JSA Storytime: Mr. X

Good evening owls,

last issue of volume 3

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/35882-bug-the-forager-5-6-cancelled-for-now.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

BTW I haven't read *anything* today, but you guys feel free to shitpost at will because I love you all

Have you read it yet OP?

HI Thread!!

I didn't read comics yet but I assume Mr Miracle was the most comic of the week

It was awful, as expected from HacKing

I have not! I got home at 5:45 and said "fuck it" about doing much of anything other than assembling food/vodka

What new shit did you guys read this week?

they cancelled Bug! at 4 issues
and King gets to write his edgy autistic bullshit that people eat up
issue of the year my ass
I hate this world

Nah, that was Scooby-Apocalypse for introducing Secret Squirrel

That shit got 500 replies in a few hours. Already archived.

Well to me it was fine, but I get the feeling that people hyping it mostly haven't gotten used to King's emotional writing yet and overreacted to it.

Haven't picked up my haul from the LCS yet this month but I did just wander through the latest Ms. Marvel thread.

Red Hood is way better
Wicked + Divine was good but no one here cares, plz no bully

Hello, Storyteller.

Yo, Storyteller, real talk. The next time you get a minute, you NEED to catch up on Red Hood and the Outlaws. This book is fuckin' great. The Dark Trinity is one of the best new things in all of DC, I am not even kidding.

For me...I think that pretty much everything that King is doing with the New Gods is nonsense.
Like, blatant nonsense.

But the themes could be interesting, but we will have to wait and see for those

I don't remotely have the energy to deal with this

But I heard NSM has Snek so I need to nab that

I actually binged that today.
The Bizarro stuff is pretty great.

Not cancelled re-solicited.

Yeah, I really have to catch up, lemme see what I'm missing

>they cancelled Bug! at 4 issues
Oh that's not good. I feel like Young Animal's gonna be done after the big crossover.

>they cancelled Bug! at 4 issues
They're only being resolicited for later because of delays, user. Just like Doom Patrol.

I've got to imagine it's be cause Allred fell behind drawing Silver Surfer , an issue of Doom Patrol, and Bug

Redlands. The art's real great.

The strong Christian overtones are weird to me. MM walking along the beach with Highfather felt very blunt. In this thread a long while back we discussed it and my position was King had to vary the tone: opening the issue with Mister Miracle slitting his wrists is not doing that I'm down for the book regardless but right now I don't feel excited by it, and I if the twists are what I expect and what's really spelled out in the issue, I don't think I will be.

Yeah, the guy's drawing a million things right now. Something had to give.

Having Scott be called "The Son of God", like that, is a really horrible misuse of New Gods symbology.

Highfather is not "God". If anything, the Source is. King is just wrangling things to fit. Square holes, round pegs.

So what was the consensus of it?

Sup Forums hates it, I'm guessing?
America is the only other new book that got that many replies that fast, that I remember.

THE TURN

I do!! Though I have a weird relationship where I forget a lot btw issues

It could be interesting on its own when all is said and done, but as of now...it's not doing anything interesting for the property.

I don't care what anyone says, the cover for this month's issue is Silver Age as fuck, and I love it.

Something I think you'll find amusing is that there appears to be a modest Japanese fan base for the book, complete with adorable fanart of the Dark Trinity as high school students.

And yes, these pics do depict Artemis with absurdly long hair.

>THE TURN
That's really sad how you can only defend your favorite hack with memes.

Also apparently Rich the Leech had a busy day or IDK, I just went to see if someone was "this is trying to bury Eddie Berganza" bc there's an editorial shuffle and there's a chick on Superbooks and there was bitching about BC

I

That cover is why I binged this.
Like, "Lex is in this? Have to catch up".

Was not disappointed.

art was kind of messy/rushed but yeah it was comfy

Priest's Inhumans book was decent IMO but also very synergistic.

Where was all this happening?

>What a shitty issue. After reading his Fiasco on Batman, I'm surprised why DC decided to put King on this. Why not put an actually good writer like Tomasi, Jurgens or Lobdell? I'd recommend todays Hal and Pals for anyone who wants to read a good New Gods story.

