Bendis Vent Thread

Post all your complaints about Benis' stories. And keep it to his writing, don't bring his personal life into this

Who, Bendis?

Stop shoving black characters and their shitty personalities into everything where theyre not needed. Riri is a dumb ugly bitch and has no real character whatsoever

Yeah Bendis. The comic book writer.

Really? Bendis?

The comic book writer?

Brian Michael Bendis. The guy that writes for Marvel.

The comic book writer.

He writes comics?

Comics. He writes 'em.

But no seriously, he sucks. He dismisses every character that's not one of his five or so favorites or his flavor of the month OC. His dialogue patter and humor are so repetitive you can predict it down to the panel (I know a lot floating around the internet are edits but he really does overuse that "same panel dragged out" gag ad nauseam). He seems so dismissive of continuity or any character that isn't a well known "big deal" I honestly wonder if he even wants to write Marvel comics sometimes. And his attitude towards the fans who dare complain is ridiculously arrogant.

I seriously just wish he'd go fuck off to Hollywood with his buddies Jeph and Mark.

I mean, who will ever forget great characters like Goldballs and Daisy Johnson

His GOTG was actually full of great ideas totally squandered by his inability to take anything seriously. Take the Original Sin arc for instance. All he had to do was read Thanos Imperative, find a way out for the survivors, and explain that Peter's new carefree behavior is a coping mechanism for the guilt he feels about Rich not making it out. Respect continuity and provide an in-character explanation for the synergy elements added to Quill's character, simple enough and probably would have satisfied a lot of people. And instead, he totally fucked it.

And that's not even touching on wasting the Badoon, the Spartoi, Angela, the Symbiotes, and the Kree.

Hickman made Quake great. The Synergy ruined her.

I thought Hollywood already rejected him.

I know right. I loved how Iron Man was in Guardians of The Galaxy too.

Guys, guys, Miles's dad has a secret. He was a SHIELD agent!
Guys, guys, Kieron Gillen gave an opportunity to give Tony new parents. This can potentially lead to some interestign developments! And guess what? His mom was a SHIELD agent!
Hey, guys, do you know what new interesting direction I thought up for Ben Grimm? Working as a SHIELD agent!
Guys, guys, you know who would fun to insert into every single story? Maria Hill, a SHIELD Director! With special appearances by Dum Dum Dugan, a SHIELD agent!
Guys, isn't SHIELD cool and exciting and should be shoved everywhere?

Fuck what he did to the symbiotes. At least Venom is bad again.

>At least Venom is bad again.
At what cost? Teaming up with fucking Moongirl?

Alright lads, what is Bendis' "One More Day"? His most offensively stupid idea?

The way he ended 1610.

Probably not to most people, but to me the worst moment, the thing he did that made me realize how little respect he has for the Marvel universe, was when he killed Alpha Flight--like literally all the classic members sans Northstar--off-panel to build up some stupid OC who was in like one miniseries and never heard from again.

Resurrecting Ultimate Pete, thereby completely diminishing one of his better works.
And not only that, but he revealed that UltPete is immortal and has always been that way, so he also retroactively deflated every single story of UltSpidey

What OC?

Still better than making him Green Lantern Lite.

Which wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't for his reasoning. "Herp derp, no one remembers Venom was ever bad, let's retcon the whole species instead of, ya know, writing him as a villain again!"

That and al of his creator owned books failed except for Powers I guess but good writers like Ed Brubaker can now live exclusively on their self published books while Bendis is still stuck at marvel writing the same shit maybe that's why he doesn't try anymore

Michael Sphincter or something like that. He joined Omega Flight and Dark X-Men afterwards.

That's the thing he didn't make it in Hollywood and he certainly can't make it anywhere outside of Marvel Entertainment, and he's an Ike guy and Gunn wasn't happy with how the "Creative" Comittee messed with his Thanos scene so he is probably kept at arms length in Marvel Studios, and most likely won't ge tmore than a few "Thank you for making this character/inspiring us" stuff in the credits but he won't work with them.

Hell Geoff Johns has more of a chance of working for Marvel Studios than Bendis seeing how Feige actually likes him and they both know each other from working with Donner.

