Why did Jafar need the lamp if he could just straight up brainwash people?

Why did Jafar need the lamp if he could just straight up brainwash people?

he likes rubbing hard things

The lamp had far greater power.
He could keep manipulating the system for political power but the lamp could literally conjure whatever he wanted.

You need a brain to be brainwashed. Did you forget that the movie takes place in the middle east? There's too few people with the mental capability to even be affected by Jafar's abilities.

Because he's so old

He never used it on anyone besides the Sultan, which makes me think it doesn't work on anyone less dimwitted.

Maybe he can't hypnotize young, attractive women? I can't think of any other reason why marrying Jasmine would be a better alternative than turning her into a mindless body obeying his each and every command with no will to fight against it as her conscious thoughts dive deeper into nothingness.
Real talk it was probably cause it's not that powerful. The Sultan snapped out of it pretty quickly when Jasmine shook him right before Jafar realized Aladdin had the lamp.

>brainwash sultan
>have to do it every time you want to suggest an idea to him
>need to do it in private
admittedly not super hard because he got away with it for so long but it goes up against
>can have literally anything you want and became most powerful sorcerer in the world

Apparently the Sultan can change the law however he wants (considering how he straight up got rid of the "needs to be a Prince" stuff), so if hadn't already made Jaffar his successor at this point it's probably that the staff couldn't convince him of anything. It needed to be relatively subtle control.

The real question is why wasn't Iago tempted to use the lamp for himself when he stole it from Aladdin.

>The lamp had far greater power.

This, especially when you consider how easily Aladdin destroyed his staff.

Came here to post this.

I still feel like the whole thing should have gone down differently.

>"I wish to be the most powerful sorcerer in the world."
>"It is done"
>"But...I don't feel any different."
>"In your hubris, Jafar, you never realized that you were already the most powerful sorcerer in the world as you are the ONLY sorcerer in the world."

Tedious, looks like he can only brainwash people one at a time.

It is show that it doesnt work for so long, and even the easily manipulable Sultan was able to shake it off a little when he got surprised by what Jaffar sugested.

The implication, is that the weirder is the order, ther harder it is to manipulate someone to do it, and the effects need to be reforced.

There are sorcerers in their world tho.

The original scene had Genie pop up on the paper that the law was written on and changed the words. Sultan decided to play along with it by pretending that he suddenly realized that he'd been reading the law wrong the whole time. That version at least explains why he didn't just change the law from the beginning.

Well, one sort of kinda works until someone interrupts and only in specific situations.
And the other one is unlimited cosmic power.

but the Sultan was affected...

>There are sorcerers in their world tho.
If we assume all the Disney animated movies take place in the same universe, how many sorcerers/sorceresses does that give us?

Off the top of my head I can only really think of Jafar and Ursula.

Dr Strange (^:

You're forgetting a pretty big one

Well, to begin with, we should take in considerations the sorcerers from the Aladin tv show, and them the sorcerers from Hercules.

AND THEM the fucks that would never show up that might live in a cave on the Himalaya.

Even with his special brainwashing stick, he still couldn't convince the Sultan to let him marry Jasmine, so there are limitations to what it can do

she's a mutie, not a sorceror

I didn't say it was impossible for a Muslim to be affected. The Sultan was just one of the few smart enough for his power to have effect. Sure the Sultan has much control over the population, but that could only get you so far, essentially where Jafar already was. With a genie, he could become much more powerful.

>>"In your hubris, Jafar, you never realized that you were already the most powerful sorcerer in the world as you are the ONLY sorcerer in the world."
Literally no one in the movie talks like this

But the sultan was an idiot in that movie

So is that user.

Not as dumb as the populace, seeing as how he was in charge of them.

He only stopped needing the lamp once he wished to be a sorcerer.

Which is probably something he was trying to become for years in the first place and getting nowhere.

tv show had tons of them, and then there is the fact that it takes place around the same time as Hercules

Merlin, Madam Mimm, Malefecent, the Fairies, Fairy godmother, Grimhilde, Blue Fairy, Horned King, Enchantress, Rafiki, Yensid, the bear witch from Brave, Maui

I find it funny how someone is actually taking his shitty argument seriously.

Maui is more of a demi-god than a sorcerer. Big difference.

wow, its amazing you aren't a dripping bag o blood with all that edge your surround yourself with.

>monarchs acquire the right to rule thru merit
>next you'll tell me he commissioned the construction of that city sized palace the he, his daughter and a handful of guards live in

Genie's new VA will.

I'm not saying he earned his power through merit, but if he was dumber than the general population, then they'd overthrow him.

>"kay now hol' up, Jafar, you be all like Imma only sorcerer in dis worl. You just trippin dog, you IS the most powerful one dey is.

Is this bait?

>I'm not saying he earned his power through merit, but if he was dumber than the general population, then they'd overthrow him.

Only if him being dumber led to the situation getting so bad that a certain segment of the population felt that overthrowing him was worth it compared to just making do.

Jafar vs Elsa, who wins?

TV show says that on his youth the Sultan was a badass adventurer and swashbuckling hero.