Red pill me on Spider-Man Sup Forums, I'm a bit lost as to what his character is supposed to be...

Red pill me on Spider-Man Sup Forums, I'm a bit lost as to what his character is supposed to be. Is he a person who does his best, but resents doing it because it causes him shit and does it anyway? Is he supposed to showcase what a normal person would be like after getting powers? What's his appeal? And let's say that we're talking about the character starting as interpreted by Ditko, ending up around the 90's-early 00's.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLcaNiYV1NC_I5tudwEFXp8PsLzeI_q0XJDQXYGu-js/edit#gid=531554735
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

His greatest super power is guilt.

>>Red pill
Fuck off and stay fucked off.

>Red pill

kys

Personally I think Spider-Man should become a twink for Venom and open his boipussy

he does good at the expense of his civilian life, bc sure he could take occasional breaks, but crime never sleeps and he knows first hand what his inaction leads to

>spider-man's greatest lesson was that if he does NOT act, people DIE.
>spider-girl's greatest lesson is that if she DOES act, people LIVE

Would it be better if OP said "Give me the skinny on"?

He's a self-insert. Nerdy guy who suddenly gets powers and girls want to bang.

Fuck off OP.

Lee/Ditko Era: Peter's an introverted nerd, with selfish desires that you think he would become a Super villain. But his uncle and aunt keep him anchored to Humanity. People are generally jerks and towards the end of the run, everyone hated everybody.

Lee/Romita Era: Peter's mellowed out, along with everyone else. Book becomes borderline romance comic alongside the superheroics.

70s: Peter deals with graduate school, and Gwen's death. Mary Jane starts becoming more prominent. Spidey gets a new book that focuses on more personal stories while ASM focuses on Superheroics.

80s: Hobgoblin and Symbiote era. Peter is now a man and lives on his own. While trying a new do. Book gets noticeably darker in this period with a lot more deaths. Pete and MJ finally tie the knot.

90s: Peter deals with identity crisis and his life falling apart at the seams. Loses his best friend Harry, his parents who he thought alive were fakes. Venom and Carnage cause him headaches, Aunt May dies, and he has several clones, while his wife worries about him and takes up Smoking. Oh and Peter goes insane for a bit. And Norman Osborn is to blame for it all.

Early 00s: Book takes a step back to tell more personal stories while simplifying focus. Peter and MJ take greater focus as a couple. Oh and you get your angsty teen version of Spidey on the side.

Late 00s and onwards:This is where I stop giving a fuck.

>Is he a person who does his best, but resents doing it because it causes him shit and does it anyway?

He's pretty much like Goku in that they both have a quality about them they can't resist giving into even at the expense of their personal life and everyone around them. Goku can't resist fighting and Peter can't resist saving people. Peter is filled with guilt over not stopping his Uncle's murder so he vows to never let that happen again. This unfortunately leads to him having some manchild qualities. The guy can't even sit in a crucial meeting for his company without wanting to go off to put out a fire across the city.

>Is he supposed to showcase what a normal person would be like after getting powers?

The exact opposite actually. When he first got his powers he was selfish like we would all be but he grew past that after Uncle Ben's death.

>What's his appeal?

Personally I just like Spider Man. Peter I can do without because of his manchild traits. Kaine and Otto are best spiders.

This. The fact he married a supermodel and has an endless supply of waifus who want to fuck him(that Silk arc almost made me puke) just shows he's a self insert for nerdy white dudes.

Spider-Man is a beta loser manchild who quotes "nerd" culture like me.

Peter now has a sister

>Late 00s and onwards

Peter is a de-aged manbaby goofball who's happy to be downtalked by any and all women. He's a non-serious dweeb and it's inconceivable for his character to also be a super science genius, but oh yeah he also somehow becomes the equivalent of Mark Zuck and Elon Musk.

Oh god, Spidey's never gonna be good again is he

Interesting experiment, OP, whether you intended it or not.

No. If it makes you feel any better, nothing Marvel will.

Can someone give me a guide on mainline spidey comics to read? I read Ultimate spiderman since when I was younger it was new and I loved it though I hated the fact Gwen died and I don't give a fuck about Miles. I bought Marvel Unlimited and read the first 6 issues of original ASM but don't know if I should read the spin-offs or any future stories that predate some issues in terms of continuity.

2020s Spider-Man is a vagabond who sleeps in Avengers Mansion/Tower and doesn't go on missions, just sleeps on their couch and eats food.

I kept this since last time someone posted it.
It's basically the reading order of everything Spider-Man related, since at some point, his storyline went on through multiple books at once, jumping between them.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GLcaNiYV1NC_I5tudwEFXp8PsLzeI_q0XJDQXYGu-js/edit#gid=531554735

I fucking HATE marvel

So when should I stop reading if I want to keep some positive memories of the Spider in my mind?

