Did Samurai Jack set the bar for cartoon revivals?

Did Samurai Jack set the bar for cartoon revivals?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/rfDZy9b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah and it set it fairly low.

No.

>give it 10 episodes and a waifu and it'll do fine

I hope so, but also for action western cartoons.

O MY AKU POWERS

It started with way too much momentum to be able to live up to what it was promising us. Adult or child oriented, the core of the show's writing itself is too formulaic and cliche to have expected too much else.

I'm sure they could have done better, absolutely.

However, all the same, yes I think it set a positively decent threshold for revivals if nothing else. As
said, I think the waifu element was unnecessary, though I didn't hate it entirely.

That whole thing reeked of the writers having no clue how to conclude the story.

Painted into a corner with no option but to walk through the paint and hope the floor still looks good.

Man shut the fuck up. It's makes sense that Aku's half demon spawn can use his powers.

Nobody else reply to this post.

No but it set the new shit standard for how a series finale should be written

alright boss

I've never watched the show but yeah, that makes sense.

Dubs of Truth, Genndy is a hack

First few episodes were fantastic. Shame about that final episode though, good god.

Call me Beta-Prime

It would have been fine if they had foreshadowed it slightly more. The only indication she isn't completely human is when the guy in the robot suit starts to stretch her limbs slightly and later on you learn her clothes weren't actually rubber/latex whatever.

What about the time that she showed super strenght and took an entire army with her own hands?

I hope people learned from the good stuff that came from SJ 5, because jesus christ did they drop the ball later on.
On the other hand, it turned out to be a pretty fun conversation piece

Here's a simple yet effective ending:

>Jack is captured and about to be executed
>Allies attack to free him
>Epic battle ensues
>Jack gets free and tries to free Ashi
>Jack frees her with heartfelt love confession
>Jack, Scotsman, and Ashi attack Aku in an epic tri attack and defeat him
>Ashi survives but has no powers
>cut to wedding and blah blah blah wedding reception blah blah blah first dance blah blah blah Stereo Love blah blah blah tender kiss to fade out while paying tribute to Mako and one last Wacha

>pointing out the obvious is bait
Holy shit, are you for real?

I'll take my Emmy now

Almost as bad as what we actually got. Off yourself.

You first edgelord

No. It doesn't.

Here's an ending for you:
>Jack uses the Guardian's portal and returns to the past to undo the future that is Aku
Or is that too bold and "out there" for a cartoon?

Those are some low standards you have there.

How doesn't it?

There's a fault in your logic: Aku destroyed it.

Best Waifu coming through

Discord
discord.gg/rfDZy9b

She's part human but has ALL of Aku's powers including a time travel beam.

>we will never have another good Samurai Jack thread thanks to Season 5
>we will never be able to talk about the good things present in the series without Sup Forums shitters reeing about how the ending was the worst thing ever and Ashi was a Mary Sue and etc
>we will never be able to discuss Genndy Tartakovsky without autists taking every opportunity to remind us of how he was a hack who ruined childhoods forever and ever and should have his career destroyed over it

I feel sorry for the people that actually had Samurai Jack as their favorite tv show before Season 5 happened. Before the show gained a "fanbase" and everything that entails. Back when it was just one of those shows like Darkwing Duck that didn't get many threads because everyone just kind of agreed it was good with some bad moments but not enough to spoil it, and you can't have much discussion if everyone agrees with each other.
And before you fucks sperg out at me, no, I don't think Season 5 was perfect, and yes, I thought the ending could have been done better.
That's now what I'm saying.

You post in literally every Samurai Jack thread with the same shit.

Stop.

Just gonna throw this out here, hating this is a meme and the only reason Sup Forums had issues is because they didn't understand the point of this in the framework of Samurai Jack. Season 5 was excellent and the haters have shit taste aka "muh nia" syndrome

>You don't understand why it was so good
>It was actually excellent
Oh boy.

>Stop pointing out facts REEE

Not an argument. Just because you didn't get what you want doesn't make it bad. Learn to consume art.

what a shitty post

The revival was already having issues by that point, but THAT was the moment it all completely fell apart,
Over 15 years of waiting, and that was how he got back. He killed the Guardian off-screen for it too.

why do you think i even come to Sup Forums except for the SJ threads

user i really don't want to use the banhammer in the chat today. Quit inviting shitposters

Have a reply my friend, you seem hungry. Within the context of the Jack series this season's episodes miss the mark of what makes Jack a good watch.

When the hell is that dvd coming out? I don't think anyone has a clue on what the production was like; I don't even know if the ten episode format was Genndys choice or not

Still haven't produced a point.

It makes complete sense and quite a few people theorized it would happen.

The Gainax Ending is a hack writer's tell. Its the last result of a shitty writer.

If you're referring to the slow and artful execution of simple premises, yes this isn't the same thing.

It couldn't have been with the story it wanted to tell, the story was a framework for all the oldschool episodes, this was payoff of that framework not more of the same.

To advertise your Discord? I don't know, do it somewhere else.

no because im looking for like minded people to talk SJ with.

If you wanted to do that you wouldn't advertise your Discord here.

Okay, then let me blow your mind with an alternative:
What if Aku didn't destroy it, for any number of reasons?

Everything after the first three episode was trash.

Well, she's half Aku.

And aku "awakened" the part of him inside her, and basically took control of her body turning into that tall slender creature that not only looked like Aku but moved like he did too.

So yeah, it made sense.

Highly unlikely since it would bite him in the ass if one portal existed

No examples.

Also aside from PSG every Gainax ending made the show, Gunbuster's last 5 mins, Eva's last two episodes, FLCL's "I Love You", TTGL's last episode and resolution of Simon's arc etc all make the series.

