/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #390

Just arrived to see you die Edition

Here we are, another thread to discuss our beloved webcomics! Our children ready to grow and be judged by the merciless internet.

Come here to share with us moments of joy and suffering

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/single/?p=11073157&t=11025924
kiwisbybeat.16mb.com/Kiwis/minusb1.html
youtube.com/watch?v=WsWgrf3XLKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ji2TYVUicTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previous: Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

Oh hey another entry! Didn't manage to arrive on time on the other thread so I will comment here.

I have a bit of trouble to understand what is going after after the second page, it's a bit confusing how everyone is positioned and all.

I just updated it!

(It's a Pokemon comic... pls no bully)

Where is it though?

s7.zetaboards.com/Nuzlocke_Forum/single/?p=11073157&t=11025924

Here, you can find all the pages on this.

It's not that good.

wip, issue 3 of >:Maggot Treats

introducing Stu's roach roommate

i don't really like how Stu's clipping through his shower curtain pole on the last panel but i don't want it obscuring him too much either, gonna maybe revise that bit

Trying to pin down a style for it

For starters, don't use the circle or line tools. I know it's tempting, but it looks unprofessional. Never be lazy! Sometimes you have to draw things you don't want to draw to get a good product. Also, the proportions of the arms and legs look a bit wonky. Sometimes one of the limbs are longer than the other and it often looks unsettling. Don't draw stick figures. But most importantly, never use Comic Sans.

Yeah I know about all these things! The shape tools, the comic sans the stick figures... the whole schtick of the comic is that it's comedic... but not well drawn... or the humans aren't anyway.

After this comic's over, I plan on doing a serious comic. Here's a little concept art for that... (I still used the shape tool, but it's just a beginning sketch y'know?)

I tried something else before but Didn't Like It

sorry but is it left to right or right to left the reader's supposed to be reading now?

not tryin to be rude, it looks good man

>Find a cute comfy font to use for lowercases in my comic
>Someone gets triggered because they think it is Comic Sans

I didn't even think the font looked like comic sans, although I guess that is mostly me being too much of a typographyfag to notice the actual differences. Should I get worried and change the font altogether or stay on my horse?

That looks like the font in classrooms

Nice to see you again user
Your bugs are really cute, even the roach. And I hardly find roaches cute in any form.

kek now that you mention it yes it looks like it could be from a classroom.
Is that a good or a bad thing?

that looks different enough from Comic Sans. I'd say you're good.

Left to right. I have the same problem all the time. I keep weighing between whether i want something like that page or something sketchier.
after i decide on how i'm supposed to panel this shit

when i was a kid i watched this movie called Joe's Apartment about a mob of talking roaches that just kind of live to be disgusting, skeeved me out man

you're doin a real good job, keep at it

Thanks user. I'm not exactly sure what to bring to these threads half the time

i dont usually come to this general but do yall have a list somewhere of good webcomics i can read? preferably finished ones and/or non-fantasy. need some inspiration so i can start writing mine.

Pictures for Sad Children if you can find it
Minus if you can find it
something else if you can find it

Here is a minus archive
kiwisbybeat.16mb.com/Kiwis/minusb1.html
Have fun, although the not-being-fantasy bit is a bit subjective.

seemed a little early for the thread to each its bump limit, but whatever, reposting with a little touch-up, not much but I'm fine with it

This is actually one of the better pokémon comics in terms of everything but the art. You should really get yourself an artist and do the writing

Looks good to me. Then again, comic sans looks good to me. To me this looks like comic sans but with a few nice changes and straighter lines. I should use it.

there used to be a Sup Forums recommended reading list but fuck if I can find it
I suggest SITM just off the top of my head. good shit. I wouldn't call it fantasy although a portal to a demon dimension is a major part of the story. 90% of it is normal real life shit

You's-a gettin'-a there. I think it's time to double down on your construction process now that you have proportions about right. That'll help make those shapes better

>tfw never gonna make it
At least the Loomis chemotherapy is helping.

i love the jaw shapes and hair on that skellyman. i also love his glasses but that goes without saying. also cool cheekbones. basically i like this skull guy is what I'm trying to say

don't you mean (You)'s-a gettin'
but mostly i think my problem is i don't really have a steady hand for my tablet. My line control is pretty fine on paper, but i can never seem to get any digitally

