Did anyone find that Kataang lacked romance?

Did anyone find that Kataang lacked romance?

Not that it wasn't developed. No, it's developed perfectly well. But I just didn't feel any... chemistry, I guess, between Aang and Katara. I saw the final pairing coming from miles away but I didn't find it satisfying in a really romantic, endearing way. I didn't really feel that way about any pairing other than Suki and Sokka, actually.

Other urls found in this thread:

aceofgallifrey.livejournal.com/11425.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Did anyone find that Kataang lacked romance?
Yes, I agree with you compl-
>Not that it wasn't developed. No, it's developed perfectly well.
no.

I didn't really see it in Suki and Sokka either.

It was shit

It was war time. Not a lot of time for it. I imagine one the war was over I imagine they developed more. Not like Aang put a ring on it right away.

Was the Fire Nation really the bad guys? What is wrong with uniting the world under one empire and culture exactly? Individualism and difference breeds discontent and creates constant conflict and hate between people.

It was better than Korrasami at least, but both were done pretty poorly.

For real, Ozai did nothing wrong.

But Aang let go of his earthly attachments, how can he has any feelings for Katara after that?
Wasnt that the whole point of why he didnt opened all the chakras in season 2?!

It's the weakest part of the finale. Since the tension in Day of Black Sun is never resolved, and Katara's part of the finale doesn't connect with the pairing that occurs through the rest of the show.

He pussed out at the last second and if it wasn't for the water from the Spirit Oasis from the Northern Tribe he would have been fucked.

I thought it was cute.

Anyway romance is one way to do things but their situation falls more into the friends/companions to lovers kind of deal which is fairly common too. Not everything needs to be grand gestures and such.

>those tits
Holy shit is this real?

No.

>was going to commit genocide against the entire Earth Kingdom
>nothing wrong

They're on par with one another in my opinion. I reckon a lot of people only view Korrasami as worse because it's LoK, and because Bryke were virtue signalling douches.

Be he did open the chakra in his battle against Ozai.
Else he would have lost because he was unwilling to kill him and needed the power of the avatar state to subdue him instead.

>Not everything needs to be grand gestures and such.

Yeah but I feel like I should FEEL something between two people who are supposed to be in love. I feel like I should feel a spark, an allure, a connection, a chemistry. I feel like there needs to be, I don't know, a kind of electricity between them, and I really didn't feel it between Aang and Katara.

Pic related, Big O has my favorite animated romance ever, and you can definitely feel the chemistry between Roger and Dorothy by the end. You sort of feel the yearning between them.

Not really.
You knew it was coming from the first episode with TLA. Bryke admitted that it wasn't even the plan at first. It only sorta gets developed in the last season, and even then it felt like it was completely out of left field for a lot of people. Justifiably, I'd like to add.

Yes. I remember that in one episode, Aang suddenly found Katara attractive. I remember that it aired around Valentine's Day and Nickelodean had all the new premieres be Valentine's related so it makes me wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Yes.

You know, I was gonna try and argue with you about it being subjective but Roger and Dorothy is a patrician tier ship and I can't fight taste like that

His successor(s) however, were fucking batshit insane

If you actually watch the episode, Aang FAILS to let go of his earthly attachments. This would actually be the first of several times he goes against the advice of the Avatar Gestalt.

They told him to let go of Katara, AND to kill the fire lord. He said no to both.

That is one of many reasons I found Korra less impactful. She just took the no killing trope for granted. In Aangs case, it was legitimately advised "no, you gotta kill this nigga he crazy" making his morality something he actually had to stand up for and prove could work.

God, the writing quality for the original show was good...

Ever see Korra's?

>make the qtest genki brown action grill
>make her a fucking insufferable fuck up moron like holy shit

It still hurts

How could they not get how to do an in your face, assertive character in a series that already had fucking Toph?

I found Korra and Asami getting together at the end of LoK more believable than Aang and Katara getting together at the end of ATLA.

