Homecoming at $705m with no China, Sup Forums on suicide watch

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/13/box-office-spider-man-tops-700m-wolf-warrior-2-tops-titanic-and-avengers/1

>Ironically, its relative failure is helping Spider-Man: Homecoming by continuing to make it the event movie for kids. The reboot earned $6.1m (-31%) in its sixth weekend for a fine $306.5m domestic total. It opened with $7.1m in Japan, which pushed its worldwide total to over $702m on a $175m budget. That’ll do, Spidey. That’ll do.

>Spider-man still doing worse than Wonder Woman

Sad.

Prepare for that miles morale movie.

>made over three times its budget
I see no problem here

Both are good movie, though, one doing better than the other isn't telling much.

TASM 2 made $94 million off China, and Homecoming has been drastically outperforming TASM 2 in every way. Chances are high that its gross will exceed WW's.

That is not fair! It was our time to rise!

At least our comic are much better and we don't have SJW shit.

>marvel's BvS making less than GotG2
wow

Nigga it's a well known fact that the only people on earth with worst taste than the Japanese are the Chinese, they eat up our shit movies like the Transformer series and the Fast and the Furious

>>marvel's BvS making less than GotG2

But Civil War got $1.1 billion, what are you talking about?

I read that the reason for this is because popcorn action movies and dumb slapstick/toilet humor comedies pretty much transcend language/cultural barriers in a way most films do not. What would be considered kino in China probably has no widespread appeal in the USA either.

Sure thing Marvelfag, sure thing

You told him Kamala, well done.
Now back to the station to your rape ro... I mean changing room.

>Homecoming
>good

>bragging about things that haven't actually happened yet
Sad.

The animated one? Yeah, looking forward to it.

Yeah Avenger movies are really big, but I was talking about BvS' equivalent ovie, Homecoming

Why Sony so obsessed with "progressiveness"?
Ghostbusters, Spider-Man, Dark Tower and etc.

I have feeling that only their gaming wing keeping Sony on float

Didn't Peter in Homecoming stole the fat asian best friend from Miles?

Seriously what does Miles has to offer now that one of the few things good about him is already tooken?

>Dark Tower

I always wanted to see that movie, it looks awesome.

>Seriously what does Miles has to offer now that one of the few things good about him is already tooken?
In fifteen years Peter would graduate and start working as a scientist. He would also likely be married with a pregnant wife. By then it would not be an issue to introduce Miles.

crusty old farts who devoutly worship marketing statistics and twitter trends as the Gospel of Mammon

1. He could be the ben reily/kaine stand in, and probably become a lonely spider.

2. There is another fat Asian somewhere.

I like how you try to keep this meme going, but it just doesn't work. Not even the trailer insinuated that Iron Man would be more than a side-character in a story focused on Spider-Man.

Pretty much "our" taste isn't much better

Why are people so determined to pretend everybody here hates this movie?

>Kamala stuck in shity looking like fan made wanna be GoT ripoff

sad

They got butthurt by seeing more than one minority represented on screen in fucking Queens.

Sure is COMICS and CARTOONS in here, fags,

Fags? Where?

>It opened with $7.1m in Japan
That sounds really bad. I know it's Japan but still reporting such a low number, why bother?

Didn't they decide to play it in Japan the same time the annual Kamen Rider movie came out?

You'd have to be a complete retard to go see Spider-Man over Karate Bugmen.

>Why report box office numbers in a box office article?
Are you stupid or just retarded?

It is competing in Japan currently against Despicable Me 3, Transformers, The live action Jojo movie, and a Ghibli anime.

Are you? I don't see the box office for every other country? Why even bother mentioning that one small number?

>That sounds really bad. I know it's Japan but still reporting such a low number, why bother?
BvS only got 4.4million opening in Japan
Captain America Civil War opened identically with Homecoming with 7.1 million in Japan

Basically, 7 million is good. Star Wars Force Awakens only got 10 million in its Japanese opening.

Please come back when any of the DC movies surpass Iron Man movie lol

>Are you? I don't see the box office for every other country? Why even bother mentioning that one small number?
Because Japan and China are the only two countries that didn't have Homecoming? So their opening numbers matter more than any other nation?

Because it's the push it needed to get over 700 Million, you ding dong. It's in the same fucking sentence.

>Suicide Watch

Most of the board expected it to do a billion

Because Japan has 300,000,000 people living in it? Rowanda certainly doesn't have 1/23rd of the World's population.

>competing with weebshit and Transformers
They were already dead

Because it's HIP and COOL
Their execs have got real serious "how do you do fellow kids" attitudes. They're constantly trying to make things appeal to what they think are the interests of young people.

Japan isn't a big market. The articles about the India Box Office were really embarrassing though

I really wish these threads arguing about movie gross had stayed on Sup Forums. They'd even make more sense on /biz/ than they do here on Sup Forums.

I wish you'd grow some thicker skin and learn to hide threads you don't like

>Homecoming at $705m with no China, Sup Forums on suicide watch
What word should I even filter to hide retarded threads like this "Homecoming" or "China", maybe Forbes?

Not that guy, but worldwide WW and SM are going to end up pretty close.