When I made him I tried to think of the three coolest things and put them together.
>skeletons
>pompadours
>triangle shades

Been brainstorming concepts for a story with a friend.
A concept for a somewhat villanious lady that floats around like a fairy.

ah does she fight that robot girl from earlier? floating is always cool. I like her outfit, though it could use a belt and maybe boot demarcations

Messing around with color and emphasis on large illustrations.

saw08.tumblr.com/post/163479580657

cooool. Looks like something adult swim would air

>don't you mean (You)'s-a gettin'

Oh (You)

Been working on this little comic series a lot lately

yep! she fights her.

she's actually wearing some sort of techy bodysuit that allows her to float around.

oh cool. Maybe you should indicate that with some kind of glowy bits that largely face downward? like the bottoms of the boots, maybe underside of the forearms.. buttcheeks..

How bland.

There She Is! Already did this years ago and 10 times better.

Toying with the idea of a comic focused on witch's familiars. Here's a WIP design for an extra-thick witch character. (I seriously need to stop letting my dick influence my art, I'm turning this entire story concept lewd just by the designs) Mostly happy with it, but I'll be redrawing that hat, doesn't look right. Thoughts?

hat looks good. it has a fun tilt off to the side
her thickness is pretty awful though, not because of any weird puritain guilt you're feeling, but because it's severely disproportionate. She could fit her entire hand in her mouth, and for a girl like that that's dangerous. Her tits are also too high and everything else seems vertically abbreviated. Go ahead and think with your dick, but try to think with your aesthetic sense too. It guided you really well on her face, which is purty.

That's not thick honestly, that's just fat my man.

Here you go youtube.com/watch?v=WsWgrf3XLKQ

originally doesn't really matter
different interpretation is what matters

So what is going to happen with the third week challenge?

>Not sure whether to reference an extremely obscure old website or EAT A BOOK EAT A BOOK EAT A MUHFUCKIN BOOK
That last drawing was just going to be in the background, being cute and explaining why she suddenly knew words.. but I couldn't find room for it, kept reworking it, ended up doing more work. It's at least amusing to me that those who don't have automatic clothing repair might be slightly jelly. T'was Megan's idea to work this in. She has good ideas. Lots of 'em.
Either way I had fun drawing possibly the best attack ever one more time

Thanks for the criticism, I definitely see what you mean about the proportions now that it's been pointed out.

Yeah, you're right, she's fat. Designed her with the intention of being well, just thick, but I think I lost that with the proportions.

I kind of like the idea of her being fat, though, considering my idea for the character. She's going to be a descendant of the Hansel and Gretel type witch, living in a gingerbread house and all that. She doesn't eat kids like the Hansel and Gretel witch, but there could be some jokes there, other witches teasing her about it because of her being fat. "Oh, how many kids did you eat today?", stuff like that.

That's a funny idea actually. More like she's been eating her gingerbread house
Just remember, fat is just like clothes.. it's something you're wearing over your bones, so draw a skinny person (in terms of construction) first, THEN add the fat, giving it appropriate weight. That way your proportioning will never go wrong

What's wrong with it?

whats the point if the weeb is going to auto win before the deadline everytime because OH MY GOD IT LOOKS JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER MANGA OUT THERE AUTO WIN BECAUSE IM A TOTAL FUCKING LOSER WEEB! ALSO I LIKE ANIME, ....AND MANGA, ~GIRUGAMESH~

youtube.com/watch?v=ji2TYVUicTs

We need that weeb to improve our selves. only the strong servive, and the weak should learn to fear the strong.

Just a quick work over, but I think in general her legs would suggest to me that her torso, chest area would be longer, and overall taller figure. Her upper body in general have not been build up structurally, so it would help if you familiar yourself with what's underneath before laying on the thicc.

Although a lot of it just what I got attempting to make sense of things by drawing on top it, alot comes down to my personal preferences, you might have something different in mind, so take it with a grain of salt.

I don't understand this reaction.

Yea you do

weeb actually cares about his work and takes it seriously, stop sperging out and set weeb as your new goalpost and dedicate your time to climbing that rock all day instead of jerking your cock all day

ya heard?

