FF

What in-universe info do I need to know before reading Hickman's FF run? Please avoid spoilers for the story itself. I just don't want to be lost while reading. Anything I should read beforehand or is it a small enough amount that I could wiki it?

If by Hickman's FF run, you mean his whole F4/FF run, then you should be fine just jumping in. Anything you need to know will get recapped for you.

If you mean specifically the book "FF" then there's a bunch you should read before hand since jumping into FF is like jumping into a GoT at the third book. Pic related is the proper reading order.

I did mean his whole F4/FF. Thanks pal. Much appreciated

You should read Kirby's run because it's some of the best comics Marvel ever produced but also because Hickman plays a lot with F4 history and essentially all of that is laid out in Kirby's stuff.

How much of it is worth the read? I assume you mean I should start with F4 #1 but where should i stop?

When Kirby leaves the book.

Is there nothing worth reading that's either directly after he leaves or not long after?

You might want to check out the vicinity of the 160s - 180s, where Roy Thomas and George Perez get in a few good licks. Other than that, Bronze Age FF is pretty blah until John Byrne takes over with issue 232.

Not really. Not until Byrne comes on.

So Kirby's whole thing, Byrne's whole thing, then I'm good to skip all the way to right?

Simonson's brief run was also pretty great.

Waid and Wieringo's run is amazing. Don't let anyone tell you different.

I like Simonson's run. It's short, but well worth reading. Some people love Waid's run but I'm not a fan. Kirby -> Byrne -> Hickman are the three best long runs though.

Hickman's F4/FF run was the first I'd ever read of the Fantastic Four and I was just fine jumping right in without reading anything beforehand.

Hickmann used several Millar elements that was the previous run that lasted few issues, so I recommend reading Millar before reading Hickman, even though it's not great.

Does it start with #500? Also why does nothing show up right before ie 490-499 etc

Stop Byrne's run after secret wars.

God I hate it. So fucking boring.
>LOL Johnny's in a business suit!

Fucking love that run, really got me into the FF, and there's so many feelsy moments.

Plus, Sue is a babe.

I really wanted to like Byrne's run, but it was too much of downer for me. I also had a hard time swallowing the Shia'r, notorius assholes and mismanagers of the M'Kraan crustal, going after Reed or anyone else for anything.
Byrne's inking is ass on top of all that.

All the NuEarth shit was the worst thing about Hickman's run so reading Millar's run just so you have context for it is kinda counter-productive.

Same here.

>nu earth
I wondered where that shit all came from.

Writing was mediocre to shit and it was carried by the art.

People only hate that run because of what Waid did with Doom

And that's a valid dislike to have, but it doesn't take away from the run itself being amazing

His characterization for whole FF cast is shit as well.