To me, it's always been a combination of many things:
>the suit design is simplistic, with amazing use of blue and red, the webs across the red and the expressive eye lenses
>his powers and gadgets are cool and have loads of practical uses in everyday situations that most people just dream of having
>a story about a relatable guy and his everyday struggle to find a balance in his life and always do the right thing, even tho sometimes it proves very difficult
>the interaction between him and the other characters
>he is, over all, a very funny guy and I always enjoy his jokes
>you sometimes learn things about actual science, since, among all the techno babble about fictional science, he uses all sorts of scientific fields to solve some of his issues.
>his supporting cast and rogue gallery is always filled with interesting and fun characters to put him up along-side/against
>he is adaptable and usually learns from his mistakes, by either making new suits to help him in combat, or new gadgets, proving further his more creative side
>the constant shift in tone (from light-hearted quip throwing, to going all out on a villain because they crossed the line, to getting over the death of a character) keeps the book fresh and interesting

It's hard to say, cause his stories are all over the place in terms of quality, regardless of the era you're in.
If you ask me, the moment you get close to Civil War 1 and/or One More Day, that's where you should stop.
Or, at the very least, look up a reading recommendation list, cause there is some great stuff in there, even after the mess that was OMD.

He's as autistic as Batman with his no kill policy.

He's been interpreted in so many ways by now that there is no definitive answer. The current Peter is "manchild cuck who isn't funny and despite being rich/world-famous/targeted by criminals already can't reveal his identity like Tony Stark"

When I slaughter the Marvel head office and start writing books I will fix it all don't worry friend

He acts Jewish even though he isn't.

Well he grew up in a Jewish neighborhood

Fuck off, Brock.

Yes

I need dirt on Spider-man, to show the people who he really is

QUICK RUNDOWN
U
I
C
K

R
U
N
D
O
W
N

Peter is pure WASP.

To me, he's just the everyman hero. While I'd love to see him use his full potential, as hinted so many times regarding his intelligence and in-universe iconic status among the Marvel heroes, I haven't been a big fan of the latest ASM volume (Parker Industries for those who haven't been following).

He's a nerd who receives amazing powers and has a natural response to use them for his own self interest but soon learns how much his actions, or lack thereof, can ultimately lead into.

After that, he's just a guy that constantly has to sacrifice his personal life because he's become so dedicated to helping others and holds himself responsible for every loss. The early 00's had a ton of cool examples about a mature Peter that wasn't a complete manchild but still had troubles balancing his personal life (being a teacher in Midtown High, problems with MJ) while also allowing Aunt May to become more than just a frail old lady.

He's not an infallible icon of truth and justice (like non-HYDRA Cap) or a genius millionaire or an Asgardian God or an Earthly agent of an Egyptian god with multiple personalities or a blind lawyer or a born and raised assassin. He's just an honest guy that's constantly struggling. Hell, just knowing Spidey is a huge nerd made me so happy when I was a kid. It's always been about how relatable he is and how human and compassionate he can be even among all heroes and how he never gives up, even after years of JJJ harassing him, even after Gwen. Because he understands that Spider-man is something bigger than just him.

Plus, he's just such an iconic character both in and out of universe at this point that I love reading him. I love the moments where he reminds people he's been in the business for a long time and his experience and upper limits show. Like when he reminds Avengers Academy that he was the first teenage superhero out there kicking ass or when villains recognize that when Spidey shuts up, shit got serious.

I apologize, this should be a better image.

Not at all. He's not an asshole who wears yellow gold shorts and a sweater over his neck. He grew up in a poor neighbourhood, how can you call him a "pure" WASP, even if he fits most of the criteria?

golf shorts*

I don't think Peter using all of his brainpower would be like Stark, honestly. I see him as a much more humanitarian sort of genius.

That said, I haven't read any of the new run. Can someone give me a quick rundown?

As someone who is curious, how many people has Peter killed in all of his runs?
I'm wondering if he's like a batman hero, or if he has ever realized that the only way to save lives is to bury a motherfucker.

>Late 00s and onwards:This is where I stop giving a fuck.
Eternal manchild, that's all you need to know.

Imagine shit, only smeared all over a collection of pages being sold as a comic book.

He killed Gwen Stacy :^)

He's the guy who doesn't give up, doesn't take the easy way out, and perseveres despite all of the shit life throws at him. Spider-Man saves the day no matter what he has to surpass to do so.

Of course, ever since One More Day where Spider-Man does give up and take the easy way out, he's just been a manbaby retard since

When he tries to kill someone, they survive or someone kill-steals him.

He stopped being a nerdy white dude after highschool. There are plenty of guys and girls who change completely after HS is over.

Watch out for spoilers:

> Peter has company, develops weapons and tech for SHIELD.

> SHIELD liason with Parker Industries is Mockingbird (who knows Peter's secret ID from their time together in New Avengers).

>Battles Zodiac and Mister Negative.

>Deals with the return of several dead villains and individuals in his life, orchestrated by a new Jackal (who turns out to be Ben Reilly).

>Otto Octavius downloaded his brain into the Living Brain a while after Spider verse, returns in a cloned body and later transfers his mind into a Parker/Octavius hybrid. Joins HYDRA soon after.

>Peter ruins his company's reputation when he uses his products to counter an epidemic because PR isn't a thing in comics and he needs to fall somehow.

>Later finances an invasion to Silver Sable's country since Osborn has been playing around there. Loses SHIELD support, Mockingbird leaves SHIELD to help him.

>Finds out Otto is behind Parker Industries' success and is gunning for control of the company with HYDRA's help.

>Somehow forgets that Otto has hacked his tech before (read: ends of the earth) and tries to use company tech against him.

>Mockingbird digs him. They kiss shortly after the events of Secret Empire 0.