Marvel Movies and Television

This thread is for Sup Forumsmrades to discuss the Marvel Cinematic Universe in all its various forms as well as other Marvel media as long as its live action or cartoons. Nothing is really off the table so live action movies, Netflix TV shows, Cable TV shows, Cartoons, and Cartoon Movies are all fair game. POst what you liked, didn't like, were indifferent towards, and what you would change.

Favorite MCU Movie:
>Currently its Guardians of the Galaxy. I realize that's a pleb choice but something about it clicked with me. And it had a villain that I had never seen before. Also Kurt Russell.

Favorite X-Men Movie:
>X2 without a doubt. The opening alone with Nightcrawler storming the white house will forever stick in my mind.

Favorite SPider-Man Movie:
>Spider-Man 2 followed immediately by Spider-Man 1. The plot in 2 was fantastic but Iliked Dafoe as the villain way better but not discreding Molina.

Favorite Hulk Movie:
>Hulk by Ang Lee. I thought it was boring as fuck as a kid and now I realize it is so much more.

Favorite Fantastic Four Movie
>Fantastic Four (2005). I thought it was really campy upon first watching and now I love they went for the comic tone rather than the most recent affair.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d6xU-jmekpM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>literally everything but the comics
>on the comics board

At least summer ends soon

He's banking on this thread lasting longer on Sup Forums then on Sup Forums

Everyone knows Sup Forums doesn't read comics.

Favorite Punisher Movie:
>Punisher Warzone by Lexie Alexander is fucking god tier. That said, the prior Punisher movies with Thomas Jane and Dolph Lundren are enjoyable.

Favorite Netflix Show
>Daredevil Season 1 without question. I would have never in a million years thought we would get a Daredevil show and I'm glad to be mistaken.

Favorite Cable TV (Live Action):
>Legion was one of the best surprised this year bar none. While it takes a while to get going it is a breathtakingly beautiful show with a solid plot (even if its not a perfect representation of Shadow King).

Favorite Cartoon:
>Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. While I enjoy Spectacular SPider-Man the fact it was canned after season 2 left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt that while rushed, EMH manages to stick the landing with an ending.

Favorite Animated MOvie
>The Invincible Iron Man. This is a hard decision as I have not seen all of the Marvel Animated movies and it has been a long while since I saw any.

Favorite Guilty Pleasure
>Avengers: Age of Ultron. I'm not a fan of Ultron's overall design but Spader kills it in his performance. It's also neat to see how much Whedon improved as a director from the prior one to this. Wouldn't have guessed it was the same guy unless told otherwise.

Biggest Surprise
>Doctor Strange. I know this movie left a lot to be desired but I thought it was well structured and with a unique ending I wouldn't have expected from the MCU. Many call this movie just a copy of Iron Man 1 with mysticism instead of technology and I can understan their views. All that said, I normally hate movies that incorporate mysticism and magic in the plot so I was prepared to go in hating this movie with a burning passion and my expectations were completely subverted. Also teh music was pretty swanky.

Worst Movie in Your Opinion
>F4. THe most recent movie by Trank. This movie blows my mind because it clocks in at 100 minutes and never before have I felt so unfilfilled in a movie in my life. When they reached the ending I was shocked because I felt it needed an extra 30 minutes plot/characterization.

Favorite Villain
>This is a tossup between two choices. William Dafoe as Norman Osborn or Michael Keaton as The Vulture. Dafoe's voice and mannerisms manage to convey a wealth of emotion even when hiding behind a mask and Keaton's Vulture had the most realistic motivations out of any villain I had seen thus far and his design was ace. He felt like an actual threat and he wasn't just a revamped version of Falcon.

Least Favorite Villain
>Aldritch Killian

Biggest Missed Opportunity
>Spider-Man Homecoming. This could have been the movie to lay the foundation for future SPidey titles, and while I'm not going to say its the worst movie of all time, I feel that his entire supporting cast was a missed opportunity and not showing the Daily Bugle or even his origin in a two-three minute video is a disservice to the character. Even The Incredible Hulk movie had the decency to include an origin story in the opening credits.

I think Iron Fist killed my interest in the Netflix shows. They've been on a steady decline since DD season 1, but Iron Fist might have done it. I just don't have the patience for 13 hour shows where at most, 30 minutes is genuinely entertaining.

That said, I do kind of like the idea of the MCU TV characters coming over to the Movies.

I have such an on and off relationship with MCU. Sometimes I can't contain my smugness in declaring this cinematic assembly life boring and stale but they are competent and are incredibly diverse (and I don't mean this "diversity" of course). This is its main strength. Taken separately not a single movie would be in my top 40 but together it's an incredibly interesting experiment. Like a cinematic tv show.

Favorite movie is GotG for being different enough. It has the spark. Although I mostly wait for the Punisher now. Right now the two movie confirmed for phase 4 are GotG vol. 3 and Homecoming 2 which seems fine. The new about the retcon is kind of intriguing as well.