Because at least with Korrasami, their relationship developed somewhat in season 3 and 4. You could see how they got closer. With Kataang, Aang kissed Katara, and as the other user said, that tension was never resolved. We never saw a change in their relationship, how they interacted, and all we got from Katara is that she was confused by it. If anything their relationship deteriorated slightly in the final season, understandably but still. To go from that to being so assured of her feelings right after the war was over wasn't believable to me.

They were both shit though.

>fails
In Season 2 he chose not to do it.
Then the chakra is blocked and he cant enter the avatar state.
Ozai pushes his shit in and he opens the chakra, becomes the avatar and beats Ozai.
The question was how that opening the last chakrea int he fight against Ozai had no impact on his feelings directed to Katara..

>In Season 2 he chose not to do it.
No, he opened all his chakras a the end of book 2, the only block he had in season 3 was physical after the lightning strike from Azula.

Wait, the stone thing in the finale was really just physical?
God this makes it so much worse.

Yeah, they probably should've held off from the chakra stuff until the finale of book 3. Maybe they could've tied the energybending power into as well, and kill two birds with one stone.

It's even more frustrating because The Cave of Two Lovers was such a great episode that had actual tension and chemistry between the two, only for it to be completely forgotten about and never mentioned again.
Seriously, this should have been the moment that they referred back to, wondering both externally and internally if they had actually, sincerely meant it or were just caught up in the moment and romance of the whole situation.
Besides, Aang is a monk, and should have learned by the end of S3 to detach himself so that he could be the Avatar the world needed, giving him a bit more of a somber ending as he kind of rides into the sunset alone while Katara wistfully looks on.

>Aang is a monk, and should have learned by the end of S3 to detach himself
I think everyone agreed that the detachment thing was a bad idea, especially when it only gets you a power-up he would learn to activate at will later on like every other Avatar. Like Roku more or less said, it's hard to be the world's protector when you don't give two fucks about it or it's people.

why do they let Ozai shitpost from a jail cell

Bryke didn't have Ehasz around to whack them on the nose with a newspaper every once in awhile...or every twenty or so seconds.

>God creates Man
>Man creates Robot
>God falls in love with Man
>Man falls in love with Robot, who falls in love back
>God is a cuck, starts furiously hitting backspace on reality so Man has to calm her down while Robot stares at her with a fucking smug ass grin
Big O was a really good fucking show

Maybe they weren't actually expecting to get picked up for Season 3.

I like parts of season 3, but I kind of wonder whether we'd have been better off without it and had Crossroads of Destiny as an unresolved cliffhanger.

I wished I didn't have to find out that it was all leading up to Aang being handed the solution to his character arc without having to earn it and for a pointed rock to be the only reason his dumb ass didn't die.

Hey now, book 3 had its problems, but I would much rather have it than nothing at all. I'd say Aang earned the victory even if he did get a bit lucky. Also, can you imagine the posts on Sup Forums to this day bitching about how ATLA never got a 3rd season?

Is that what Big O was about? The blonde chick was god?

Because that shit just became... what? by the end

AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS AUDIO CAPTCHA SHIT?

you sound like a bitch

No pairings in TLA had any chemistry with each other.
Very few fictional pairings do though.

That's because they had written Zutara as canon up until the last possible second and then retconned it once they realized Aang had to have a romantic lead for Nick to go ahead with 4 seasons. It paid off because the rest of the show is awesome, but you can tell that Katara and Aang wasn't the first choice.

Fuck off, Ozai.

ayyyyyyyy a tuff guy howzit goin brah

The finale was kinda rushed. 1 episode before the finale Katara doesn't want to be with Aang and in the last three parts of the finale Katara and Aang didn't have the time to develop thier character because Aang was gone from the group for like 2 episodes and suddenly at the very end she wants to be with him. It's like the writers just want to wrap things up so quickly it's really odd.

>best ship right here
>never made the cut
I hate this timeline.

Basically the guru was wrong and there's more than one way to open them.

What qualifications did that guy have to be an authority on how the Avatar state works anyway?

