Have they been Flanderized?

Have they been Flanderized?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BOLGuZh0JJc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not yet, but if Jerry stays a loser and Beth stays a prop, then maybe.

Yes.

This show has already spent more time flanderized than underflanderized.

>Rick
Just a little bit. Made more cynical and less caring.
>Summer
I don't know if 'flanderized' is the right word, but she is now a completely different character. I wouldn't really call it character development though.
>Morty
Actually had some character development.
>Jerry
Worse example. From a Homer Simpson dumb dad type (though undeniably weak willed) to a complete looser.
>Beth
Essentially a non-entity in the show.

Yes, but that's a good thing.

>a complete looser [sic]
youtube.com/watch?v=BOLGuZh0JJc

Nah it's called character progression

Definitely when it comes to Rick.

He used to be a lovable dick. Now he's just a dick.

I'm still betting on Jerry becoming a badass and telling Rick to fuck off, we all know that original Jerry became an alpha and dragged his family into that status along with him.

I think the Mad Max episode was a good step away from Flanderization.

Morty at this point is super aware of the implicit horror involved in the adventures, as well as his grandpa's machinations. He still does dumb things, but isn't as naive as he was in the beginning. "Heh heh, first race war, eh, Summer?"

Summer is the most flexible character. She can be a force of reason, but she can also act out like a teenager. I like where she is at in the series right now. She's a good sidekick to Rick and can give some pushback when needed.

Beth actually showed some remorse and emotional uncertainty after her divorce, but the jury's still out on her character development. Bitter alcoholics like to have some outside force they can blame all their troubles on. When that outside force is gone or irrelevant, they either are forced to face their own demons or they implode. It will be interesting to see what direction they go in with her.

Jerry is in a similar situation to Beth, but instead of alcoholism, it's getting a nod of approval. It's why he awkwardly steps in to other people's business so often, especially with Summer. He doesn't want to face up to his own problems, but if he can help someone else, then he can escape his own existential crisis. I'd actually like his kids to stay away from him for a bit and have segment where he goes on his own journey, but who knows if they'll do that.

Rick's a weird case, because his personality is pretty mercurial in nature. He's "protective" of his family, but in the same way a sociopath is. Those people are "his property" and no one else's. In this way, he definitely does go to bat for them in a meaningful way, but there's a sour note to it all. In the worst scenario, it's because he wants to use them to further his agenda of the week. In the best scenario, it's to ease his own loneliness and help his conscience. It's alway a balancing act with Rick's character.

Well put.

very on point user, good to see someone who actually understands these characters.

I would say that the characters are evolving as the show goes on and the existential an menial horrors pile on, kind of the opposite of flanderization

Thank you, but how much do you really want these characters to evolve? At some point, they will have to address that Rick is poison to the family. Fuck, Jerry with all his faults knew this. Jerry got divorced because he couldn't live with all the enabling they do for Rick. Characters evolving in a meaningful way means the other family members will have to come to this same conclusion.

But if you force Rick to be a better person or leave the family, then the show is over.

Take it easy, it's just a drawing.

honestly at this point I'm really hoping the show ends with Rick dying(and a For Real death at that), kinda feels like the only way his character can be satisfyingly resolved

As long as they name the jew at some point, the show can end in any stupid manner and still be good.

>Rick
Morty we gotta *BURRP* we gotta go to the flibbledribble galaxy and get some drugs from space pirates, Morty! Strap in Morty!
>Morty
Oohhhh geez, Rick! I dunno about this!
>Jerry
I am retarded.
>Beth
I want my marriage to fail but I also do not want my marriage to fail.
>Summer
Oh my god!

its like I'm really watching the show

And we're discussing those drawings, that's what the whole board is for?

I feel like this would be a good ending, but I do feel if this happened Morty would take Ricks place and become the "Rickest" Morty. And the cycle of having an irresponsible parent figure negatively effecting an innocent child (eg Morty's son or Nephew) would continue.

It's a tricky situation to be sure, if the characters deviate to much from their original conception then you have the risk of losing what people liked about these characters in the first place, but if you don't take it far enough then their progression feels sort of meaningless and forced.
Overall I think I'd have the characters change over time and come to the conclusion that Rick is a piece of shit, rather then the show just turning into the simpsons where the characters exist in some kind of timeless space, where nothing is remembered and the character dynamics never change.

