Is there any future for Sonic as a comic, or did the Archie disaster sour the market on the characters...

Is there any future for Sonic as a comic, or did the Archie disaster sour the market on the characters? It doesn't look like people like the new versions introduced in Sonic Boom, so if they make new comics based on that it might bomb.

Or can IDW pull off what Archie failed at?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/893220142569594880
youtu.be/kXszwP3sSKc
sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Ken_Penders'_legal_cases
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Big the Cat solo when?

twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/893220142569594880

Looks like they just got their first creative meeting underway.

do you know who any of these guys are?

Post your collection youtu.be/kXszwP3sSKc

Only one I recognize is Aaron Webber (second on the right, blue shirt, glasses). He runs the social media and PR stuff, including the twitter account.

I hope they bring in the good talent that was on the Archie books. If they let someone like Ian Flynn build it from the ground up it could be great.

I spot Aaron Webber and Iizuka. The black guy on the right is the new editor, Joe Hughes. Chris Ryall, the CCO and Editor in chief is also likely there.

>implying they will let anybody at Archie on board

Penders has pretty much tarnished Archie's reputation

No Ian there.

The guy back there looks like a skinny Jack Black.

>Takashi Iizuka is in there.

Is this just formality or is he actually going to play a big role here?

He stated in an Famitsu interview talking about he and Hoshino are looking closer at everything Sonic's name is on now. That in the past, a lot of things got through with their reluctance, but since they are in America right now, they have a more hands on approach on the brand.

Ian has done stories for IDW and pretty sure some of the artists have done work for them too

Ian seems busy with something called AcademX.

I'm gonna guess he's gonna have a big role. SoJ still decides what's allowed, so he's likely having a big role in the direction.

Is that Kevin Eastman?

Ian has written for and Ben Bates has drawn TMNT.

Yeah, it was Ben I was thinking of, thank you. They should definitely get Ben onboard for a few issues. Dude has that style down

>16 people deciding how a comic is going to be handled.
>0 of which are writers.
Ohhhhh booooooy.

Please name all these people.

Right after you name all of your co-workers :^)

Yeah, I know. "My dad works at Nintendo." 6 faces I've seen before and two people from Sega. The other 8 COULD be writers, I'll grant you, but that's just it. I don't recognize them, and I don't think they'd have untested writers sitting in on such a meeting. We'll see once it goes to print, maybe they're just guys/girls I'm not familiar with.

It's a kickstarter, though, so he might not be.

Why the FUCK would you keep comics in a basket

I wonder if right then they are deciding whether to keep the Freedom Fighters or not.

>Sonic of all things has a diverse crew working on it

1. I can but I'm not doing that on Sup Forums.

2. Saying 0 writers is a pretty big claim. Also honestly it's really not far fetched someone from IDW is lurking around here though. There has been a few in Sup Forums.

This is probably THE big meeting that will probably decide the majority of the book and it's direction. Iizuka is probably the most important person at the table, as he likely gets final decision on everything world, character, and story related going into the book. I think the future of the Archie/cartoon cast will be decided there too, they'll likely bring up the fan response to the Archie cancellation and the characters that could be lost.

I imagine regardless of what lizuka thinks, the legal issues would take presidence. Obviously anything with Penders is verboten. Anythining with even the faintest risk of IP issues with Archie is a no go.

Shouldn't be any issues with any of the characters that appeared after the Pendering happened or survived it

I suppose it'd depend on how the contracts were set up.

I'm pretty sure Sega made sure they locked down Ian's characters so that shit couldn't happen again. Even then, I'm certain Ian has enough sense to not try to pull a Penders.

Honestly, after everything that's happened, never assume. No matter who or what.

you can decide tone and direction without writers.
thats pretty much what the mandates were.

I like that Image but the character art is a mite fuzzy.
Sonic Wallpaper thread?

They don't want to just win. They want to get any case thrown out a the first hearings. And Penders is of course shaking the tree of any friends he has in the industry to get them onboard his insane crusade.

The easiest way to do that is to make as clean of a break as possible.

>any case thrown out a the first hearings

>Archie failed at?

You say that but the sonic comic ran for like 26 years. On a comic that by all accounts shouldn't have lasted for more than 1 this is extremely impressive.

FUCK

They were so close to hitting 300....

You think maybe they could just retain the numbering for the new series? Would Archie care? They agreed to forfeit the license.

That wouldn't feel right. If IDW really is going to start fresh to get away from any risks then they should just start from #0.

It's time for a new #1. Especially if we are starting anew again.

25% female ratio and one black guy who in general looks like he knows what's up, this is the dream team, no bs diversity.

I have high hopes starting from what looks like a non-cucked creative team.