No matter your opinion of the actual issue, this is some masterful, masterful bait post-Rebirth

Personally I liked it I guess? I'm more excited for when we get to New Genesis, those last 2 pages were the colours on Gerads art picks up and Barda goes full wife mode were my favourite outside of the build up to Darkseid is

If anyone in this thread reads/has read Centaur's Worries (weird, emotional and occasionally creepy monstergirl series) all the snake people in it are like this and it's the absolute best.

Highfather is Moses, if anything.

Ivyfag on twitter is happy about BoP today

what's Redlands about?

The constant "Darkseid Is" worked wonderfully in one instance.

When Barda is "No one is here"
>Darkseid is.

Beautiful. The whole "it's like a chorus" thing didn't click with me otherwise, but I'm glad it did for others.

Moses and Abraham.
Abraham was also asked to give up his son.

Yeah this is fair. I think I'll enjoy it enough on its own but that meta legacy of things if we'll get King copycats for the next decade+ just because it's so popular is a concern.

>>I don't care what anyone says, the cover for this month's issue is Silver Age as fuck, and I love it.
I like how they have characters actually talking on the covers, yeah.

Priest's inhumans stuff seems like an AU

Secret Empire looks to be gearing towards a big reset button with the deus ex machina/technically a chekov's gun (but he screamed "I'M IMPORTANT LATER) via the inhuman who can puke out cosmic cubes (yay, another inhuman to save the day)

Can't join in because of internet outages which sucks because I had a lot of things to say about Mister Miracle and the reaction to it.

Also snek waifu was great as usual.

fucking Bucky

also, T'Challa fans deeply mad that Zemo had him on the ground because how could that "mediocre white man" possibly do that

Witches fuck up an awful town in Florida. I'm not sold on the story but Del Ray/Bellaire make for a nice combo.

It's always kind of interesting to see how other countries view American media. Like, people naturally run things through their own cultural filter, so you get stuff like Wondy depicted as way more magical girl esque.

Deilan is cute. CUTE!

I never knew I needed sukeban Artemis in my life until now:

Oh yeah, and Vendetti managed to mangle New Gods even more, which is hilarious because Humphries tried to dance around them too with his latest arc. The Green Lantern editorial base does not seem to be communicating well.
Dave, avoid Hal& Pals if you have not read it yet

You must strive to post.

>top panel: storyteller+owls

I really want the Secret History of Secret Empire when Nicky's not working for Marvel one day

>Dave, avoid Hal& Pals if you have not read it yet

Oh I have. My mind sorta tried to save itself by forgetting about OLD Genesis.
Holy shit.

Shane Davis' decent one-shot looks so much better in the light of day now

>also, T'Challa fans deeply mad that Zemo had him on the ground because how could that "mediocre white man" possibly do that

lmao

oh my god user is right, Jason Todd really IS Sasuke, he fits so well into that manga trope that he could not help but be fanarted

it's beautiful

twitter.com/FizzVsTheWorld/status/895363930888953856

Yeah I thought everyone purged Godhand or whatever it was called from their memory.

I think having the New Gods mix with regular superheroes always makes them look worse.

I wasnt defending him I was joking bc it's been about a year since I started that.

I haven't read it and my reaction will probably be firmly "it's good but I get new gods fans disapproval"

And my meme defense was clearly gonna be "the Kirby method is to make a new comic so it's actually 100% Kirby"

I get too salty reading this shit.
>Powerlevels are dumb except where they prove I am morally in the right and you are morally in the wrong.

It's a very tough line to walk

Hi OP. It was funny seeing how overtly defensive New Gods and Orionfags got so subtly BTFO.

I've always thought that as well.
They're their own mythology, any overlap will always lead to them getting hijacked from their own lore.

Funnily, Mr. Miracle was one of the few New Gods that could sort of fit into the main DCU.

The Kirby method would be to make your own characters

>when Nicky's not working for Marvel one day
Depending on if the rumor that he's on Spiderman 600 is wrong, that might be sooner than expected.
Actually, is he on any of the legacy titles? I remember him being off for October, but I haven't caught up wih Marvel's "announce a title but not a team" antics.

