I don't understand this current divorce arc

I don't understand this current divorce arc.
Do the writers hate Jerry, or are we supposed to feel sympathy for him?
Because he's in a very sympathetic place right now, but it seems like the writers are trying to blame him for the divorce when it was Beth's fault.

There's 7 threads up on this subject you fagget but here's your (YOU)

I think we're supposed to be mad at Jerry because he can't find a job.

Then again most people can't.

Its more Beth than Jerry who has the issue though. Beth and her daddy issues she put her dad before the man she married. But then again they both keep blaming Summer for their problems.

>Do the writers hate Jerry?

Yes. But you're also supposed to laugh at how pathetic he is, that's the joke. Giving up his money to a literal dog because he's too spineless to stand up to it is funny. Presumably.
The whole point of Jerry is to get pushed around and laughed at, it's a very common archtype. The only problem is that if you go too far, he becomes sympathetic and it's no longer funny. That and, well, he's right about Rick.

There already is a thread about this you massive faggot.

I wouldn't want to get in a fight with a rabid street dog either.

I don't know if you've ever heard of "character development" or a "character arc" before, but usually it involves characters being pulled out of their comfort zone and put through an emotional (or sometimes literal) gauntlet which forces them to reflect on the person they once was and come out the other side stronger and more complex.

That's what's happening to Jerry right now.

Kick it in the head as hard as you can. Problem solved. You would be amazed at how little dogs can strafe to avoid it

does it work on wolves or those big hunting dogs?

He is literally becoming Meg from Family Guy.

The show is just poorly written, and so far this season is the worst example

If this season is the worst example of poor writing, you're saying this is the best written season yet?

kek

uh

Rick and Morty's writers are such unbelievable hacks that they are too incompetent to write characters to have a proper balance between being comedic and serious, and because of that, they flanderized Jerry just to be the show's punching bag.

fuck, I'd be afraid of a feral dog, it's relatable
he's pathetic when he's looking for excuses to find a job, not when he tried to kick out rick to protect his wife and kids

There was an interview with the VA that said he and Rick would find some common ground. Maybe we get alpha Jerry soon.

No because by time you try it's already at ypur throat. Or it's buddy is at your ankle.

Maybe they bond over atheism.

It's getting really hard to find how much shit they drag Jerry through as funny. As someone with self esteem and confidence issues, I constantly feel like I'm a fucking Jerry.

Maybe they're just doing whatever they think is funny or interesting.
Why does everyone think a writer must hate a character to do anything bad to them?

Beth and Jerry are both shit desu, she has major daddy issues and he's a huge loser who begs his children for money. They deserve to be miserable together.

Rick and Morty celebrates Nihilism, and Jerry represents caring about stuff. They're giving you the idea of "fuck caring about things"

I wouldn't say it celebrates it.
Rick's nihilism leaves him empty. Jerry isn't just caring about stuff, he's being an insecure wreck about fucking EVERYTHING to the point it controls his life.

Hitler falling down a flight of stairs is funny, Mr. Rodgers falling down a flight of stairs is a tragedy.

Jerry in this season is only funny if you feel he deserves to suffer, because the joke is "Jerry is suffering" and that's it. Compare thst to last season and Pibbly Nibbles penis thing, there the humor came from the situation, and Jerry simply enabled that humor.

Rick actually explained it. The universe, the everything is centered and revolves around him in every way. He keep Jerry around because he felt sorry for him and his daughter liked him, but after working for the enemy he crossed the line. So he manipulated everyone and everything to get him out of the picture, and to make him suffer he spared him the release of death.

>Jerry pissed Rick off, so Rick had the writers sideline him.

I pull out my 12-guage and put it down in the street like a child. Dogs are just animals and if you want to prove that you're the alpha, you need to show them whose boss

Every Walmart within a 100 mile radius of me is hiring. They don't even drug test anymore.

Not having a job is just laziness

Jerry is shit, Parnell is an eternal cuck, and STFU have a (You)

Its a strawman of the cuck brainlets that get upset at the concept of nihilism and intelligence beyond theirs.

Both Jerry and Beth are completely and utterly pathetic. Jerry being a conformist loser while Beth being a equally pathetic daddy's girl and drunk.