They're all freelance though. Tracey Yardley said that all they need to do is call him to come and he will. They're not tied to any particular company, they just keep bringing them back on particular series', like Archie Sonic.

the thing is the only characters that made it past the Pendering were either very firmly owned by SEGA no matter what direction you look at(such as every character who originated in SATAM) or created by Ian Flynn, whose contacts with Archie were ironclad

Why do you care about this shit when it comes to Sonic?

I could see IDW really pushing for the AoStH and SatAM characters. Their whole bread and butter is making as many references to the nooks and crannies of the series they license, I can't see them ignoring the built in fanbase the Freedom Fighters have.

IS that a good thing or a bad thing?

I don't want the comic just to be "Sonic,Tails, Knuckles and Amy fight Eggman in self-contained battles each issue."

Won't matter if SEGA says no.

I many not be a lifelong fan of the comics, in fact I recently learned of them, but I can want the next iteration to be actually good?

Then maybe look up what the people in that pic have worked on?

They let Archie use them. Imagine the wonders a competent company could do.

We'll see. I don't foresee SEGA keeping them around, at least in the way they were, with this chance to have a new direction.

If Sega wanted to put the kibosh on the Freedom Fighters, why wouldn't they have done it during the Nu252?

>We'll see. I don't foresee SEGA keeping them around, at least in the way they were, with this chance to have a new direction.
I feel the opposite is more likely, SEGA only got so hardass with Archie during it's last decade with them because of all the screwups they had, besides you can't really do anything meaningful comics wise with just the game only characters, especially if you're one of the morons who think it should only be the core 4-6 characters who appear

IIRC, they did. Archie fought to keep them and SEGA gave in.

Doesn't that mean if IDW fought enough they could still be used in the comics?

It's possible, I just don't think it's likely. SEGA has always treated Archie Sonic very weirdly in that it's there, they allowed it to be there (until they canned it), but they gave very little mention or love to it. The thing they did love was Mega Drive, which only featured game characters.

Ian's also made mention on his podcast that SEGA isn't keen on giving attention to old Sonic properties and rather would focus on what is current with representing Sonic, which the Archie/cartoon universe doesn't do and the fact that the FFs lasted as long is surprising.

I find it hard to think that SEGA wouldn't take this opportunity to make a book with their vision of Sonic in mind for better or for worse and I don't think the Archie cast makes the cut.

No that's no good. Have to judge based on their skin tone and genitalia.

I don't think IDW would put up quite the same fight. The Archie folks had worked with the FF characters for ages, so it's not surprising that they fought hard to keep them. With IDW I imagine it being more like
>hey can we use Sally and all them?
>No, we'd rather just leave that in the past
>okay

>We lost Scourge
>We lost Shard
>We lost Mina
I won't lose Sally and Nicole.

I guess it hinges on whether or not SEGA will stick to their guns with game characters not receiving character growth. If they do, they need the FF, because a long term narrative is unsustainable otherwise.

IDW could just make their own characters if SEGA wants to leave the cartoon past behind. Iizuka and crew are there, so said characters could be made under their guidance.

>Ian's also made mention on his podcast that SEGA isn't keen on giving attention to old Sonic properties and rather would focus on what is current with representing Sonic
the problem is while that works for videogames, and even Boom to an extent, it just wouldn't work for a long term comic

>I guess it hinges on whether or not SEGA will stick to their guns with game characters not receiving character growth. If they do, they need the FF, because a long term narrative is unsustainable otherwise.
exactly, or at least OCs in important roles

Well with Sonic Forces having a OC maker, they could throw in new characters.

Y'all ignoring the possibility that SEGA doesn't want a long running story like Archie did. We could just be getting stories that don't advance a bigger plot and are just standalone.

>Y'all ignoring the possibility that SEGA doesn't want a long running story like Archie did. We could just be getting stories that don't advance a bigger plot and are just standalone.
that would die in less than a year, gag comics just don't sell anymore

Of course i'm gonna subscribe to it, I'm sure it'll be great

>I could see IDW really pushing for the AoStH and SatAM characters.

>IDW: Hey, can we use these characters?
>Sega: No
>IDW: Oh ok

>the problem is while that works for videogames, and even Boom to an extent, it just wouldn't work for a long term comic
>If they do, they need the FF, because a long term narrative is unsustainable otherwise.

The FF are redundant nowadays though. Don't forget they were created at a time where the only characters were Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and to a lesser extent Amy.
Just look at the OP image, they have many characters to have stories with and flesh out more.
Sonic is a game series first and foremost, Sega will want to focus on the game aspects. Not to mention that SoJ fucking hated satAM and for the longest time refused to acknowledge it's existence.
There is a lot that can be done in terms of fleshing out existing characters, I dunno if you guys are just biased fans of the comics or something, but there is no reason why using the video game assets wouldn't work.