Homecoming has about 30 million more to look forward to in Japan (just opened on the 11th) and a potential 100 from China. Ant-man had the same delay as Homecoming and it still made 105 over there. At this point is a pretty safe bet it will pass Raimi's SM2.

Domestically SM has no chance though.

So its a Spider-man film that's doing OK. Won't set any records, isn't crushing anything , isn't the biggest movie in its own universe but did enough to be a decent success.

Who's happy or sad about this. If you're into the whole "company war" thing this just seems like the equivalent to a draw

>30 mil more

Maybe 20

>Who's happy or sad about this. If you're into the whole "company war" thing this just seems like the equivalent to a draw
When it comes to Homecoming, the main enemy of Marvel fans isn't DC but Sony itself. If you want to argue about DC then Homecoming is off target.

It just offset the narrative that it was some kind of huge bomb for Marvel and a sign of their decline.

Mostly it's not even a company war thing. I just think Sup Forums saw too many brown people on screen and pancaked.

Pretty much hit the nail in the head.

There like the Karamatsu of Movie Studios, expect not self-aware and funny.

>Who's happy or sad about this.
I think it's some sort off weird pol thing, people seemed happy with Homecoming "flopping" because of how "diverse" the cast was, as opposed to WW which had a mostly white cast (but a female Jewish lead). It's been a weird year.

But Wonder Woman was also a "feminist" film which had that for or against it depending on your angle. Yeah this years been fucked

It's on the same path as ASM1 which close to 40 million in Japan.

Wonder Woman has yet to open in Japan. Any projections for its performance there?

"wtf is this shit? wow americans have no idea how to do a magical girl movie."

Making Roland black is hardly important.

MoS did 8m, BvS 16m and SS 15m in Japan. Only Nolan Batman, Iron Man, Spider-man, Avengers level stuff tend to cross 30 million in Japan. Wonder Woman actually being good should at the least make 20 million likely.

Well it's a very loose adaptation and sequel actually of the books. But a pretty good flick that actually uses some other King stuff like Shining and those vampire fuckers.
Also blink and you miss them references to Cujo and the Shining sequel.

>marvel's BvS
They're making a Hyperion vs Nighthawk movie?

Wait why did homecoming not get china?

Miles gets a twunk Asian boy instead

I hope the director will be able to truly capture Nighthawk's inner conflicted world

>China
not with black people

I hope they make them gay.

yeah DCEU is such a failure

$7.1 million would make it the 4th-biggest opening in Japan for the year.

>4th-biggest
>in Japan
>for the year
you say that like it is supposed to be impressive.

>one uses A listers
>other uses C and D that are promoted to B with each movie.

For Japan, yes. They have a smaller population and a different market. Movies that do well tend to be steadier over time.

Thanks for the summary, Forbes needs to quit pretending they know shit about business if they have to review video games and use anti-adblock code to pay for their site.

this

You should've cropped out the years, that makes it blatantly obvious DC is slurping the cum out of Marvel's sloppy seconds because even Heath Ledger's life wasn't enough for the average American to see themselves watching more than three Nolan movies in one lifetime.

>So its a Spider-man film that's doing OK
In what reality is makng over $700 million is considered OK?

In box-office-reading threads, where marketing costs are always thrice the film's budget, overseas distributors keep everything and pay the studio in local restaurant coupons, and anything making less than a billion domestic is considered Blunder of the Century.

It's another episode of Sup Forums getting btfo, color me surprised.

Japan already made "Magical Girl vs. Germans" last year.
It will be old hat for them.

Sony doesn't give a shit what Americans think about their politics. Disney needed a strong progressive showing before people started noticing all their superhero blockbusters feature white male leads saving the world to avoid Wonder Woman making DC the discerning neoliberal's universe of choice, but they also wanted a foreign studio involved to blame things like race-swapping characters on if shit went Deep South and they needed to claim they wanted to keep Mary Jane white the whole time but those Japanese bastards wouldn't let them.

Disney and Sony know how to play people like fiddles, they're not making any missteps. If they seem to be incisively cutting to one side, it's only because they're so perfectly balanced on the razor.

I'll be glad when corps have all the real power, they're just more subtle and better at maintaining control than governments.

Abysmal. Gal's face doesn't look like a young Japanese woman's, the only chance it has is if people think the middle aged granny playing mahou shoujo dress up is hilarious and see it because of that.

It's still made less money than TASM.

You have to understand, Marvel Intern, that the ONLY reason Sony agreed to play along with your BS of shoving Manletman into the usual street-level/New York Spidey franchise, of making him 15 AGAIN, and letting you co-opt him for your Avenger team-ups, was the promise of once again seeing Raimi dollars, OR BETTER yet, Avengers, AoU and Avengers 2.5 (aka CA-CW).

For this shit show to do barely as well or barely better than TASM?

It's a bitter pill, marvel drone, a bitter pill indeed.

>Homecoming fails in China because they replaced all the beautiful white supporting cast with POC, and Chinese people don't want to look at that shit
>WELP, BETTER REPLACE THE STAR WITH A BLACK TOO!
What?

India goes to see it's own movies. It doesn't need Hollywood.

Sent :)

>It's still made less money than TASM.
No it didn't. Its made more money than both TASM movies and its world gross total is looking to surpass both

Suicide Squad wasn't released in China so the global average should be bigger than the MCU too