Status Quo

>show maintains status quo
>"REEEEE THE WRITERS ARE TOO PUSSY TO CHANGE ANYTHING"

>status quo shifts
>"REEEEE WHY DID THEY GIVE HER WINGS?"

So, should it change? Are there any cartoons that did it well?

are you Barneybaiting?

Sup Forums is going to bitch about anything, because believe it or not, people on this board have different opinions and like different things.

Some people like when the status quo changes, and vice-versa. Sup Forums is not a hivemind. You didn't have to make a thread for this.

Barney only responds to images

Is that from a new episode? Jesus fuck, I'm seriously boycotting Nickelodeon! This is unacceptable!

No one likes your shilling, Barneyfag

Were you watching a redbull commercial?

>REEEEE WHY DID THEY GIVE HER WINGS
This. She clearly ordered tendies.

I don't have anything against status quo shifts. However the problem some cartoons have, along with many comics with the abrupt change in premise and direction. Its cheating your audience a bit.

I'll go with the Ultimate Alien to Omniverse example. UA was a very series chapter in the Ben 10 series, and its followed up by the relatively lighthearted and humoristic Omniverse. I actually like Omniverse more, but its not inaccurate to say people were blown aback by the sudden shift in style. At that point its practically a different show.

And comics are probably a far more egregious example. Rather than relying on solid story telling and naturally moving narrative, comics feel better wanting to shake the status quo so abruptly and significantly that it doesn't give you time to process the changes. This wouldn't too bad if they dealt with the consequences of these shake up, but far too often they wish to sweep it under the rug or lazily conclude it that no one feels satisfied in the end.

In short, change things up, but be mindful about it, and don't treat your audience like idiots.

>people are still mad after 4 years

Lee is too upset about getting kicked out of the band right now to respond

Is it time?

the problem with maintaining the Status Quo is because it usually leads to writers being lazy when it comes to writing, not to mention it can kill enthusiasm after a while cause a show will do something crazy but the audience knows it will all be back to normal by the end of the episode

as for status quo shifts, people generally only complain when the shift in question is dumb, like say that episode where Finn got dumped by Flame Princess to use a commonly complained about example

I guess shows that are perceived to be episodic and low-key on plot should change little. Like, The Amazing World of Gumball. Every episode generally centers around the family and at least one of them getting into stupid shit.

I can't think of any show where status quo shifts a lot. Perhaps shows with characters on a journey, always going to different places and meeting new people every episode. It's different in that regard, but the main characters are pretty consistent? I guess that'd still be considered "status quo". I have no idea what shows do the status quo change well, if that even matters.

>people that watch cartoons angry, indecisive manchildren who are never satisfied
News at '11.

>people are still mad despite having moved on from Technicolor Pastel Horses
Amazing. Simply amazing.

I was more upset when they blew up the library. Fuck this crystal castle bullshit.

That was 4 fucking years ago?

>Are there any cartoons that did it well?
Xiaolin Showdown. Only problem was not capitalizing on Jack's implied good streak.

Serves you right for watching shitty toddlers' shows like Barney, faggot

>liking cartoons
>not liking one of the best ones

>"REEEEE WHY DID THEY GIVE HER WINGS?"

I will never stop being mad

>Barney
>good
kys

Should've been reserved for the series finale.

What?

They clearly gave her sings for the sake of merchandising more than anything else.

How do you find it in you to care?

BLUE ARMS level of autism?

I'm more mad on that they redeemed the S5 main villain. Such an anti-climatic and petty reason and wasted potential of a villain.

The problem not lies on whether or not writers are choosing to change status quo or not, but rather on how they handle their decision. If the inertia or change is good, no one would really complain. If the inertia becomes stale or the change makes it bad, then people will complain.

>Barney
>having any potential
Shiller detected

I love you too, Lee.