>better than the movie
>better than the comic its based on

what went so right?
and so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e3knR0rQ934?t=3m58s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>what went so right?
Great art style, atmosphere and voice acting.

>and so wrong?
Season 3 kinda dragged its feet for too long and got the show cancelled. Shame because it was building up to something interesting.

>voice acting.
This is absolutely true. I can't think of one bad example.
You'd be hard pressed to go back to the spawn comics and not read every character in the voices from the show. They're just perfect.

Season 2 just might the most perfect adult animated story arc in existence. I love this show and miss it almost daily.

It's spawn...
The best antihero ever made, with Punisher

>Season 2

Jason Wynn had a hot whispery-voiced female assassin/bodyguard in that (a replacement for jessica priest?) but she disappeared in season 3.

WANDAAAAAAAAAAAA

It was written by someone other than Todd McFarlane, focused on one aspect of the comic (namely the action/horror aspect) making the show more cohesive in its characters and plot. Also, the Todd McFarlane intro's are GOAT.

>and so wrong?

It felt a little TOO focused on the horror aspect that some of the pulpier characters like Overkill felt out of place, which also led to no Redeemer and Malebolgia being an unseen character. The show's cancellation also meant that Angela never got to do anything.

Yup, I just finished watching it. It was surprisingly better than Season 1.

Angela was replaced by Jade, clearly Gaiman was already trying to stake his claim in the character. Why else would she show up in season 1 and then NOT be the angel that hunts Spawn in season 3?

As for the horror aspect, they spent way too much time with Spawn just sitting in the shadows, deciding if he was going to act or not. Shit got old real fast.

>Season 3

There was a season 3?

The average Spawn episode:
>Spawn is moping in the shadows, crying about muh Wanda
>Cogliostro or the Violator or the mailman come and either tell him to solve his problems or threaten him with some prophecy (which of course will never be fulfilled)
>Spawn, still quivering in the shadows, remembers his wife and his past life and cries a bit
>From his skyscraper, Jason Wynn also skulks in the shadows, and orders some evil action to be done
>Cut to Wanda fanservice
>Back to Spawn, who is still hiding in the shadows, while his homeless friends try to talk to him
>Violator says that Al Simmons belongs to Malebolgia and laughs hysterically
>Spawn is still angsting in his alleyway when a supernatural menace (or maybe just some assholes with guns) appears and Spawn spectacularly fights it... for three minutes. And now that he has left the shadows, he will take a look at his ex-family from the window, like a fucking stalker. He cries a bit more.
>Cogliostro insists that something big is coming, that everything’s going to change, that the prophecy will be fulfilled. One of these days.
>In the end, Spawn is sitting in the shadows again

Repeat for about 18 episodes.

>Malebolgia

that pissed me off the most.
With the show's art style, Malebolgia would have looked cool as fuck.
Remember how he looked in the movie, for god's sake?

>better than the comic and movie
It's not really hard to do any of these. The show had amazing atmosphere, voice acting and stylized visuals, and it ditched the pseudo-comedy whiplash of the comic for a more horror-centric approach. They had big names from Batman TAS involved.
It's not perfect by a long shot because, while they trimmed down a lot of the bullshit from the comics, there are just things about Spawn that can't be fixed. The stories are still way too repetitive, the characters are still not interesting, it's still loaded with 90s cliches and so on. I
Still, I respect it for being unique compared to other shows out there. It's an adult cartoon that isn't an comedy but instead stars a superhero with a very heavy lean towards horror and crime stories.

Completely accurate.

This is why I think Season 2 was the best because it focused the least on Spawn but instead the other characters who bumped into him, and thus you didn't get that much angsty and repetitive "WANDA!" shit.

Fuck that is pretty damn accurate. It was starting to look like the next season would have had something happen with the angels .

Also you forgot:

> Sam acts like an asshole while Twitch calmly explains something

I just assumed that Angela would've showed up in season 4 to avenge Jade or something. At first I thought it was because of the Gaiman dispute to, yet that didn't stop Cogliostro from staying on the show, despite also being created by Gaiman.

>As for the horror aspect, they spent way too much time with Spawn just sitting in the shadows, deciding if he was going to act or not. Shit got old real fast.

Yeah, I do wish they did more with the Supernatural aspects in last two seasons. Seeing Redeemer or the Curse animated would've been awesome.

>Remember how he looked in the movie, for god's sake?

I'd rather not, but having Welker reprise his role from the movie would've been neat.

desu, I think the 90's cheesy edge aesthetic is one of the best parts of Spawn and what makes it so endearing. Having a Spawn cartoon be an over-the-top action horror would've been just as good, if not even better given the crazy cast Spawn has.

I'm guessing that it was just starting to brew, and todd figured he could afford to replace angela there, but not cogliostro.

dude had his ridiculous narrations in every single episode, you couldn't just replace that.

Yeah, terry on the run and the whole bit with the kkk killer dude, it was good shit

I still remember the first fight with overkill and spawn his circling him and they're trash-talking each other like it's pro wrestling or something. Pretty funny in retrospect

you wouldn't see that shit in spawn now

side note, what is with Spawn getting his handed to him in every hand-to-hand fight? Dude was a top government assassin, you'd think he would know at least the basics.

Spawn kept on getting pitted up against supernatural/cybernetic foes and barely had a grasp on his powers and barely adjusting to his new body. Usually when he gets his shit together he's able to rapestomp them like in the first Redeemer fight.

>You will never hear Richard Dysart's narrations as Cog again

Shame that he's both retired and passed on. Guy had the perfect voice for Cogliostro. John Rafter Lee as Jason Wynn was also really good.

>John Rafter Lee as Jason Wynn was also really good.

True, Wynn was a pretty lame antagonist in the comics. Turning him into Edgy Xanatos was a good move.

Michael Nicolosi as Violator is honestly one of my favorite villain performances in any cartoon and it sold me a lot on the character. His delivery is perfect.
I'm surprised he didn't get more roles voicing villains.

violator in the show was way cooler than the comic version, he was totally in control of the situation and Spawn never even got a rematch with him

>Get with the fuckin program

>Spawn never even got a rematch with him

That's my biggest gripe with Clown in the show. Cartoon!Violator was a much bigger bastard and actually a threat, so seeing Spawn finally beat him would've actually felt satisfying.

The best combination would be Nicolosi voicing the Clown form, and Steve Blum (from the Armageddon game) voicing the Violator form.

>voicing the Violator form.
Nah, I loved his whisper voice.

>that part where he jerks off to a picture of Wanda and then cleans his hand on Spawn's cape

True, but didn't all their fights in the comic end in a draw?

>his whisper voice.

why did they change that for the second (and last) time the violator spoke?
youtu.be/e3knR0rQ934?t=3m58s

3:58 this is more how you'd expect the comic violator to sound. it sounds cool, it's just really inconsistent since in episode 2 violator says they communicate through telepathy.

ironically violator in the show was never shown killing anyone, unless you count when he was disguised as a priest (that never made sense to me in that ep)

I hate the generic anime-esque design they gave Lisa Wu in season 3.
She was a qt in season 2.

needed more overlying plot

remember when they just stopped showing spawn's body altogether, leaving him as a silhouette with a red cape and glowing eyes?

yeah, sure, stylistic. Or maybe lazyness.