Is the thing with Jason that he's a good character but doesn't have any good stories?

Is the thing with Jason that he's a good character but doesn't have any good stories?

Give Scotty Lobs a chance, he's working on it.

>doesn't have any good stories

Eh...

He has good stories. UtRH, for starters.I liked lost days. The epilogue of DotF, the cult is reafable too. He is in for the man that has everything. And current RHatO is pretty enjouable. And I liked the first half of the forner RHatO, for what is worth.

He is not big, bu he has some history behind.

I mean, the epilogue of DotF is nice (dot) The cult...

I don't like my phone at all.

He's not a good character. He's supposedly the Robin that went wrong but he doesn't do anything wrong. He doesn't even kill people anymore. He serves no purpose and makes no sense.

At least after UTRH he was halfway entertaining while he fucked around with the Batfam.

>Is the thing with Jason that he's a good character but doesn't have any good stories?
>doesn't have any good stories
When this meme will die?

Jason is unique among the Robins because he was allowed to move away from his initial status quo. Readers could experience him transitioning from his starting point as a good guy sidekick to his current role in the DCU as an antihero through stories that weren't half bad - that kind of consistency and status quo change is fairly rare in cape comics where every character returns to their initial status quo, hence his popularity.

The day some people stops memeing the "Jason has to be a killer or let him die" day, or the day "Jason should've stayed dead" day, or the day "Jason is an edgelord" day.

People don't read comics, or don't like change, or just want to throw neddles to everyone else food and enjoyment.

It's something in stories called "redemption," user. It happens to characters that regret their previous actions. Usually results in them making up for their sins by doing some good or changing in some way.
God forbid comics characters get some character development.

Under the Red Hood Jason "Red Hood" Todd is my favorite DC character. I liked the fact, that he was an anti-hero, who was willing to kill the bad guys.

In the case of Jason, I think we can even draw some evolution for him.

He was a hero bordering the anti-hero at times as a Robin.
Then, he was an antivillain (good intentions, mad ways), when he came back in Under the Red Hood.
He goes full antihero route until Battle for the Coul.
He stays as a villain-ish for the B&R run of Morrison, for a while at least.
Then he goes back antihero and stays as so for a long time, slightly getting softer.
And now he is almost a hero with bad press and willed to kill and do the dirty job.

I think it's quite awesome how he came out as a somewhat credible character in the development department. As and has said, it's rarely seem in serialized media lice cape comics or, let's say, shounen manga. And it's even funnier considering his messed editorial history. And that's one of the reasons I like him so much.

Other being his badass, canonical origin story, and his inner voice, which add to him being likeable or even relatable in some ways. Because he's so messed up and troubled that it's odd not to find a thing with which connect at some level.

And the badass pulp-but-modern design helps, too.

>has
>lice
I meant have and like.

And I cannot blame my phone anymore.

>Jason Todd
>a good character
Bringing him back was a mistake.

deathstroke?

Both are dismissed designs, japanese inspired by current regular artist for RHatO, Dexter Soy.

Or at least, I think they were dropped designs. Maybe they were just made for fun, I cannot remember.

Ok, and now what?
He was a criminal very briefly and then one day promised to use rubber bullets and shoot people only in their kneecaps. That's not character development, that's the writers not knowing what to do with him. They wanted their badass hero that went bad but they also couldn't let him be bad. So now he just spends a bit more time in biker bars than the other Robins.

He just made it for fun.

Good analysis, user. One of the interesting things about Jason is how flexible his character is.

>They wanted their badass hero that went bad but they also couldn't let him be bad.
This.

If you think that any heroic character in an actual cape book is going to kill every baddy that come across him, you're on it for disappointment. Growing a rogue gallery is hard, and you cannot do it if you have to kill every villain every time.

And then the publishing company probably doesn't want to let them die either. Not even in these cape comics we love so much, because, well, with death being cheap and all that, it's still hard to make profitable a character that you are not using or cannot use for a long time.

Soy really loves Jason, and I bet he loves MGS too.

The point isn't that Jason doesn't kill enough but that he's a poser Punisher.

I'm not saying he should be killing everyone, I'm saying he doesn't have a schtick anymore. There's nothing about him that sets him apart from Nightwing for example. He's a wisecracking ex-sidekick that has his own crimefighting adventures.
He's lucky he has a cool design because the only story that's ever told about him anymore is him coming to terms with dying that one time or being salty about being an outsider in the Batfamily until someone reminds him that he's not.

He's not a Punisher, in any case.
He's a practical vigilante, more so.

It's more that YOU actually don't understand what's going on, not that the writers have no idea what to do with him.