I feel like The Defenders is going to be a significant step up from the past couple shows because it's only 8 episodes rather than 13 so we're not going to get that end of season slog that's plagued many Netflix titles. ALso, who do you think is most at fault for the Iron Fist series we got? The writers? The Actors? The choreographers? The lack of dragon.

And this question goes to anyone out there, is Season 4 of Agents of SHIELD worth watching? I've enjoyed the past couple seasons but I don't think they ever elevated above "good".

Marvel TV is overall shit

I stopped watching it after the pilot. I believe it's good now but I don't know what can be so special about it that I should watch it before all those other shows I have on my bucket list. There's also the controversy that it may not be canon with the movies or netflix shows.

I always see it as, they're canon when they need to be. I don't see how you can have Fury appear at the season finale of season 1 as well as incorporate the hydra defection and it not be canon.

Just rewatched Daredevil. The Director's cut instead of the theatrical cut and I gotta say, it was a significant improvement in every way I can think of. They even took out the sex scene where Matt and ELecktra fuck and instead had Daredevil ditch to go beat someone's face in. The plot was also fleshed out and a few more character moments were sprinkled in. Truly, a director's cut worth watching.

get this general thread shit out of here. The last fucking thing this board needs is a MCU general

I remember people saying when it came out that Iron Fist gets better after the first 4 episodes and to not trust reviews because of that. They were lying. Ward's character arc and the hot ass Asian chick where the only things of worth during all 13 hours of it. It kinda confusing how much better the writing for Ward is then the rest of the show. Was that part written by someone else?

I'm disappointed I wasted the time watching it, and it removes any motivation to watch Luke Cage or Jessica Jones that I might have had. Although I still have no idea what Jessica Jones is supposed to be about. The only thing I've ever heard about it are variations of "Fuck that feminist trash" and "If you don't like this show you're sexist."

S4 of AoS was amazing. It split the 22-episode season into 3 "pods": Ghost Rider (8 episodes), LMD (8 episodes), and Agents of Hydra/Framework (basically a "Matrix;" 7 episodes). This allowed for tighter storytelling and less filler--and it was so cohesive. It's very difficult for me to find a single episode that season that was below an 8 or 9/10.

I totally forgot that Ghost Rider was in it. I remember being disappointed that it's not Blaze and not on bike but now I've read that the original does make a short appearance.

This isn't a MCU general. Read the entire description before posting your displeasure for this thread. It's all Marvel media from cartoons and live action and everything inbetween. As long as its Marvel Media it's good.

It's been a couple years (5+) since I rewatched the first Ghost Rider movie starring Nicolas Cage. I remember enjoying Spirit of Vengeance just for the the insanity of Nic Cage but remember fuck all about the first movie other than it starred Eva Mendes in her prime. Favorite scene from Ghost Rider movies.
youtube.com/watch?v=d6xU-jmekpM

Dude, that is fucking sweet. I was worried that Agents of SHIELd was running out of steam after the Hive Arc but I'm glad to see that isn't the case.
I know this may be spoilery but is Ward in this season in some capacity or is he done? for?

One thing I enjoyed about the MCU was the evolution of its characters and also, the evolution of businesses and corporations. At the beginning of the MCU Hammer Industries was a joke and their supposed best creation "The Ex-Wife" was an innefective dud that didn't even go off when necessary. Interestingly, over the period of a years worths of movies and a couple TV shows, Hammer Industries actually created a product that was a legit success. SUre, it didn't look the greatest, but this supersuit allowed the wearer to shrug off bullets and physical trauma like it was nothing as well as enhancing the users strength a significnat margin.

Man I keep thinking I want to get into AoS but then I watch an episode and it's like... it still feels like it's just Arrow quality

Marvel shouldn't make any movies for a while set after Avengers 4.

Carol Danvers should have a series of movies involving space adventures with one or more Ravager groups in the 90s and set up possible movies to happen after Avengers 4. When she appears in Avengers 4, she should appear like she is much older than Brie actually is. Then later after Brie has aged to look similar or older to how she does in Avengers 3/4 she can come back for movies that take place after Avengers 3/4.

Marvel should also make other prequels for Ant-Man and Dr. Strange.

After doing those prequels, Marvel can then make movies that take place after Avengers 3/4 and would therefore be set a few years before the real world date of which they come out.

AOS isn't the greatest show on earth, but it is far from Arrow quality. Everyone and there mother swore that Season 5 was a return to form and I found it be only slightly, and I mean very slightly, a step up from Season 4.

People may not enjoy the MCU movies or the majority of the Netflix shows, but Season 2 Pt. A (the punisher season) was one of the strongest series I've seen in a TV show.

Thing is, Defenders already confirmed that they don't team up til episode 3. It sounds like another snooze fest. And I'm so tired of these shows all looking exactly the same.