That ain't thicc.
That's flabby and chubby. Now don't get me wrong, chubby can be cute, but it isn't thicc.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Overly busty superhero Pulse is trying to find out about the powers her father (the guy with the glasses) once had. She can get that information if she steals something of seemingly no importance from her father and gives it to a friendly rival.

She's built a drone for another reason, and using testing it as a cover to look for the item she has to steal. It was said to give off a signal. And she can use the drone to scan for that signal.

So I'm trying to rely the information I need to tell in a limited space, and retell some of the information from earlier in the comic in case it's not remembered.

I worry it's not as obvious as it could be in panel 5 that she found it. Maybe I should have had a visual kind of light for the drone scanning or something.

She has to steal it in two pages if I stick to my (semi-recent) 12 page chapter rule. I have the other pages planned out, but I'll have to keep tweaking them to make sure they're as easy to follow as I can.

In panel 1, I think he probably has his head turned too much compared to his body, now that I look at it. And it still seems like it might be weird without any text, but I wanted a transition from the last page.

That's pretty great. The colors, and the motion, and the angles.

Little nub feet for merchant.

TTTTTTTTORPEDO TITS

It's definitely not obvious to me. I thought she turned around and gave up during that last panel, especially when you specifically said come back later

>No joke
>No weight
>No subtlety
>No nuance
>No inerpretation

You would have been better served writing "Racism is BAAAAAD!" and nothing else. What you're doing works fine as a vehicle for simple jokes, but you're not going to make anything that's "serious" of worth or interest with this little effort. This comic tells the viewer nothing except the extremely obvious.

>missing a t in interpretation
Well don't I look silly.

You really oughta work harder. I have literally nothing to say about this, it's not a story, it's not a joke, it's just a blatant statement and that's it. This is the comic equivalent to a speed bump sign.

>He cares about winning when there is no prize to get in the challenge

Is just a formality, the idea of the challenge is to stop sitting on your ass all day and get a story done.

Finished at last, I hope there is no mistakes and it doesn't read stupid.

>Crossing the speechballoons in P9
Never do this again.
Flip the panel, or put one at the top and one at the bottom, but it's considered bad practice to have balloon tails crossing like that.

Also, what's your target audience?
"Cunt" is quite a strong swearword and would easily get you a Mature rating.
inb4 britbongs using it as casual punctuation.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to remember that.

Also, that character is british, but usually tries not to be very rude with her speech, only speaks that way when angry/on selected company, if that makes sense

The Pulsating Nigga-Watt is still in the works

P3: *Should

P5: "I will do" or "I'll do that" sound better.

P8: I'd put line breaks in after "garden" and before "lowliest". That one line is just a little too long.

P9: As stated, avoid crossing balloon tails like that.
Best to move the top right balloon into the bottom right.
Or, left balloon into the top left, and right balloon a little lower.

Assuming London British, you can get away with "ya cheeky cant" if you want to drop the rating.

QUICK,

What sort of character arcs do your MC's have?

What events drive them?

Nice colors, dude!
I just started feeling something was off during the color phase. Color has always been my weakest when it came to filling in semi clean lines. I feel better when I get to be sloppier I guess.

I need to redo it but an amnesiac construct awakens with nothing but her research notes on the plague and uses it to figure out what happened leading up to that event.
The other mc in the same story is a fledgling doctor whose family was assaulted and experimented on, following a similar pursuit of knowledge and revenge to reverse what has happened to them and their family.

An. Edit in progress kind of. I'm trying to divorce myself from the first two drafts of the story.

Well I hope I get what a character arc is right

His first character arc is him opening up to his teammates who later become his family of choice. He had a really shit past but his squad boss showed concern for him right away, the rest of the squad had a "tsundere" approach to him.

His second arc is discovering that he isn't as much of a coward as everyone -even himself- think, when he decided to sacrifice himself fighting a battle he knew he couldn't win just to buy time for his friends to get away. He survives though.

His third arc is him coming to terms with his past, when the source of all his traumas comes "back to life" and so he has to fight his own represed fears and demons, while also trying to protect what remains of his chosen family from them.

That's for the first part, then the events lead up into them finding out the cause of their mess was the same guy. The amnesiac is tempted by the knowledge the Bad Guy is offering and to give up the doctor friend for it and it's a moral dilemma.

stop replying to that guy

Coping with death and foreign, irreconcilable morality.

