Is Darkseid even a threat? He gets cucked all the time it seems like

Is Darkseid even a threat? He gets cucked all the time it seems like.

>cucked
This word seriously needs to result in a ban. Sup Forums needs to stop shitting up every board

>Create all-powerful evil god character.
>Watch as other writers over-use him in situations where the good guys have to win for the story to continue.
>Behold the negative power-creep.

That's comics.

Darkseidphil lmao

Darkseid and Thanos both look lame

The only person who can kill him is Orion.

While I am convinced that the series wont be good and will completely misunderstand what the New Gods are in the attempt to modernize them, I cant wait to see what King's self therapy for his feelings of guilt and possible PTSD through comics comes up with for Darkseid.

It sure have potential to be amazing

DARKSIED IS SHIT!!!!SHIT!!!!

Trust me, I want it to be great, but the interview where they say theyre trying to make it like Game of Thrones doesn't fill me with hope.

>Sup Forums

it's much more widespread than the pedo containment board

Kirby created him as part of a story that was intended to end, not as an all-powerful character. It's just that nobody gave a shit about New Gods, so he ended up writing Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen instead, because nobody else wanted it.

His time at DC was much less happy/productive than anything before or after.

>he thinks Darkseid is all-powerful god of evil
Morrison pls

It should be more bombastic than Game of Thrones, but I reread New Gods yesterday and I can see how someone might get that from it.

>It's just that nobody gave a shit about New Gods, so he ended up writing Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen instead, because nobody else wanted it.
Jack Kirby first started with Jimmy Olsen and introduced the New Gods through that, sort of like the Flash on Arrow.

Game of Thrones is just a cheap way of saying warring political intrigue(Highfather vs New Genesis), family drama(Orion and Scott and their dads), character driven(it's about Mr Miracle) and violent action with consequences(New Gods opens with Ragnarok and a lot of death).

Don't take it as anything more than that, they've used the same comment in every interview

>Is Darkseid even a threat?

No, because, like Thanos, he's a benchmark, so he will never be allowed to anything meaningful.

The similarities are definitely there, though that in combination with the comment of how since they cant out Kirby Kirby they'll take it in another direction gives me cause for concern.

Also I dont quite understand the idea he mentions of Scott Free being Kirby's Jesus analouge. It seems to me Orion has more messanic elements and Mr Miracle was a more heroic variant on the mythological Trickster archtype.

>warring political intrigue(Highfather vs New Genesis)

Scott(Jesus) is sent down from New genesis(Heaven) to Apokalyps(Earth) to live amongst sin and suffer for the sake of others.

He doesn't just use his PTSD on his comics he's got abandonment issues too
>"King tends to put many elements from his own life into each story. "I'm a latchkey kid," explained King. "You know my dad walked out when I was seven; my mother worked 15 hour days. So I'm not from sort of a traditional kind of family, but I'm trying myself to build a traditional family and to sort of correct the mistakes. I mean we all try to correct the mistakes of our childhood, right?"

Is Kings take of Orion accurate all to the character or is it just how he sees him
>"Orion is a Bully Who Grew Up in a Mansion
>Orion is always written as this gruff, “Augh, I’m suffering!” kind of guy. He’s like the Wolverine of the New Gods, right? He’s like, “Oh, the world is so terrible, I’m the son of Darkseid, I’m destined to kill him, blah blah blah.” But, dude! He was raised in Heaven.

>He’s like the bully who’s actually just the rich kid who grew up in a mansion. He’s like, “Oh, you don’t understand me!” Dude, you grew up on the upper west side, what are you talking about?! Whereas Scott has been through the shit, you know? He knows what’s up. So this idea that Orion would come to him and be like, “You don’t know how to deal with pain!” Scott’s thinking in that moment, “Dude, you’ve never even experienced pain. You’ve experienced angst. You’ve experienced the theory of pain, but you don’t know what it’s like to have Granny Goodness as the only person you love.”
I love the dynamic between Scott and Orion. It’s like that for the two of them, immediately.

That's the most horrendous take on Orion I've ever seen. It's Bendis-tier.

No
Now post femsied/momsied
It furthers my point

You can say the same thing about Orion though. He's even meant to die for the sins of the New Gods.

Femseid is dumb because it mistakes his helmet for hair.

Darkseid IS.

I really hope he's over-simplified this for people who don't know Orion and will learn about him over the course of the book

On your knees for the master! The hour has come! HE has come! Who is beyond good and evil? Who is the prophet of Anti-Life? Who is the Rock, the Chain, and the Lightning? All powerful! All unforgiving! All conquering! WHO IS YOUR NEW GOD NOW AND FOREVER?

