So does anyone know of any shows where everything is normal and cutesy but starts to slowly devolve into some sort of...

So does anyone know of any shows where everything is normal and cutesy but starts to slowly devolve into some sort of weird fucking eldritch nightmare or a show with lovecraftian themes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TrgxHDoe8gA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Narutaru

the only show with lovecraftian themes that I know of is Haiyore! Nyaruko-san but that's an anime so

>Google it
>Its from the Bokurano guy
Well shit, I belive you

That fucking manga gave me nightmares as a kid.

Isnt that the anime where the girl gets raped and then her rapist gets raped by a monster?

You mean like every modern cartoon that thinks it's being cutting-edge with their "lore"?

>anime.txt

Yeah, god forbid people do something other that the same two tv cartoon plots and make the media evolve. We might even risk eventually getting the lovecraft show that OP wants.

I thought this was a Naruto joke.

Then I looked it up. What the fuck?

I'm not saying lore is a bad thing, it's just that every cartoon seems to be doing this in the last few years. Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Star, SU; they're all doing this "hey what if this innocent looking show did something dark, wouldn't that be revolutionary?" thing.

Cartoon wise I can't really recall anything.

The closest we got on TV was basically Mabel Falls and the resident demon was basically a frat God if anything, they failed really hard in the punchline there.

This is your best bet for Anime, I could also point Madoka but it is mostly bait and switch in the Magical girl genre by the butcher and recent Centaur no Nayami is case of autistic world building of the entertaining kind going right, it's basically a love letter to mountain of madness on some elements yet they bait you with literal horse pussy and 3 girls checking each other, to this day I firmly believe the author didn't have the slightest idea of what to write so he did wathever he wanted there, and it turned out glorious.

Anime and manga does cute into Lovecraftian shit very well, censorship and the need to pander to certain groups leave modern stuff short in that department.

Well, AT was the only one who did it with the intentions you wrote. SU's first season was literally just tone setting before they could get the heavy stuff in, GF was always meant to be mysterious, and as for Star, it's not even dark, it's standard magical girl fare, which fits the show's premise.

Try Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated

I mean, it's not the "horror, blood-cult, tentacle beasts' part of Lovecraft that we like to think of, but it's definitely the 'Ultraviolet light invites waveform demons from other dimensions, my girlfriend's been replaced by a space alien' sort of Lovecraft that I've grown to love the man for.

To be honest most magical girl shows do have some fucked up elements where they fight an ancient evil or an emotion personified, it goes with the territory. Well at least the ones centered about fighting or selling merchandise, last PreCure season started with Orcus on a Throne that went mad trying to stop an ancient deity from destroying everything, the catch was that he ended up becoming a "Lich" that absorbed magic in an attempt to obtain a trinket that could help solve the enigma but in his quest to get it he speeded up the revival process, and somehow that was quite a tame season.

youtube.com/watch?v=TrgxHDoe8gA

If we count that we should also count hyper monkey team.

It's mostly a monster of the day series but once it goes dark it goes deep, I can't say if it started cute and got dark or was always dark, Skeleton king leaves one heck of a first impression.

You haven't seen the ending. It's the most fucked up shit I've ever seen in a manga.

Tell me more.

user, theres a difference between cosmic horror and "oh no my mothers dead"

Bokurano was a better read.

It's kinda like End of Evangelion, but more fucked up. Mankind is so fucked up that the MC commands Earth itself to bitchslap everyone to death, leaving only the MC and someone else alive. The manga ends with a boy and a girl in a desolated Earth.

Gravity Falls

This, cosmic horror by virtue gives zero fuck about humanity it's mostly a force that existed since before the dawn of man arrived and will continue to exist long before humanity is gone, it's supposed to be a bizarre entity that can't be explained nor stopped by human means.

People really need to draw the line in between the roots of cosmic horror and shock value narrative.

Eh I dunno, Bill stops being cool and scary when you find out he's just an intergalactic criminal and not an all powerful god-like being from an unreachable dimension that just likes fucking with humans similar to Nyarlathotep.

This but 60% less cool.

I can't believe they fucked Bill concept so hard.

The "Narutu" meme is the main reason I have to call it Shadow Star when talking about it with other people, or they assume I'm talking about Naruto.

Happy tree friends
Adventure time

gore doesnt count as Lovecraftian, user.

What is that some kind of romance novile?

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated. Watch it. You will thank me later. It's exactly what you're looking for.

It's also surprisingly good to boot.