Life should have a character arc of her finding a way to find genuine joy in her job, but the most she gets over a lot of time -and Death's motivational speeches- is her tolerating some of the outcomes.

Death has more of a character arc going on for him, which I find quite ironic because he was thought more as a help but became second main MC the more I wrote about him. His deal is mostly that he actually likes Life but doesn't want to pursue any kind of serious relationship because his job will eventually make him take her life away and he thinks he will avoid the pain that way. It comes to Life of all people to make him accept that side of the "you only live once" concept.

one of my MC's has a pretty rough time trying to figure himself out. His body was altered to such a biological level that he has to continue taking the drug that caused it or his body will break down. He has to learn to deal with the fact that nothing can change the past and that he has to be who he needs to be (but doesn't want to be) in order to continue his goal. He gets into a lot of ordeals and his whole story is really just suffering.

>MC starts as a naive girl who believes that everyone is worthy of forgiveness
>The Love interest/villain loses his shit and orders a purge that kills 1/10 of the worlds population
>MC becomes pessimistic asshole

Most of them just want money. One of them just wants that sweet sweet adrenaline rush. Eventually they get both the money and the rush.
Most of the events that drive them are people offering to pay them money for their service.
I'm a firm believer in not shoving unneeded morals where they don't need to be, the story just is, it's a story, it entertains, it's fulfilled its purpose as far as I care.

only a tenth? that's kind of low.

I mean, he only has swords and shit at his disposal. Kinda hard to kill even that many.

Well, how does he kill even a 1/10 of the population? That's a lot of fucking bodies for just a guy with swords. He doesn't find some kind of ancient doomsday device and reactivate it or something?

>He doesn't find some kind of ancient doomsday device
He does, but he doesn't use it for that. By this time he controls 2/3rds of the world and just systematically kills those who don't submit over the course of a year

Are there any webcomics focused around detectives/mystery?

I have been working on a concept for a comic with realistic cases but outlandish character behaviours/designs. Like Ace Attorney, but a police procedural rather than courtroom drama.

I'm not sure if the concept would work well as a webcomic though? Maybe I ought to publish entire chapters at once rather than daily page updates, so readers can better keep track of the mystery?

He needs to learn that the women around him treat him like dirt and use him, but just because he's going through turmoil in his personal life he still has a responsibility to those he has to protect, as he's the only one who can protect them.

The MC starts shy and cowardly, and lets others tread right over him because it's the only way he knows to get others to accept him. With the heroine's guidance, he realizes this mentality is only hurting him, and that he has no real friends because people like him only as a punching bag. He starts to become more assertive, and more courageous to pursue the heroine, whom he has feelings for.

The Heroine starts off as seemingly confident and personable, but then it's revealed this was only a persona, and in her daily life she's a grumpy and stand-offish person. She's actually a genius, and wants people to acknowledge that, but most just find her condescending and obnoxious, and prefer to just ignore her. Being with the down-to-Earth MC makes her realize that her smarts aren't enough to get other people to like her, but she needs to treat them as equals as well.

You can publish entire chapters if you want but keep in mind you have to watch out how it will appear on your front page if you don't use "bookmark" widgets

Also pretty much anything works as a webcomic plot as long as you know how to write it, and I know I need more procedurals in my life. My local TNT Series channel became pretty much Detectives and Police series only and is not enough

>Are there any webcomics focused around detectives/mystery?

well the cult control webcomic that gets posted here is pretty much detective work, isn't it?

Other than that I only know about a furry comic that has a few detective/mystery chapters. I forgot the name though, something with utopia on it.

wait, do personifications die?

>Like Ace Attorney, but a police procedural rather than courtroom drama.
Are we talking like a Barney Miller kind of thing or more like Monk stuff? Either way as long as it's something as interesting as that, I'm down

Good point

Yeah I know the one. Dreaming of Utopia. Bit of an odd one as far as the genre goes though

I'm not American so I don't really get those references, from what I can see, Monk I guess? It would be set in the UK though if that makes it sound any more interesting (and because I'd rather stick to what I know than make a fool of myself writing about a country/culture I only know about from TV and films)

In my setting they do. Them dying is a sign that the universe's current cycle is coming to an end and must be "reset". This is a kind of top classified info so not many know about it.