What are your thoughts on Donny Bluth

What are your thoughts on Donny Bluth

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p6uUMPoynRc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He knows what's he's doing, but the sequels are never up to par.

I wonder if he ever wanted more people to pay attention to Space Ace, since it's only in recent years that people were even aware he did a game that wasn't Dragon's Lair.

Incredibly talented but needs someone to reel in his ideas

Great animator. Shit writer.

Peaked early and never found his stride

This basically.

Made great stuff in the 80's then quality fell off a cliff. Sort of like Frank Miller.

youtube.com/watch?v=p6uUMPoynRc

I'm so disappointed he's become a pussy sjw and will tone down daphne for the dragon's lair movie

when he's sticking it to Disney by being Don Bluth he's amazing. When he's copying Disney to stay relevant he's terrible

An American Tale is the best Bluth film

judith's death ruined him

I think he better release the Dragon's Lair teaser for non-backers already.

Godly animation director, terrible story director.

No, but close.

I loved space ace and all dogs go to heaven

Talented but never truly harnessed to the writing and directing needed to make something truly great.

Jeepers I'm a furry!

Don Bluth is just so weird to me. He's an animation genius, but it seems that he gets his wheels get stuck in the mud of the production process.

Rock-A-Doodle, Thumbelina, and Penguin and the Pebble are just bizarre scripts that I just can't see appealing to children, and I'm not surprised that they panned.

I heard that he has trouble making movies. Secret of NIMH had to be funded by giving animators shares. Penguin and the Pebble had a highly troubled production, and he wanted his name stricken off. A Troll in Central Park was supposed to have a more mature, darker, background for Stanley, and Bluth said that the film was like what happened when you don't properly nurture a child.

I like his idiosyncrasies like sparkles out the wazoo, tongues sticking out, huge fangs for villains, and broken families.

He's probably the most important independent animator since Ralph Bakshi, and demonstrated that if Disney ever lags, than someone will pick up the slack. This was proven again by Dreamworks picking up the slack in the 2000s as Disney put out a string of mediocre titles. Bluth showed that you can beat the mouse, and it didn't necessarily have to be at it's own game.

It must be sad for him personally though, to know that so many of the talented VAs with him have died. Like Dom Deluise, Elizabeth Hartman, and Judith Barsi. Bluth used Dom for a bunch of his projects, it's a shame that tragedy kept the broken Hartman and Barsi from adding their own contributions to the Bluth film mythos.

Wasn't he originally supposed to direct Ice Age?

His first several films are good and can be appreciated by any one , but after rock a doodle he kind of gave up and just made stupid kids films.

Wasn't DreamWorks created by pissed off Disney employees or something?

I really wish there was new player in the entertainment industry, things are getting stale

Oh please, do you really think he had any choice from what happened from Rock-A-Doodle onwards?

Executives wanted dumb movies for kids, and got them.

Well, there's Illumination.

Great animator, average writer. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PRODUCER.

I love the shit out of his stuff, tho.

>it's only in recent years that people were even aware he did a game that wasn't Dragon's Lair

This sounds like something a person who wasn't alive in the 80s would say.

Good art, shit plots

Their movies are made purely for money. No art of craft behind them.

The man knows how to draw attractive mice.