2000AD Storytime: Mazeworld

On Thursday we read Mazeworld Book One. Today we read Mazeworld Book Two!

First thread: This'll be a shorter storytime so feel free to post images and, as ever, storytiming can be kinda boring so talk a bit.

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thanks for this OP.

Re-reading this myself has really made me appreciate the panel composition: the decision to lengthen and widen the panels going down the page here is an example.

Arthur Ranson seems so confident with limited space! I keep coming back to this page too boards.Sup Forums.org/co/thread/94385002/#p94385145 which I think is almost perfectly composed.

I don't think, ultimately, the writing in Mazeworld reaches the same level as the art. But these first 3 pages are basically the core idea of it to some extent.

This is another great page.

No problem, glad someone's reading.

Mazeworld's NPCs(?) definitely come from your stock fantasy mish-mash.

I guess we know Flayr's kink.

The border mazing here is a recurring element.

Ranson doesn't skimp on backgrounds; it makes for a great sense of space.

Louise Brooks a little obvious there.

Ranson understands how much impact switching scale can have in comics too.

>1v1 me bro

>next prog: tentacles!

F

dat's nice

God's work bringing 2000AD to the unwashed Sup Forumsmrades of Amerika.

These scientists have mastered Hollywood exposition.

I actually find quite a lot of anons here are fans of Judge Dredd at least, or some other 2000AD strip. Judge user is obviously a very knowledgeable guy.

I meant to do Mazeworld a long time ago, but I was only reminded of it after another user mentioned reading Button Man.

I wish I could do that

i'm guessing adam and the dark man are two sides of the one personality currently in a coma in the real world

pretty interesting stuff from 2000AD as always

I wonder what happened to the giant woman.

Adam got swole.

We're nearing the end for tonight.

I love the maze imagrey throughout the story. Really ties everything together.

END

Thanks for reading. Back soon-ish, probably on Wednesday to finish this off.

Thanks for posting this OP.

There's a lot of obvious tarot referencing throughout the story as well - The Hanged Man, The Emperor, Strength, The Devil. Someone with more knowledge of that might be able to comment in more detail.

Quick, someone get Rachel Pollack on the line

The fall from the cliff could also suggest imagrey from The Fool, who Cadman is most likley to represent outside the obvious Hanged Man connection, though that may be overthinking it.

I think Alan Grant was definitely in a Rachel Pollack kinda place when he wrote this one.

>protagonist
>not using a sword

excellent op

and the 3rd book will be out in 1999 - that's hardly any time left at all

will you be storytiming it then?

The Tower and reversals are on the go as well.

Thanks OP

Amazing share, thanks OP. Buying a digital copy of this through 2000AD thanks to you.

thanks OP

hoo boy, what Prog is this from?

also, bump

You think it's a regular ass bordering, and then suddenly a dozen more lines all over the place.

Think I'd like it more if it had an exit though.

>Dat Jesus Pose

>What the fuck does that me-
>I don't know either

Haigh, what the fuck?

>What
>the hell
>are you doing
>to me

Unethical brain surgery, mostly.

It's got very heavy shades of Steven R. Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - minus the protag raping an innocent girl within hours of arriving in the new world.

Good call on Louise, I would have guessed Cabaret-style Liza Minnelli (which was probably based off Brooks)

HELL YEAH OPS BACK! THANKS

That might be it desu.

"Spoon" is one word you never want to hear during brain surgery

"Fuck you, I'm a leper."

>>I eagerly anticipate the 2000AD mega collection books

They'll no doubt have this

I don't think Mazeworld has been in print for a long time.

I don't see Mazeworld in the cover art but it could still be in there. Seriously tempted to subscribe regardless.

Mazeworld is creator-owned, right? They'd have to pay Grant and Ranson for any reprints. Which would be 100% totally worth it, of course.

Rebellion aren't asses about that kinda thing, usually, right? Still don't see it anywhere on the horizon.

They were a bit dickish about it early on, but lately they've been doing better. For a couple of years now they've been running creator-owned series in the Megazine. So yeah, hopefully it happens. Judging by that spine art they're gonna need a *lot* of material, and Mazeworld should fit nicely in one volume. Hope springs eternal.

I guess that would be between them and Hatchette. Same for Button Man, Scarlet Traces and any other creator owned stuff that comes up.

>Button Man
Well, they did actually reprint that one quite recently, so if they could do that I'm sure they could do Mazeworld too. So there's that.

>Scarlet Traces
Man, that is the absolute weirdest case I've seen: the creators actually sold the rights back to Rebellion. IIRC, they were having trouble reprinting it, so they themselves offered the rights, including the sequels that are getting published in the progs right now. Weird stuff, they talked about it on the thrillcast a while back.

>Dante accidentally interrupting a Nemesis anf Torquemeda fight attempting to avoid an ass grab from Ro-Jaws

This art is great.

Get bumped.