/lbg/ - Letterboxd General

RATE. DISCUSS. WATCH.

Thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=D-mUjKDbDfY

QOTD: What do you think of films as entertainment?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cN0IuqgC3N8
letterboxd.com/jojonium/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8#Physics
youtube.com/watch?v=aoglkRYYBjo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

THE BEST ASS EVER MADE!
MASTERPIECE!

DING DING DING!!!!! RIGHT!

EMILYY!!! EMILLYYY PLEASE OVER HERE!!!! MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

You spent upwards to 30 minutes typing up this diatribe of ignorant nonsense. Time was never the question. It was present. There is no such thing as a flashback when what you are watching is always present. Flashback is a literary contrivance and is adapting literature to a separate medium.

One of the biggest flaws of Orson Welles. He was a storyteller first and foremost. Kane is acclaimed because it impresses the middlebrow critics with its concern of latching onto other mediums like theatre and literature. They think it elevates their medium by appeasing it

>storytelling is bad because i say so

Tey'll acclaim Man With a Movie Camera for its textbook display of technique! But when what it is advocating for (a dismissal of bourgeoisie narrative and regression to authentic capture of spontaneous life) is presented, they ignore it and continue steadfast in the mode of storytelling

The failure of Man With a Movie Camera is precisely Eisenstein's critique. An ideological failure, a lack of grasp for punctuated ideas.

You cannot make picture that merely says "I love life"

Would you rather "I hate life"?

You cannot make a picture that is merely about the picture you are making

Especially when that picture ideologically does not exist. Therefore Man With a Movie Camera is an experiment in cine-hooliganism. And like most experiments, a failure.

a real movie is a story

Is the man who sleeps good? It seemed tedious and obvious but when I realised there was English narration and switched it on it seemed like the narration stopped intruding on and undermining the simulation of derealization

One of my eggs has chicken feathers stuck to it what the FUCK!!!!!

One of my eggs has chicken feathers stuck to it what the FUCK!!!!!

I feel very secure knowing Emily is here. Thank you!!! Have good day! Remember to smile

hope this cutie patootie is having a good day!

yeah, she probably bought it in brazil

Thoughts on the Dolly Close Up technique???

Literally rebbit

>moving a camera towards someone's face is reddit

Green Lantern (2011)

Green Lantern

starring Ryan Reynolds

You're changing the physical presence of the world. It's what was done before zoom lenses. It's preferred to zooms by cinematographers because it's penetrating of reality

>mfw

Cranes, dollies, vests, grips, the list goes on!

>What do you think of films as entertainment?
Anyone who think films can ever amount to more than that, is a pleb.

death grips, dalek, yung lean, and the list goes on!

Thoughts on the Snap Zoom technique???

Yup

Shut up, faggot

Literally rebbit=the post

For me it's the MEDIUM!

youtube.com/watch?v=cN0IuqgC3N8

The medium is art

For me it is the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich.

Interesting to find out that if you put coke on Emily Jeans clit, she'd transform into a frog.

degenerate

Beep beep!
Emily is here >:]

Bruce is giving into his instincts

theres rooney

Hi friend!!!

This is real rich considering some of the flicks he likes

"We can't have that! An administration dictating to us our coverage just because they don't LIKE what we print!"

Oh, the irony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>entry level

The Sinner is really great telly.

Ludwig Stossel and Gary Cooper in The Pride of the Yankees, 1942...

>50 replies
>13 posters

Ludwig Von Beethoven

I just made 9 BOILED EGGS THE BUTTER IN MY PAN THE CHICKEN THE POTATOES THE POTATOES IN MY BACK WITH OON ON A ROLL IT WILL MELT BUTTER IN MY MOUTH WITH MY CHEST MELT INSIDE WITH MY NOSE ON A WARM TAN IN MY NECK OF MY THROAT AS THE FOOT!!!!!!!

smugemilyjean.png

I just made 9 BOILED EGGS THE BUTTER IN MY PAN THE CHICKEN THE POTATOES THE POTATOES IN MY BACK WITH OON ON A ROLL IT WILL MELT BUTTER IN MY MOUTH WITH MY CHEST MELT INSIDE WITH MY NOSE ON A WARM TAN IN MY NECK OF MY THROAT AS THE FOOT!!!!!!!

Gary Cooper is JEWISH

whateva happened to Gary Coopah

RASPBERRIES!

STRAWBERRIES!

The more I'm with you,
The more I can see;
My love is yours alone.
You came and captured
A heart that was free;
Now there's nothing I can call my own.

Everything I have is yours; you're part of me.
Everything I have is yours, my destiny.
I would gladly give the sun to you
If the sun were only mine.
I would gladly give the earth to you
And the stars that shine.

Everything that I possess, I offer you,
That my dream of happiness come true.
I'd be happy just to spend my life,
Waiting at your beck and call.
Everything I have is yours,
My life, my all.

gay

/swimmingpool

Why do you still come here

who the fuck names themself swimming pool

Every time I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you baby
And every time I see
You in my dreams
I see your face
It's haunting me
I guess I need you baby

I make-believe
That you are here
It's the only way
That I see clear
What have I done
You seem to move on easy

letterboxd.com/jojonium/

No New Year's Day to celebrate
No chocolate covered candy hearts to give away
No first of spring
No song to sing
In fact here's just another ordinary day

No April rain
No flowers bloom
No wedding Saturday within the month of June
But what it is, is something true
Made up of these three words that I must say to you

I just called to say I love you
I just called to say how much I care
I just called to say I love you
And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

>94 this year
what a cuckold

Well, how many have you watched this year?

