absolute favourite, but I always think of this whenever I hear about Penny Arcade.

Having kids ruins your humor, especially when your kid turns out more mentally fucked than you. Something they should have seen comming due to genetics.

This one really made me laugh back then.

>Sup Forums

I like this one so much I bought a print of it

well 3 and 4 were made by a different company to 1 and 2

Forever my favorite

My favorite multi-parter

The "don't make this weird" WoW Worgen quest strip.

Too lazy to save it.

Lol, that was a pretty good punchline

Lazy motherfucker.

>tfw this innocuous shit cause a literal ocean of asshurt.

Wasn't that the won that awoke the SJWs?

>rapers
Only penny arcade that made me laugh

There are multiple websites dedicated to chronicling the battle against the horrible shitlords who publish this hateful, toxic comic strip. I really with I'd gotten one of the t-shirts while they had them.

Gave birth to my favorite edit

The modern "tumblr nose" style they've got is really annoying.

Every third or fourth strip still gets a laugh out of me.

Tumblr nose?

bald

is beautiful

I love how Gabe still draws his fatass wife like a teen.

See in how their noses and ears are completely different skintones from the rest of their body? It's that.

It looks like a second mouth.

I don't care about the tumblr noses as much as the melty faces. How did getting even further from copy and paste make it complete shit?

Dick Wolves was one of the few strips that made me laugh they deserve to be raped by wild dogs for backpedalling.

Then the joke is ok because it comes from personal experience.

this. they're so bad now that I feel bad retroactively for the years I liked them

The problem with PA is that it's gone on for too long, and the creators are different people.

Back in the day (I'm a fucking oldfag) they were a breath of fresh air. When it came to games they told it how it was. If a game was shit, they said it was shit, unlike review sites that were paid to shill. You trusted their opinion over game magazines and websites, because they were just like you. And the comic was funny as fuck.

That was 15 years ago though. Mike and Jerry are old farts with children and wives and mortgages. They're not the young adults the vidya industry is aimed at. They've lost their edge and their energy, and it shows. You can tell they've lost interest in their old hobbies, and they're just chugging the PA train along because it's a job that makes them money. PA is no longer relevant, and no longer the voice of vidya players. It's the voice of the previous generation of vidya, and it shows.

Which is a shame. It was fantastic in its day, and I loved the shit out of it. But really it needs to be laid to rest, it's too stale and tired now.

If only there were a way to post images without saving them locally. That would be nifty.

>defending crystal chronicles
for what purpose

Is PA even about games anymore? Half of the comics are either tangentially related at best or are an excuse to draw and write whatever they want.

I'm 28 now, and while I still find myself pulling it up to read out of habit, there's not much enjoyment left anymore.

this

i stopped reading PA a LONG time ago, like 10 fucking years ago

same with a lot of shit, like VGcats and buckelys stupid fucking comic that has an ending and stopped being about video games altogether

I miss the circa 2008 artstyle so much

I miss all the pedophilia jokes

>VGcats
I still pull it up to check for updates and I don't know why. Nostalgia, I guess. They ceased being worth the wait a long time ago.

Fuck you, now I can't unsee it.

I remember when there was a reality show and production crew following these guys around.

And how Robert Khoo always looked like he was barely tolerating the money being thrown at him.

Half the readers were only there to beat off to Aeris.

She's not even that great as far as Furry girls go.

>VGcats
I remember once a tripfag caught them stealing their post word for word for one of their comics lmao

Imagine how much text Buckley would have squeezed in

one of their first comics has like TFC in it
shows how fucking old it is, same with PA and shit from that era

shit, i found some megatokyo in my pile of books. i forgot that was like 2000-01 or some shit and i used to LIKE it. i remember when it was super popular too.

I think it's more the juvenile response they gave to people criticizing it that caused the biggest problems, and not the strip itself.

iirc some feminists whined about using rape as a punchline on their little blogs, and no-one paid much mind, but after the PA guys took offense and countered with a bitchy response at the rape victims venting about it that the internet took notice

I always thought it was ridiculously thin-skinned of them to give a shit about some feminist blog somewhere, actually. It's the fucking internet. There's always gonna be some blogger somewhere bitching about what you do if you're noteworthy at all, and the best response is to ignore them

>but after the
*but it's only after the

Sorry, I'm a bit sleep deprived

I have to wonder how many family members are employed by their "nonprofit"

I mean it was a fun game if you got past all the bullshit. But the bullshit sure was a lot.

>Implying most companies like theirs are not riddled with nepotism

>Asking a friend to buy a GBA in order to carry a bucket for you.

I may be 31 now, but I will always giggle like the rowdy sophomore I used to be when I think of this one.

Been reading it since I was twelve years old, so about sixteen years. I kind of just do it out of habit. I know so much about them personally and I've seen them do dnd live and stuff. It's like... I don't know. Like show some people watch the simpsons, I guess.

>I think it's more the juvenile response they gave to people criticizing it that caused the biggest problems

Their comic response seen wasn't juvenile. They were pointing out the absurdity of the complaint. Which was that the mere mention of rape, in this case used to emphasize how much of an amoral douche the player character is in so many situations, is somehow perpetuating a non-existent "culture of rape." I mean, the rape the NPC mentions is supposed to be seen as awful and terrible. Professional complainers just saw their trigger word and the rest is history.

Though you are right, and Gabe admitted as much later, that they shouldn't have responded at all.

Same, I honestly prefer their blogs and live show to the actual comic at this point.

>a Hebrew iguana

There's a difference?

I love that the "apology" comic actually explained what a dickwolf is.

I bought a house a year ago. I don't use my PC much and didn't get around to setting it up.

I haven't read PA in over a year, but before August 2016 it was the first thing I checked every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

It was more about the routine than any actual enjoyment, is what I'm saying.