How do you feel about cartoons inspired by anime? Do westerns pull it off well?

How do you feel about cartoons inspired by anime? Do westerns pull it off well?

The west does anime better than Japan

Sometimes it can be done right, but most of the time is done in very awful way.

Castlevania was some good shit. Better than any anime I've seen in a while.

All the shows in that pic are garbage, but cartoons were never good anyway

The problem is that the people inspired by anime are also the kind of people who play ukuleles and have bits about teenage drama.

fpbp

ahahhaa

only good parts was the first part with dracula, the cyclops fight and the alucard fight

everything else was dragged on garbage

At times, yea the west does it pretty well. I just watched Castlevania today, and I thought it was a really good mix of not only western and eastern animation styles, but also a good mix of both action with comedic timing.

Meanwhile Steven Universe kind of fucking sucks with anime influence. Just shoves in some references here and there and thinks anime crying is the key to story telling.

>I thought it was a really good mix of not only western and eastern animation styles, but also a good mix of both action with comedic timing.

Well you thought wrong

I like it when creators take influence in art or concept from anime without trying to mimic their humor or acting. I think pic related does a better job at taking inspiration from magical girl shows than something like Steven Universe or Teen Titans. Star VS. still feels very inspired by 90's anime without resorting to sweatdrops or typical camera angles you see in anime.

I guess what I mean is that a lot of the time, those shows seem like they want to "be" anime rather than being inspired by anime.

It's a pretty thin line. Look at something like RWBY, which basically just copies anime tropes without even really understanding them, and compare it to something like Star vs. or SU where they actually try to use the tropes in their own way.

Only Ben 10 Omniverse and Transformers Animated did it right. Shows like SU just copy-paste shit in a forced way.

A mix bag and depends heavily on the show. OK KO is probably the show that pulls it off the best. At the very least it's a vast improvement on the "faux-anime" trend of the early 2000s.

So what show does anime influence the worst? I know Sup Forums likes to shit on RWBY, and I think it's pretty bad too, but I think the award still goes to Canada.

>look at me look at me, Im so cool and non-conformitive.

I have seen some shit bait but you couldn't even fully comit.

>ok ok inspired by anime
It's inspired by chowder and street fighter more than anything

Isn't ladybug Anime? That thing has freaking Toei in the credits.

You don't get more anime than that unless Kadokawa is making big bucks out of your merchandise.

No really, They mostly left any creative involvement when the other partners decided to use CG 3D animation.

They still took heavy part on the production, it really feels like Anime.

Isn't it a French cartoon?

Is it me, or did the character designer's art improve?

When you stop trying to imitate shitty anime designs, your work tends to shine.

>steven universe
>inspired by
a few references don't make something inspired by it, it's as far from anime and as much cartoon as it can get

Star Vs is literally "I only watched Sailor Moon as a kid" the show it only takes a few visual cues and not much else meanwhile SU and TT were made by people who understands anime for the most part right down to how its animated and how the stories are told. Its less about "wanting to be" and more about showing off your powerlevel. If SU and TT is the weeb than Star Vs is the normalfag who still thinks all anime is like Speed Racer.

Rebecca said that the inspiration for Steven Universe is from Future Boy Conan.

but SU is animated like a retard
the characters go off model more than ren and stimpy

>but SU is animated like a retard
>the characters go off model
It truly is like an anime then.

Can be good like avatar or teen titans or mixed like kappa mikey

I'm not sure if I'd say "understand down to how it's animated" as much as "willing to jack memorable scenes and sequences".

It still requires a certain depth of knowlege to pull that shit up, and translate it into their own style of course, but if you threw them into the deep end at some anime sweatshop, I'm doubtful that they could hold it together.

An art style does not necessarily dictate whether a show is good. "Sonic Boom" looks only a little better than the original "Reboot", but it has good writing and voice acting to balance out the medium-rent CGI.

I suppose you're right but can't really knock them for trying. At least we're over the age of fucking sweatdrops and deformations.

>It still requires a certain depth of knowlege to pull that shit up, and translate it into their own style of course
yeah. plagiarism is so hard
>but if you threw them into the deep end at some anime sweatshop, I'm doubtful that they could hold it together.
no shit

>Teen Titans
>garbage
Your opinion is garbage mate

Shows like SU and OK KO are more or less anime ripoffs by weebs done to varying degrees of horrible. from what I've seen of OK, it's not the pure ass cancer of SU, but nothing great

I wouldn't know about Miraculous, but it looks more like it's inspired by capeshit than anime

Teen Titans was relatively good, but not something I'd write home about. the fight scenes could definitely use more work

Castlevania is amazing in practically everything I've seen but soundtrack. the fight scenes are better than practically any anime I've seen

Steven universe doesn't look anime....

