Is he the richest man in comics?

Is he the richest man in comics?

I think Kirkman and Millar might have overtaken him by now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's Stan Lee

I've just done some quick googling and it seems all these sites are pulling numbers out their ass.
I went to 3 different sites for Stan Lee and got $50M $100M and $200M

He's just at 50 mil according to the internet, with a 1 mil yearly salary from Marvel

Just from a quick google they aren't, don't know if those results are anything close to accurate.

Stan Lee - $50 mil
Robert Kirkman - $20 mil

>Kirkman
$20 million dollars
>Stan Lee
$50 million dollars

McFarlane Toys is huge.

it's probably Schulz, just think about it

>McFarlane Toys is huge.
As huge as The Walking Dead?

I would believe that Todd was smart with his 90's Image money. I mean he was already a family man by then, meanwhile Rob was like 20 years old and according to the Image documentary spent money like it would never stop coming in.

At one point one of the former Extreme studio artists tells a story about a guy in a full Badrock costume crashing Rob's brand new sports car and Liefeld didn't even care, he just bought a new one.

Don't they make and sell the Walking Dead toys?

At one time
but he dead

Yeah, I have some issues with Todd, but the man knows how to business.

You are underestimating it. It is more than just Spawn figures. They do sports as well. Plus they have deals with Walmart, Toys R Us, etc.
Also, wonder what percentage Kirkman actually gets.

I think AMC owns the show, not sure what Kirkman gets in royalties. Not sure on the game, but it's probably getting split too many ways.

>worth
This includes how much any publisher makes with his products. That's not his money.
With that method of computation, a lot of mangaka are worth more than this. A lot of eurocomics people too. Because unlike the US system, they keep the copyright of their work, meaning their "worth" include the sales of any toy, any videogame, any movie, any Tshirt, any food made with their product.

I'm pretty sure the woman who created Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha is the wealthiest mangaka

I think Todd actually owns all of this own stuff for the most part.

Jamie Hewlett if you still count him

>manga
>europoor
>mattering
>ever

You do realize McFarlane's been running McFarlane Toys for like two decades now, right? And they also produce Walking Dead figures and stuff? So he's got to have made a lot of money from that.

I know nothing about Europe, but Mangaka are worked to fucking death, so I really don't think any of them are making superstar money.

and a good portion of Niel Gaiman's

Mcfarlane owns all his shit.
How new are you?

Burn. He can be a dick, but I can't deny he is in a better spot than a lot of creators because of it. Man can business.

guffaw

You can't get Richer than Rich "The Leech" Johnson.

>got sued millions for using a hockey players name in a comic
>still a millionaire
jesus

How's he worth so much money? I'm serious besides Spawn I don't know much about his work

Akira Toriyama was listed at around $45M but that data was from around 4 years ago

He runs McFarlane Toys.

damn

The ones that take hiatus' are the ones who make it to their senior years. The you have the guy who did Astro boy who dropped dead at 60 because he got like 2 hours of sleep a night

Net worth includes "capital".

He doesn't actually have 300 million dollars.

I think we're forgetting someone.

He still owns(? or is president of Image at least), which makes a bunch of popular multimedia shit, he owns McFarlane Toys, which makes a whole shit-ton of licenced toys for movies, shows, video games, and sports.

yeah no shit, what a dumb fucking question

He's one of the survivors. He did other work too, so I suppose that helps. I know he did the character designs for most of the dragon quest games.

He's an idiot and squandered everything. Should've kept riding Todd's coattails.

Good to see that Ed Powers found success in other spheres as well.

Still. Being worth all that money because you're a mediocre artist must not suck.

>grrr my globalist pro american champion is in trouble, time for american culture approved racism and meme!
Fuck off,retard

So what I get from this thread is that diversifying assets is a good thing?

Yeah.

Yes that's basic Economics putting all your eggs in one basket is stupid financially speaking

also don't blow loads of money on shit acting like it will keep coming in forever

Image creators are the richest cause they don't slave to another company. They created Image to support the creators and ended up reaping the biggest dollars, So Jim Lee, McFarland and Leifield are the richest comic creators

Anyone know how much ed brubaker worth nowadays?

a long time ago she was, its Eiichirou Oda now

don't know how much I trust this website desu,

also nice digits

So in general are their more financially successful western comic than Japanese mangakas?

