What shouldn't I escape from?

>What shouldn't I escape from?

Scott Free is a scion of the New Gods.
Son of Highfather and New God of Freedom.
As a Super-Escape Artist, he's made Earth home.
But the War threatens to ensnare Scott and all he loves.

This is-
Mister Miracle #1

And here we go...

Brad Meltzer seal of quality

You reading alongside Dave?
I am hoping the Orion stuff is ironed out early on

Already read it.
Hope it works for you.

>posting pictures in a storytime
Please leave Dave.

Okay I know King has said this is about overcoming and escaping death/life and I'm sure he's going somewhere with it since this 12 issues

BUT JESUS CHRIST KING

This is my storytime

Already triggered. It's Darkseid Is not Darkseid is.

This scene was alright in previews since, well...I can see Barda thinking that.
But wew, King thinks it too.

That didn't take long

>Godfrey

Neat?

And Shilo already did the whole escape Death trick, without the angst.

Definitely.

I liked King's thoughts on Scott's own duality when he brought that up in interviews.
It's fertile ground.

But it and much else is overserviced here.

Sorry, no exceptions. Not even for you.

I pulled an all-nighter waiting to storytime.

Good morning, Dave.

Remember to spoiler tag the penultimate page.

The more you say 'Darkseid Is' the less it means. Its impact can be incredibly powerful in the right context, but here it has no weight because its on every page.

This.
It's getting annoying.

I mean, I like a lot of the things he's trying in terms of themes but just... ugh. Should've picked the Atomic Knights. Also his dialogue is getting on my nerves. Particularly the last panel here

Sorry, but I couldn't.
Not my style.

And hey, you scooped me last week when I stayed up for New Gods Special, so we're cool

And that's it...for now!

See you next month.

i disagree, but that's because i think of it more like a creeping PTSD thought that, as it keeps turning up, will ramp up the fear in Scott. but hey, that's just me

Sure is great not wearing my glasses, in order to avoid thumbnails spoiling until I read it when my LCS opens in 3 hours.

Support the official release, folks!

What happened to the art here?

Sorry that I risked spoiling it for you then.
Sincere apologies.

Disagree. It's all build up. See here it is DARKSEID that he drew

Alright

So the repetitiveness of Darkseid Is, Barda's eyes changing and becoming more violent, the War and the general feeling of hopelessness and inability to escape makes me think this is Scott in the Omega Sanction. Which Shilo already experienced and escaped. In Seven Soldiers. I really dont think King can do better in 12 issues than Morrison did in one with #4.

Well it's obvious. How else do you explain talk show host Godfrey?

He really can't and I hope it's not him in the Omega Sanction but all the shit that went down in this issue makes me think this is the case.

>Particularly the last panel here
King gonna King, user.

Gotta make it $3.99 somehow

I mean... I get that this is King's opinion and it's stupid and all but... does he really need to use Barda as a mouthpiece and have her repeat exactly what eh said in the interview? that's hacky as fuck.

He fell into the trap where he feels that it's his signature and always has to do it. Basically, he's fucking himself.

#4 has Orion on the cover so hopefully we get a better idea of Kings Orion then but I was not a fan of that interview

This is a really uninteresting escape. Just fill the tank with blood so the audience cant see you and slip out.

I don't get it. What's wrong with these? And what's the general problem everyone seems to have with King?

>Basically, he's fucking himself.
I guess Editorial will let it slide until they think it effects sales numbers. Same goes for Muh Nine Panel Grid.

And with this issue I am finally sick of Kings use of the 9 panel grid.

I'm hoping once we get to New Genesis the book picks up. Right now it's laying the light story telling on too thick and if I wasn't familiar with the Omega Sanction then it might increase my interest to figure out what's going on.

What if it isn't the Omega Sanction? What if it is the story of how Highfather died from Scott's perspective in current continuity?

>continuityfag

What?

>No one escapes from death.

Is this some kind of joke? Death is the most escaped from thing around.

It's very robotic and personality-less. I know saying it's "bendis tier" is a meme but he's a self proclaimed huge fan of Bendis so not only is it bendis tier, but he's doing it intentionally.
>I would like to stay longer. However. Darkseid
just doesn't' sound like Highfather, it's that type of personality-less dialogue that you can attach to anyone.

Then the book would be using PTSD as a reason for why reality Scott perception of reality is changing and I'm tired of that as well.

Ok, so this is so far just a rehash of Seven Soldiers Mister Miracle, with the whole "escaping death" thing. Which King would have obviously read. Why would he just retread someone else's work?

Maybe that's what Mister Miracle's really trying to escape? The cyclical nature of comicbook storytelling?
And in particular the impact it has on the constant war between New Genesis and Apokolips that Kirby planned to definitively end, and only continues today because of editorial insistence that Darkseid IS always alive.

>Average Tom King protagonist

so is this basically "Tom King read Moon Knight for a year and now wants to do something similar with Mister Miracle."?

I was going to buy this today, happy I checked the ST first. Normally I make the leap on issue ones but Kings batman has been that bad.