The problem with comic book shows in general is that they always have to follow the hero, villain, conflict, resolution plot. It's just how the cape medium works. So when they need fucking 13 hours of it, they just pad it out.

The only reason DD Season 1 worked was because it was many villains. The Russians, Nobu, Gao, Owsley and Kingpin gave you a sense that Daredevil was moving up through the ranks to get to Wilson. That worked. But every other show just fails because it's a waiting game til one person actually makes a move.

I already miss Kingpin.
Street-level heroes should remain street-level.
Hopefully The Punisher will be all dirty, stuffy and unpleasant. Frank deserves that.

Considering how dark the Netflix series were and his iteration in Daredevil, I feel really really good that he will be done justice.

This seems like a good place to ask this: was anyone else really unimpressed by Doctor Strange?

I normally quite like the MCU movies, but DS just felt off to me. Strange himself was a really unlikable asshole, he constantly acted like a jerk and broke tons of rules, but the movie seems like it wants me to like him. It was weird that after so many likable protagonists, DS made me basically hate the person I was supposed to be rooting for.

The biggest problem though (for me at least) was how it felt... rushed or something. It's like there was no second act to the movie, we just jump from Strange learning to be a sorcerer to being the best sorcerer to ever sorcerer. It's like I fell asleep for twenty minutes and suddenly he's magicing all over the place.

I'll concede it was a very pretty movie and it was nice to have villain motivations beyond "I want to destroy the hero/the world," but beyond that it just left me unsatisfied.

What did everyone else think?

The casting is great (as usual), the trippy scenes are spot on, I like the locations. It's a typical lukewarm/good MCU movie like we're still in Phase 1. Nothing changed.
Certainly didn't wear me out like Civil War did.

>Street-level heroes should remain street-level.
Street level is so limited, it gets dull.
Here are the scenarios:
>>Breaks up drug den/sex den/weapons den
>>Big guy is put in position where he is good standing with city.
>>Assassins try to kill Protagonist, dead supporting characters.
That's pretty much it. NYC at night gets so fucking boring.

I enjoyed Doctor Strange but that is coming from someone with very very limited Doctor Strange knowledge. Strange definitley wasn't perfect but he noticbly went through a character arc and ended the movie as a better man than he started. ANd I wouldn't say he became the best sorcerer. He constantly got his ass kicked by everyone and only won his engagements through luck and circumstance (like getting the Cloak of Levitation and conviently finding those mystical restraints) rather than outperforming his enemies. Even Kaicilluses goons were more experienced than him and again, the only reason he won was because he better used his environment against them (kicking/throwing them through teleportation doors). Also he had an infinitey stone on his person so that explains where his best skills originiate. His ultimate confrontation with Dormammu was more clever than than powerful. Strange had literally zero chance of stopping Dormammu through skill and the best he could hope for was trapping him in an endless loop where he gets mutilated in the worst ways imaginable. Also Strange is an exceptionally talented man with a huge ego and it's likely he'd get smart with any of his teachers, medical and mystical alike.

Anybody remember this beauty of a show? I do but I have zero idea how it holds up now.

Crap. Forgot the image.

>Nothing is really off the table

In that case, I've seen the pilots for Cloak & Dagger and Runaways.

Both were good. Enjoyed Cloak & Dagger more then Runaways.

They don't contain any wider MCU references in the pilot (but I assume they'll start referencing things later on).

Theirs a possible link between the 2 pilots, but I think it's just me seeing references where their aren't meant to be any.

On a scale of 1-10 with 5 being truly middle of the road, how would you rate Runaways? Also how faithful is it to the comic its based on? How are the characters portrayals?

6.5/10

It adapts the first issue and part of the second. It ends right after they witness their parents performing the sacrifice. Then Molly fucks it up by taking a picture on her phone with the flash on.

It hits the same basic plot points but with additions, and the characters feel more modernized...in a sense. Not always in a good way.

Their was another child as part of their friendship group but she died 2 years ago (probably the last sacrifice). That caused the kids to stop talking to each other. Alex didn't attend her funeral.

When it comes time to reunite the Pride, Alex is extremely pushy to get all the kids to return. For various reasons they end up at Alex's the night the Pride are doing their sacrifice and Alex 'accidentally' opens the secret door.

Molly is Gert's sister. They don't say how but I assume she's adopted. Molly gets her period for the first time early in the pilot. She also has this dance sequence for cheer practice.

Niko went Goth after the other child died 2 years while Karolina found religion (she got more involved in her parents Church).

Chase is just there for shirtless weightlifting scenes and some weird scenes from Gerts point of view where she stares at his ass.

>Molly gets her period for the first time early in the pilot

wasn't that just a misdirection in the comics to hide the fact she was a mutant

It uh, it doesn't hold up. At all.

Ultron's voice is pretty cool though.