>but it seems like the writers are trying to blame him for the divorce when it was Beth's fault
lol wat

>enter situation where you are clearly in the minority (everyone but him likes Rick)
>make idiotic ultimatum
>ultimatum ends up destroying marriage

It was 100% Jerry's fault. He wasn't entirely wrong but he chose entirely the wrong time and words.

Jerry's an idiot.

That said I think the Jerry subplot will end up turning around by the end of the season.

Sobthey are contrasting, Rick is obstinacy and gives not fucks, Jerry is obsessive and doesn't know how to let go

>just a fun brainless show
>satire of back to the future where every episodes plot is a spoof of a popular movie, book, etc
>caring about the plot
Comedy is dead

Rick acts like he doesn't care, but there are plenty of times where he does.

They are both to be blamed. Jerry didn't put his foot down earlier and Beth is still clinging on her dad. Heres your (You).

So basically he's the Squidward/Meg of the show?

Yes and it has already gone from funny to just plain sad.

>says it ONCE in the very first episode
>bluepilled retards STILL triggered 4 years later

>>Assuming walmart pays like a real job

3 months to become a department manager making $15 an hour barely doing more work than an average hourly

You guys know other shit happens in this show right like damn, how can topic interest you so fucking much??

you're supposed to feel sympathetic, you dumbass

That's basically peanuts an hour when you're trying to support a family (even with Beth's income).

its better than nothing at all

Rick caused the collapse of society and nearly got everyone killed. Even Beth was in agreement that enough was enough before Rick returned. It was absolutely the correct time.

God
*BURP*
isn't
*beats the shit out of satan*
real
*begins preying and begs god for mercy*
Morty.

What's the deal with Morty's rant saying his dad is being some kind of spineless fencesitter who needs to either stay or go away?

Jerry's taken hard decisive action. He gave Beth an ultimatum, and instead of backing down and apologizing when she chose Rick Jerry stuck to his guns and is moving out. He's filing for divorce and is planning on suing for full custody. What's this "Jerry needs to shit or get off the pot" nonsense? Is it because he hangs around the house? Of course he's going to visit Summer and Morty. What, just because he's divorcing Beth (mainly out of concern for his children's safety) he has to completely exit his kids' lives except for every other weekend?

There's no way in hell Morty actually knows the details the way we the viewer does or is really able to objectively look at the situation.
When my parents divorced I know I went through phases where I would despise one parents for something I saw as weak or immoral but months later I would realize they were just trying to be involved or something. Kids take divorce weird.

Don't know about wolves, but I had to fend off a sheepdog with rabies once and it worked pretty well.

Honest question. I have never held a job and I am 26, would Walmart hire me?

>Sobthey are contrasting, Rick is obstinacy and gives not fucks
What's with all the spelling errors here?

everyone in this show is just too unlikable and everyone is a shit to everyone else. I just dont see the appeal of this show. Rick is the biggest shit and its not funny. the mom is a bitch all the time to the dad. the dad is far too pathetic and is the meg of this show. Summer is just shitty, shes like season 1-4 Meg/ Brian. and morty is the closest thing to a likable character but hes such a loser too.

I didn't expect to see Ghost and the Engineer from True Capitalist Radio. How long ago was all that?

Probably. Their turn over rate is so high they'll often take anyone they can get. Just don't come across as a complete retard and you should be fine. You'll probably get suck bring a cashier or warehouse, but it's better than nothing.

Jerry is now the Meg of Rick and Morty.
I bet one episode will end with Rick farting on his face.

Thanks, you honestly restored a litle of the light in my life.

they aren't trying to make a point. it's just a story.

but yes the purpose of this character has always been to be despised by everyone.

Look up shadenfreud. Beth is pathetic too

What if I don't like violence?

Why do you know this? Buddy do you kick puppies?

The writers have no idea what they are doing anymore, surprise!

>I don't understand the divorce arc

Because it's Dan self inserting himself/his feelings towards marrige and divorce. Dan sort of empathized/liked jerry in some of his interviews and such, saying he'd prefer to be the blissful idiot like jerry then suicidal asshole like Rick, etc etc.

And now he's taken the character to a place where he feels he is at. It's why he's very easy to sympathize with at the moment and why the writers shit down his God damned throat. Because that's how Dan feels and that's how Dan probably seems himself (with the loser jerry aspect added ontop.)

