It will end at Season 30. Mark my words

Reasons:
>nice solid number to end on, FOX can hype it up
>show has been creatively bankrupt for long-time, even most hardcore fans abandoning it
>the brief revival in some form of cultural relevancy and popularity among the kids around the movie and season 20 hype was totally exhausted by the turn of the decade: younger kids prefer family guy to modern simpsons by far (current family guy being in the same state that 2010 era simpsons that kids and young adults like/know it and can reference it, but most don't actively watch new episodes)
>in 2015, was still able to make the 10+ million viewer mark; this past May, ratings reached an all time low when the season finale barely passed 2 million viewers
>Harry Shearer publicly expressed desire to quit, probably won't be on board much longer
>Hank Azaria has starring role in new comedy series already renewed for a new season in 2018
>majority of cast members in 60s and 70s, one major cast member recently died
>FOX almost cancelled the show in 2011 over cast members' high salary demands of $500,000 each per episode
>local syndication revenue drying up as fewer local stations renew their contracts to air episodes, opting for newer sitcoms instead
>cable syndication revenue almost nonexistant as Simpsons's 300,000 viewer average on FXX on weeknights pales in comparison to the 1.5 - 2 million average shows like Family Guy, American Dad, and the Cleveland Show get in reruns on Adult Swim and TBS
>streaming revenue non-existent as it's only able to stream on special "Simpsons-world" app which literally nobody will pay for, as opposed to Family Guy which is still one of the most streamed shows on Netflix
>Family Guy still makes a significant amount of money from each new season's DVD and digital download releases; The Simpsons stopped at Season 17 in 2014 because it wasn't cost effective
>essentially, when it ends, Family Guy will still be enough to keep the $$$ flowing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1S8poOaSlGc
desuarchive.org/co/thread/87666313/#87666936
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled some gimmick and made Season 30 have 30 episodes, splitting it up into 2 years so that the show would end in 2020 (so they can say that the simpsons ran from the 1980s through the 2000s, 2010s, and into the 2020s).

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if they started airing classic episodes right before the new ones during Season 30 too.

For the finale, they'll probably air the first two episodes at 7 PM, a one hour special on the show at 8 PM, and the final one hour episode from 8 - 10 PM.

Hell they might even make the last two weeks a special two part finale that comprises 2 hours total.

What could possibly be done as a finale?

They're saying there likely won't be a second movie until the show is over.

Yeah, I could see them ending in 2019, possibly 2020, and then coming out with a movie a year or two after that depending on how popular the show still is then.

it really doesn't need a second movie. god how I wish this had ended at 2011

It didn't really need a first movie either. Or to go on for an additional 20 seasons.

amen

>The death of Homer
>All episodes taking place in the future were hypotheticals by professor. Fink
>Bart picks up a law book and goes "hmmm"

Season 30 - Marge wins the lottery at the start of the season, the rest of the season expect for the final episode details the struggles between Homer and Marge now they are millionaires.

Final Episode, Marge reveals that winning the lottery was part of a plot in a book she was writing and that Homer died a while back.

Man Roseanne really fell off the deep end

Remember that Simpsons is getting a 2nd movie.

OP are you dumb? Let me explain this to you in terms of opportunity-cost economics:

If a show does not have a replacement that will outperform it, there is no economic reason to replace it.

Need a time slot? Replace the show that performs the worst. Until no show in The Simpson's time slot performs worse than The Simpsons in terms of total earnings, The Simpsons will not be replaced.

Once The Simpsons becomes only marginally better (or worse) than all other shows in its time slot, it will be moved to another time slot, and that will signal the beginning of the end.

Agree. It's become a sad farce that sneeds to get chucked into the bin.

I feel like you need a real finale, then after that, a Treehouse of Horror.

The Simpsons and Family Guy aren't aimed at kids?

Simpsons was always more of a family sitcom. It has always aired in a prime-time slot.

Family guy is a retarded show for College stoners who laugh at beer jokes, fart jokes, and reminisce on stupid shit they did via "Remember that one time, when..." segues.

Has Stephen King ever written a Treehouse of Horror?

Sadly, this. Which is why we will eventually end up with pic related.

>Sprinfield beats all other Springfields in a contest of what Springfield can keep the name Springfield
>Homer develops diabetes
>Marge embarasses Homer
>Bart's antics are no longer considered cool by his peers
>Lisa is invited to be part of an elusive group of intellectual girls her age to only be denied for being too polarized
>Marge throws away all of Maggie's pacifiers to break her addiction
>The Power Plant shuts down, killing Springfield in the process
>Mr. Burns loses all of his wealth
>Disco Stu is Discoed-out
>Milhouse learns he was raised a boy but is actually a hermaphrodite
>Ned sends his kids to public school
>Reverend Lovejoy quits the priesthood, Helen loses her right to gossip
>Krusty becomes allergic to his white face makeup
>Abe learns he's half-onion

Broadcast TV will be close to total death by the time the simpsons ends.

>Krusty becomes allergic to his white face makeup
youtube.com/watch?v=1S8poOaSlGc

Finale idea: the whole series actually takes place in Ralph's head.