> #
>Basically the guru was wrong and there's more than one way to open them.
Lolwut? The guru was spot-on. Aang was able to unlock most of his Chakras with him, then unlocked his final one in the Season 2 finale, but got blindsided by Azula, and the lightning damage fucked his chakras up on a physical level. The hit to the back during the Ozai fight only was able to recalibrate it physically because Aang had already done the spiritual legwork.

Emotional detachment is not something you just do one day and then your brain is locked in that position forever, bro.

Nor is it actually healthy or right. Almost every fiction ever written in which the main characters are repressed monks is basically a lesson in how that's a fuckin' bad idea. Look at what fuckups the Jedi are in the Star Wars prequels.

Are you seriously telling me Lucas' inept Jedi order is some kind of profound lesson on how being a monk is bad?
Do you even have the beginnings of a fucking clue what monks even do?

No one cares whether the show's spiritual philosophy aligns with yours. That has no bearing on the internal consistency.

>Do you even have the beginnings of a fucking clue what monks even do?

Yeah, they live alone and try to shed their bodies and become purely spiritual beings by not caring about anything mortal.

Except that's not what monks do in FICTION in which they're kung fu heroes. Fiction monks never achieve any religious enlightenment, they either become some sad, lonely old hermit, mentor a kid, and die to further their path along the hero's journey, abandon the way to get a girlfriend and a happy ending, or they become an autistic villain because they were taught to bottle all their emotions their whole life.

Aang should've had a growth spurt.

Kind of, but at least it was consistently built up throughout the show's run and not just pulled out of thin air. And at least they did seem to show genuine affection for each other, unlike the thot Zuko ended up with

>There are "people" on Sup Forums who actually consider Korrasami a better built relationship than Kataang.

There are no depths you contrarians won't sink to, is there?

the entire aang x katara romance is BORING as hell, is just teasing, they never talk to each other about their feelings.
heck i hate zutara but damn katara spend far more time talking about feelings with Zuko than with aang, is just retard stupid.

This.

Zutara was so much more interesting and hotter than ANYTHING Kataang gave us.

Nah, Kataang was just that badly put together.
>contrarians
Fuck off. Not everyone who disagrees with you or what's popular is being contrarian for the sake of it. If you disagree, explain why, instead of using ad hominem.

I'm not even arguing just how good Kataang was, but to say Korrasami was better? You're either a contrarian or a faggot.

>More ad hominem
Here's my post Please explain what you disagree with and why. If you can't be bothered, fine, but at least I've made an argument.

At least Kataang had more than one scene that showed that they were romantically interested in each other.

Korra had MAYBE one, and that blushing scene is fucking pushing it.

>they never talk to each other about their feelings.
Uh, they don't because it would make things weird, but by the time of the end of S2 at least their feelings were mutual, which was confirmed again during the Black Sun invasion. After that the only time they talk about it is at the Ember Island Players because it comes up and it's still conflicting.

"Spending time talking about feelings" is also not an incredible factor in a relationship, though it is an essential one. What's more long-lasting valuable to a relationship is mutual respect and understanding, which Katara and Aang developed in spades. It's more valuable than "we have a lot in common in our backstories and contrast each other".

That pairing was far, far worse than Kataang from a storytelling perspective. People only think it's better because of no age gap, and the guy not being "pushy" (which was BS anyhow).

Yes, and that's one thing that's bad about Korrasami. The hints were too fucking subtle. I did call it happening like halfway through season 4 though.

They retconned it because ATLA was cut short at 3 seasons, not because of Nick. Stop making shit up.

By contrast, Korrasami wasn't put together at all. At least Kataang had consistent hints. Korrasami was, by the admission of the creators, thrown in basically at the last minute.

They were expecting to get a 4th season, and maybe a 5th, when the movie happened. No 3rd season wasn't even a serious possibility.

What? Bryke had 3 seasons planned out from the start.

There was never going to be a S4. Kataang was also endgame from the beginning.

Stop making shit up.

>The finale was kinda rushed.
Which finale was more rushed, this one or Gravity Falls'?