Have there been any comics that center around darkseid conquering various planets/races or has he always been a jobber?

I still get chills at the three billion fist line

thicc

>His time at DC was much less happy/productive than anything before or after.
Whut Kirby actually got credit and recognition for creating iconic characters there and DC actually respects his legacy (see the celebration they're giving his 100th Birthday)

But he's right.

>Gets sung to oblivion by Superman

>muh saturday morning tier villain speech

>bendis tier
Bendis can't give characters voices, so no

t. Kingshitter
He is absolutely wrong.

Neither can King, it's all MUH PTSD

King is implying that angst can't be associated with pain. Orion is a grotesque man who lives in a society of beautiful and flamboyant people. His nature as a warrior is contradictory to the people that raised him.
Scott definitely went through a lot of pain and hardship under Granny Goodness, but that doesn't make Orion's suffering meaningless. A secret soldier in a war that isn't supposed to be happening, and the son of New Genesis' ultimate evil. He is brought up to value peace and sing and be happy, like Lightray, but can't resist the call of war. I think Orion has a lot of reasons to be angsty.

mmmmmmnope

>Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #133–139, 141–148 (1970–72)

so far so goo-

oh oh OH

>The New Gods are a fictional race appearing in the eponymous comic book series published by DC Comics, as well as selected other DC titles. Created and designed by Jack Kirby, they first appeared in February 1971 in New Gods #1.

>they first appeared in February 1971 in New Gods #1.

He took on SPJO because nobody else was working on it or wanted it, it had low sales, and he knew he wouldn't be putting anybody out of work. He'd come from Marvel as the superstar hire and there would have been a degree of resentment anyway, let alone if he got to do his own thing on any book he asked for (which DC would, initially, have done for Kirby). So he picked a book nobody cared about and just beetled around in SPJO while DC approved his New Gods pitch and he hammered out what exactly he was going to do with them.

New Gods was never intended as part of the DC continuity, and was only confirmed as such later; there were nods to it but those were at the insistence of editorial, who also didn't want Superstar Creator Jack Kirby to ever stop writing his pet project. Until it didn't sell very well and they cancelled it anyway, having thoroughly fucked him by dragging it out beyond its intended length and then shutting it down at next to no notice.

>sort of like the Flash on Arrow

I know what you were trying to express here but it did not sound smart.

Best take on Darkseid.

I agree with you.

You're just flat out wrong here m8.

Alright alright user I got my dates a little muddied. I don't care about sounding smart though.

It's meaningless when writers keep forgetting that Scott and Barda grew up on Apopkalips.

No no no user, you're the one who was actually right. Kirby very much introduce a lot of the fourth qorld through the Jimm olsen comics, which like the Lois lane comics, were big sellers in the day.

That's what I thought lol, but the user went through so much trouble with the big ass post I thought I'd leave it at that.

And Scott's suffering is behind him, and he now has a fufilling life and a top-tier waifu, while Orion will never get to rest until he kills Darkseid, a day which seems incredibly distant at best.

Darkseid brainwashed Big Barda and Superman, Had them make a sex tape, then showed up to Scotts house and showed it to him.

Yeah the guys a threat.

Reminder this story came about because Byrne took issue with Kirby pushing for creator rights, so wrote the character Kirby based on his wife being essentially raped.

Kirby responded by having what was clearly meant to Bryne appear as a literally spineless, dickless being whose sole purpose was to be a company man.

Loneliness + Alienation + Fear + Despair + Self-worth ÷ Mockery ÷ Condemnation ÷ Misunderstanding x Guilt x Shame x Failure x Judgment, n=y where y=Hope and n=Folly, Love=Lies, Life=Death, Self=DARKSEID

What villain do you think presents a threat?

I've noticed the tiger metaphor being used a lot in literature especially comics from Punisher and spiderman to Darkseid

Kirby's slam against Bryne was better.

Yeah but did Punisher and Spider-Man actually MARRY a Tiger?? Hm? Didn't think so.

Absolutely, because he actually makes a point about who he's insulting instead of fucking with his things and hoping he gets mad.

I know this was basically just Byrne being a bitch and trying to fuck with kirby but it's still kinda hilarious how he essentially made miracle a cuck

Is chadseid acceptable?

Wait who married a tiger

Darkseid.

Is Couchseid acceptable as well?

Or Laughseid?

Source?

Swamp Thing 62

>Be the son of Darksied, will to power incarnate.
>His nature is your nature. His desire to conquer and destroy is imprinted on your very soul.
>Be an outcast because even though you try to use your violent nature to positive ends you're Ares raised in Heaven by Angels. Your nature is not the nature of your friends and family.
>Have to have a pocket Bodhisattva Ipod keep your anger and range in check
>This is how you'll be for the rest of your immortal life

Scott had a shitty childhood and now he's living a happy life with a waifu and midget sidekick performing as a celebrity superstar.Orion is an outcast FOREVER.

