If this episode came out today, you'd all call it "SJW"

If this episode came out today, you'd all call it "SJW".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=stHk7tOsJTw
youtube.com/watch?v=flQXmz2AReQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, because Paku was an actual misogynist and Katara actually did something to prove him wrong.

>It doesn't count because it's right!
You're in too deep.

Yea probably

I mean, its not that good of an episode regardless, its just a generic GIRL POWER episode, but atleast one that doesn't feel completely contrived

A lot of shows Sup Forums praise would have been accused of being sjw/liberal propaganda, like Wonder Showzen.
Case in point:
youtube.com/watch?v=stHk7tOsJTw

I'd call it bizarre that Katara's waterbending is so powerful now
srsly, she's never shown anywhere near that level of skill before this episode

Not OP, but I'm pretty sure it'd be something more like

>katara could barely waterbend without fucking up
>stands up to the big bad misogynistic man
>YAAAAS QUEEN SLAY
>is now a master waterbender
>is better than aang
>did a woman write this episode?

I mean if the the term was a meme at the time I would have then too. That episode was out of place in TLA.

I hated it because it was obvious guuurl power shit

It was a shit episode

I liked it because when she fights him, despite putting a good showing, she gets her ass-kicked. Righteous indignation can't suddenly make you better at something than a master training their whole life.

Katara went full mary Sue on this ep. I mean wtf she just learned how to waterbend(probably a year or so) and can face head on a master who supposedly dedicated his entire life to waterbend?

If this episode came out today, they'd probably point out that the misogynist won the fight anyway (ignoring that Katara still fought well against him) and go on a smug tirade of

>HAHAHAHAHAHA feminists are so dumb that even their stupid preaching is against their dumb beliefs, that's why I know they're always wrong and evil

And if they saw someone else mentioning this in any context, they'd go on a smug tirade of

>HAHAHAHAHA, dumb feminists are EATING EACH OTHER, they always disagree because they're always wrong and evil, look how dumb they are, even their one-dimensional monolith of evil hates itself because it's so evil and stupid

What about the previous episode where aang shows superior waterbending than Katara? How it would've turned out if it was written in 2017?

Okay guys, she does well, but she doesn't even come close to winning. He's clearly tooling on her to prove his point. He was only turned cause of personal reasons.

>written by Michael DiMartino
checks out

Didn't the master only give his okay because he wanted to fuck her grandma?

The exact same. I'm sick of this 'SJW boogeymen' bullshit.

autism

OP, it's come to the point where any female involvement whatsoever is instantly labeled "SJW".
>female writer=SJW
>female character=SJW
>female producer=SJW
>female artist=SJW
We've hit the Syndrome Singularity.

Sup Forums fucking hated Katara back when ATLA was airing, so that whole scenario got as much shit from people as you'd expect. Hell, Sup Forums still hates Katara.

In hindsight

Usually, it only happens if a women is treated as being better than a man in some way. Then it's "misadrist hypocrisy", even though it only applies in that specific context and isn't treated like a universal rule.

The irony is that hypocrisy hunters are simply becoming a mirror of their own "oversensitive bully who sees bigotry everywhere" strawman. And they're probably proud of that.

Just rewatched the fight, all of Katara's attacks were either dodged or countered. She was always a strong waterbender since the first episode where she cracked that iceberg, but during that fight all of her techniques were pretty simple.

The episode's biggest flaw is that they structured the Northern Water Tribe's society in order to have a girl power episode, so it felt forced. There is no way that society wouldn't allow female benders to fight, especially if healing is extremely easy to master; it would make all the healers rather expendable.

Even back when that ep came out it was considered hamfisted and out of place in the series OP

Exactly, this gender separation is total bullshit. An army that can heal itself would be something super useful (considering that in water tribe the army were only consisted by men) so it should be basic training to every waterbender and not only women.

you give us too much credit

Honestly, it would have been more fitting for all the men to know healing and consider straight combat to be a lesser form of the art than a combination of the two.
>This chick can't even heal bro

Cultural traditions aren't always logical, or often they are logical for the time they are developed and then slow/almost impossible to change even if they become outright harmful in more "modern" contexts.