This thread is retarded because the shows aren't anime. They have Japanese inspired animation styles but they aren't anime. And of course you retards connect with them better because they're made with cultural aspects you know and understand whereas anime had Japanese culture that most of you don't understand. Get your weeb shit out of here

SU has a lot of anime influences
- Sailor Moon
- Utena
- DBZ
- Akira
- Captain Harlock
- fuckin Junji Ito

And not just in direct homages. But in storytelling style, visual style, and themes. They take it and make it their own, and it feels authentic because the creators are actually weebs.

Yes, that's literally how all of that works, you described it correctly. What I don't understand is why any of that is a problem.

it's a mixed bag. Some do and some don't.
But anime-influenced cartoons are inevitable considering just how massive of a reach Japanese media has, and we're going to see more and more of them as the generation that grew up during the 90s and 2000s anime boom start to make their own shows.

>and we're going to see more and more of them as the generation that grew up during the 90s and 2000s anime boom start to make their own shows.
No we won't, that generation has no money, and therefore nobody will cater to its nostalgia.

(Not to mention the whole manchild stereotype.)

Can anyone tell me what the cartoon in the center is?

I liked Castlevania alot, but man, you must have watched some really bad anime fights then

nigga SU looks like a late 70s/early 80s anime. Especially when Sugar storyboards.

>thinking episode 2 and 3 was garbage is now contrarian

Dude. Seriously, what the fuck is fun about watching some euro drunkard roam an ugly street swearing and drinking? Animation was choppy af too.

Fat Diabetes Child Galaxy doesn't pull anything off well.

name one anime whip fight that can top Alucard vs Trevor

anime is shit

95% of it is either high school slice of life comedy with harems and waifus or shonen of the month trash

>and it feels authentic because the creators are actually weebs.
That's what makes it feel awkward to me. Like those artists who are trying to learn from "how to draw anime" books.

Castlevania

And 95% of cartoons are either an energetic, optimistic, happy kid annoying everyone around them or two dudebros going on adventures.

>"how to draw anime" books
Anyone who uses this phrase on Sup Forums is to have their opinion disregarded, effective immediately.

What the fuck is that suppose to mean?

It's also done with Toei, aka the guys behind PreCure, Dragon Ball and Japanese South Park aka Gintama.

Exactly what it says, dumbass. There is nothing wrong with the standard anime look, and that's a really stupid phrase to use for that in any case.

You're an actual idiot who seems like they want to insult someone but doesn't know how. That isn't "a phrase", it's literally the title of many fucking art books.

I had that one.

He almost didn't use the whip tho

>what is wakfu

is it bad that i bought one when I was like 16?
since then I've basically been rebooting my art style and i'm gonna base it more on loomis and hampton

That goes with anything , user. 95% of anything is shit, you know that?

The other 5%.

It wouldn't even matter if every single artbook in the world had that title, dipshit. You shouldn't be using it here.

>How do you feel about cartoons inspired by anime?
There are some good examples likes Avatar and Teen Titans but nowadays cartoons inspired by Anime are all shit.
>Do westerns pull it off well?
They used to, Avatar weas the oeak

Your insults and posts make so little sense I'm not sure how to respond to them.

I hate it. Western comics/cartoon artists should stay as far away from that style as possible. The only thing I like about anime is that it tackles different genres and age-demographics.

Let me put it in a way your puny brain can comprehend: it makes no difference where that phrase comes from. You are using it simply to say that all generic anime style is bad (at least when adopted by cartoons), and that is retarded

It wasn't perfect user.

Oh, so the whole problem is you really are an idiot who pridefully asserts himself despite misunderstandings.

No see, when I said specifically, it's like they learned how to draw from those anime books, I was saying they learned only the most artificial elements of anime from people who can't even draw in the first place. Since those books are notorious for being shit and often times not even drawn by a legit japanese artist in the industry.

See, if you actually cracked open one of those books rather than getting unnecessarily triggered, you would've known that. But I guess it's too late to back down from being this wrong, huh? Better put your foot down harder with more bad insults.