>"but i saved his life!"
>"and you expect a gift for it?"

>man of steel
>clark saves a bunch of kids from drowning
>pa kent angry with clark for saving them
>"the fuck is wrong with you?"
>"should i have just let them drown?"
>"yes you fucking retard! god, i wish i was dead!"

What did Snyder mean by this? Really makes you think, doesn't it?

That actually caught me off guard, OP, made me smile.

Its just Fatherly advice 101

Raimi really did go a little far with some of the dialogue.

It's because Snyder is a broken man who follows a broken ideology and forces it into all his work.

But isn't it rude to refuse a gift? Not saying Clark should expect payment for good deeds but there's no harm in just saying thank you and be done with it

>"Dad, you're bleeding! I'll get help!"

>"No, Bruce! This city... It needs an example... A tragedy that can alert them to the violence and corruption that is infecting it, threatening to take over. And you... You need a goal... Something to compel you to fight for Gotham and its people. That's me. I'm more valuable dead than alive. So don't save me, Bruce. Avenge me. Embrace the rage. Become the night. No mercy."

>"If Men's World is in danger, shouldn't we help them?"

>"I've been to Men's World before, Diana. Their savagery, their lust, their ambition, their very nature prevents them from sustaining their existence. Man is an abomination. The gods' greatest mistake. It's a wounded horse that, rather than being allowed to die its natural death, it's being kept alive... Agonizing, withering, craving for rest. It was once our mission to perpretate this. But we've had enough. Enough oftheir depravity, violence and cruelty. We chose to euthanise the human race. We will let them burn themselves to the ground. Maybe the gods can create something worthier off of their ashes."

Whoa, I thought I was on Sup Forums for a second. But to answer the question OP, the DCEU Pa Kent has to listen to the screams of dying horses echo unceasingly in his noggin 24/7, so you can understand why he's not the best at advice.

John is trying to make it so his superhuman God powered son doesn't start getting the idea to exploit his powers for personal gain. Yeah a gift's a gift, but a car is a pretty pricy item, that clark otherwise probably wouldn't be able to get without putting in alot of normal, human work, that'd ideally help him build character. If he was a regular person, sure, accept the car, but John understands it could be a slippery slope.

In short, Superman shouldn't make any money, for saving the world from Solomon Grundy.

That's from the theatrical cut. They completely butchered his vision with that one.

>"Dad, I promise you, I'll find the man who killed mom and I will prove your innocence."

>"No, Barry. If 20 years in Iron Heights have taught me anything, it is that the true prison, the one you can't escape from, is the one inside your mind. And I've been in prison every day I spent with your mother. I've hated her in secret since before you were born, Barry. Every day I left home, I thought about running and never looking back. I only didn't do it because I couldn't do that to you. But now you're an adult. Now you can walk on your own. Barry, the truth is I've never felt more free. I didn't kill your mother, but I sure am glad she is dead. The man who put me here... Has my gratitude. And that's why I belong here. So my advice to you is... Let it go. Run away. And never look back. Because I won't. Not even for you."

This is more or less what she actually said in the movie though.

>"Why am I different from everyone else, dad?"

>"Because you're a bastard, Arthur. The bastard son of the surface and the ocean. Your mother is the queen of a place where no human is allowed to go. Her people would shed her blood for allowing a surfacer to taint her, and yours, for existing. It was easier for her to leave your behind, dismissive you as a fever dream. And me? I'm not made for society, kid. I did a lot of bad things and burned a lot of bridges to end up here. A lighthouse keeper in the end of the world. I took care of you when your mother left because I thought maybe it'd bring her back, but it didn't. I'm not cut out to raise you. With all the stuff you can do, you don't belong here among us. And with all the stuff you can't do, you don't belong there among them either. You'd be a freak no matter where you go. You're alone, Arthur. Forever. And if you're smart, you're gonna learn from that. And it'll make you stronger."

>"Dad, what have you done to me? You made me some sort of cyborg."