And say what you want about Johns but if DC/WB were to kick him out Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment would hire him in a heartbeat, can't say the same for Bendis especially since Quesada alienated a lot of DC higher ups and Bendis hasn't said nice things about DC.

I don't remember the name but it was some random mailman who absorbed the energy of all the mutants who were depowered on M-Day (yeah, no, don't think about it too hard) and became an out-of-control force of destruction that wiped out Alpha Flight without breaking a sweat and ended up recruited into the Dark X-Men (formed by Norman Osborn because... reasons?) it's been almost a decade I barely remember anymore just cling to the bitterness

Disassemble. An idea that sounds good on paper but he handled terribly, killing off characters for shock value and nothing else and the way he victimized Wanda, man. Not to mention his "there is no chaos magic" bullshit.

What a cock.

Poor Jack of Hearts...

They brought him back though.

Everyone came back, Scott, Vision, Clint. That's not the point.

He keeps getting away with it.

Torso's been in development hell for years, but Paul Greengrass is now going to adapt it as an Eliot Ness movie
Fuck him for killing White Tiger in the most hamfisted way possible just to replace him with an OC

What is the point?

Brian Michael Penis.

Miles morales.

It's been way more than a decade since I read Disassembled, I just remember the way he gets killed is incredibly demeaning like "lol no one even remembers who this chump is." Really it's like, no I didn't know who he was back then either but every character has at least a few fans, sheesh.

I'd say Civil War II (and how he tried to set up Riri as Tony's replacement) on the basis of how botched it was and how it compared badly to Millar's Civil War (which was bad yet still nowhere near as bad as CW2). It had a lot of Bendis' worst aspects.

I hope you're not an Armadillo fan.

>All his mary sue oc's are exactly the same
>they all follow the same arc of aspiring, being told they can't, killing some op badass, being acknowledged as the best ever and better than the original
>all his characters are in everything and are supposed to be the most important but aren't, like Miles in cw2
>he killed Agent Venom
>he has a need to "improve" works that aren't his own by ruining them irreparably
>arrogant
>untalanted
>makes more money and has far more influence than he should
>is only popular because he aped an entire body of work and condensed it for a new age in an incredibly mediocre fashion (ultimate spiderman and co)

He's basically a talentless hack that got incredibly lucky and has no respect for anyone or anything he makes using older works or works other than his own, then he thinks he can do it all better.

They should not have been killed them in the first place. As a plot device, comic book deaths are lazy. It's the equivalent of a jump scare in a horror movie. And eventually bringing these dead characters back just cheapens the gravity of the story in which they died. It's just a revolving door of life and death and it needs to stop.

Not even top 10. Miles' actually fun. Ultimate Green Goblin being an actual Green Goblin actually pissed me off more.

>Stop retconning shit, just because you want to leave a mark on it (Beyonder,Ultimate End)
>Stop bringing up multicultural characters, just for being "diverse"
>Stop
>fucking
>writing
>Punisher
>Don`t let him appear in your comics, don´t write about his personality and for gods sake, don´t to a Punisher-run

I think the biggest sin about Bendis as a creator is the interesting ideas he comes up with, only to execute them is such a fucking shitty fashion.

>Disassembled
>Miles Morales
>Dark Reign
>Secret Invasion
>Iron Doom
>the rightclops revolution

There's a shit ton of others, but Bendis has always come up with fantastically intriguing ideas which in the hands if a more competent writer would make for something memorable.the fact he throws continuty (including his own) out the window for the sake of convinence for his idea makes him uncreative because he can't work within the box if restraint, the unlimited access marvel grants him. This makes gor a terrible writer because if you give a writer unlimited access and bo restraint, they can't be forced to think creatively in the way many writers have to usually in the situation of limitations.

Miles Morales is the biggesr sin of his because that charachter works in the idea that he is succeeding a deceased peter parker. Having him and peter around at the same time makes Miles unimportant and lately his book gives him no personality. Even giving Miles dad the former SHIELD agent trwatment is shitry and uncreative because Peter already has that back story, rendering Miles an uncreative plagerist OC.
>inb4 Bendis' wife's kids
OP said not to drag his personal life into it

>Miles' actually fun.
That's a meme and I'll tell you why by asking you a question.