I would have a ton of respect for Roliand and Harmon if they did an episode exactly like this. Everyone is boiled down to just their core character responses and that's the episode. But, I doubt they have anywhere near that can of creative energy anymore and we'll probably just get Interdimensional cable 3.

I don't trust the writers to give Jerry his own journey because they seem to like using him more as a punching bag more than actually developing him. Plus, anyone with an abusive father in law like Rick, and domineering like Beth would be desperate for getting a nod of approval. I argue that Jerry is blind to whatever talents his has because he's been constantly put down by cold blooded jerks like Rick, and the universe itself.

Sup roiland/Harmon? How was the blowie from the chick to write an episode?

Wow great argument, you sure convinced me.

yyyyyyep =/ fuckin show

A parody episode where it's another reality where the entire cast is stereotyped to their worst possible outcome would at least show self awareness.

Rick was almost reverse flanderized in the beginning of the show.
He started off as actually an interesting character: a mad scientist. Like, actually crazy with no regard for the safety of others. Unrelatable.

He quickly developed into a "cool" character that people would actually want to be. He went from being intelligent and crazy to intelligent and someone who doesn't give a shit.
He's really only gotten "cooler" and more repeatable as the series progressed.

It's a shame because I think the original pilot was interesting, a show about an actual idiot and a guy who's actually insane.

It is only on season 3, how can you tell that already

>He quickly developed into a "cool" character that people would actually want to be.

Who the fuck would want to be Rick? Jesus fucking christ. He's killed his own clones in a laughing manic way just because they were of no use to him. Where are people getting this idea that the show is portraying Rick as "cool"? The only episode that might have done that would have been the opening to Season 3, but otherwise you have two other seasons and now another episode of him just being a selfish dick as per usual.

People think that selfish dicks are cool.
There's a difference between doing something that clearly only benefits you and doing something for no discernible reason.
You can relate with someone being selfish, but you can't relate with someone being insane.

Beth never had much of a personality in the first place.

No, they developed from shitty one-dimensional characters to even shitter one-dimensional characters, with slightly different characterizations.

I agree with you on all points, but i feel i have to disagree with your assessment of Summer. I think her flexibility stems from the fact that the writers aren't sure where to take her. She's more impulsive than Rick and we haven't really seen her be a force of reason for some time now.

Yeah, the show is really trying too hard with its Nihilism angle.

>character has something unique or at least kind of refreshing about them
>enough episodes pass that the creators can now use fan input
>"they likes it when they do this"
>soon the character is mostly just that one trait
This seems to happen a lot or just often enough it's buttblasting me...

The only time they were not being flanderized was the first episode of the first season and the last ones of each season.

I don't think so, maybe Beth and Jerry have lost the progress made in the alternate timelines googles (I can't remember the tittle of the ep). But now after two seasons struggling with their marriage, they finally divorced.

I'm hoping that this will give a new vibe and also this can help them develope a little, and not only being used as a prop.

We've also seen that Morty had some developement in the episode, and Summer, although maybe in a very ridiculous way, but still. And Rick, from that Spaceship battle promo has been the first time he actually admits that he didn't had control of the situation. I just hope for the best, this series is gold, so hopefully it'll go fine with no mistakes

>Beth and Jerry have lost the progress made in the alternate timelines googles

Not entirely. The thing there was them overcoming their emotional distance and realizing they did still love each other and want to be together. They essentially cleared the internal struggle of their relationship. What's happening now is a second issue, where the trouble between their marriage wasn't each other, but Rick. They're having to deal with an external issue now.

>He doesn't want to face up to his own problems, but if he can help someone else, then he can escape his own existential crisis

I... ehm... think i might be Jerry

Holy Shit
Is the Comics good?

>Who the fuck would want to be Rick?
As said
>People think that selfish dicks are cool.

Look at House for one example or Walter White, both are selfish pricks and a lot of people want to be like them, not giving a fuck or be dicks to everybody, while being on top of everyone else. They never think though that the one died and forgotten and for the other the show ended so badly, they forgot it even existed (The episode where House jumps from his balcony to the pool should've been the final scene)
They think they are cool but they never "see" the consequences that their behavior brings. And most people don't have the guts to be like that, so they tend to admire those people, in fictional shows, as something they can never achieve themselves.

