Voltron Legendary Defender Season 3 Discussion Thread

How do you feel about the Lion swap Sup Forums? Frankly while I saw it coming I think it was shit since we've already gotten used to the different characters being attached to their Lions. Red loves Keith it's been shown several times, same with Lance and Blue, and we had Shiro trying to bond with the Black Lion for the whole of S2 all for nothing. Not to mention It means making Keith, the worst written character, as the leader.

And even though they changed Lions they haven't changed suit colours yet they do have matching bayard colours. It's quite jarring.

Is Legendary Defender being too slavish in paying homage to the original series that it's negatively affecting the writing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jvUARhM7jrg
hypable.com/voltron-s3-interview-joaquim-dos-santos-lauren-montgomery/2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>how do you feel about the lion swap
felt pretty pointless

In fact the whole season felt pretty pointless

Also: how the fuck is Lotor getting to and from the flagship when the whole point of the end of last season was that it got sent to the far reaches of the universe where it can't come back without portals

There's already a Voltron thread up

Loving the pilot swap. Makes people ultra salty.

>How do you feel about the Lion swap Sup Forums?
It's yet another "We are told about character's attitudes without anything actually changing" episode.

I thought Keith was using the black bayard and it actually was black.

I like how they're trying to rework the lore into something resembling the 84 series, but overall 7 20 minutes episodes for a "season" was WAY to short to try and retcon,WAY too many plot threads and history. Especially that last episode. With any luck Netflix won't option it for renewal, and we'll be left with questions and fan speculation forever.

I haven't seen the new season yet but can you guys tell me if there was any cameo/reference to this scene from the old show with Allura trying to become pilot of the Blue Lion?

I love Lotor's team. I want a scene like this between Lance and Space Ty Lee.
youtube.com/watch?v=jvUARhM7jrg

No

It feels too crowded. Does he needs this many named underlings?

I don't see why not. They bounce off each other well.

I love that they're keeping their uniform colours

I don't see much personality from them. Two would be enough, or even one with more development to fewer people.

I'M IN LOVE WITH PIDGE!

One's the generic cool girl that will switch sides, one's the generic dumb bubbly fun girl, one's the generic stronk buff girl who likes violence and one is a mute being mind controlled by a cat.

>dumb
I get a kind of unsettling psycho vibe from Ezor that she masks with a bubbling personality. I certainly haven't seen anything to indicate a lack of intelligence.

Would you redeem her, Sup Forums?

After 10,000 years of evil the only thing she deserves is the headsman's axe.

>10,000 years of being hit with a combination of mind control and the most corrupting drug addiction in the universe

Stop with your dindu defence. Not every villain has to be redeemed.

>Not every villain has to be redeemed
Maybe. Just most of them.

Because Shiroh being an expy of Bucky/Winter Soldier wasn't enough amiright?

Yeah, it felt weird and a little forced. I thought the lions were supposed to have this big mystic bond with their rider/pilot but apparently they can just shuffle them around as needed. Honestly kinda cheapens the whole thing.
Only tangentially related, but I'm calling it now: Black Lion rejected Shiro because this one is actually a clone made by the Galra empire to act as a sleeper agent or something.

Shiro was never a villain.

Who spells Shiro with 2 hs?

Pidge is best husbando

>Shiro
>a bad guy

No, he just has massive amounts of PTSD.

The lion swap was forced, especially since they had explained the traits each lion was drawn to. The fact that they got the corresponding bayards, but not armor was disappointing, as well as the fact that we never got to see what Shiro could do with his bayard and the black lion. We never will.

You don't see why he would need 5 people in his inner circle (including himself) versus the 5 paladins of Voltron in a show with giant robot fights?

>as well as the fact that we never got to see what Shiro could do with his bayard and the black lion. We never will
I'm still mad that we haven't seen Pidge or Lance's Bayard weapons on Voltron

I thought Pidge's was the shield and Lance got a big rifle? Am I remembering this wrong? I know Hunk has the missile launcher and red lion gets the sword.

I thought Shiro using the black bayard in Voltron would be better, now we have Keith using it and nothing new has come of it; Voltron keeps using the same sword we've been seeing. Same with Voltron's abilities in general.

Pidge just controls the shield, it's physically part of her lion. It was there from day one and she never needed to unlock it with her bayard.
The weapon her bayard forms with Voltron should be based on her taser/hookshot

They've only used Hunk's shoulder mounted cannon, they haven't done anything with Lance's Bayard yet.

Pidge doesn't need her bayard to use the shield.

I think if they wanted to let Allura pilot a lion she should have just gotten the black one temporarily. Black lion values leadership and uncompromising beliefs, Allura is a fucking princess who let her AI dad die to save her friends. Giving her blue lion makes no damn sense

Nah fuck off. She needs the motherly embrace of blue to work out her daddy issues.

Lance gets Blue, in what way is it "motherly?"

It's the easymode lion that allows it's paladin to build up confidence.

That has never once even been implied, dude. Where are you getting this from?

hypable.com/voltron-s3-interview-joaquim-dos-santos-lauren-montgomery/2/

I can't read it through their shitty adblocker

>Shlav is canon.
>You can celebrate it, embrace it, accept it, get over it, or whatever you feel the need to do, but there is no denying it. That is the official story. We received some wonderful press in the wake of the series finale at the end of last week, and just about every piece I read got it right: Shiro and Slav fell in love. Were they friends? Yes, and they still are, but they also grew to have romantic feelings for each other.