Some common real-world examples are cooking and cleaning for yourself, yardwork, basic car maintenance, real fucking obvious useful skills for every individual to have that are nonetheless deliberately avoided by some people because "that's man's/woman's work".

Or alternatively, make the fact that she's never learned to heal seem cool. Like all the regular waterbenders are wusses because they can insta-heal, so the thought that she fights without having that ability makes them see her as somewhat feral and fitting of the shitty Southern tribe.

I'm pretty sure cooking has transcended gender at this point. This isn't even a /ck/ thing, but everyone should have a basic sense of cooking skills.

It's also gotten to the point where modern cars are difficult to work on, so that skill is actually disappearing to some degree, although basic car maintenance should still be common knowledge.

>Wonder Showzen
I would sooner strap a camera to the top of a bad dragon dildo and fuck my peehole and masturbate to that footage than to watch that shit again, let alone praise it.

She and Aang had learned from the water scroll and were basically practising every day before they got to the NWT, and besides that, Aang had been teaching her what Paku had been teaching HIM before.

In the end it doesn't really matter, at best Katara almost cut Paku with some ice, he still basically wiped the floor with her.

Someone wasn't old enough to be on the internet back then.

yes, those people have autism

The Painted Lady is a worse grrl power episode and is the worst episode in ATLA. The Great Divide was better.

Painted Lady isn't a 'grrl power' episode, it's a captain planet episode.

Would Kim Possible get slammed as SJW if it was released today?

When I watched it as a kid I didn't think it had any political content. It just seemed like another cool action show. It's sad when I see media that has female characters just for the sake of pandering to politics, whether it be right wing outrage, or left wing solidarity.

And?
How is fighting for social justice a bad thing?

Do you know who else were social justice warriors? the heroes of Persona 5. they were fighting for social justice, and guess what they were doing the right thing

Worse. It's both.

Everything talked about on the internet is SJW or Cis propaganda in someway so who cares whats what if you enjoy it thats good enough.

KORRA ROCKS

How is it girl power though? The episode doesn't make any commentary on gender at all. Are you saying that just because it features Katara?

Subjectively the story may suck for you but Painted Lady had better artwork and cinematography.

Katara was a mistake.

Actually, the whole point of the narrative of P5 was that they were all fighting for their own individual brands of justice, and that they all had their own selfish ideal as to what would be best.

The overall meaning in the end was that everyone has their own idea of justice, but that it's strictly wrong to impose that upon others unilaterally- free will is what's ultimately most important, and while we inevitably force our ideals onto others, the important facet is that it's a two way street, and that both parties have the ability to reciprocate.

Yeah seriously. With bending, there would never realistically be any discrimination against women, because physical muscle has literally nothing to do with being a good bender. (Expect maybe for Earth Bending, but then there's Toph.)

I don't think so. Kim Possible was in a weird position where it was a show starring girls that literally NO ONE cared or commented on them being girls. Even a ton of boys watched it. I guess all the action and explosions just swept all the bickering you'd normally see away.

There is actually a difference between a person who fights for social justice and an SJW. Mainly the SJW is only on the internet tweeting and bloghing on diffrent social issues, usually with a white male villain type to rail against. A social justice fighter is usually in court fighting unfair laws or being shot by tyrant regimes.

Probably but why get mad over hypotheticals

> Especially if healing is extremely easy to master

Is it? When Jeong-Jeong was talking about it he made it sound pretty rare. Granted he didn't live with waterbenders, but it seems like he'd know his shit.

It was always Gurl Powah shit. Master Paku DID beat Katara. So she didn't deserve any actual training. She loses but still wins, sounds like Pro-Female propaganda shit. Especially with the undertone about:

"My grandmother didn't want to be restricted by your shitty anti-female culture!"

Ha! As if women are actually good at being soldiers and warriors. Pure Gynocentric filth courtesy of the Avatar creators, both of them being self-hating male feminists.

That's not how i saw the meaning of the ending. the ending clearly implied that the unjust actions of humanity threaten it's own existent.

But the lesson that was learned is that humanity needs to fix the injustices by themselves, but even if the fight is ultimately a losing battle, it's still better than letting a deity take away the free will of humans.

