Were they good parents?

Were they good parents?

Yes, they love Calvin and didn't raise up his unrealistic standards for stuff. The only time they get mad at him is when he's being a typical shit head 6 year old.

watterson was alwys clear that we only ever saw a portion of the full lives of calvin's family and that he just chose to highlight the funny and poignant parts, rather than show the enitrety of it like most bad family comics. I think it worked to the comic's benefit

fuck it Calvin and Hobbes thread

Yes. they loved him and he loved them.

another of my favorite calvin's dad stories

Don't tear up often, but this one got me. Wish I had this kinda childhood.

I don't recall ever seeing this one.

learning the lesson is whats important, not necessarily having calvin's kind of childhood. And it's never too late to learn the lesson.

God I love Calvin & Hobbes.

glad to be able to introduce it to you

they were very realistic for comic strip parents

without a doubt, it's one of the greatest works of art in the 20th century.

that they were.

what did he mean by this?

I meant to say that I love the expression of the airline passenger in the upper right panel

No. They don't strike him enough. That's why he's such a horrible child.

I have The Indispensable and The Wonderful World. What am I missing?

The Tenth Anniversay book is vital, the detail watterson writes about his take on comics/comic history and art as well as his musings on the characters in his strips is really illuminating.

I kinda muddled up what tried to write but regardless, my point is that the Tenth Anniversary book is the best.

it's time for some spiff

Without a doubt one of the best two-panel starts to a strip ever.

dubs

Thanks for helping out. keep posting.

are there any lurkers about?

I gotta go but i'll be back in a few hours.

This one I like

Watterson was great at visual storytelling.

These strips have zero dialogue, yet you can tell exactly everything that's happening. I don't think there are any strips running in the papers nowadays that are capable of doing this anywhere near as well.

This one's one of my favorite Calvin's dad strips.

For me, this particular strip hits really close to home.

Bump.
I read these back when I was a kid, and I found them funny.

Now I realize what a masterpiece they are.

>Final shot is in the same generic frame that 95% of newspaper comics use

Watterson was a genius

This comic really depresses me as an adult. I used to think it was funny

This legitimately is a great explainer of cubism

Who is in the right here?

He knew.

I'm lurking
Thanks for posting these.

Odd that Calvin's generation (early 80s kids) were not the ones who you'd blame for that sort of thing, isn't it?

This is too goddamn prophetic.

Calvin is the original Millennial.

I honestly don't think I've ever laughed harder in my entire life then when I read the Transmographier sequence. I must have been down for twenty minutes. I think I almost passed out.

I am, thanks for the memorys user

me. ur doing gods work

>expect thread full of millenials saying Calvin's dad sucks for getting angry over broken binoculars because their parents were completely useless in instilling discipline in their worthless spawn
>instead it's just a Calvin dump

Thanks for curbing your autism guys

thanks everyone, Glad to see the thread's still going. I'm gonna keep posting!

time for some calvin ball

No prob.

God damn that's a good punchline.

it's one of my faves

this is one of the best ever

Can I just ask a question as an educator? This is purely from an American viewpoint.

While I get that sticking a child in a classroom and expecting them to be a worker bee stifles their imagination and creativity, which is only exacerbated in middle and high school where other students pressure each other into not giving a shit, at the same time people are currently graduating college with STEM degrees without being able to perform simple mathematics. I've seen professors ban the use of calculators in basic algebra classes with test scores plummeting as a result.

Where's the middle line between exploring personal creativity and teaching essential skills?

I remember trying to make snow sculptures like Calvin when I was a kid but they never worked out well.

i think it's important to differentiate between calvin's perspective and watterson's. watters wrote that he always had sympathy for wormwood and she was never portrayed as a bad teacher so I don't necessarily think that calvin and hobbes was ever arguing against the education system itself. instead it was giving voice to the kids who existed within it.

like in this comic here, watterson said he got a lot of hate mail for it, but it was as if adults had forgotten what it"s like to be a kid. He's not adovcating this actually happening he's just showing the desires of kids in an entertaining and novel way

and to continue my point, wattersonsaid of this strip

" if calvin thinks school is this bad wait until he gets his first job"

there have definetly been some good ones irl but yeah it's hard.

oops forgot pic

Buddy, that is way too intelligent of a question for Sup Forums. You'd be better off taking that to your school administrators or your local board of education.

Still, if you want a completely worthless and uneducated opinion, I'll gladly offer mine. I think the line is when the students get enough individual attention to compensate for their differences in learning. Ideally, teachers should have the time to tweak lessons to suit kids with different styles of learning. That way you can teach them the essentials in a way that doesn't stifle their development.

Those are great.

now for a series of poems

Has there been a picture of Bill Watterson made in the 2000s?

This guy is so elusive, he's like bigfoot.

These comics always do a great job of making me want to be a kid again.

Not that I know of, there was a documentary made about him and he has actually drawn a poster for a comics festival ( and a few strips actually)

Now ,though for "a nauseous nocturne"

part 2

This thread makes me want to give my collection another full read through. Last time was probably when I was 14, going through as a 21 year old will probably effect me very differently...

part 3

I recommend it, it's truly timeless and worth rereading.

part 5

I feel this one applies to a lot of Sup Forums