What is Miles' personality like?

Everyone died like a chump in Disassembled.

I hate him for a number of reasons, but you really have to give him shit for pushing his terrible characters. Miles went from inoffensive to downright annoying to look at just from the amount of exposure/dicksucking he gets

When in costume? He's pretty much Peter Parker. Out of costume he's boring, i'll give you that.

So out of costuem, he has no character, and in costume he's basically a nearly literal carbon copy of spiderman.

Even that's a stretch, he tries to joke or make fun of villains as notspider-man, but even that doesn't work great.

>What is Miles' personality like?

In kids cartoons and other crossovers, he usually serious/awkward.

>serious/awkward
Totally fun, huh?

Sure. He's fun as a spider-man can be. He's still not a great character but compared to the other shit Bendis has done? He's a fantastic character.

Yeah I'm re-reading it now and I had totally forgotten it starts with Jack, literally a rotting zombie, staggering onto their lawn and Scott Lang just walking right up to him like "uhhh hey you okay, buddy?" lol (admittedly this could be Hitch's fault more than Bendis's)

No one fucking acknowledged space knight when they could, even venom space knight tried to get him out of space because Bendis is a cunt. We lost Anti-Venom, and Eddie Brock characterization just to "get Venom back". Eddie fucking refers to the symbiote as "my love" for fucks sake, while the symbiote keeps doing character 180's every other issue.

Bendis's only good point is that he's some how not as shitty of a writer than Mike Costa.

>admittedly this could be Hitch's fault

You mean Finch, Hitch drew Age of Ultron

He ruined Sentry and any potential he had by turning the character into a shitty punchline before having him thrown into the sun.

For that reason alone I will never buy another Bendis comic.

>Age of Ultron
Oh god i'd forgotten about that

Comparing two terrible things to one another doesnt magically make the less terrible of the two good user. We all know why Miles' exists. He was an elseworlds character that got pushed for the sake of virtue signaling and so Bendis could get a paycheck each time he appears. Practically every single person who claims to be a fan of Miles is spouting bullshit

>fantastic character
>has no character
This doesn't make any sense. It's not even likes 90's cheese where it's all over the top and goofy, it's like some weird parody comic you'd see in a movie with no substance. I mean, i guess it's more fun than getting holes drilled in your teeth?

>Totally fun, huh?
He usually get push over into doing stuff unlike peter parker. I think he is more stupider than him, because he can't think up of plans and usually get his ass kick by criminals with a brain.

>I mean, i guess it's more fun than getting holes drilled in your teeth?
Exactly my point.

>Practically every single person who claims to be a fan of Miles is spouting bullshit
Who there I'm not a fan. All I'm saying is that between all the shit Bendis has come up with, Miles is probably the least offensive.

What you've described is Sam Nova, who is leagues better than Miles. He's also not equipped with a win button, so he gets his shit pushed in and has conflict. Miles never has any conflict, neither do any of his shitty ocs.

>>admittedly this could be Hitch's fault
>You mean Finch, Hitch drew Age of Ultron
Durr, yes. In my defense they had virtually the same style back then.

he caused a lot of harm to the X-Men franchise
-He ruined Phoenix Lore in Avengers vs X-Men, it was never necessary to practice Kung Fu with Iron Fist to be a good Phoenix Host.
-By bringing the O5 from the past, he eliminated the possibility of a new X-Men book featuring the newer generation of mutants, like Hellion, Rockslide, Elixir, Quentin etc.
-Having Teen Cyclops in the present allowed Marvel to kill Old Cyclops.
-Broke up Cyclops and Emma Frost.
-Made Iceman gay

Bendis is the end of everything good that begun with Morrison.

COMICS!

Jack of Hearts was already dead, to be fair. It was Scott Lang he really treated like shit. Lang's death was such a throwaway that it was included in the free preview pages for the issue.

Lang was Geoff Johns' pet character (he'd never been an Avenger before Johns' run) and he ended his run with Jack of Hearts dying to save Lang's daughter. Also Bendis wanted to kill Lang in "Alias" and was told no because Johns was using him.

