‘Rick and Morty’s’ First Female Writers Speak Out:

‘Rick and Morty’s’ First Female Writers Speak Out: ‘Resisting the Change Will Make Things Worse’

WUB A LUB A DUB DUB!

indiewire.com/2017/08/rick-and-morty-first-female-writers-adult-swim-dan-harmon-1201865720/

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/meet-women-behind-rick-mortys-third-season-1028204
imdb.com/name/nm0572982/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Dan and Justin state that there were no female writers on the first two seasons because women weren't interested in the material
>Rick and Morty becomes popular
>suddenly have five women writing for Rick and Morty
Really makes you think

>Resisting the Change Will Make Things Worse
>Anons who resist the change shit up the catalog by making multiple threads about this that are pretty much redundant since all that's needed is one
I mean... from what I've been seeing, the anons resisting aren't proving them wrong.

It's ironic that one of the most feminist societies on the planet has so many problems with female participation.

>genuinely fun and entertaining show becomes popular
>roasties come in and ruin it for everyone
Every fucking time.

So you're saying she's a funny writer because she won an award?

>94602634
Fuck off trip faggot, not even giving you a (you)

Jude (((((((Dry)))))))
They are not even hiding it anymore

That wasn't what i was saying, stop using strawman arguments

Friendly reminder to ignore trip faggots and trip faggots threads

It's funny because literally the only people who don't like the change are basement betas and people who troll Sup Forums and edgy meme pages. Normies are embracing the change completely.

Yes it is.

Well that doesn't sound creepy at all.

do people have nothing better to do than piss and moan about the gender of the writers.

Make it worse? Go for it bitch, see what happens to your ratings

>Only Losers and Virgins dislike this, teehee.

No it's not.
I said she had better credentials than many of the male writers working there, and i also said pickle rick is a universally loved episode.

I didn't say she is funny because she had good credentials.

>‘Rick and Morty’s’ First Female Writers Speak Out: ‘Resisting the Change Will Make Things Worse’
>Four women writers reveal how Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland's zany animated sci-fi comedy is changing the status quo at Adult Swim.

>Created by Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland, “Rick and Morty” is the zany sci-fi family comedy that keeps on surprising. Cycling through multiple timelines, alien life forms, and human insecurities with a maniacal glee, the animated series flew under the radar at first, with Harmon’s eccentricities caused fans to wait a years in between seasons. Now, “Rick and Morty” is back in full swing, and better than ever. That’s largely due to some fresh blood in the writers room — now fifty percent female, not counting the showrunners.

>“That’s just incredibly rare, unfortunately,” Jessica Gao told The Hollywood Reporter. “More often than not, I’m the only woman in the room or the only person of color — or I’m both. So, having a balanced room just makes things a lot easier for women in the sense that you feel you can pitch things and someone else will understand you.”

>The most experienced of the four new women writers, Gao previously worked with Adult Swim on “Robot Chicken,” where she was also that show’s first woman writer. She has had a good experience with the network, but recognizes it is limited to just two shows. “”It’s a bummer that [Adult Swim] don’t have any female [showrunners] and it definitely has the vibe of a boy’s club,” said Gao.

>Jane Becker, Erica Rosbe, and Sarah Carbiener were “Rick and Morty” fans before landing the gig, and didn’t see anything sorely lacking in the show’s female characters. “I don’t think they ever didn’t give Summer and Beth their due,” said Carbiener. “It wasn’t like we showed up and said, ‘Where are all the Beth episodes?’… [N]ow that there are women in the room we can vet them and make them better.”

Both are wrong though.

Rickmancing The Stone and Pickle Rick have the highest ratings of ANY rick and morty episodes.

It's not even close actually, they are by far the most watched episodes in the series

FYI, when Drumpf is overthrown we will have a mandate to kill you all.

>All four writers felt welcomed and supported by the existing team. “There was no pushback. There was no weirdness,” said Becker. She acknowledged that was a rarity. “Women are definitely underrepresented in all aspects of Hollywood, and I think when you feel underrepresented you’re not going to last, because it’s so hard.”

>Despite Adult Swim’s poor track record, (network executive Mike Lazzo once said “women don’t tend to like conflict”), Becker is optimistic about the future. “I think resisting the change will make things worse. It’s good that we pointed out a problem and I hope Adult Swim is going to try and change it by hiring more female showrunners.”

>Read the full interview here: hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/meet-women-behind-rick-mortys-third-season-1028204

Mike McMahan was a producer assistant for southpark and he doesn't have any notable writing credentials, yet he got accepted writing for rick and morty:
imdb.com/name/nm0572982/

That's objectively worse than the credentials of Jessica Gao (pickle rick writer) who wrote for Silicon Valley and numerous other shows

>I turned myself into a pickle

Posting off topic is against the rules

That shit I hate the fucking most. Literally women bitching that men are keeping them down but really the problem lies with them not applying themselves unless something is ALREADY a guaranteed success, then they're eager to ride the dick. None of them would bat an eye twice if Roiland was looking for female writers and R&M was an unpopular show with low ratings. You think any of them would be ecstatic to submit their resumes to Mr. Pickles if word got out they wanted more women writers?