First off TTGL didn't piss off half a board since Nia was a shit love interest. Secondly Eva is a complete shit show.

As expected, that taste is just embarrassing

It's not that she can use Aku's powers. It's that she can use Aku's powers better and faster than Aku himself.

Well this IS Sup Forums

I know everyone says the first three episodes were great, but what was so bad about Episodes 4 and 5?

Episode 5 ended weakly, but I think those two were more or less fine as they were. They hadn't even introduced the forced romantic angle by that point.

>Did Samurai Jack set the bar for cartoon revivals?
Well, what are the other contenders?

I don't see how this conclusion could be reached, but whatever, it was really great.

ok sure thing bro

How was it forced?

Making sense doesn't make it any less obnoxiously rushed. It comes entirely out of left field, and is treated like through a "just go with it" lens. The pacing and utilization kills any and all satisfaction of Jack finally achieving his goal.

>Episodes 1 - 4: They hate each other.
>Episode 5: They lighten up to each other.
>Episode 6 and 7: Jack and Ashi barely interact beyond trading exposition and both episodes end with awkward compliments from both.
>Episode 8: Suddenly they're making out and freaking out about touching hands.

It sure set the bar high as fuck in the first three episodes, i was so fucking hyped after each one of them ended more so that anything i can recall in recent memory

4 and 5 were good too, 4 had a lot of great visuals and a look into who jack is now and 5 had the most world building of the entire season

After that though, a lot of different things happened that made me less exited and the incredibly rushed romance that happened in the last three episodes really killed it for me, and the finale tied ends up so quickly and with such a mary sue concept that it disappointed me

Season 5 started off at the top of the mountain, but then it started climbing down and in the end it completely fell off and started tumbling down

The goal is supposed to be bittersweet. Jack getting what he wants both puts an end to a show we love and the setting and characters we loved about it.

Reckless ambition destroys what you love. Ashi taught Jack to appreciate the trees and the ladybugs.

Dropping the bar on the ground where any retard can walk over it still counts as setting it, user, be more specific next time

Shaggyfag is dat you?!

Bittersweet isn't the same as disappointment. Bittersweet is feeling satisfaction yet still sorrow on some emotional level. Rushing the fuck out of the time travel isn't bittersweet, it's laziness and a lack of foresight. Jack had to get back to the past, but the way it was done was awful.

*Dean Martin plays in the distance*

You were disappointed because you had your own version in your head and this wasn't it.

Everything made sense and payed off in terms of character arcs, thematically it is rock tight.

>You were disappointed because you had your own version in your head and this wasn't it.
Atleast try you blubbering tard

>you didn't like it because it didn't happen how you wanted it

I've seen this fucking pathetic excuse tossed around so much that it's become rather sad. People rarely get disappointed because the show wasn't played out how they dreamed it would be: They're disappointed because it's not good.

Why was every thread filled with autistic fan written versions of events ending happily ever after then?

Hell this thread has a few. You just didn't get it I guess, that sucks because I had a blast with this.

Yeah the way ashi took back jack pissed me off a lot
>suddenly aware you can use incredible powers you had for your entire life but never used once
>can immediately use them to such an effect you can bend time itself without any practice of implied effort
It just seems cheap, like they had to figure out how to make sure ashi was vital in getting jack back in time so she could go and have her last scene with him

At no point was it ever even implied ashi would be the way for jack to go back in time, jack just resigned himself to the fact that there were no more time portals and that he was stuck in the future forever, that was a huge part of the season, and it was all thrown away in the last episode
Jack didn't go after aku hoping to find a way back home anymore, he just wanted to stop him, going back in time wasnt a possibility for him until the very last minute when suddenly ashi has all of akus powers

I'm glad you were able to put your standards down so low that you could enjoy something
>You just didn't get it I guess
Post disregarded, atleast attempt to not act like a smug tween

>no u tier comeback
>ad hominem age accusations
Spoken like an actual child, I pity you.

>You were disappointed because you had your own version in your head and this wasn't it.

If the ending wasn't complete shit I wouldn't have to write a Prohibition era elseworld series to vent my frustration and prove Genndy is a hack writer

keep fapping to those cimp-shi pics, nigger

Ahaha, it's true!

Episodes 4 and 5 were alright but pretty average, they didn't have the tension and excitement of 2 and 3 or the laughs of 1.

>It's that she can use Aku's powers better and faster than Aku himself.
How? She didn't do one thing better than Aku could. If you're talking about the fight with Jack he was being forced to hold back the whole time, and the time travel stuff was her doing it the moment she realized she could. There was absolutely no reason for her to wait to do it.

>oh look some people inevitably tried writing a better version of the ending, look guys this helps my case

The majority is still far and fucking away people complaining about S5 due to horrid pacing, incredibly poor characterization, anticlimactic character arc conclusions on all levels (Mad Jack, Omen, Guardian, Aku say hi), an incredibly rushed and cringy romance, and more. People trying to write a better ending would barely exist if the original ending doesn't suck monkey cock, and even then, they're still in the minority to people just not liking S5 due to objectively poor quality across the board, rather than because it didn't match up to their imagination.

Careful user, he might call you a edgelord or some other buzzword faggots keep tossing around in these threads

>faggots

Careful user, you'll destroy that glass house you call home

Shaddup faggot

You're just playing baseball now

Yes. And then lowered it drastically.

Am I?

Yes. Yes you are.

really makes me think

Makes me think you're homeless now that you destroyed that glass house

I have a couple left if you want them

At this rate you'll just retcon yourself out of existence

Not if my collection has anything to say about that

>IS THAT A CHALLENGE FOOOOOLISH SON IN LAW?!

We need to hear the director's commentary on these episodes. It's a must.

Aku can't be his father in law if he never married his deus ex machina, show hogging daughter