I mean, the ending pretty clearly implies injustices are leading humanity towards an impending doom

What annoys me is there have always been episodes like this in shows, and people would have shrugged if off before, but now they act like it's an epidemic. Some SJW conspiracy and shit. Mostly it's just more of the same shit that has been going on since the 90's. People here just didn't have a hateboner for SJWs then so it didn't upset them.

Nothing more annoying than the kind of idiot who just discovered politics and thinks that things only started going wrong at the time he started noticing the things he thinks are going wrong.

It fills me great sorrow that there won't be another show where girls do something interesting without anyone pointing out that they're girls.

Strap in, boys

Very few are the people that legitimately vilify white males. but those few people are elevated by right-wingers who want to harm the cause of social justice by only showing the people who make stupid arguments.

I'm not saying the problem is non-existent, i'm claiming it's appearance is magnified by right wingers

> As if women are actually good at being soldiers and warriors.

Well I mean, in a world where they can perform magic, they could be, yeah.

Even if women could ONLY use water-bending to heal, they'd still be pretty damn useful in a military setting.

You earned this you

He couldn't teach her a lot, it was only a few moments before they were trapped

Okay but which Bad Dragon dildo? You gotta be specific or that statement doesn't carry any weight.

The gems in Steven Universe are essentially female. Gender isn't really brought up that much at all, especially compared to sexuality.

Ha Mulan

Destroyed your entire argument BOOM

>dark skinned person being sexist
Tumblr would dox the episodes' director before anyone here even watched it

SJW and insulting people buy websites is what makes Sup Forums unique

There's an almost endless number of loud mouthed crazy on either side.

>Giving someone validation on an anonymous image board.

I don't think this is the site for either of you.

I was pretty sure it was that the doom was because people weren't choosing their own justice, but following along with someone else's idea of what's right because it's what's easiest and most convenient.

Picking something and sticking to your guns is difficult, and often ends up leaving you ostracized, or sometimes just learning you've been wrong for a while about things. It's so much easier to rally behind someone else, because then even if it doesn't pan out, it's not your problem.

Each of the phantom thieves has their own way of going about coming to terms with their desire to help others being fueled by really selfish means. Their forms of justice are based on their own background, and not one single way of looking about it would be healthy for society at large. Hell, other than the fact that Shido was a condescending dick, the only thing that made him in the wrong was that he was forcing his ideology onto others in a unilateral way- what he had planned may have been in the interest of everyone overall, but the fact that he would force it onto others without others having a say ultimately was the problem.

And that's representative of a larger problem with how we treat justice, not just how we look at examples of it in history or media, but how it pans out in reality. The first step to achieving a just society is to remove any blockages from equal opportunity. From that point, everything else has to do with a shifting equilibrium of social value.

Some people debate where the equilibrium should fall, and it has a lot to do with representation of populations, classifications of peoples, and those kinds of things. Some argue that forcing it one way or the other through token representation and arbitrary classification leads to more injustice. These complex issues are what creates the shitflinging between "sjws" and people who vehemently hate them.

I don't feel I can really come to a conclusion about it, other than everyone should have opportunity.

Its appearance is downplayed by the mainstream right, if anything. Actual fighters for social justice are virtually non-existent in comparison to SJWs.

In the very first episode, Katara uses "sexist".

How does she know that world. Does feminism exist in the southern water land? Do the waterbenders even know about patriarchy? And oppression? And cultural appropriation? WHO TAUGHT KATARA THAT WORD?!?

Fuck that's a good point. I only watched one episode and it was pretty good. Wasn't really a fan of the concept but I might give it another go.

>Righteous indignation can't suddenly make you better at something than a master training their whole life.
And yet it worked in Legend of Korra for both the heroes and the antagonists.

> Who taught Katara that word

I mean, probably her grandmother, since she apparently ran away from the NWT because she was being forced into a loveless marriage + she had to live in a society which demeaned womens use of waterbending.

hell no, pakku whooped katara's ass in that fight. she only got the training she wanted because her gran gran just so happened to be his waifu. in an sjw episode, she'd have destroyed him despite having no proper waterbending training (which would completely mitigate the need for a waterbending master in the first place which is perfectly in line with the cognitive dissonance of sjws.) seriously, pakku doesn't even get touched in this fight, it's entirely one-sided. not to mention katara is asking for an actual right to do something that is not allowed specifically because of her gender, so in other words actual equality and therefore not what sjws want at all.