He's not even the first Mister Miracle to escape from Death.

i mean... he wrote the issue miles before these recent interviews. absolutely nothing hackey about it. he was saying this in the context of scott and barda's perspective

If it is the Omega Sanction or then I hope to God when he gets out the 9 panel meme ends

>Maybe that's what Mister Miracle's really trying to escape? The cyclical nature of comicbook storytelling?
>And in particular the impact it has on the constant war between New Genesis and Apokolips that Kirby planned to definitively end, and only continues today because of editorial insistence that Darkseid IS always alive.

Seems like there are interesting ways to do that.
None on display here.

>Tom King read Moon Knight
In what fucking way do you get Moon Knight from this?

Read up some of Neil Cohn's work on the linguistics of comics. More or less he defines how comics American that are moment to moment have a narrative rhythm same as language. It basically comes down to how if you put punctuation in the middle of the sentences or at wrong places, it would have cognitive effect on the audience. Same way if you put transition panel or panels that serve as punctuations strategically, you would play with the audience's minds. That's what I believe King is doing here. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now but if I get the time to research it, I'll explain it.

What? Are you retarded or something? What the fuck is wrong with your brain?

I actually like the "Darkseid is." panels, they start out happening every time some action that progresses the story happens, but as the comic progresses they start to happen even when there's nothing really we're seeing that's an active action on the page. I think those times, those panels represent the little details in scott's life changing and scott's sanity getting worse and worse. They also have a good impact on the pace of the comic.

But I do agree that if they're gonna use a shit ton of basically blank pages, they could've at least changed the issue lenght.

I think you explained it well enough.

It just doesn't work when you spam it like this. It comes off a trying too hard.

I wonder if this ties to the game that batman and saturn girl were watching in the Button.

Oberon pretty clearly modeled after Kirby here which is a nice touch.

My memory is fuzzy on Seven Soldiers. How did he escape death in it? Did he avoid death against all odds or did he die and come back to life? I want to say Shilo used time slowdown and black hole stuff to pull some crazy stuff to escape and avoid death and didn't actually die and resurrect.

are you fucking retarded?

Character has issues with his pereception of reality != MK rip-off

God I hate you people

?

jesus, i am starting to guess comic readers are just THAT dumb

Nigger I'm just as confused as you are by this retardation don't lump me in with him

That's an old style intro.

That was hockey. TDs and interceptions are footballs.

Isn't it Ironic?

tom king threads are officially cursed with absurd dumbness, there is no escape anymore

No, it works fine and I don't see how it's "try hard". The dialogue, overly depressing tone, possibility of Seven Soldiers plot rip off and poor management of panels/pages which leads to some annoying pacing(despite the fact that there is enough that happened, or better put, told to us that has happened, in the issue)

I can't remember exactly how it happened, but he was 100% dead. The final panel is his hand reaching from his grave after his funeral.

Spamming Darkseid Is for about a quarter of an already slim issue is ridiculous.

So you do see where I was coming from? You just don't agree.

Not that user, tard, but either he's the mouthpiece or barda is.

TK didn't just forget what he'd said. I think it's pretty cringe to almost word for word say the same shit your comic is going to.

Are you fucking retarded? Do you think he changed his mind on the character or something? Are you a moron? The dumbest person on Sup Forums at this every moment? What? Barda almost word for word says the exact same thing King said about Orion when the interviewer asked him to describe the character.
>inb4 hur durr I was just pretending to be retarded
No you weren't. Retard faggot.

In Seven Soldiers #1 he allowed himself to be killed outright in exchange for the realese of Aurakles/Oracle, the First Superhero. Fufilling the demand one of the Seven must die and severing the Shide's link to Darkseid. The final page him bursting from his grave . The black hole escape is in his own mini, signifing his escape from the Omega Sanction.

I am a little unclear. Is that Barda in panel 6?

IS IT GOOD???
can't read at work

No and it's been said why. If you want to be deliberately obtuse just to sound like a try hard then go ahead.

yes

Just because it's meant to be punctuation doesn't immediately make it work. Spamming it again and again just makes it tiresome and boring.

Ok. I got you. I was merging the two into one in my memory. The black hole time dialation was him getting out of the Omega Sanction. In the other plot he died and came back to life. How did he come back to life then?

I suspect it was a jab at the people who cry that.

>it doesn't work
>It works fine

you realize you aren't changing each others minds. Some people think King can do no wrong so when others try to criticize him sometimes they get reamed.

One of you liked the technique. The other didn't.

it wasn't fine and it wasn't shit.

eh to be fair it's not like we missed out on anything, in any other comic the other panels would just be larger to take up the space of Darkseid Is.

However this just makes it seem like Darkseid Is is being used to fill the nine-panel grid.

>saying "spamming" over and over again doesn't prove your point, buddy. The fact that you do is quite ironic.

>Spamming it again and again just makes it tiresome and boring.
No it doesn't.

If you like King, you'll be interested at least. If you don't like King you won't like it.