Sonic comics

I've wanted to read the Sonic Archie comics for years now but it being too long+Ken Penders kept me off of it. At what issue did Ken Penders get kicked off for good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dude, you're better off just skimming past his stories if you don't like them. He was writing from issue 11 to 159, but there's plenty of good stories you'd miss if you skipped it all (and a lot of bad ones).

>Dude, you're better off just skimming past his stories if you don't like them.
Thats what I was asking. I wanted to skip his stuff entirely. 159 is a good place to start?

Bad HEAVILY outweighs the good.

Nah, right on 160, that's exactly when new artist and writer took over. I'd argue somewhere around issue 170 is even a better point to start, because new author was sorting just terrible deep lore bullshit for solid dozen of issues. Like, even even among diehard Sonic fans only like 10% will tell what the fuck is a Tommy the Turtle.

SKIMMING, not skipping.
He was almost always the backup writer. Skipping to 160 (he wrote 159 in full) would make you completely miss Angelo DeCesare, Mike Gallagher, Karl Bollers, Dan Slott, etc.

You're doing yourself a disservice when you can literally just skim past every one of his stories, cut your read time by like a third in page count (more than half in time invested because Ken loves dialogue) and read some good (and pretty bad) stories.

If you skim through Ken's stuff...not really. A LOT of the shit parts are Ken. The first 40 issues in particular are pretty fun.

Shut up Boco

Eh, I'll admit I like puns and more of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog feel of really early issues and change into more Satam kind of thing was kind of neat for a while and ultimately paid off in Flynn's run.

It's just still not very good, like I swear to god they did "Freedom Fighters think Sonic turned evil but it's actually Robotnik controlling Sonic" like at least 2 times + when they met Sonic impersonators, the only very early issue I thought that was actually pretty solid was #25, it was just an okay adaptation of Sonic CD.

Your memories are foggy, man.
There's plenty of just outright fun adventures and gags. Like the frog and the magic stones. Or the time Sonic turned invisible and "haunted" Robotnik. Or the ant farm issue. Or Sonic's psychadellic trip with the Antient Walkers.

They aren't bad comics in the slightest. You may not like them, but they're well paced, punchy, fun kids' stories.

Or this fucking thing of nightmares.

God, we need to marathon for old time's sake.

Eh, that story kinda sucked.
Unsurprisingly written by Penders

170 is the best place for newcomers who don't want to see the old stuff to start?

When the fuck is the next ride!?

>I want to read comics.
>How many comics should I not read?

Sup Forums as a whole seems deathly afraid of forming its own opinions.

If you want me to pin point it, then issue 174, it's when Eggman Empire arc started and you wouldn't be lost with just basic knowledge of who Sonic is, his videogame friends and just basic understanding that he has comic OCs here too.

Even earlier there is issue 171 that starts with Shado thrashing Eggman, it plants seeds for future plotlines that will played in issues 180's and 190's, it's an ok, albeit a bit more confusing point to start with, but it would help.

Anything earlier than that - don't bother without reading first 160 issues.

Ian Flynn's issues 160-161 is one ok fun little story re-introducing Bean and Bark, it's fairly self-contained and Bean and Bark have been re-appearing since.

So, ideally you want to read it like this: 160-161, either jump to 171, either 174.

When it comes to Sonic I let it slide because... I've seen things I don't want anyone else to see.

I'll start at 160 then, thanks man.

Well its common knowledge that Ken Penders is trash.

Hey, I am warning ya, everything between 161 and 171 is ground zero for top class autism.

So im fine if I just read 160-161 then 171 onwards? Or is there no reason to read 172-173?

Yeah, and "common knowledge" tells people that he was the head writer, that he sued Archie, and Ian wrote every single mildly entertaining story to ever be printed in the comic.

I'd understand if it was something like Spider-Man, but this is like 400 issues of grade-school reading level comics. It'd take a week to read at worst even if you took your time soaking in all the details on every page, and that's assuming you don't skim any of the shitty stories.

Just fucking read and decide for yourselves.
youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg

Yeah, like, if you read 160-161, jump to 171 just onwards is good. Like in issue 172 there is a character development I guess for character no one could give less of a fuck that is Fiona, she was actually pretty fun as a villain and that's where she became a real character.

170 if you wanna read the pre-boot comics post-Penders. 252 if you wanna read the post-reboot comics, which has far less baggage & is closer to the games.

Meant to say 255 & issue 55 for post-reboot Universe.

This wouldn't look out of place in a furry 'zine from 1999.

That issue was published in 98, I believe.

So, who's ready for Penders to try & sue IDW?

When will he croak?

There's one arc I think holds up and its the one that introduced Finitevus. Its credited as Bollers and Penders work but Penders had barely anything to do with it.

Jesus fucking christ.