What went wrong?

What went wrong?

not much

the second one and then the railer for the third one.

Only real issues

It started out wrong and then went right.

This. P enjoyable trilogy. Each film experimented in different ways which makes it already better than 90% of all the generic capeshit that comes out twice a year

they used sabotage again instead of another beastie classic

Beyond was worth it. Into Darkness was just too much of an obvious remake and wasn't iconic enough to warrant it's own existence.

Discovery killed the remaining pulse of the franchise.

terrible casting except for Karl Urban as McCoy

is really just Star Wars with Star Trek dressing

she wasn't nude

The first one was serviceable but Into Darkness fucking sucked. Didn't see Beyond but I've heard it's the best of the three

It went pretty well, all things considered. Hope we see a fourth.

the second one but that's really it. Not high art but decent flicks. Better than capeshit

>no sex scene with her and Carol Marcus
Dropped

Shit writing and direction, basically being Star Trek in name only.

FPBP

They made three good movies.

Star Trek>Star Wars

>no facial with these eyes/lenses staring at you
1 job, one fucking job

>hey guise, remember the beastie boys xD

anyway, I think the first one is unironically great for the most part though, 2nd is okay too, and 3 is just a somewhat lame double episode

JJ Abram's only good work

First one was an interesting, fresh reboot that I thoroughly enjoyed despite some riduculousness that comes with modern blockbusters

Second one was a remake of Wrath of Khan and didn't do much for world-building, Cumberbatch was a good villain but both the villains of the movie were human and they didn't take advantage of the Trek universe like using the Klingons more

Third was atrocious schlock, don't know why anyone favors this over the other, better movies. It didn't work at all, stupid villain, dumb plot full of holes and absolute asspulls like the beastie boys music being used to defeat the drone fleet, and guess what? The villain was another human!

I think it would have been cool to see Kirk & crew up against the Borg, something interesting and cool with the whole premise of the timeline being different, but still having those Star Trek favorites like Klingons and shit.

This. I've seen every star trek movie in the theater since V (which I saw as a double feature with Ghostbuster II) and after into darkness I called it quits. Kind of a shame though because I ended up genuinely enjoying beyond.

I only saw Star Trek (2009) and because it sucked so bad, I didn't see the others. So that's the only one I can comment on...
What went wrong?
No understanding of what makes the franchise good.
Frantic JJ pace - scenes have no room to breathe, actors have no space to develop their characters.
Character development that feels forced and artificial - characters just do whatever serves the plot and will generate shallow audience reactions.
Generic plot.
Universe feels small - space travel is made to look so fast that there's no sense of sci-fi grandeur.
Characters don't seem like their original versions in the previous works in the franchise. For example, Nu-Kirk is reduced to impulsive action man, without any of the gravitas of the original character. Nu-Spock gets butthurt and drops a crew-member off on an inhospitable planet, which doesn't seem like something the original Spock would have done even in youth.
Movie doesn't feel like Star Trek, it feels like a high school dramedy filmed on Star Trek-ish sets.
Vulcan is blown up for cheap audience reaction points - the sense of how serious this event would be given established Star Trek canon is not conveyed.
The Enterprise is constructed on Earth, not in space? Why? This seems like the typical JJ approach - first come up with something you think will look cool, then just shove it into the movie with no regard for how it fits with established canon.
Etc...
The Force Awakens shares many of these problems.

when I think about it they would have had the chance to got for some really cool parallel universe series if they hadn't sunk Nero's ship in the black hole
technological bla bla aside, they could have learned way earlier about the wormhole and the borg and trying to establish alliances with the klingons and romulans.. so basically a bit like DS9 but with different starting positions and relations to each other

>is really just Star Wars with Star Trek dressing
I wouldn't even say that. It's JJ Wars with Star Trek dressing. JJ seems to not understand either franchise beyond the most superficial level.

The last movie felt like a mediocre ENT episode, while 1+2 felt like 10 hours of VOY Threshold

This.

Star Wars has the same problem Star Trek did: Abrams liked the movies but wasn't a fan. Objectively NuWars and NuTrek aren't bad movies, but they definitely aren't Star Wars or Star Trek.

All the right parts are there, but they have no heart.

Imagine if they made a new Next Generation film. Would it be popular? Films based on tv series seem like such a strange concept now, and it's only been about 10 years since they stopped. Now only British comedy shows really get films. Imagine if the X-Files got a film now, or Star Trek Discovery, or even Game of Thrones. Just wouldn't happen. Belongs in the 2000s or beforehand. Just like those PSP UMDs - weird to think that just 13 years ago they were releasing special movie discs that you could only play on a PSP.

The trilogy will be worth it if the next movie has them fix the timeline.

>timeline is being repaired
>through shenanigans, Pine Kirk meets Shatner Kirk
>they talk and part ways
>Both Kirks as they walk away, under their breath: "That guy's full of himself."

didn't Abrams admit to having never seen TOS until after agreeing to direct Star Trek?

>Universe feels small - space travel is made to look so fast that there's no sense of sci-fi grandeur.
JJ has such a terrible grasp of scale in general.

nothing, it was the best of the reboot series. using rock music as a weapon was extra stupid though.

cute butt

If that's true it makes a lot of sense.