But King wants Orion to check his privilege. Because King is a good lefty CIA shill and looks only at the very surface of what defines a person.

Fuck King and fuck whoever things Orion is a "bully raised in a mansion".

This.

What's Scotts life like in a year? He's the god of escape married to an eternally beautiful amazon. He has a kid sidekick and Oberon. He's a huge celebrity not just in New Genesis but on Earth.

He's the god of escape. He has a happy ending no matter what because that's who he is.

Orion is the god of war.

There is no happy ending to his stories.

In a year Orion is still an outcast, still feeling his father's tiger-force so strongly in his soul he needs Mother Box to calm him down, still the dog of war.

Orion has a much, much harder life than Scott.

King doesn't see it and I think I know why. King was a latchkey kid. He said he's tried to build a functional, happy family to make up for the failings of his parents.

But look at Vision where he takes a piss on the idea of a functional All-American family like a good leftist. He knows he can never have a family because of his own personal failings, probably the same failings as his father, but projects this resentment on to the idea of a happy family itself.

King wishes he was Scott because Scott has a happy family.

But he knows he's not. He knows deep down that he's Orion. He has the personality failures of his father deep down in his soul.

King is Orion and he knows it.

wew lad

Kirby was a leftist too by your standards

Kirby was the kind of lefty that wrote stories about Captain America and the Avengers fighting commies. He was the kind of lefty that had Cap team up with Falcon and not have Falcon tell Cap to check his privilege. He was the kind of lefty that wrote Black Panther as being a fan of classical music with a deep respect of Western culture (studied in Europe and America, knew baseball and played it with the F4).

Kirby's leftism was an old leftism. He would have hated Hillary just like he hated Nixon and other corrupt politicians.

Kirby was not a modern lefty like King.

>King literally wants Orion to check his privilege

What the actual fuck?

Kingfags how do you defend this?

Stop being triggered by words

In the beginning, there was Darkseid.

Then there was Thanos, who ripped off Darkseid.

Then there was Mongul, who ripped off Thanos.

Finally there came Apocalypse, who ripped off Mongul.

My favourite version of Darkseid is just a cosmic version of Heath Ledger's Joker. He will show up and fuck with your day in the absolute most dickish way before killing you.

In Kirby's time Kirby was a modern lefty who got as much scorn from the Sup Forums of that time as the ""SJWS"" do now.

Friendly reminder that Grant Morrison should have been left to reboot the DC Universe

Not reboot, but giving Grant his own Earth to build from the ground up would be wonderful.

>Whut Kirby actually got credit and recognition for creating iconic characters there and DC actually respects his legacy (see the celebration they're giving his 100th Birthday)

No, he didn't.

He got told he'd be able to pitch his own series and work on it. Instead he ended up working on Jimmy Olsen (initially by choice to meet his weekly page quota) and, later, The Demon (which he hated from the start and considered one of the worst things he'd ever created).

New Gods was supposed to be a limited series - or rather, a series of several limited series. If he'd been allowed to pursue it, he'd have basically invented the graphic novel ten years before anybody thought it was worth doing. Instead, DC insisted he tie New Gods into DC's wider (and at that time, pre-Crisis, total clusterfuck) continuity, and refused to let him end the series (even though initially he'd been assured it would end, and another title carrying on in the same continuity, with different characters, would begin). By issue 11 (when it ended, the first time), it wasn't selling, everybody (Kirby included) hated it, and DC just told him to keep doing Jimmy pages and maybe think of something non-New Gods to do. So he came up with The Demon as a stopgap.

DC not only didn't let him work the way they'd promised (having only hired him for his name, rather than his creations), they continued to bleed out his New Gods over the following decades. By his death, they'd fully tied New Gods into the main canon, and released some of the worst stories ever published by DC, featuring those characters. Kirby had repeatedly tried to definitively end the Fourth World Saga and DC had repeatedly refused to honor his wishes.

By even continuing to publish this shit, they're literally pissing on his legacy. He never wanted this. He'd never have written fucking Batman dodging the Omega Sanction of all things. This idea that Marvel didn't respect him and he ended his career at DC isn't even true.

I mean, you're a fucking retard. Batman didn't dodge the fucking omega beams and Kirby was never the sperg you think he was with his characters, he liked The Great Darkness Saga. And although it happened post his death, he was able to provide for his family with these creations and his wife burst out in tears when finally got the checks for the creations her husband poured her soul into.