>Was Shlav “endgame,” meaning, did we plan it from the start of the series? No, but nothing other than Slav’s spiritual arc was. Shiro was a duplicitous spy when Lauren and I first conceived his character. Then we liked him too much so we reworked the story to keep him in the dark regarding Haggar's villainous activities. Hunk and Vrepit Sal weren’t originally planned to end up as a couple either, but that’s where we took the story/where the story took us. That’s how writing works the vast majority of the time. You give these characters life and then they tell you what they want to do.

>I have bragging rights as the first Shlav shipper (I win!). As we wrote Season 1, before the audience had ever laid eyes on Shiro and Slav, it was an idea I would kick around the writers’ room. At first we didn’t give it much weight, not because we think same-sex relationships are a joke, but because we never assumed it was something we would ever get away with depicting on an animated show for a kids network in this day and age, or at least in 2017.

KU[ron]+V[oltron]+[h]IRA

Kuvira's Colossus is finally explained

Has Keith used the Black Lion's phasing ability?

I think like once at the end of season 2

Tfw Lance got the most character development this season

iktf

Best and only OTP

This isnt the stone age, allura is one of the most competent people on the team, a very good fighter.

Best and only BROTP

Keith and shiro will kiss, mark my words.

Allura and Lance won't kiss, but they'll fistbump and at some point they'll get chewed out by Keith for engaging in too many shenanigans.

>one extra pilot

>plot hints at the antagonist trying to create its own version of the heroes mecha

Are we getting Dragonzord next season?

She got her good looks from her dad.

And what daddy issues? Her father fucking died saving her in the ultimate sacrifice.

You're the one with daddy issues. Yikes.

That doesn't make it "motherly." A lot of moms fucking hate their kids and don't do shit for them.

>How do you feel about the Lion swap
Contrived. Allura was set up to take Red and didn't. Lance was forced to leave Blue and didn't earn Red like Keith did so that felt really voltron forced. Only Keith's transition made sense but his actions afterwards were terrible.

Apparently Keith was confirmed to be 18.

How did Keith summon the sword from the black lion when it's a function of the red lion?

he's a slut

It's a function of his bayard

gotta love the mice

She IS also the one in most need of a spanking, you have to admit

Voltron's sword was shown as a function of the Red Lion in both the past and present but Keith summons it from the Black Lion.

Thankfully no and we don't have to deal with old voltron's sexism.

I was really against the lion swap before S3 but think they way they ended up doing it was perfect. People getting triggered over the colors not matching is hilarious as well. A+ would musical lions again

TWO threads simultaneously blessed by mice-user!

Cova will be busy tonight.

>Voltron's sword was shown as a function of the Red Lion in both the past and present

And in both those instances the red pilot was using the red bayard.

But it's still a function of the Red lion like who each lion has a unique gun independent of the pilot.

>drug addiction

do i have to summon "president punisher"?

>Lance and allura become bros

Yes

Giving her any lion makes no sense. The lions all rejected her in favor of others and she was right there in the fucking castle. Clearly she's not competent enough.

>Sheith
Dead.

>Giving
The blue lion picked her. She wasn't pilot material before but now the lion senses her character growth and potential and wants to nurture it. It's pretty obvious if you just watch the show instead of sperging out about muh color coordination, it was written for little kids to understand afterall.

I heard Keith's age was officially confirmed as 18?

Yup

I just watched the hour long premiere and I felt underwhelmed. Does it get any better?

>All these shippers panicking over the ages of fictional characters in a children's cartoon show

Nice.

>That bit about Shiro

Wow, gay.

I really want them to keep rubbing off on each other personality wise, leading to Allura being Lance's wingman when picking up alien hotties and Lance having Allura's back in galactic diplomacy.
Also they need to come up with a needlessly elaborate, secret handshake.

delet this

So did Lance get Keith's bayard? Did everyone play bayard musical chairs and Mir just didn't bother to show the switcheroo except for Lance giving the blue bayard to Allura?

Hunk and Pidge also swapped bayards.

Alfor's bayard weapon could have been a sword like Keith's

Its like how Lance still had a rifle even with the red bayard, or how Allura got a whip with the blue bayard. How the bayard forms depends on the Paladin, not the color. The same could go for the weapons they each give to Voltron

We didn't see the original Paladins (except for Zarkon) using their bayards outside of Voltron so we don't know for sure how summoning the Voltron weapons actually works.

Scrubs-user, can you post more pics of the guidebook? Also, thank you for posting the previous photos!

First episode is the worst episode.

But the lions themselves give Voltron his weapons like how it showed Alfor how to summon it's sword. Voltron's weapons are tied to the lions like how 4 made a giant sword or how black ignited the sword red makes. the weapon the bayard takes doesn't affect what it pops out of Voltron, those are like the lion specific guns.

reminder: zarkon did nothing wrong. it was all the witch's fault.

first ep has typical pilot syndrome where shit feels wonky

Yeah, the first and second episodes are the worst in a lot of people's opinions. It starts picking up after that. And if you wind up sticking with it, season 3 is REALLY good through and through.

I still can't believe Pidge is Italian.

It gets better.
Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty solid. Season 3 takes a nose dive until the very end.

the real answer is that this is vague and fudgeable on purpose because it's never going to be plot or character relevant so no one cared that much

We thought Zarkon was the spaghetti spiller but it was actually Pidge the whole time.

>Pidge drives a moped around while roadraging in italian

>Shiro clone theory gets BTFO next season

How would you react, Sup Forums?

Except Keith's bayard is a sword and he forms Voltron's sword, regardless of color
And Hunk's bayard is a cannon and he forms Voltron's cannon.

That's what's been confirmed so far.

Season 3 was excellent.

I can't believe all the Paladins own fluffy lion slippers but only Lance wears them.