The Phantom

What does Sup Forums think of The Phantom?

He's a spirited guy.

So much purple, that he should be considered a terror that flaps in the night.

An alright concept but can be good if given the right treatment.

He's alright

I'd probably care more if he was in a city or something.

I liked that movie

He was the first one

That's it

To be honest I always feel like "The Phantom is great" is kind of a Sup Forums meme. What are the essential Phantom comics I should read?

I like him considerably less than I do other pulp heroes like The Shadow, The Spider and the Rocketeer, but I still like him. I used to read them in the comic book store my friend's grandpa had.
I respect him for being the first superhero in tights and for somehow never, in his entire history, being removed from them.
And the movie was pretty fun.

>I always feel like "The Phantom is great" is kind of a Sup Forums meme
I don't think you understand what a meme is
If The Phantom being good was a Sup Forums meme this thread would have more replies by now.

This is a pretty good post
(You)

I remember watching his cartoon as a kid, but I don't know anything beyond that.

I mean more that I think people talk about The Phantom on Sup Forums without having read any of it sometimes.

I'm swedish, so I think he's pretty fucking rad.

His lore is cool and he's a national treasure in Scandinavia.

I read recently that they were gonna prepare to phase out the 21st Phantom in order to give way to his kids? Did that ever come to pass?

I do believe he started the pupil-less mask craze

He's awesome as fuck but not talked about enough because he isn't as popular in America like he is here in Australia or Europe.

The movie is great and accurate too and people shit on it for no reason.

I really like him, but I don't think he works in a modern day setting which is a problem.

If it were upto me I'd have him on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Lost World/Savage Lands/Dinosaur Island type timeless island. Where all kinds of people/things from across time and space end up.

>people shit on it for no reason.
It's just old and the purple suit makes him look goofy. It's totally accurate but movie audiences don't go for accurate.

I have years and years of my dead dad's B&W collection, I'm pretty sure I've read through most of it at one point or another. Apart from the good comics I love them for the fact that they let me find other stuff like jeremiah and spirit. Anthology mags in general are pretty good imo.

I think I actually storytimed one of the Bacon & Egg stories from Herman Hedning in these threads

I never read Herman Hedning reguraly, but Bacon & Egg was a pretty cool strip. Good times.

Bacon & Egg was more or less what I read it for, aswell as some of the french guest strips, Patrik Norrman does some good stuff.

Did you ever read the Bacon & Egg magazine?

Well, I can't think of any other superhero who gets his face painted on shields that Southeast Asian island tribes carry to war, so he's pretty damn cool in my book.

Fucking rad

I think The Ghost Who Walks is a fucking amazing title to have.

Same here, well mostly my dad likes him as he used to collect phantom comics and swedish editions of DC and Marvel comics. Sadly he had to sell them in order to buy a new guitar for his band during the 80s. 3 years ago we found a omnibus like collection of The Phantoms earliest adventures, don't think its worth that much though since its a translated edition.

Nope, pretty short-lived wasn't it? Anyway, I used to read Larson! before they lost the license. A lot of shitty comics, but overall pretty good.

Why does he spank little girls?

Yeah, love his cartoon and hot exgirlfriend

Its a joke for those autistic anons that wont get it

FUCK, forgot the fucking picture

commits sudoku

In Dutch, he has one of the coolest descriptors.

"De Geest die wandelt"

>tfw dad loved phantom when he was growing up in small town india.
>he got to know it was a swedish cartoon when I showed this thread to him.

Being accurate to the source material doesn't necessarily make it a good movie. The casting was shit, the acting was shit, and the story was boring.

It's a newspaper pulp comic that's been going on for decades. Most people generally aren't going to be able to list a specific section for you to look for unless they're from the countries where Phantom was at Batman level.
Most people that agree it's good have read it in the newspaper at some point and liked what they were reading.
Unfortunately pulpy characters have trouble transitioning to more popular media nowadays.

Blue > Purple > Grey.

Another user here- My dad collected tons of Serie-paraden, but my favorite was my uncle's Larson. Those ran Ernie / Pirahna Club too, right?

>When the virtue of a lady tanks, the Phantom spanks.
>Old jungle saying.

You'd think with the rising popularity of capeshit tv the Phantom would have a shot of getting a brand new live action show. As long as they didn't try to modernize the goofy aspects of it like that shitty mini-series did some years ago.

I think he's pretty cool, I loved his movie and that got me into reading his comics.

I saw this while browsing on Amazon, anybody read these Avalon pocket books? Apparently there's fifteen in total and they're coming out bi-monthly.

I will be sad when there's no longer 10 tigers to compare his strength to.

It's him, Captain America and the Punisher. Pretty respectable company.

Right, I remember Punisher too now. I didn't know about Captain America. Phantom was the one that really stuck out for me though.

Cap is a recent one. I guess they saw the movie.

Punisher is just a skull, and they've always been popular.

Swede here - I think every boy growing up here had a phase of being into the Phantom. He's very stylish, especially if you're twelve, and pulp as fuck. Two guns, a tame wolf, a sick-ass skull cave with loot and chronicles, a tribe of loyal pygmies. He literally brands band guys with the mark of evil when he punches them, so that everybody will know they're Bad Guys. He's kinda like Batman, only with less gadgets and more international.

The purple suit looks ridiculous though, blue all the way.

It mostly boils down to Lee Falk's daily strips and the Scandinavian, 'Team Fantomen' productions. The latter are largely self-contained quest-of-the-month adventures and you can read most of them in any order you like.

He's pretty much Jungle Batman, with the quirk that he will kill if he must.

Funny how The Phantom appears to be really popular on most corners of the globe except America

What are your thoughts on Doc Savage ?

The ghost who walks?

He makes good music, wish he came back though.

I liked it when I was a kid which probably makes me the target audience.

There are jokes too be made about it but I fear it would summon those who would shit up the thread.

>There are jokes too be made

*There are jokes to be made

Savage is one of the most dull pulp characters I've ever seen. He's a sanctimonious assclown and I don't understand why would anyone like him. I can see why he was so popular as an escapist character back then but he holds no value outside of that. He is one of the reasons why the term "pulpy" is used as a negative critique of something.
I think people who accuse Superman of being a boring Mary Sue should actually read his comics and take a good look at Doc Savage to see what a boring Mary Sue actually looks like.