Can Manhattan Die?

I saw that Death of the Endless supposedly closes up shop with the universe in DC canon, but how does she take Manhattan? He seems to be just as strong or stronger than Death, and capable of existing without a physical body in the first place.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2je2c45Ig
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hope so. New York really needs to die.

Doctor Manhattan, as presented in Watchmen, is not really that strong by comic book standards. He is on the same level as the Silver Surfer with the Power Cosmic. There are many, many characters that surpass him in power.

And honestly, that doesn't really matter at all, because Death doesn't fight people, she doesn't kill, she just arrives. It doesn't matter how invulnerable Manhattan is, Death just shows up and grabs your hand and leads you to the exit.

Please don't turn two great comics into some stupid super power pissing match. Thats not the point at all. Please, for all of us, don't be that guy

If Death can kill her other Endless siblings than she can easily kill manhattan too

Death doesn't "kill", she is a neutral force. She just "happens".

I'm not asking who wins in a bar fight, I'm asking how Manhattan can die.
The Endless all have a logical conclusion because there are no concepts if there is no life, but Manhattan doesn't, physically, anyway, have any mechanism by which he could "die" or be shown the exit. Best I can imagine, he just fucks off into deep space or makes his own pocket universe and messes around in that.

Again, it doesn't matter how he dies, he just does.

And also both Sandman and Watchmen were written long before the whole DC hypertime multiverse thing was even a twinkle in Geoff Johns and Grant Morrisons eyes. It doesn't really matter at all because the two things should never be combined and it's sad that DC thinks it's a good idea to roll the actual Watchmen characters into the universe instead of using approximations like the Earth 4 characters.

Well shit man if you don't want to discuss how, you don't have to, but don't get onto me for asking the question.

manhattan is like superman from earth-4, of course Death can take him.

You want New York to die, come over here and do it yourself you bumpkin faggot.

>Johns
>hypertime

Morrison has no trouble mixing up things because he is talented and understands that concepts are not subjects of power level. Johns gave us the Pokémon of emotions and turned ion unto a joke. Morrison and Gaiman can understand each other, Johns have us blackest night and Darkseid war, he is extremely shallow.

As for op, the endless are way beyond the level of elementals, and Dr Manhattan has never been near quantum elemental captain atom.

Johns is high concept in pleb form. His execution is very tame, but he obviously is thinking on a similar plane of how to link things together. Things like the GLs, Sinestro Corps, Star Sapphires, and Ion were already there so he just tried to combine them into one logical system.

Gotcha. Next question, does DC touch on what happens to souls Death leads away?

>How can Manhattan die

He dies like any other ghost or spirit or disembodied conscious has died in comics. He just fades away.

>Watchman Manhattan herald level

I wouldn't even go that far. The guy's main claim to fame is being a disembodied consciousness that can manipulate matter and energy and those are a dime a dozen in comics. Gardner Fox JLA used to fight them all the time.

Of course modern Manhattan is now being hyped as the end all be all of the DC multiverse. But classically he was NEVER that strong.

Not really.

Best guess is that since the sphere of the gods lies outside the multiverse all the souls eventually just end up in an afterlife somewhere after UNIVERSE CLOSED.

Of course some universes just don't end like in the DC 1 million timeline/

Even Wally with his new timestop power has a decent chance of beating Manhattan now

There's a trillion different ways of beating classic Manhattan. And that's not even bringing up magic.

Poor guy couldn't get over tachyons. He wouldn't have any idea what to do if he came up against magic. Zatanna or any decently leveled DC magic user would own him. Being able to control matter means jack shit once you're magiced inside a crystal ball for all eternity.

From what I can tell he's weaker firestorm

>He wouldn't have any idea what to do if he came up against magic.
But if he invented the DC universe he'd know exactly how it works.

I swear if Cereal King retcons Dr. M into creating the DC Multiverse I will shit in his fruity pebbles. That idea is horribly retarded.

He didn't invent it, he just tinkered with it because Flashpoint left it vulnerable.

Oh, okay. Sorry, I'm a DC and Watchmen fan and I've kinda just been on autopilot until Doomsday Clock comes out. Fuck speculation, just give me the damn book so I can make my judgment there. Tinkering sounds a lot better.

>Blue Firestorm created the Presence, the Endless, Magic itself, the Emotional Spectrum, Monitor Mind, Limbo, The 4th World, The Speed Force....

youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2je2c45Ig

If you really liked Watchmen you would be completely ignoring John's retarded fan fiction. Only the original twelve issues are actually Watchmen.

You didn't read Before Watchmen, did you? Did you see the movie before reading the comic?

Death eventually "kills" Destiny itself and Destiny's book has all the information about everything. In Sandman everything and everyone eventually "dies" and moves on.

On one hand, all Death has to do is touch Manhattan and kill him

On the other hand, Manhattan can kill Death with just a thought, especially since (no matter how hard Gaiman pouts and cries), Death is not a unique creature and if murdered by Manhattan, then Necron or any other death-themed cosmic being would just take over her duties.

I always figured Doctor Manhattan, like all things radioactive, has a half-life, which means he has a life.

He's omnipresent and has all sorts of other insane quantum powers and shit, but I figure he can still die, just has to be of age.

>You didn't read Before Watchmen, did you? Did you see the movie before reading the comic?
No, and admittedly yes, but the movie came out eight years ago and age and reading the original completely soured me on the movie for all things sans Comedian, Manhattan, and Rorschach's acting.

I've never understood why people jerk off Dr. Manhattan so much, as many people have already said in this thread he's not that powerful in the larger cape comics spread.

Is it just because Watchmen is popular?

I'm curious because of the technical implications of his character when it comes to dying, not because he's necessarily the strongest.

Darwin isn't the strongest Marvel character but I'd be asking the same thing if it weren't already implied there are beings incapable of dying in Marvel.

>On the other hand, Manhattan can kill Death with just a thought,
You're talking shit.

Yes. He's baby's first matter/energy manipulator so casuals think he's hot shit.

He's really not any different, in fact much more limited ,than many other cosmic tier reality warping characters that nonetheless can, would, and do die to beings like Death.

He just looked at Metron (one of the strongest/most powerful New Gods) and killed him with a thought.