So it really seems like an act of spite against Johns, just like the treatment of Wanda and Vision was a middle finger to old-school Avengers fans and fans of the Busiek run in particular.

You're playing devils advocate and saying something is fun because it's not physical torture. Fucking America Chavez is better by being so terrible it's funny, Miles is bland conflictless garbage that's not even mildly entertaining. There's a myriad of other books better than him out there, on a few of them are spider-man titles.

not much fo the gay thing, but for how it was handled.

>What you've described is Sam Nova, who is leagues better than Miles. He's also not equipped with a win button, so he gets his shit pushed in and has conflict. Miles never has any conflict, neither do any of his shitty ocs.

Fine, whatever. It is like talking to a wall.

>You're playing devils advocate
No i'm not you spaz. I simply meant to say that Miles is the least of Bendis' troubles. That he's fun when compared to Age of Ultron or Avengers Disassembled or whatever fuck.

He's off X-Men, he's off Guardians. I'm not an Iceman fan. I don't care about him anymore.

And that list doesn't even include all the BS with his Jewfu.

>Iron Man
>Captain Marvel
>Agent Venom
>Kitty
>Thing
He really went all-out with GotG

Wait, that was him?

The worst part about this is that there's so many ways that you could out Iceman better than what Bendis ended up writing.

In the first place, having Jean (who was shown to be able to influence minds) practically tell Bobby "You're gay" and "you're definitely not bi" was the stupidest move to make. Did no one defending this comic notice what a terrible idea this was? Everywhere else that wasn't infested with clickbait journalists, I see people who would be okay with gay Iceman yet think this was terrible.

On the plus side, it made me re-read Abnett and Laning's run to wash off the bad taste in my mouth.

>Not to mention his "there is no chaos magic" bullshit.

The thing about that is it shows Bendis's sheer brazen laziness. The previous Avengers run had retconned in that Scarlet Witch's mutant power was to control "chaos magic." It was something he could either accept or retcon out, either would be fine. Most writers seem to think"chaos magic" was dumb anyway.

But Strange shows up in Disassembled and says "there is no such thing as chaos magic" and then *in the very same speech* says her mutant power is to control magic. It's clear Bendis hasn't read the previous stories closely and isn't sure what he's changing here. He cycles through about 3 definitions of her powers in the same speech.

Then about a year later he has the same character, Strange, describe her power as chaos magic.

And of course Bendis actually prides himself on getting stuff like this wrong or confused, because it shows he's not a lame continuity-obsessed fanboy. He likes superheroes but he has real contempt for superhero comic writing culture, and I can't get over how much better of a writer he seems to think he is than most of the people (except Frank Miller) who came before him, when he's just not.

he singlehandedly made repetition of dialogue hated so if any other writer uses it, then they are a hack like him now

>It's clear Bendis hasn't read the previous stories
This encapsulates my issues with Bendis. He either doesn't read the books leading to his tenure or he completely disregard whatever came before him because he's too good for that. He's a fucking imbecile.

To me that's less of a problem compared to how he seems to forget what happened in his own comics (ie Ultimate Spider-Man learns Matt Murdock is Daredevil, then somehow doesn't remember this in the Ultimatum tie-in).

Worst of it was when he forgot what happened only pages ago in Civil War II #1. Tony is upset because he warned Carol! But he didn't warn her about getting a hero killed in battle, he warned her about Ulysses seeing a hero as a threat!

The only complaints I have are his laziness and and his status inside Marvel. 15 years ago, he was one of my favorite writers. USM got me into Spider-Man as a character and his run on Daredevil was awesome. The Bendis of 15 years ago no longer exists. The Bendis that wrote with craft and thought has been replaced by someone riding his coattails.

I was originally going to say retconning Thanos Imperative, but then I remembered Age of Ultron was a thing.