>Spock being a hothead with only lip service to Vulcan emotional neutrality
>Kirk is a smarmy womanizing douche
>Uhura shows even less emotion than Spock
>Sulu doesn't fence but as the Asian guy wields a fucking katana in the first movie
>Scotty is a wacky downstairs neighbor rather than a put-upon nonxommissioned officer
>Bones is the same age as the rest of the crew rather than a few years older, barely interacts with Spock despite Kirk, Spock, and McCoy being DEM BRIDGE BOYZ
>no Klingons

The Good:
>Realized they had ruined Spock to the point where they just have him fucked up on pain meds the whole movie so Quinto doesn't have to act in-character
>Story doesn't have weird outrage over Kirk being a sexhaver who likes girls
>In fact Kirk actually gets to be pretty cool and do a lot of cool shit as well as being on point and a smart leader
>Not one or two but three hot lady aliens (I'd do weird pink brain chick ok fuck off)
>More Bones
>FUCK YOUR DAD'S STAR TREK, BEASTIE BOYZ R BACK was funny

The Bad:
>Plot was like a mashup of Insurrection and Search for Spock somehow, despite attempts to give stakes felt like an overlong TV episode
>Idris Elba's villain was just another generic "REVENGE!!" movie villain--they shouldn't have even bothered to explain his backstory
>Where the FUCK was Alice Eve c'mon Paramount I'm not hard to please
The Ugly:
>lol when they made Sulu gay for goodboy points and got BTFO'd by George Takei of all people

First one was cool and fresh.

Second one was a purposeless retread

Third felt like an extended episode of a TV show with no stakes rather than a theatrical film

None were bad, but the latter two were nothing to get excited about

The best part of the Zulu gay "reveal" is Kirk eye-spiking the camera like "Hey, check it out. Sulu likes dudes. Pretty fuckin' progressive, huh?"

I've nothiing against gays in media or on life but the shot was just so fucking pandering. They might as well have flashed "KIRK AMD AS AM EXTENSION ALL OF STARL TREK IS COOL WITH THIS" on screen and been done with the attempt on subtlety

>muh macross and power of muzak
They wanted the weeb audience.

Leave the Trek. Come aboard The Kinoville

you can like both you know

NOT TREK

yeah and then i'll watch family guy, and then ted 2, and then the fast and furious movies, and then buy the latest call of duty, and drink cans of monster, and then show people quickscoping videos on my phone

TOO MUCH ACTION AND NOT ENOUGH SCIENCE FICTION!!!FACT!!!

bemp until we know what went wrong with nutrek

Trying to be action blockbusters instead of comfy space adventures.

this

I hate Benedict Arnoldbatch's faggot face

star trek beyond is one of the best trek movies though

i thought beyond was alright
ok that's a flaw i guess

This is correct. And Star Trek 2009 (I haven't seen the others) wasn't even a good action blockbuster.

Good post

agreed desu

3 > 1 > 2

fpbp

This unironically. I actually like it as a trilogy of films.

>JJ Wars with Star Trek dressing
>Star Trek - 2009
>Star Wars: The Force Awakens - 2015

Making Beyond fucking terrible and not continuing from 2, and adding Pegg to the writers team.

I never thought I'd see the day when the villains of a Star Trek film are defeated by a Beastie Boys song.

>but both the villains of the movie were human and they didn't take advantage of the Trek universe like using the Klingons more
The other was more MORE human than Human.

Also loved that Weller came back to Trek because he was essentially Green/Hitler on ENT.

Every entry in this series has the same plot, a guy wants revenge on the Federation

>while 1+2 felt like 10 hours of VOY Threshold
Think you have it reversed mate, the 3rd is Furious of Dead in Space, the first two are at least serviceable for their someone dedication to canon vs "FUCK IT THERE WAS MORE THAN 5 NX SHIPS AND ALSO THE NX WASNT THE FIRST WARP 4 SHIP THE SHOWS JUST LIED WHO CARES HERE'S A MOTORBIKE CHASE."

>>Spock being a hothead with only lip service to Vulcan emotional neutrality
Spock was emotionally compromised.
>>Kirk is a smarmy womanizing douche
There's nothing wrong here.
>>Uhura shows even less emotion than Spock
Zoe can only act monotone ref. Guardians
>>Sulu doesn't fence but as the Asian guy wields a fucking katana in the first movie
Dude in Naked Time he was tell Kevin Riley all about the virtues of fucking Fencing he's an enthusiast.
>>Scotty is a wacky downstairs neighbor rather than a put-upon nonxommissioned officer
He was commissioned, he was just put to exile essentially because he fucked up an experiment.
>>Bones is the same age as the rest of the crew rather than a few years older, barely interacts with Spock despite Kirk, Spock, and McCoy being DEM BRIDGE BOYZ
meh I'll give you that.
>>no Klingon
They had them in the deleted scenes but there's other races than Klingons, and besides would they be TOS style or a new design or the fucked up terrible STD ones?