It's the STEM debate all over again.

Harmon has gone on the record several times saying that the writing credits are bullshit and each writer gets credited for one episode so they don't have to pay them for every episode they work on in the writer's room.

He's said that every episode is a group effort, and that the only major contribution the female writers have made is that the men have an easier time pitching sexist ideas.

Fair enough.
Here, have this.

No, I'm looking at his IMDB page and not only has he written more, but he's written better episodes.

Also, judging a episode's quality by ratings alone is nonsense. It's caused by marketing and hype. You're saying that everyone who watched it liked it.

Thx for this

Any thread that has crazy in it is pretty much pointless

So's shitposting which you're doing.

He written good episodes for rick and morty, but when he was hired it wasn't a part of his credentials, genius.

He had terrible credentials before he got accepted to rick and morty

Please do! Love target practice

>resisting the change will make things worse

Jesus Christ can they make it sound any more ominous?

I wish I cared enough about all of this to claim that their statement triggered memories of rape within me.

Nope, he's done more work on some great stuff. Meanwhile your hearthrob has done... pretty much nothing.

Demoralisation is the goal, remember that.

>womanhating "anti-SJWs" on the internet
>productive members of society
Funny joke.

>biotroll
Man I hate Sup Forums tripfags. Thanks for ruining my day

Except rick and morty his only writing credits are two episodes on "Axe Cop".

He literally written only two episodes EVER before he was hired for rick and morty.

compare this to the credentials of the female writers who got hired recently - they definitely have better credentials. based on the credentials i would have hired them over him if it was up to me desu

?

Thats because theres been an ungodly amount of hype since S2's end. I remember 4+ months after S2 ended R&M started blowing up on reddit and imgur, memes were being made about #FreeRickSanchez, Mr.Meeseeks, Tiny Rick, and all the other spewing bullshit. Since S3 took so long to release it built up too much hype. Not even S2 had this much hype, it was still under the radar a bit.

i'm not mad that they are hiring female writers. i have a problem with hiring people based on race/gender instead of talent. so far it seems she is doing a good job so i'm not upset.

>Lost 0.5 millions viewer
Well, look like I still have some hope in humanity

Years of work as writing assistant and production assistant on shows would fail to someone who's biggest work was... Might B and Annoying Orange.

Thank heavens you're not in charge of hiring.

>Ignoring the fact they actually earned viewers compared to any other season

I really don't fucking care, I could give two shits about whether or not they're women. For the love of god please stop tooting your own horn and prove yourself by making quality content. If you want to truly delegitimize the complaining this is the only thing you can really do.

You falsely represent the credentials of Gao.
she wrote for a shit ton of shows and she was nominated for awards for her writing in Silicon valley.

That's objectively superior to the credentials of Mike McMahan who only wrote 2 episodes on an obscure show in his entire career before he was hired

They earned liberal appeal, something that fades after the appeal wears off.

Nope. it was because alot of people were hyped for the new season and the new episodes were actually great

Hey Sup Forums how are you doing today?

Awards are joke these days. More politically motivated than merit motivated

Normies don't even notice. You really think Joe Shmoe gives a fuck who writes his funny meme pickle rick lol show

Fuck off honestly.
Even you can't deny Gao has better credentials than McMahan

>Your resistance only makes my tits harder.

you don't win argument by telling people to leave0

>Female progressive writer nominated for awards
>Sign of talent and not sign of reward for political hygiene.

Please.

>Resisting the Change Will Make Things Worse
I DO NOT HAVE A SUFFICIENT LEXICON TO DESCRIBE HOW COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY FUCKING LIVID THIS MAKES ME
I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS, WHEN IT IS OR HOW IT IS, I DO NOT NOW OR EVER WANT MY MEDIA BEING HELD HOSTAGE FOR POLITICAL OR SOCIAL ACTIVISM

Reminder

Yes I can, because McMahan's writing credits while slim, also extend to his other work and are of higher quality than Gao's. Also, you're picking a very slender argument here because it's only one with a slight chance of succeeding. She's a bad writer.

I'm telling you to leave because i already won.

Gao OBJECTIVELY has better credentials than McMahan, it's not even close. there isn't even an argument to be made here, it's just a fact

Stop making the same posts in every thread and go back to Sup Forums

Did she pitch something when the show wasn't popular like he did?
You argument have zero value outside of the proper context.