Proofs?

>The hints were too fucking subtle. I did call it happening like halfway through season 4 though.

>By contrast, Korrasami wasn't put together at all. At least Kataang had consistent hints. Korrasami was, by the admission of the creators, thrown in basically at the last minute.

There are fans who perceived chemistry between them as early as the end of season 3 and everyone dismissed it as "yuri goggles" and "they'll never have the balls".

SECRET TUNNEL! SECRET TUNNEL! SECRET SECRET SECRET SECRET TUNNEL!

Gravity Falls no question.

There are fans that perceived the scene in S1 when Zuko captured Katara as chemistry.

Don't listen to fans. They're retarded.

'Hints' but no real development. If you added in just a few more teases that Korra and Asami are starting to develop romantic feelings for each other, then it would work just fine.

Kataang doesn't make sense even with that.

He did! Pay attention next time.

>Kataang doesn't make sense even with that.

How so?

To quote my earlier post

>With Kataang, Aang kissed Katara, and as the other user said, that tension was never resolved. We never saw a change in their relationship, how they interacted, and all we got from Katara is that she was confused by it. If anything their relationship deteriorated slightly in the final season, understandably but still. To go from that to being so assured of her feelings right after the war was over wasn't believable to me.

I thought there might've been something there at the end of season 3, but I figured I was looking too much into it. Then the letters thing and the hair blush thing happened, so at that point I felt pretty confident they were alluding at something more.

Alright, dumbfucks. Anyone who says Kataang didn't have real development from Katara's side needs to rewatch the following episodes right now:
>The Fortuneteller
>The Cave of Two Lovers
>The Headband
>The Day of Black Sun Part 1: The Invasion
And those are only the episodes with EXPLICIT romantic moments. There's much more implicit stuff throughout the rest of the show:
aceofgallifrey.livejournal.com/11425.html
The second half of Book 3 has only the finale kiss as an actual example because the writers apparently decided to drop Kataang from the story at that point. They even put in the EIP scene to hammer that point home. AFAIK it was saved at the last minute at Bryke's insistence.

>hey, remember this one time she blushed!
>a-also they danced together this one time...
None of that is 'real' development.

This. Romance gets acclerated during conflict

More than you get out of most romances on Sup Forums anyway.

Most cartoons don't actually do romance all that well because kids don't fully grasp it yet so settling for blushes and maybe a kiss at the end is the best you get.

Fuck off marx

>because kids don't fully grasp it yet
Oh dear... you don't interact much with kids these days, do you user?

He's a 100 year old man, old guys get to fcu young pussy.
Don't you have an exhentai account?

I'm an oldfag, I don't know what the kids these days are up to. I just know that even if I thought girls were cute when I was a kid I still didn't understand things like how an actual relationship works until I was older.

Aang and Zuoko basically did just that in making Republic City anyway

>Did anyone find that Kataang lacked romance?
>Not that it wasn't developed. No, it's developed perfectly well. But I just didn't feel any... chemistry
pic related was the only one couple that had any kind of real chemistry between them in the show

This guy gets it

It was kinda flat for a romance. There was no sparks, except by Aang's side and many of Katara's best interactions aren't with Aang. By the end, it looked like they ended up together was purely mandatory.

I have the feeling that it is one of those cases where the romance would have felt more perfectly normal if the genders were reverased.

Every time I see this, I get upset. There's no way in hell korra OR that woman's breasts are 32D. Whoever made that also didn't take bras into account. Whatever it is people wear under their clothes would affect the breast shape, and korra probably isn't just free-boobing it throughout the whole show. I have no clue about the girl in the photo, but I'd put korra at closer to 30G. Look up brabandproject if you don't believe me.

I'm passionate about tits.

Kataang was shit because Katara was shit, and the show would've been better off without her.

>I found Korra and Asami getting together at the end of LoK more believable
Your opinion is wrong and irrelevant.

I thought I was the only one sent into a blind rage by that image. Bras do not work that way.

This.