Why haven't you been able to work? 27 no job here. Mentall illness was too bad since I was about 12/13

Morty has a lot of repressed anger over his family situation. Even though he hates Jerry, it's not as bad as his hatred for Rick and desire the straight up murder his grandfather for being an asshole.

That is supposed to be the joke. Rick denies the existence of God up until he finds himself on the verge of disaster, where he immediately starts praying and begging.

Women cant be wrong in divorce apparently, Jerry isn't satisfying her needs while disregarding his own.

I never liked Jerry but god damn pick on someone else, they all have issues.

>Just don't come across as a complete retard and you should be fine.
wrong, even complete retards will be hired because the govt gives walmart tax cuts for hiring disabled. act as retarded as you want, it JUST MIGHT land you the job more than if you didn't

From what we've seen he's trying to get an advertising job, but only job hunts online, and is probably blacklisted for his Hungry For Apples thing

I still have hopes that the whole point of the divorce arc is to build Rick up so he can get fucked in the ass with no lube and take the mother of all falls to punish him for his hubris.

IE he gets everything he wants (no Council of Ricks, No Federation, Beth divorcing Jerry, Morty at his mercy, and Summer as a hyper-competent sidekick) only to for it to backfire on him big time.

We already have the plot Phoenix Person and his wife are apparently rebuilding the Federation or at least, martially what's left to get revenge on Rick. Summer's a loose cannon and more to the point Rick's going to probably pay dearly when Summer realizes the truth about her grandfather in terms of how Summer responds, and the Council of Ricks is probably regrouping even as we speak.

Which leads us to Jerry; ten will get you twenty, that when Beth starts dating again, whoever she gets is going to make Rick's life a living hell. He won't be cowed and most likely be an Alpha male type who will immediately threaten Rick's supremacy over his captive family. And Rick's attempts to kill or vanish him will probably backfire big time and be the thing that causes Summer and Beth to turn against him again.

At which point, Rick will have to crawl on all fours to Jerry and suck Jerry's dick to get him to come back home, so the two can break Beth and her Chad Thundercock up and reunite Jerry and Beth so Rick doesn't end up exiled to a crooked nursing home where they drug everyone into a stupor as his punishment for being a shitty human being.

The old writers may have had something planned with him, considering how he constantly ends up a badass, when Rick is not actively fucking with his life (he needs to create Morties).
But since they are all fired, don't expect the new writers ever pick that one up. Of course this sorta bunch loves to portray his demographic as eternal losers. The only hope there is, is Roiland keeping the show on tract.

Rick probably knows God personally, but does not have a high opinion of him.

This much b8 is obvious.
Jerry is a terrible piece of shit, with very few redeeming qualities.
>No job
>lazy
>not assertive/gutless(lacking manliness)
>bad parent
>low intellect
>probably under average penis
I'm sure there's more.

Given that he's a sociopath, Rick will never let Beth date again. Too much risk of Beth bringing into the family someone Rick can't control or browbeat into submission.

Knowing Rick, he'll do one of the following to Beth to keep her single:

1. Emotionally manipulate Beth to "take time for herself and her career" after the divorce, in order to keep her from dating. He might even start brutalizing horses to create demand for Beth's surgical skills so that she doesn't have time for romance.

2. He'd just going to kill/maim/mutate any and all men who Beth tells him that she's attracted to/is seeing romantically.

With the later, I would not be shocked if that's the reason behind next week's "Talking Pickle Rick". IE Beth is dating and Rick created a gun that turns people into pickles so that he can turn Beth's dates into pickles and kill them/put them into a drawer, and cause them to die an extremely horrific manner/condemn them to a fate worse than death in terms of turning them into pickles and then putting them in a drawer and forgetting all about them.

And for those who say Rick wouldn't do that, remember he created a device to TURN PEOPLE INTO SNAKES

That device didn'tt turn people into snakes. It vaporized them and then he released a snake from his leg tube.

I don't think he'd ever suck jerry's dick (if anything manipulate/blackmail him into helping), but this whole idea of the universe backfiring on rick surely sounds interesting.

