The critics are right about this

The critics are right about this.

Pa Kent ruins Man of Steel. Well, actually, a lot of things ruin Man of Steel, but if they had just gotten Pa Kent right the whole movie would have worked. But they didn't.

We don't even get a sense of why the Kents adopted Clark. The film just assumes you know the story from watching other Superman shit. It's so lazy. And that's before you get to the twisted ethics.

not even close, man of steel has issues but they're understandable in context, return of superman is god fucking awful and made superman a rapist and deadbeat dad

Why is this man critically hated? His greatest crime was to put effort into elevating capeshit movies by crafting them with some thematic depth and stylistic filmmaking.

But that space shuttle rescue scene. Legitimately more exciting and heroic than anything in Man of Steel.

>man of steel has issues but they're understandable in context

Completely disagree.

>return of superman is god fucking awful and made superman a rapist and deadbeat dad

Give me accidental deadbeat dad over murdering malcontent any day.

He only makes terrible films, that's why. He's the worst filmmaker working at his level.

This x1000

>thematic depth

ok but nothing makes sense in that movie, he gets decked by Luthor on Krypton island and then somehow has the power to throw it into the sun. So one good scene in the beginning is ruined by absolutely everything else in the movie.

>accidental

it was 100% intentional, and all of his actions are explained in man of steel, they aren't good, I'm not arguing the movie is good it's awful I'm saying it's understandable unlike Returns.

>elevating capeshit

How can you say this when he makes infantile trash? Glorified video game cutscenes with scripts that are pretentious drivel, crammed with edgy ultraviolence? He's a fucking mistake.

>elevating capeshit

The Dark Knight and Logan are truly mature superhero films, insofar as that's desirable.

Even if he tries, he sucks at action movies.

>nothing makes sense in that movie
>muh power levels

Get out.

>it was 100% intentional

It wasn't? He didn't know Lois was pregnant when he left, and she'd found an amazing stepdad.

>all of his actions are explained

I would rather you explain to me why Clark can't be a dad than why he has to snap necks and kill his own father through inaction.

>muh power levels

you're clearly an idiot

>He didn't know Lois was pregnant when he left

who fucking cares? he fucked her, erased her memory of him fucking her and then went out for smokes and came back after 11 years, that's called rape you genetic malformation.

>rape
that's a stretch

Superman returns was an inexcusable snorefest

He's great at visuals but he's terrible with actors and stories. He's like an edgier George Lucas.

Left to his own devices you get good-looking junk like Sucker Punch. He can be okay if there's a strong storyline provided by someone else (Watchmen, 300), but there's still the problem of him being no good at getting good performances from actors.

Snyder only makes nice-looking shots that work as your favorite wallpaper but butchers the narrative. I feel so sorry for Henry Cavill.

Returns feels like it tried to tie itself with Burton's Batman, but in the end, it doesn't makes much sense, still better than MoS.

It's at least mind rape.
Whether the sexual connections also make it "real" rape is hard to say, since the context is purely fictional and hard to discuss.
In a usual date rape scenario you get the whammy beforehand, here she got it afterward, and didn't know how she got pregnant.
She doesn't remember the sex, therefore she doesn't remember whether she consented, it would be a similar case to someone waking up after getting some knockout drugs and actually being raped for her.

I'll take Superman brooding over not knowing who he is or where he came from rather than him creepily stalking Lois and brooding that she had a life without him. He was the one who fucked off for five years without telling her what he was up to.

And i'll take Smiling Superman over Constipated Superman any day. Only Hack Snyder could turn the most inspiring and hopeful superhero of DC and turn him into a depressed murdering asshole.

>They can be a great people Kal-El if they wish to be. They only lack the wrist strength to snap away.

agreed, I enjoyed Returns much more. It has a shitty middle act though. Great first and 3rd act though

>Burton's Batman

Uh?

Returns was an awkward homage to a beloved era that still had good and entertaining performances from actors like Spacey and enough heroic action pieces to resonate with the average public

Man of Steel was a weird attempt to try something different for the character that offered morals too ambiguous and muddled to gather the public's sympathy and action considered tone deaf for how much it overglorifies the destruction with no regards for context

The God Jor-El hologram in both films can go deactivate itself.

Real Jor-El didn't give a fuck about Earth, he just wanted his kid to live. Clark learned to be Superman because of the Kents not because a hologram said he was destined to.

Superman Returns might just be the worst blockbuster movie Ive ever seen. A 2 hour jerkoff session of the Donner movies with inferior talent from the leads to the director. And it commits the ultimate sin of being boring all the way through. Man of Steelay suck but at least it can stand on its own.

> Jesus symbolism makes anything kino
You must be 18+ to post on Sup Forums

>it can stand on its own.

Let's be real here, Superman Returns is pretty heavy handed with the Jesus symbolism too.

>Reusing "I have sent them you, my only son"
>Return is a 'second coming'
>Gets beaten up by Lex and his men as a passion
>Falls to earth in a crucified position
>Empty hospital bed/empty tomb

THIS

You don't know what rape means, that's sjw lvl of bending words

I'm still not sure how much Snyder was at fault, and how much Goyer with the script.

>sjw

Blah, blah I don't like to think about this.

Hiring someone who looks up to Ayn Rand to make superhero movies was a bad idea.

You literally called consenting sex rape, fuck off

I know it's hard to put yourself in the shoes of a character in a movie. I won't try to demand such a insurmountable intellectual effort from you again.

I said that you can't differentiate between rape and consenting rape when you don't even remember that anything happened you idiot.

>The best Superman movie isn't even about Superman

When will DC just accept that Superman is crappy character at least when it comes to movies?

Tard

Yeah. Remember how Jor El spent like six seasons of smallville constantly trying to get Clark to stop trying to help humanity?

Even allowing for the possibility that he was *trying* to do that, he failed utterly, so in fact that would be his greatest crime.

Not to mention the "saving Metropolis" scene. And the fact that he SMILES on occasion.

>and then somehow has the power to throw it into the sun

Because it needed t happen. Because the world would have been doomed if he didn't throw it into space (he doesn't throw it into the Sun, just space, and it damn near kills him). Because Superman is as strong as he needs to be, and because Superman stories aren't about his strength.

>He's great at visuals

He's not even that good at visuals...dark, washed-out colors and shaky cam do not mix well.

Pretty sure that in Returns he told the whole world that he was leaving in order to investigate the ruins of Krypton. He just didn't tell Lois specifically.

It's a wee bit more subtle, I think. You don't get Clark in a Church with a giant stained-glass window right behind him, for example, or him for no apparent reason spreading his arms crucifix-style before flying out of a spaceship.

When he falls to Earth in Returns, for example, he had previously been holding up that island, so it makes sense that he'd be in a crucified position when he lets go.

Proof critics opinions are worthless

I mean I get that the man's films aren't for everyone but the vitrol he gets is more than Directors who done some truly vile shit behind the scenes. (Kubrick, Polanski, Allen etc etc.)

Nice trips but everyone knows the best Superman movie is Hercules.

Dito