Actually, when this came out, I was a hardcore 14 year old liberal who got all his political opinions from MAD Magazine, and I thought rolled my eyes pretty hard at this episode.

Even now I can't stand this episode, and it's not because of the SJW boogeyman, it's because it's so cliche. The only way it could be worse is if there were an arranged marriage subpl- OH SHIT, I forgot, there was one! Except the storyline was stretched through the entire finale arc!

Yes, that makes all the sense.

HOWEVER, for the word "sexist" to exist, feminism must also. Katara should have used "woman hater", or "selfish boy". The word "sexist" just does not belong in a fantasy world like that. Fuck the writers who thought it was an okay choice.

Katara is told by the old water bending lady that there is nothing left for her to teach her after what seems like a day.
Healing being a rare and extremely precise technique makes much more sense and would emphasize Katara's role to the team. I think it's just inconsistent writing for the NWT arc so there's some drama before the Fire Nation attack.

How do they know English?

> there is nothing left for her to teach her after what seems like a day.

I thought that was just because she had a knack for it or something, I mean she basically discovered the ability completely by accident because of Aangs fire-bending incident.

Also, I thought that was over a few days or something at least anyway, weren't they hanging around the NWT for a while before the fire nation showed up?

I thought this is what OP was getting at.

Worst fight in terms of power rankings to me was when the group fought their way into the royal palace in Ba Sing Se, like, I know that sans Sokka, they were all really talented, but it was still 4 people versus a huge contingent of highly trained earthbenders whose job it is to protect the fucking king, and they just get absolutely steamrolled by the group.

I mean it was cool to watch and all as an action sequence, but it feels like a head on attack like that should have been a smidge tougher to pull off.

Named characters can best mooks unless it is necessary for the named characters to lose to fulfill the required length of the production.

Sure, just felt like regardless of their status of main characters, it should have at least been a bit harder to storm the royal palace head on.

Just made me think "No wonder the Earth Kingdoms losing the war"

Have you considered that feminism exists in the world of Avatar, user?

No. Because it cannot.

why its not part of your head canon

Oh. Alright then.

He wasn't trying to kill her. Katara was going ham and he was holding back. She surprised him exactly once.

>How is fighting for social justice a bad thing?

What's grrrl power about the painted lady? It's not about only Katara or Toph could have saved that village Aang could have done it if he wanted to. Sokka probably could aswell if he had wanted to. It just so happens to fit with Kataras character that she would set out to help these people, and she still needed the others help to do it in the end.

I actually did complain and rolled my eyes when katara managed to do all that shit she clearly had no skill level to do just seconds ago. I just didn't know were to complain about it.

memes were a mistake

She'd been training for a fair while up until that point, they also had the water bending scroll to get some idea's about what they could really do with water bending.

Even then, Katara gets fucking demolished, Paku was basically just playing around, and the closest she got to actually doing damage to him with a bit of ice STILL missed.

>Usually, it only happens if a women is treated as being better than a man in some way.

Nah, look at all the bitching regarding Rick&Morty, even months before premiering.

Weren't they just known as Girl power episodes back then instead?

And i think the difference these days is mostly that both sides run with these things either calling it SJW or Progressive. The entire thing is just more politicized these days.

It also seems more likely that it could take over a show now since there are shows dedicated to these topics now, or creators are reaching for the approval by dedicating their show/episode to the trend.

Plus, we saw in episode 1 that Katara had ridiculous talent for waterbending, regardless of her lack of any training. That's how Aang got freed from the iceberg in the first place.

It's like how in real life, somebody who's got incredible physical talent can become a great athlete a lot faster once they start being trained in their sport of choice than somebody who's physically average, even if the physically average guy has been working at it for longer.

this ep of rocko
youtube.com/watch?v=flQXmz2AReQ

Except people call this out all the time for being shit, OP.

>Katara went from being weak as shit to learning faster than the Avatar and matching geniuses like Aang, Toph, Zuko, and Azula.

>Zuko
>genius

SJW detected. Fuck off.