>"I did what I had to do, Victor. I'm a man of science. I've dedicated my whole life to building a better world. You're my creation, my legacy, and I couldn't lose you to a fatality of fate. Not when I had to technology to make you whole again. To make you better. You are the first transhuman, Victor. The perfect fusion of man and machine. You finally have a purpose rather than wasting away all the potential I passed onto you. You can change the world. You were a disappointment to me once, son. Don't disappoint me again."

>>"but i saved his life!"
>>"and you expect a gift for it?"
He didn't expect a gift you dumb cunt, let him keep the car! I'm glad Pa Kent dies in the comics.

Do more, I love them.

>Uxas, you are my favorite nephew and I am proud of you. Whichever you chose to do with your life, be it maintain peace with New Genesis or scour the universe for the Anti-Life Equation, know that your uncle will always be at your side to help and support you. I love you, boy.

This one makes sense actually.

Why shouldn't Superman make some money for saving the world from Solomon Grundy? Policemen get paid. Firemen get paid. Doctors get paid. Why shouldn't Superman get paid?

If Superman got paid then he could spend his day concentrating on doing Superman stuff instead of trying to make a living.

And if he decided the crumbling building full people he was saving couldn't afford his bill should he just let them die?

The problem is the logistics of it.
Who pays him?
How much is he paid?
Is it a flat rate, a monthly bill?
What happens if you can't afford to pay him?
How does Clark suddenly explain where the money is coming from?

And anyways, even though they never show it you know that people would probably try to give superman gifts all the time.

The thing with superheroes is that they are supposed to save people because they want to do good, not because it's their job.

I need more! More terrible Sup Forums fatherly advice!

Different ideologies

Smallville Pa Kent was in a much more trusting era. Less people had the internet, so less people looked up shit that the CIA and FBI liked to do to average US citizen for fun. He fully believes in the possibility of a messianic hero, and is trying to guide Clark towards that path.

MoS Pa Kent? He's evidently extremely afraid of the government, that they're going to take away his kid, that they're going to hurt him, ruin his life. A spaceship crashes in his field and he immediately hides it. They raise the kid as their own until they feel he's old enough to understand, and that one day he should return to where he came from. He took the key to his pod, got it analysed and then somehow persuaded the scientist to keep quiet about it. His son gets bullied, and he urges his son to just keep his head down, and not cause a scene.

He believes his son can be amazing, that he CAN help people, and he knows he'd be great at it. But he doesn't want that for him, because he feels it's more important that he's able to live a normal life unburdened by that, that he continues life on the quiet farm out of sight but safe.

That's why he chooses to die, because HE fucked up, not his son. He doesn't want to be the reason that his son is forced to never live a normal life, where some group of bible beating nutters praise him as the second coming. He can't tell his son to let people die for their mistakes, but he can't let him fix everyone's injustices in the open.He wants his son to live, not to serve as some chained god. He can't tell his son to let people die for their mistakes, but he can't let him fix everyone's injustices in the open.

Of course, this could have all been explained better by a more eloquent film writer, who knows that an underpass is fucking dangerous in a tornado

i cant believe you retards are replying to the OP seriously

>MoS Pa Kent? He's evidently extremely afraid of the government, that they're going to take away his kid, that they're going to hurt him, ruin his life. A spaceship crashes in his field and he immediately hides it. They raise the kid as their own until they feel he's old enough to understand, and that one day he should return to where he came from. He took the key to his pod, got it analysed and then somehow persuaded the scientist to keep quiet about it. His son gets bullied, and he urges his son to just keep his head down, and not cause a scene.
>He believes his son can be amazing, that he CAN help people, and he knows he'd be great at it. But he doesn't want that for him, because he feels it's more important that he's able to live a normal life unburdened by that, that he continues life on the quiet farm out of sight but safe.
>That's why he chooses to die, because HE fucked up, not his son. He doesn't want to be the reason that his son is forced to never live a normal life, where some group of bible beating nutters praise him as the second coming. He can't tell his son to let people die for their mistakes, but he can't let him fix everyone's injustices in the open.He wants his son to live, not to serve as some chained god. He can't tell his son to let people die for their mistakes, but he can't let him fix everyone's injustices in the open.

Zach buys that Ann Rand bullshit so of course his father figure must do so as well.

I'm surprised his Pennyworth was actually so on point.