Since N52 started, DC decided to give Jason a new statue que and move him from the villain path that Danial started (the first arc of n52 RHato was literally called Redemption). Jason in n52 became less crazy, but he is still not convinced about the "no killing" rule (he killed plenty of criminals in the first RHato) and only stick to it when he worked with thebat family (hence the rubber bullets and shooting the kneecaps which happened only in events). In RH/A, Jason decided to not kill to set a good example to JD which didn't end up well because she betrayed him at the end. In Rebirth, Jason stopped killing because of a promise between him and Batman.

To sum it up. If you bothered to follow his books, you wouldn't be this confused.

You're not reading his current book. You're probably not even other batbooks. If you think that Dick and Jason are interchangeable, you're very wrong.

I read Nightwing and RHATO, and sometimes I even read Batman, even if I don0t like Bruce, and they don't read the same, not really.

If I could compare Jason to some other hero in terms of characterization, at this point in time, it could be... I don't know. Out of the comics: Bronn from Game of thrones.

Please, don't bully

Screw that. Bron could be Deathstroke.
I honestly cannot come with anyone, but I'm sure there are others.

While Dick could be, in GoT, Robb Stark, easily.

>There's nothing about him that sets him apart from Nightwing for example
Why some of you keep bringing this dumb point? Jason's story and his path in becoming Red Hood is literally nothing like Nightwing. Killing isn't what sets him apart from him because if it was, then what's the difference between nightwing and all of Gotham vigilantes or any of DC young heroes?

Let me be clear.
>I think Red Hood was always shit
>he's shit because writers made him a tryhard tough guy
>fangirl and fanboys alike only like him for their batfamily RP tumblr.

>opinions

Thanks pal, but I'm not confused. All I'm saying is that this "character development" that you're so fond of has stripped him of anything he had going for him. He shouldn't be a hero because he's so one dimensional as one.

I'm reading just about everything in Rebirth and I hate to say it but RHATO is one of the better books currently going, which says more about the other books than anything.
I know he's not exactly the same as Dick, but he's not different enough and he plays the same role without being as relevant. He has the same powerset, a very similar backstory and the same personality.

When Jason was Batman's protege gone bad, Jason was unique. Now he's not. That's all I'm saying.

> a very similar backstory
Dick was a street kid with a trashy parents and got killed by the joker?

>He has the same powerset, a very similar backstory and the same personality.
What in the fuck?
If you actually read a rebirth, never once Jason actually took down the main villain. Which literally the opposite of Nightwing.

That alone should tell you how different they are.

I'm sorry dude, but you literally has no idea what are you even talking about. Jason is "one dimensional" because he doesn't kill? Jason and Dick have a "very" similar backstory/personality/role? Like seriously, what?

Well, I can see your point, but not everything is about their powersets, and there are still personal issues going on for both of them in their books that are not the same. While Dick has serious commitment problems (still has...) and fears about it and about trust, Jason doesn't, and has his own personal problems regarding his image of himself, and how others see him. Both touch the family concept in their books, if you think about it, but also from different ground points and focused in different views.

Not that I think about it, DC comics touch the family concept a lot. As a former Marvel reader (because it was what I could read here, mostly, until a few years ago), thats warm and interesting.

And of course, you have to think that they're still writing their story and they can put and carry both characters across very different paths. Jason has been a supporting main character for events and has a history with jumping alternative realities (and now the mystical aspect too, thanks to n52), as much as Dick now has the spy gimmick, besides the circus background and the issue with the talons (and they can still bring back the police stuff) and make it work, somehow, I guess, maybe?. Noone can say how they will end focusing their books in the next years yet: publishers often like to diversifying their books, make different approaches to similar concepts. It's reasonable,

I keep telling you that Sup Forumsumbler don't read comics and here a perfect example of that.

I'm guessing he's talking about the concept of being and orphan and being taken into someone else wing. And about both liking to be funny, sarcastic physical fighters without powers.

You could say the same about a lot of sidekicks, tho.

why are normies allowed here

This still doesn't make his point better because most of heroes (not just sidekicks) were orphans who have been taken by someone else wing (Batman say hello).

Holy shit you guys, I didn't say they were identical. They're both orphans taken in and trained by Batman to be Robin, eventually growing up and becoming independent heroes who use gadgets, wisecracks and martial arts. I get that they're like Leonardo and Raphael and they have their own unique character variations.

I think I'm done here, you fucks aren't even trying to understand what I'm saying.

I know, I know, and I agree with you.
But I can see where he comes from.

You are saying that they ripped him off the thing that made him different the most.
(I think that) We're saying that there's more to him than that, and that him not being stuck in just that is good.

Did I understand it right?

>I didn't say that they are identical
You actually did.

>There's NOTHING about him that sets him apart from Nightwing