In the very last scene, the camera pans in on an old snow-globe of his that contains a replica of 742 Evergreen Terrace.

Then what the hell is it? Birb poop?

Finale idea: Bart gets mind control powers and throughout the episode he messes with everyone in springfield, but in the end he learns its better if they consent having sex with him and he comes clean, they all have an orgy except for maggie who was never in the episode except inada succ

Then it pans out
"Oh hey, Ralphie, it sure was nice of the Simpsons to give everyone these snowglobes, wasn't it?"
Cut to Moes
"Hey Moe, it sure was nice of Homer to give us these beers, but don't you think they taste a bit weird? UURP."

>inada succ

>As Springfield collapses economically & literally, the DMV becomes swamped with actual work that must be completed in the next fiscal year. In reaction to the development, Patty & Selma drive off a cliff.

>MacGyver climbs out from the rear seat and explains he MacGyvered the car to have wings and they fly off into the sunset together.

Does it really have to be so edgy? We've had several "alternate futures" already when the show thought it might end. I'd prefer that over homer dying.

Can't we just end on a touching note? The whole family gathered together watching tv or something? Maybe even have a rendition of the opening credits as the final scene. Officially making it canon. Bart gets out of after-school detention. Lisa gets out of after-school band practice. Homer gets out of work early. Marge drives back from the grocery store. They sit down, turn on the tv and that's the end.

That's a meme

Another film

Broadcast TV is free and available to millions more than cable or streaming. It's not dying anytime soon.

Fucking please, they'll go beyond that. I'm waiting for Seesun Nombar 46,297,4 of Da Sompseenz.

B̠́͘u̵̥͉̬͖͖t̟̞ ̨̢̤̬̣͚̤̞͖̥ͅw̡̛͔̬͕h̸̛̗͙̩̠̘́a̺̱̯̦͙̜͓͝t̸͇̖̘͈ ͕̠̭̀a̼̼̪͚̦̖̥͈͘͠b̠̠͕͇̪̦̺o̵̺͈̰͉ͅu̢̗̦̺ţ̴̶̝̯̞͎̦͉̰̠̮ ̮̺̺̯̹͈͉̹t͍͖̗̬̞͘ͅh̙͎͚͉͕̤͙͠e̷̥͎͜ ̖̤̩̳s̢̖͍̼̪p̷̘͙͇é̩̀c̵̘̻̱͟i̖͓͠͠a̠̘͍̦͖̭l̰͉̟ ̘̭͖͡͞a̵̺̦̰̜͈̬͚n͎͙̹͠͡n̥̬̼̮̮ͅḭv̗̰͎͍̥̙͍͠͞e̵̮̩̙ͅr̳̙s̗̠̺a͍̩̰̞̥͕͜r̘̼̬̯͉̰̹͡y̜̪̩͔̹͢ ̡̖͓̫͚́ḛ̞͙͓͎͚̦̝p̴̭̻ͅą͖̰̦͖̙ṛ̭̜͚͍̞͔̺s̬̗̖̬̙͘u͔u̷͉͚͎͙̪͕̰ḓ̴̫ ͉̘̘̤̜͎̳̕1̛̖͝,̶̸̰̝̘̫0̩͉̯͔͖0̬̙̝̰̮̕0̧̖͓͇͎̼̞͇͟,̸̟̤̘̖̪̘͈͡ͅ0̠̯̳͚ͅ0̶̩̩͔̜̬͚̳0̷̫̪͍͙͖͔̟̬͞?̛̦̣͕̩̤̯̻̳

Are you joking? We're at the point where networks are getting like 2 million viewers in prime time.

I love this idea.

Because of the power plant being so high with pollutants it causes another ice age and the family gathers around the tv as the prepare for their final night alive.
Maggie asks what's going to happen to them and Homer explains how he didn't take care of them for the future

I bet they have had a series finale episode made and ready for a decade now at least.

Even if they do cancel it, it will only be to reboot it in a year with all new character designs on par with The Looney Tunes Show.

>Finale is Maggie's 2nd birthday and/or first word heard in public

nice reference

this might be kind of cool.

>Maybe even have a rendition of the opening credits as the final scene. Officially making it canon. Bart gets out of after-school detention. Lisa gets out of after-school band practice. Homer gets out of work early. Marge drives back from the grocery store. They sit down, turn on the tv and that's the end.

That's a fucking awesome idea.

You forgot to mention that it'll pass Gunsmoke in episode count next season. They've been mentioning that as a target goal for years.

If only they would have the sense to actually do something like this...

>one hour episode from 8 - 10 PM.
Huh? Are you factoring in an entire hour of ads?

If I find that in the archive and Maggie's word is Sneed, I'm losing my shit.

I can't remember exactly but I think the spoiler wasn't important or something. Or the thread talked about the scene maybe having Maggie remove her binky, take a deep breath, and then it cuts outside the house and you just here Bart shout for joy or something before cutting back inside.

Sometimes ambiguous stuff is just better user. It's not important what Maggie said, it's that she said 'something'.

desuarchive.org/co/thread/87666313/#87666936
The word is "Shorts".