>but then I remembered Age of Ultron was a thing.
How could you forget

This is exactly my feelings about his GotG. It's so infuriating to feel like you can create a much better and respectful story with all of his ideas in one afternoon. Like, all of his arcs had potential. Even stuff like Venom becoming good, married Quill and Kitty or Guardians of Knowhere could go a lot of interesting places in the hands of a competent writer. I'm not even talking about DnA or Giffen. Put Duggan, Zdarsky, unrestrained Abnett. All writers of post movie Guardians that did at least a decent job. Bendis destroyed at least 10 years worth of stories in 46 issues for being a lazy writer. It's sad at the end of the day.

Wasn't that the same year Strange looked like a hipster and was using "Catastrophe Magic"? I remember it as being quite jarring when he said "there is no such thing as chaos magic" while he was using magic that basically did the same thing by description an unrelated issue ago.

I have no idea, but the use of Strange in Disassembled is so bad that Tom Brevoort, who rarely badmouths his own writers in public, said he thought the ending was unsatisfying because the Avengers have nothing to do with it: Doctor Strange shows up, explains everything, ends the threat himself, and then Magneto shows up to take Wanda away.

And remember, this is what Bendis does *after* Brevoort (who actually has read the comics) has given him notes.

I try to avoid this guy like the plague, but I took a look at the new Spider-Men recently, mostly for the Sara Pichelli art and I made the mistake of trying to actually read. My God, this guy is getting worse. When I got to the point where that girl in the vlog that Miles and his boyfriend keep checking, for some reason, and she made a huge deal about Spider-Man being black, I had to stop.

Cringiest of cringiest. I just looked at the art from then on.

I want to like Miles but stop with the fucking Venom Blast spam. It kills the whole tension.

fuck what a mong

IIRC Magneto only showed up in Disassembled because Loeb asked Bendis how Magneto would react to what's happened to Wanda and Bendis admitted he didn't even think of that.

Unfortunately that led to years of stories both in 616 and Ultimates (thanks to Loeb) where "she's Magneto's daughter" was one of the only two things anybody remembered about the Scarlet Witch.

Kind of funny now that they deny she ever was related to him.

I'm up to pt 3 of Disassembled right now and during the part where they finally confront Wanda, there's a page where she has each of the Avengers facing their ultimate enemy---Cap is fighting an illusory Red Skull, Banner the Hulk, Carol Rogue, Spiderman at least two other versions of himself (?) and then Beast is fighting... Wolverine? I guess Finch just really wanted to draw him IDK

>Spiderman at least two other versions of himself (?)

It's a reference to the Clone Saga.

He's quite possibly the laziest writer I've ever seen. His writing of dialogue is repetitive because of his laziness. He isn't willing to follow any continuity or even his own fucking continuity. And he'll keep doing it, because he cannot take criticism, he probably has his own template for how he writes things and probably just does it for the paycheck. But with that said, I still enjoy his Daredevil.

I think the main problem of Bendis is that he's obsessed with shaking the Status Quo. Some would say he's the perfect embodiment of what's wrong with Marvel. Namely change for the sake of change. That's the seal of Bendis. He's a master of the art of pitching stories. When he describes how every time he pitch an idea, everyone in the room stays jaw dropped, I believe him, because he has guts to think outside the box. I know some ass would come now and tell me that changing status quo is not something special. I'd say that's not completely true. Even here on Sup Forums you can see hundreds of threads of people complaining why something is not like it was before. This is because the mentality inside comics has always been the one Stan Lee preached; "The Illusion of Change" we don't want anything to change permanently. Bendis isn't ruled by that, at least not completely. He doesn't let anything rule his writing. Absolutely nothing. And while that's great when it comes to take bold chances, it also will eventually alienate that big part of the industry I mentioned before. Including fans. Of course none of this would matter if the changes would be introduced in a way so good everyone would accept it in the end if just to honor the story that was so good. But Just like your regular amateur writer, Bendis nevr bothers with the story, just the change is what matters. Which is why his stories are more remembered by what he changed than what happened. It's why his characters are so bland and empty. It's why his stories have no content. Of course, this wasn't always the case as he used to master the art of carácter developing through dialogue. Which is why his early work is beyond awesome. Nowadays however, it's amazing how Little he cares.

This of course doesn't mean he can't produce gems every once in a while (UXM18, GotGV216 among some more), but in general his work never lives up to the hype of his pitches, which leaves everyone even more enraged.