My only concern is that they might fuck it up like they did the seemingly fair "rick acknowledges jerry is right and turns himself in to protect his family because deep down he knows everyone around him ends up hurt and even he has a bit of humanity" season 2 finale with the "PSIKE I TURNED MYSELF IN ON PURPOOOOSE!! NOW THE GOVERMENT AND THE COUNCIL AND JERRY ARE GOOONE MOTHERF****R!!! I'M GENIUS RIIICK!!" season 3 opener. It just feels like even if rick gets his shit backfiring on him after this current season, by the time we get to season 4 they'll twist it around to somehow make it "part of his plan".

>intelligence beyond theirs.
The reasoning the show uses is retarded. Like that one rant Rick gave about chemicals in the brain. It's stupid people trying and failing to write a smart character as Rick proved that love was not only a physical thing, but it could be measured.

You're both wrong. Rick is aware of the hypercrisis. It's explains why he both believes in a creator and believes life is meaningless at the same time.

Summer show sympathy to him so i don't think the show want us to hate him

This.
I sure as shit don't watch this show to feel "intellectually superior" or to tip my fedora.
I watch it for the sci fi adventures of an unhinged sociopath with an inter dimensional portal gun putting his well meaning grandson in more and more fucked up situations because Beth has so many daddy issues that she allows it.
It's like watching a car crash.
Anyone that actually sympathizes in any way with Rick is the same kind of chump that likes the Joker for more than being a great foil for Batman.

The women writers hate men

To be honest, I don't like the idea of someone being a creator of mine, who dictates me what is right and wrong, and then fucks off never to be heard again. That's something aliens or fairies (the original, not the Disney ones) would do for shit and giggles.
In the end of the day, I prefer eternal darkness over eternal servitude.

All they've said so far is that he's going to get his comeuppance.

Asshole characters like Vriska, BBC's Sherlock or basically the entire cast of The Loud House are pretty popular right now.
Apparently a lot of people seem to identify themselves with or see the ideal partner in them.
Rick is merely a child of modern times.

Just get a dazer. No, that is not a misspelling of the word "tazer".
It's a device that makes a fuckton of noise at a frequency humans can't hear.
Dogs fucking hate it.

Is season three airing now? I'll have to check Hulu.

Yeah basically.

To the extent that I identify with asshole characters, I think it's because I dislike myself.

To the extent that I see ideal partners in asshole characters, I think it's because I believe I deserve no better.

Or maybe you just really like assholes?

>Then again most people can't.

I needed a job, and browsed around on Craigslist for an afternoon. Emailed every job that I could reliably transport myself to and was even remotely qualified for by the thinnest stretch of the imagination.

Two days later I was scanning mail and answering phones at a law firm down the street from my house, for $10 an hour.

Jobs are not hard.

And people like Jerry because he's the lease shitty of the bunch.

I did the same thing and was unemployed for a year. Your anecdote does not equate sum total

Agreed. Every situation is different. I spent a fucking year job hunting with a degree in a field hiring like crazy and got nothing, only to get a better job doing something else only marginally related. They won't even hire you for low wage jobs if you're overqualified most of the time.

The idea that you can file papers for 10$ and provide for a family of four is retarded.

It's also besides the point. The opening to season 3 made it obvious that if Jerry does well and Beth doesn't it rattles her inferiority complex. That marriage only vaguely worked if Beth was allowed to dominate to an unhealthy degree.

Wait can anyone actually confirm this? Because if it's ture it kinda sad.

>also dem trips

Which doesn't make sense because opposite of this characterization he put his foot down and told Beth it was him or Rick.

How do you go from directly confronting the issue and laying down the line to spineless?

I'm guessing you missed his 2016 to 2017 comeback?

Cool story time, I played the game the way you were 'supposed' to and used only Monster, CareerBuilder, etc and avoided Craigslist like the plague. Never got a call back.

Started using Craigslist out of desperation.

Virtually all of the jobs I've had in the last ten years have come from answering a Craigslist ad.

Also I job hunted every day for at least three hours per day for six months, wasn't able to find a job until I moved to a crappy town.

/r9k/ opened the eyes for me.
Assholes are all miserable beings, who instead of improving themselves do their best to get everyone else down to their miserable levels.
I used to feel sorry for them, but now all I feel is disgust.

Nigga I'm finally employed but that's only after I did resumes and showed up for interviews and constantly applied for jobs online for 4 months straight and I was rejected practically every time.

Did Dan go through a divorce?