>Stan Lee and Robert Kirkman's net worths combined are less than Eiichiro Oda's yearly income

Damn that's not bad good to see he's making a bit of bank since he's actually a good writer

Well one literally worked himself near death so it gives me a little hope.

In general? Honestly, it's hard to say. I'd say most artists, both in Japan and America struggle. But for the ones who become successful, I'd say the Japanese artists are more successful.

Not that there are more of them, but the average successful Japanese comic artist is going to make way more money than the successful American comic artist.

HBO money?

Ike Perlmutter is worth 4.1 billion.

Calm down son

not a creator, so fuck off you jewish cunt

Its Jim Davis you dummies.

Where in the OP does it state that we're talking about creators only you dumb cunt?

Why so hostile?

In that cast Disney wins by any account

So phrase your thread better next time

Not even close.

Are we only counting comics earnings? Surely Oprah or someone has done a single comic issue.

>comics
Oh user.

Also I had totally forgotten about Mark McGwire's balls.

Nope.

Those sites are usually based on guesses, or even worse, based on straight per-inflation "net" worth based off a decades-old guess. There's very rarely any accuracy, because going to the records - business tax returns, personal tax returns, just to begin with - and seeing what you can infer from them requires a) time and effort and b) someone on payroll to do the work.

The thing is, people very rarely want to talk about their earnings, especially if their earnings are exceptional in the field in which they're still employed, so you very rarely have any kind of solid sources (other than when it comes up in court filings) - unless you want to go digging around company filings with the relevant local/national companies register - and mostly it goes by rumor and headline.

For example, Mark Millar is raking it in from selling all those movie rights, right? Well... only the ones that actually get made. The headline figure for a movie rights sale is just the balance due on completion of the project, not an immediate payment. It can take years, it can never happen at all, it can happen because another movie got made and it's using your title/characters but nothing else, so "your" movie never gets made. Mostly, you get a little upfront and nothing else.

Or to look at it a different way: say McFarlane earned $50m from Image, including sales of movie rights, between founding Image and the Spawn movie coming out. That's about $10m a year, on average; and it was 20 years ago, so is it reasonable to assume he made $10m every year for 25 years? Is it reasonable to apply interest to that, and so on? Because that's what these sites do if they're not just reaching into their asses and plucking out turds.

This one's much more likely, but that's the wrong Jim Davis. He's the guy who owns New Balance, not the Garfield guy (or the other Jim Davis billionaire who mains some kind of staffing thing).

I've heard that $1m annual salary thing before, but I would guess if there's any truth to it at all then it's a combination of an old-style final-salary pension (which would be significant, given that he was employed in senior roles from the 1940s to the 1980s, but nothing close on a million) and his appearance fee for cameos in movies, which he's been doing for a very long time. As such, some years it might be more, most years it's going to be less.

It is his money should he choose to liquidate

Sup Forums kiddies on summer break always get so upset over the smallest things lmao

I think if we're being fair they should be considered if they've published (as creator or publisher) in the last few years, but other than that I'm open.

So if bill gates made a comic company youd rate him? Retard

bill gates created microsoft, which created HTML, which most webcomics are posted in. So yeah, Bill Gates is the most profitable comic creator

>diversifying assets is a good thing
Mutual funds say hi and "yes"

>microsoft, which created HTML

>microsoft, which created HTML,

the guys not as loaded as he use to be

Motherfucker still can't buy some talent with all that money.

>microsoft, which created HTML
U wot

Have he and Kishi surpassed Rumiko Takahashi or Akira Toriyama yet?

A very long time ago, yes.

Tezuka slowly worked himself to death but Hepatitis-C was what actually finished him off. He packed a medical doctorate, the second most prolific comics output of any artist in history and his own animation studio, which he saw into bankruptcy twice into about 45 of those 60 years though, so he could have done worse. His contemporary Shotaro Ishinomori, THE most prolific comic artist to date, also died at 60 but he didn't run his own animation studio, he did a shit ton of TV projects on top of that though.

Oda is obnoxiously rich.

Perlmutter is Trumps bff so you're way off the mark autismo

How much the dudes from man of action ended up getting?