He was notably the most superheroic.
Costume, powers, fought crime and supervillains.
Had a sidekick.

It's why his series lasted the longest.

>I think having the New Gods mix with regular superheroes always makes them look worse.
Always? Even Superman visiting New Genesis way back in the Kirby days?

Maybe this is because I'm none too familiar with 4th World material, but I got nothing out of the MM issue. Like, I get what it's doing, but it ultimately felt like a huge pile of fuck all. The constant repetition of "Darkseid Is" didn't help. Please knock that shit off, it's annoying as fuck.

Seriously, delinquent Artemis is top notch. The artist gets it.

To be fair, Kirby only did that because no one was using Jimmy Olsen and he figured he could use it as a foothold for his concepts

Low energy.

>Everybody forgets Shilo
It's too bad, because he actually fits pretty well into the weird family dynamic.

Shilo was his sidekick.

I thought not being familiar with the Fourth World might make it easier to enjoy.

He's made oblique noises about the whole thing being not what he meant it to be which is inevitable with events

I know, that's what I meant.

You mean when all the Fourth World stuff was first rolled out in Jimmy Olsen and then in one issue of Forever People?

That's hardly the same level of over involvement as The Justice League fighting Darkseid

I'm being 100% non ironic. Whether MM ends up being the best thing this medium has ever produced or biggest pile of shit, it made a lot of people realize the hypocritical nature of fandom who'll jump at any opportunity to call other out for preemptively judging something.

Ahhh, yes.

Shilo had a nice character arc, and it was nice to see the run that DeMatteis started finish that. Ge was a great legacy

I believe it's nothing announced yet for him, though I still get the feeling he'll be on Thunderbolts though if it relaunches. Makes too much sense. I guess the counter-thought to that would be nothing Marvel does these days makes sense.

Dan's tweeted multiple times that he's not leaving. They're going to have to pry it from his cold dead fingers.

>oh my god user is right, Jason Todd really IS Sasuke, he fits so well into that manga trope that he could not help but be fanarted
All three of them are basically edgy anime rivals. Eventually, there might even be a Dark Justice League featuring Orm and Guy. Cause why not at this point.

I wonder if they'll advertise him as " the writer of Secret Empire" when the sales have been bad for an event.

He's got how many issues left to prove that he's actually here to fix Zemo, now

>:(

I hope he doesn't.

2-4 I guess, I don't know how many Cap issues are left

Storytimer we should read the non Kirby Mr Miracle stuff.

>still believing in the"based Spencer, he's totally our guy" meme
C'mon OP, you know better.

Phoneposting is way too slow for my verbosity.

I mostly wanted to say that, as a pretentiousfag myself, I think artsy comics like King's just don't resonate with everyone, and I think there are people who are gonna call his work shit no matter what, like Alan Moore.

Maybe it's that some people look at cape comics as just being for entertainment, which is why you have so much backlash against any sociopolitical commentary in them. Maybe some people are simply contrarian and hate that he's gotten so much praise. There's lots of reasons.

And I have seen plenty of detailed and legitimate criticism of his comics including Mister Miracle, so that's not to say they're unquestionably good. But I think that a vast portion of the hate comes from people just not liking his type of comic. And I think in the case of Batman people expect it to be for everyone, being their biggest flagship title.

That's a lot more than I wanted to type and I won't be able to discuss it much more until next thread, unfortunately.

JMD's? that is up our alley

Also the Evanier one-shot that preceded it

I want to believe but i don't

even if he fails at least we got a doujin out of it

I appreciate the effort, user. I wouldn't exactly agree that King is artsy, and I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Moore but I think you've got several points well made. And certainly here on Sup Forums loving or hating a writer is usually a meme.

doujin fandom is fickle and yet, and yet

>BUT SALES ARE STILL TOP TEN WHICH MEANS THAT IT IS DOING GREAT!
t. Guy who was in the cbr sales thread when the June numbers got posted.

That was my first time going to cbr and boy it was a shock. He seemed unaware that even though it was in the top ten, the sales are low for an event.

It's basically a JLI spin off yeah?

Yeah, Giffen also co-wrote a two parter where Booster and Ted show up