Hi Dan

> McMahan, only wrote 2 episodes for an obscure show

> Gao, wrote for plenty of shows including the succesful show Silicon Valley

I will repeat this: there is no argument to be made here. Gao objectively has better credentials

Except she doesn't. You haven't proven anything, other than she wrote bad episodes for bad shows and got nominated for a reward for shoddy work.

I'm holding out for a normal Rick-and-Morty-only episode before I pass complete judgement, but so far, I feel this season has wildly exacerbated season two's problems.

ok Tumblr

No, she doesn't. She has credentials as a writer, not as a good writer. McMahan has credentials as a good writer and as a good production and writer assistant.

>there are people who give a crap about internal writer shit
Just watch the episodes faggots.

Do you really feel that Pickle Rick was a good episode? I felt it was kinda clumsy, and the lack of Morty hurt it.

That's how i know you are a brainless hack: you claim McMahan was a good producer assistant when you literally have no idea what he did as a producer assistant.
I bet you also never watched a single show Gao wrote for yet you claim her work is "shady" because you are desperate to win this argument.

I will repeat this: fuck off.

Pickle Rick was an excellent episode in my opinion, but i respect your opinion if you don't like it.

I'm not desperate to win the argument, which you started and keep trying to win. You keep saying that McMahan had no credentials when he has credentials and has proven himself to be a good writer on the show.

Meanwhile you point to someone who has a record of bad writing and say that's proof they're more qualified. Now, you keep bringing this up, trying to convince people that you're right.

If someone brings two expertly crafted pieces of short prose and the other brings you a massive binder full of shitty fan fiction tier writing, which do you hire?

Now you fuck off back to Sup Forums where they're all celebrating that you've left them to try and gain attention here.

I don't think there was anything progressive about her SV episodes.

stfu you tripfag. no one takes you seriously with that tag.

So the female writer was at least a part of
>Pickle Rick
>The Mouse scene
>Shitting on Beth and exposing her as the weak link in the family
>"So you're a liar"
I don't see a problem.

If McMahan was a female, you would NEVER say he was a "great production assistant".

you would instead say: "Look she just was a production assistant!!! lol she has shit credentials!"

You know it's true

It was a dull episode, the comedy wasn't sharp and the whole thing seemed vanilla.

>Tripfag calling out a tripfag

So are the the Sup Forums equivalent of Barneyfag

Cause it looks like it so far

Fucking this. I don't give a shit about muh female writers.

Rick being by himself the entire episode and Morty having like 5 lines after the cold open ruined it.

15 minutes of Rick beating up rats and out smarting dumbasses with obnoxious nihilistic quips every minute or so isn't funny. Was the violence supposed to be funny? Because it felt out of place and boring.

The show works best when Rick and Morty are together.

>One was part of greats shows, the other wasn't.
>You hate her because she is a woman
Retard
www.imdb.com/name/nm0572982/
www.imdb.com/name/nm2005299/

You completely ignore my argument.

Mike McMahan wasn't a part of those shows as a writer, he was just a producer assistant.
If he was a female, you would have held this against her and say: "look! she was just a production assistant!"

Don't try to deny this

I will, because Gao wrote poorly and McMahan did good work. In your world, McMahan would never get in the gate. Why? Because he's a man.

Don't deny this.

Rick is too reckless when he's on his own, he needs a robin,like batman, he needs someone to slow him down to think for a seccond before he gets everyone killed.

I'm really starting to hate these talentless hacks, waste of space female writers. They've contributed nothing of value to the show and made it less funny and watered down. When is everyone going to realize that women will never be funny as men?

Dude, you're as fucking reddit tripfag nobody cares about your argument you have proven throughout multiple threads to have shit taste, tumblr standards for quality and even manifestate some taste for pedo shit, please fucking "walk away... walk away... walk away..."

Go back to Sup Forums. You're attention seeking and have latched onto something to make your dick hard with smugness.

Gao wrote for Silicon Valley, a successful and famous show, and plenty of other shows.

Mike McMahan only wrote two episodes of an obscure show no one cares about in his entire career

You have to go back

Do you really think what make a good Rick and Morty episode as anything in common with Silicon Valley?

I'm surprised how few people outside of Sup Forums have picked up on "roastie", the way certain people went fucking apeshit over "cuck" and "snowflake".

Classic, people can't win an argument against me so they resort to ad hominem.

I totally haven't seen this coming! it's not like i saw people using this exact same trick thousands of times before

Way better than the credentials of McMahan who wasn't even a writer for the majority of his career, and he only wrote two episodes of an obscure show before he was hired

>when Sup Forums still listened to metal

>Silicon Valley
>Famous and successful

Come off it.

Except we have won against you. You refuse to accept the counter to your proposal, and shake your head.

This really rustles my jimmies to the extent where I have trouble formulating a sentence that adequately express my anger.

Still don't care faggot you still have to go back