They are also really picky with Sonic as an IP lately, they barely focus on anybody who isn't sonic or tails because of the backlash people had against featuring anybody but sonic in past games. If they're unwilling to focus on series staple characters, what makes you think some donut steels from a cartoon that died 20 years ago (and they already wanted to get rid of during the archie reboot) are going to make the cut?
The FF aren't as loved as you might think either. Sure the archie comic fans like them, but to the other 95% of the fanbase they don't care about them at all. Look at how well megadrive did (the best selling issue of the comic ever). You think Sega won't notice a strict game adaption was the best selling issue of the comic in it's entirety?
The odds are far too stacked against the FF. With all of this and a hard reboot, I'm willing to put money on them being dead forever.

Also, you're assuming IDW even wants the FF/Archie assets. Maybe they want to do their own take on Sonic.

Boom was a one and done failure, itd be crazy to make a comic about it

>mfw Sonic Boom came out in Japan this July
>mfw everyone has loved it so far

its possible that if this does well enough they'd eventually go back to the Archie story if they are able.
IDW has done it with other properties they own like TF and GI Joe

>They don't want to just win. They want to get any case thrown out a the first hearings.

Let's make this clear again.

Penders lost against Sega. He lost hard. His case got summarily fucking dismissed and had he tried it again he would have been destroyed by them.

Penders won a lawsuit against ARCHIE. Sega wasn't involved in that one.

not to mention thats not what IDW is known for. That'd be like partnering up with Platinum to revive and action series but making it a tower defense

>Penders won a lawsuit against ARCHIE
he also won on a technicality caused by Archie own incompetence

They should get Flynn, give him classic Sonic and do what he did with Sonic Mega Drive.

No strings attached, no mandates.

If everyone in this thread doesn't buy at least 50 copies of Mania, your mother will get cancer and die in the next 3 months.

And if anyone here purchases even a single copy of Forces, i'm going to find out where you live and literally beat the everloving shit out of you.

What's wrong with the Forces? It looks like it's at least everything Sonic Generation did right so far.

Making one of the antagonists an OC edgelord is 10/10

Is there a list of characters that are in limbo because of Penders? I mean, even if IDW manage to make a agreement with Archie for the characters

sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Ken_Penders'_legal_cases

>244 characters
That one time when piling up shit ton of useless nonsense characters with little distinguishable features for no fucking reason actually paid off.

>IDW manage to make an agreement with Archie for the characters

What did they agree with? Ownership of Satam characters?

I don't know. It feels like if they keep the Freedom Fighters, it'd be a bad case of misdirection writing-wise.

This was a hypothetical scenario to avoid confusion in my question because all the archie characters are probably in limbo

Thanks. I'll miss Mina

Ow, the edge.

There's no hope for future comics if Sega kept the mandate that Sonic can't lose and can't show emotions. All of IDW's licensed properties are rooted in the idea that the good guys don't always win and sometimes get very badly fucked up, and without that they cannot do anything but recycle the same "Sonic fights Eggman and destroys his robot" plot eternally.

Is there any reason why the japanese Sega team is autistic about not understanding that most Sonic fans are fans of the "western" version?

He can have emotions. He's just not supposed to bawl his eyes out.

>No Ian

I think he isn't doing much comic work since he has a full time job in animation. Which is a shame, but he is doing a cariant cover for issue 75 of TMNT. He has also deleted all social media stuff such as twitter, deviantart and his tumblr.

Shit. The last thing a new Sonic comic needs is the Japs exerting their bland influence on it.
I was really hoping Sega would just let IDW work their magic and fuck off.

I really want Penders and his z-list friends to try shit with Sega and get their assholes aerated.

Shut up Boco

That would be weird given its a reboot, but they could do it.
People don't seem to understand how licensing works. Archie has NO POWER in this situation anymore. Like Archie has absolutely zero influence going forward. They can't reprint their old material, they don't own their old characters, they have nothing. They might as well not exist from here on out.
Other than the Penders stuff, the Archie Sonic comics now effectively belong to IDW.

>He has also deleted all social media stuff such as twitter, deviantart and his tumblr.

Why would he do that?

Dustin Weaver said that Ben felt that he needed to be "free". It might also be related to the Rocksteady is a skinhead sympathizer thing? But that was a small blip on the radar, so I don't think that's it.

No matter how deeply you indulge yourself in these nostalgia projects, you will never feel the happiness you had as a child again.

The Archie comic fans are why the comic lasted as long as it did. Their removal will surely lead to alot of them dropping the comic and its not a guarantee that the rest of the Sonic fanbase will replace those lost readers.

Also while Sonic does have a bigger cast than he did in the 90s, I'm skeptical about their ability to be stable characters instead of arc characters. If not the FF, I can see IDW wanting their own OCs made to fill out Sonic's usual haunts.

>all the archie characters are probably in limbo
Archie doesn't own anything. Penders owns what he owns and Sega has everything else. Archie never "owned" any aspect of Sonic or the OCs they created, Sega just allowed them to use the property.