Harmon actually did something like this on Community from time to time. There's an episode where literally all of Shirley's lines are "I've got three children".

I actually really liked Jerry's development last episode. He's still a total loser but he's more sympathetic.

Morty's being cool with murder kind of came too quick, was hoping he'd still be a little less ready for it after the purge episode. But it's not out of nowhere at least, just a little unrealistic.

Summer went from like 15 to 100 in terms of bloodlust and psychopathy. It might be an indication she takes after Rick. She's had a lot of dialog and actions implying she could probably be closer to Rick's intelligence but considering she seemed more empathetic in the past seasons it came out of mother fucking nowhere. Surprised that depiction even made it into the episode, it really shouldn't have.

Rick took a couple steps back in terms of caring about his family, which I think is disappointing. It was hard to root for him, not because he wasn't funny, but just because he wasn't interesting. When he swings so far back into fuck it hate my family hate my life without that core of loving them, even if it's not on the surface, or trying to save them, he becomes less fun to watch. His characterization's been swinging back and forth like crazy. Also he broke that one rule of not hanging around a Morty for a few weeks to cloak his presence or whatever they talked about earlier in the show with brainwaves, which was sloppy. It's possible he's not the main Rick, though, or something.

Beth doesn't do much. Fun prop for the other characters to work off of sometimes.

All in all the writers aren't doing an amazing job, forgetting a lot, not keeping characters consistent to past seasons, etc. I'm hoping they can turn it around, I liked the new episodes for sure, but to say it isn't flawed is lying to yourself.

tl;dr: No but they're bad for other reasons.

A lot of people find it cool to be psychopathic, or just "bad" in general. I have an uncle who loves to brag about having a high IQ and that he's a psychopath who could cut off his family at any moment. It's an edgy phase basically. The same way people want to be gangsters even though being one means you'd have to do a lot of fucked up shit, or hearing voices in your head even though it's honestly fucking annoying. It's become cool.

For most people it's only a fantasy that they haven't even considered the consequence of.

Jerry was never a Homer-type character. In the first episode in the series its him who recognizes that his marriage is mediocre at best and wants to improve it while Beth refuses to talk about it.

He behaves stupidly but it's always because he's weak and cowardly, not because of inherent retard-level intellectual disability.

Rick has. Beth and Jerry were always cut-outs. And Summer can't stick to a personality for more than two episodes.

i don't know

I noticed that in the latest episode they all said "nothing matters and life is meaningless" or some variation of it. I know the show is best known for having a nihilistic undercurrent, but they shouldn't have to just blurt it out directly.

No? Go back and watch the first few episodes.Jerry was always worthless, Rick was always silly and cynical.

The words you're looking for are "character development". Summer is used to the weird shit now so she's more developed and less bland, Morty is pissed off at the weird shit, Rick SEEMS more cynical because shit is worse in his life right now.

At this point i hope someone just kills Rick and teh show ends with him bleeding to death.

Fucker gets more evil and more of a psychopath per episode, his basically stan+hitler+stalin by this point.

>Early Rick
Old senile science man with a penchant for doing comically dark things
>Current Rick
Zany pretentious edgelord that tries to be as horrible a bastard as possible

>Early Morty
Good-hearted nervous teen of slightly below-average intelligence that is surprisingly competent in dangerous environments
>Current Morty
Condescending cunt always hopping on his soapbox when he's not being the standard Kyle to Rick Cartman

Yeah this sentence maybe hit a little too close to home for me.

Normies don't see further than memetic phrases, like the example you're talking about, He killed his clones, but normies only remember

>TINY RICK WOOH

hence a thousand pieces of merch of Tiny Rick and now Pickle Rick is gonna be a thing

>he thinks roiland would ever go here to praise his own show

roiland is the guy who posts "reddit and memey" every day

I guess theres a possibility of there being universes of Jerrys that have their shit straightened out and aren't push overs.
Id love to see this in an future episode.

I bet this comic makes the brainlets buttblasted at rick feel better.

Episode 6 is going to change some character dynamics for a small while.