In Sup Forums's opinion, was this a fair portrayal of a functional, gay couple in animation? If so, why?

In Sup Forums's opinion, was this a fair portrayal of a functional, gay couple in animation? If so, why?

Well they were fairly dysfunctional but they were actually human beings and not perfect god beings there to show us all what it means to be a certain sexuality. So, yes, in short.

Also, they were funny.

They were gay but were allowed to have flaws, like real human beings.

That's not allowed now because if you show fags, trannies and the rest of the mentally ill in anything that could even be remotely construed as a negative light, you will be fucking shitcanned and hunted to the edges of the earth like you personally oversaw the child-killing wing of Auschwitz.

I could describe the characters perfectly without ever needing to state that they're gay. Most "diverse" characters' descriptions are literally "They are gay."

Not to try to derail anything, but would that work when assessing Rayon from the movie Dallas Buyers Club? As a representation of a tranny that had several unhealthy habits, would it still be a fair portrayal since she was allowed to have flaws?

Also, their homosexuality being considered a bad thing is only touched upon in the Plan 9 parody episode, and even then it's not in a "boo hoo we had to escape prejudice everywhere!" way (even though it would be totally understandable given the time period they started dating), but in a more human "I made something shitty because I was blinded by love" way. Gus and Wally weren't the token gay couple, they were fleshed out humans whose sexuality was only one aspect of their characters as a whole. THAT is how a gay couple needs to be presented: as two humans, not as two props for a societal issue.

Really? Because you don't *seem* banned.

Whoever said anything about being banned, snowflake?

Yes. They find something beautiful in each other that they love that I can't see because I'm not gay. Just like in real life.

Because this isn't reddit dipshit

I thought (for the time it aired anyway) A pretty good portrayal. As people mentioned they are dysfunctional but this made them realistic. I felt like they also fit into the show, yes being gay is part of their character but not too in your face and had other issues and jokes.

YOU CHEAP GAY BASTARD!

>*seem*
stop that

>fags, trannies and the rest of the mentally ill
gays have no business being grouped in there.

it worked because them being gay was never the center of attention, nor did anybody make a big deal out of it.

The shtick was that they looked like weirdos despite being an actual functional couple with both their highs and lows.

Yes, same exact thread that's posted weekly, if not fucking daily with the same exact question, making me post the same exact fucking response every goddamn time.

I hate you, Sup Forums.

If we were dating, I'd break up with you in the most hurtful way possible because you're repetitive and boring as shit, like a senile old bitch with alzheimer's.

Yeah, they were written like actual characters. Them being gay was one element of who they were, and not only that, it was an *integral* part of their character

They where good characters first gay characters second

Faghags who fetishize gays always like to imagine them being handsome. Either as big buff daddies or as their slender dream twinks.

"Aesthetic gays" are just brainless poser bitches behaving like women with the brains of women, doing it all for attention. Real gays are average-looking men like any other random guy off the street, not a model. You'd never see tumblr making a gay character who's middle-aged, paunchy, pasty, balding and with a 5 o'clock shadow because that's not how they want gays to be "represented", they just want fake Hugo Boss ad gays to rub one out to.

By making them look like believable people and not some dumb cunts yaoi fanfiction, they made them seem believable and their love seem genuine. They weren't the most attractive guys, and yet they loved each other despite it and despite their mutual flaws.

prove it

what is Sup Forums's example of a gay character done wrong?
>inb4 Korra
something less easy

Most of marvels recent gay characters

They're pretty much the premier gay couple in media.

>Those fags, trannies and the rest of the mentally ill won't let me give constructive criticism

Uh, people usually take points better if you don't immediately jump on the assertion that they're broken as fuck, or if you don't throw slurs at them immediately.

Also, Godwin's law was triggered 3 replies in, congrats. It's like being on a BBC HYS article, only without the fucking EU mentioned every five seconds.

That being said, aside from Korra, I can't actually think of a gay relationship that's presented as some kind of perfect union against the hordes of bigotry.

>Gay couple in Modern Family were flawed
>Smithers and Patty are both husks who try to numb their pain with undying servitude and projected hate
>The cop duo in Gravity Falls are incompetent fuckups
>The gay characters in Watchmen merely had it as their side aspects, and not their defining trait

In fact, writers idealising gay people, throwing away their flaws or just plain fetishising them tends to be a symptom of bad writing, not the cause of it.

See Dumbing of Age. The writing dropped BEFORE characters were introduced as lesbians or re-established as bi or gay, but the writing wouldn't be that great either they were suddenly turned straight. I like the author, but he can't pace for shit, and he avoids meaningful conflict coming to resolution or climax like he's writing the next season of Heroes.