I've only seen 94 films. That means I let my wife fuck black men.

8, a perfectly reasonable, wholesome number.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8#Physics

The religious rite of brit milah (commonly known as circumcision) is held on a baby boy's eighth day of life.
Hanukkah is an eight-day Jewish holiday that starts on the 25th day of Kislev.
Shemini Atzeret (Hebrew: "Eighth Day of Assembly") is a one-day Jewish holiday immediately following the seven-day holiday of Sukkot.

Budd Boetticher > John Ford

Henry Hathaway > John Ford

Anne Hathaway > John Ford

RASPBERRIES!

tippity top kekkles

Favorite American directors?

Mizoguchi..............................................................Kurosama

Orson Welles, Elia Kazan, Stan Brakhage, Gregory Markoupolos, Stanley Kubrick, John Ford

Oh and Jon Jost as well :)

Oh and Jon Jost as well :)

Can anyone explain to me what makes Villeneuve a great director? I know he's competent, but GREAT?

Cinematography and story are not valid answers.

villenueve's hack and whack

Can anyone explain to me what makes Lynch a great director? He's not even competent, so GREAT?

Cinematography and story are not valid answers

youtube.com/watch?v=aoglkRYYBjo

Cameron and Gibson

this

The joke is that you can explain both with the same answer

Lynch is not a storyteller

he is a redditor

A dark-haired woman is the sole survivor of a car crash on Mulholland Drive, a winding road high in the Hollywood Hills. Injured and in shock, she makes her way down into Los Angeles and sneaks into an apartment. Later that morning, an aspiring actress named Betty Elms arrives at the apartment, which is normally occupied by her Aunt Ruth. Betty is startled to find the woman, who has amnesia and assumes the name "Rita" after seeing a poster for the film Gilda starring Rita Hayworth. To help the woman remember her identity, Betty looks in Rita's purse, where she finds a large amount of money and an unusual blue key.

At a diner called Winkie's, a man tells his companion about a nightmare in which he dreamt there was a horrible figure behind the diner. When they investigate, the figure appears, causing the man with the nightmare to collapse in fright. Elsewhere, director Adam Kesher has his film commandeered by mobsters, who insist he cast an unknown actress named Camilla Rhodes as the lead in his film. Adam resists, but after being thrown out of his house when he finds his wife cheating on him, he learns that his bank has closed his line of credit and he is broke. He agrees to meet a mysterious figure called The Cowboy, who urges him to cast Camilla Rhodes for his own good. Later, a bungling hit man attempts to steal a book full of phone numbers and leaves three people dead.

While trying to learn more about Rita's accident, Betty and Rita go to Winkie's and are served by a waitress named Diane, which causes Rita to remember the name "Diane Selwyn." They find Diane Selwyn in the phone book and call her, but she does not answer. Betty goes to an audition, where her performance is highly praised. A casting agent takes her to a soundstage where a film called The Sylvia North Story, directed by Adam, is being cast. When Camilla Rhodes auditions, Adam capitulates to casting her. Betty locks eyes with Adam, but she flees before she can meet him, saying she is late to meet a friend.

Betty and Rita go to Diane Selwyn's apartment and break in when no one answers the door. In the bedroom, they find the body of a woman who has been dead for several days. Terrified, they return to their apartment, where Rita disguises herself with a blonde wig. She and Betty have sex that night. At 2 a.m., Rita insists they go to a theater called Club Silencio. The emcee explains in different languages that everything is an illusion; Rebekah Del Rio comes on stage and begins singing the Roy Orbison song "Crying" in Spanish, then collapses while her vocals continue—her performance was a recording. Betty finds a blue box in her purse that matches Rita's key. Upon returning to the apartment, Rita retrieves the key and finds that Betty has disappeared. Rita unlocks the box, and it falls to the floor with a thump.

Diane Selwyn wakes up in her bed in the same apartment that Betty and Rita investigated. She looks exactly like Betty, but is a failed actress driven into a deep depression by her failed affair with Camilla Rhodes, a successful actress who looks exactly like Rita. At Camilla's invitation, Diane attends a party at Adam's house on Mulholland Drive. At dinner, Diane states she came to Hollywood when her Aunt Ruth died and left her some money, and she met Camilla at an audition for The Sylvia North Story. Another woman who looks like the "Camilla Rhodes" from earlier kisses Camilla, and they turn and smile at Diane. Adam and Camilla prepare to make an important announcement, but they dissolve into laughter and kiss while Diane watches, crying. Later, Diane meets the hit man at Winkie's, hiring him to kill Camilla. He tells her she'll find a blue key in her apartment when the job is completed.

In her apartment, Diane looks at the blue key on her coffee table. Distraught, she is terrorized by hallucinations and runs screaming to her bed, where she shoots herself. A woman at the theater whispers, "Silencio."

Wow! Yu could make a tv series out of this!

I don't remember a good portion of Muholland Drive, and I don't care enough to rewatch it.

Surrealism doesn't interest me.

Yeah it would be like a procedural whodunit